What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

[Landrace] Malawi, Durban (CBG), Ethiopian and Honduras

Home-Grown

Durban is even more interesting, aeems the longest is around 14h04 in december and shortest is 10h13 in june ! I wne tmaybe a little bit too much ahead thinking they were all 13/11ish, but seems it is much more complicated than that. That is great information still, and definitely correspond to what you say. because then, maybe their "veg time" is around 12h30 of daylight, and because the difference is so narrow, by august like you say, as soon as it gets lower, they start to flower maybe ! i am thankful i can log this and talk to people for help, because this was a good lead and i will have these information logged for future use, because my plan is to discover each species, to do single run later in order to reproduce the seeds for preservation. Its a dream i have so i don't know if it'll happen, but if i can I'm sure i will have lots of fun doing that and emulating as closely as possible their original environment !

Durban photo-period is very similar to central Australia.
This is why I have an interest in Durban Plant.
I have done decades of work and experiments in Photo-period triggers,
Agricultural control gear and some experiments in the timing and manipulation of photo-period.

This work is done with lights and or natural sunlight.
The required darkness is similar to full moon for many strains.
You can reduce light to less degree and extend semi-dark period to compensate.
THC is low requiring 11 or more hrs of light for production.
Flowering is spasmodic and yield low.

Good luck with your ventures.

ikinokori

hello guys, i hope everyone is doing ok. My next grow is going to have to wait, meanwhile here is my final review on the strain. I am going to remove the previous reports and condense the infos here.

Malawi :

Smell : very good, fruity with slightly gasy and dirty socks undertone. I like seeing peoples reaction of "ooh it smells good" and then " wait... what the hell" haha

Effect : Very mental punch in the face. Visual a little bit, and i have been told that too by people trying it. Feel good sensation. It does feel like a modern strain a little bit, but it is still different and more psychedelic. It's like modern effect focused in the brain and not the body.

Power : very powerful. Like a modern hybrid again, but not focused on the body rather the brain. Maybe what people would expect of a "powerful sativa". One person that smokes a lot actually was feeling a little bit weird and needed to lie down... that's how powerful it was. There is probably more powerful strains, but since it is not a traditional couchlock powerful, it is unfamiliar and can take you by surprise i guess.

Do i like it ? : i like it but i am not a fan. it is good, a little bit too powerful for me and very in your face. I smoke it once in a while when i want to be smashed, but it is not what i am looking for in weed. For a lot of people they love it though, it was often the favorite.

Durban

Smell : Vanilla, liquorice. Sweet. A little bit faint but very pleasing.

Effect : I wouldn't know how to describe it, it is actually very clear. Good for when i was sick with the flu, but it lacks personnality. It's strange, i have a hard time defining the high. i just felt high.

Power : Good. Not super powerful, but more powerful than both honduran and ethiopian. I'd say classic.

Do i like it ? Not really. Something is lacking. I loved growing it though, very beautiful. Maybe i had a bad pheno. Maybe it would be better in breeding projects as it is very transparent.

Ethiopian

smell : Woody with herbal hints in a good way (and not like in green way). Does not smell like weed and it is very stealth. Not pungent at all.

Effect : Very mental, but it makes me feel lighter and younger also. Very positive. I love it. Can be very misleading, it is so light and clear, i did not realize sometimes how high i was until i couldn't even stand properly. Active, functionnal... Can do the chores, talk to people, do sport... while being completely high :D

Power : Low, but no ceiling i have seen. The more i smoke the higher i get. Very tuneable high. Can be very trippy at high dosage, i often lose myself in my brain if i smoke too much, and not necessarily thoughts, more like dreamy trippy. and low paranoia ! amazing

Do i like it : a lot. In term of effect, it was my favorite of the 4 and one of the best weed i grew since a long time, which is impressive considering she is the only one who went bad in this grow at the end and did not finish in good health, although it went it full 16 weeks course and she looked ready. It probably can be even better properly grown. It was also the favorite of one of my friend who used to be a big smoker but doesnt like smoking the dutchenstein anymore. she said its like when she started smoking when she was young, and she even wanted more of that one in particular. she's disappointed in every classic weed now and she's surrounded by weed all the time so she knows what she talks about. It made me feel very happy and proud

Interesting side note, the other female i culled looked like she was going for way more than 16 weeks (and this without counting the first one or 2 week of flowering during stretch), probably 18 or 20 weeks or more as she was looking like she was 3 weeks behind the properly harvested ethiopian and barely making flower at 12 weeks while the malawi and durban both looked ready. Extremely surprised, maybe the strain has variable flowering time ? It sure looks like a true NLD

Honduras

Smell : the best cannabis i smelled, maybe ever, although this is probably personnal preference. I don't know how to describe the smell, except that it smells spicy, fresh, pungent, not like traditional weed at all, but you know it's weed. It fills the nose with this spicy goodness. When i mean spice, maybe it is not like typical spice. Something planty , it is hard to describe but it smells alive and amazing. Something hot and latin. did i say spicy ? haha :D I am in love and i open the jar often just to smell it, for real

Effect : Good, totally mental and hazey. Very funny and chatty, want to talk and in depth sometimes, i'd say very social. philosophical, a lot of thoughts and sometimes paranoia if too much. You get lost in what you are saying very often and go in depth in your thoughts.

Power : medium to low. high ceiling.

Do i like it : Yes a lot. In term of pure effects, the ethiopian takes the cake, but i love the chatty and funny effects, and the smell of honduran is so good... I don't like smoking it several days in a row because it puts me in a very self conscious mood, but i am very sensitive to that, so i have to altern. Maybe i need to try her again, but let it go more ripe, although i wsited more than the 15 weeks advertised. She really looked like she could handle more weeks health wise, so maybe it would mellow the high for sensitive people. I feel she has a potential of being narcotic though, so i wonder how much it would change the high and if the funny social effects are still there... to be continued

so as final words, both the ethiopian and Honduran were amazing and better than a lot of what i grew in the past They are very unique. My ethiopian, which looked like runts at first, outgrew almost everyone except the hondurans in only a few weeks after flowering, that was very surprising and the honduran was a total experience to grow, she was a monster, nothing could bother her and i've never seen such a resilient plant, she didn't even really care about me not giving her food until the 3rd week maybe. even the insects couldn't bother her. What a vigor !

anyway thank you for being here guys, this was an amazing grow and mostly thanks to all the support you gave me. i've made friends here, discovered plenty of new things thanks to you and it was an amazing experience overall. Thank you again and see you in the next grows.

Last edited:

I wood

Excellent descriptions, I have grown these as well and it is as if a more eloquent version of myself wrote the descriptions. Great summary.
My experiences match yours exactly with the exception of honduran, mine had mold issues at harvest and only sampled as an extraction.
Nice job on all of those and thanks for sharing.

ikinokori

Thank you for your words friend, it means a lot. Sad to hear about your mold issue on the honduran. She is definitely a strain wirth re-running again in my opinion, just thinking about her smell makes me excited haha

Tangwena

Veteran
Last two sound like my kind of weed nice descriptions man I will have to get some of those two for sure.

H

hard rain

I've only grown 2 of these, Malawi and Ethiopian. I completely agree on your description of both of those.

I just smoked half a j of the Ethiopian (which I haven't touched for a while) just to make sure. Wow, that has certainly brightened my day!

ikinokori

Last two sound like my kind of weed nice descriptions man I will have to get some of those two for sure.

Will be very interested to see how they do in your hands, specially ethiopian !

I've only grown 2 of these, Malawi and Ethiopian. I completely agree on your description of both of those.

I just smoked half a j of the Ethiopian (which I haven't touched for a while) just to make sure. Wow, that has certainly brightened my day!

haha it totally is a day brightener. I often find myself bringing only this weed with me when i go out, it is very telling

El Timbo

Great report! I have good memories of African Seeds Ethiopian Highland.

Did you take any cuttings to run them again? Some of these long flowering plants can be better second time round.

Last edited:

ikinokori

Great report! I have good memories of African Seeds Ethiopian Highland.

Did you take any cuttings to run them again? Some of these long flowering plants can be better second time round.

i did not. It is interesting, it is not the first time i saw that being mentionned. Does it really make a big difference ?

El Timbo

i did not. It is interesting, it is not the first time i saw that being mentionned. Does it really make a big difference ?

I always remember when I grew Dutch passion Durban Poison - I had 2 females from seed and took cuttings. The buds from the seed plants were nothing special so I decided to just flower the clones without keeping mother plants - well the buds from the clones were very good - I really regretted not keeping clones.

ikinokori

I always remember when I grew Dutch passion Durban Poison - I had 2 females from seed and took cuttings. The buds from the seed plants were nothing special so I decided to just flower the clones without keeping mother plants - well the buds from the clones were very good - I really regretted not keeping clones.

interesting. i will keep that in mind.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks ikinokori for sharing such an inspiring and accurate smoke report on the different sativas strains of this grow. :yes: much appreciated.

I concur with your experiences on the different genetics. You described very well the Malawi and its qualities. Malawi produces a very strong effect (very aggressive and overwhelming for most) that hits the mind in a way that modern indica hybrids don't do, therefore it can be surprising and scary for smokers who try the strain for the first time, especially in big doses. As you said, it's a strain for occasional moments when you want to get really high and 'cut' with the world, but it's not the most suitable one for daily use, unless you are a very heavy and crazy smoker with ultra high tolerance. Yesterday afternoon i smoked a medium sized joint of New Malawi Killer with 30 % THC and i had slight hallucinations in the sides of my eyesight, thought i could see persons that were not there :D 2 hours later i was completely destroyed on the sofa with my mind fried and lost.

The pure Ethiopian and pure Honduras are completely different as you have experienced. Very happy you liked them so much and that you know how to appreciate and enjoy these kind of very clear, cerebral effects without ceiling and without sedative body effects, users only used to modern indica hybrids most of the times don't know how to appreciate these kind of effects, glad it made your friend felt like smoking for the first time when we used to smoke in our youth cerebral sativas of funny effects and our brains and receptors were clean and not so saturated ehhehehe After reading your different smoke reports during these months i think you prefer the less tamed and rawer tropical landrace sativas of cerebral non ceiling effects, rather than the hybrid type of smokes.

It has been a pleasure (and i'm sure for others too) to follow your progresses and learn from your experience.
Glad to know you have also enjoyed with the experience and that you felt comfortable here with us :huggg:
Looking forward for your upcoming growing adventures! ;)

ikinokori

i agree with you. They were always my thing, i remember when i grew my very haze leaning mango haze for my first groe, some people didn't like it, saying my weed was crap. I loved it. And funnily, some cannabis lover said it was very very good, but different. Ever since i've been disappointed and almost left the cannabis world. i'm very happy this was the reason. thank you for being here too, for those strains, the support you gave me throughout this grow and how welcomed i felt here.

Last edited:

Home-Grown

Hi,

I have noticed difference between plant from seed and cutting!

But not always better, as described around forum.
That is not to say the cutting cannot be better!

I think there are a few factors relating to maturity and root development:
If the cutting comes from a sexually mature plant with pre-flowers.
If the Seed was grown without root restriction, such as NFT.
I found the mature unrestricted seed plant in NFT, outperformed her cuttings.

Some Cuttings have outperformed donor when the opposite factors are true, or growing Mother indoors and Cuttings out.
ETC.

I guess it is a bit like "Horses for Courses" :)

ikinokori

From what i have been told, a lot of the reason of flowering cuttings instead of seeds with NLD is because the seed plant will end up too big while when you flower with cuttings, you can allow proper root developpement while using an already mature plant. I never did that so this is what i have been told. Your explanation seems to explain that maybe too. I think i have to try this way next time, maybe i wont have to restrict pot size as much as i did this grow. If i remember correctly dubi told me what my ethiopian went through in the end of its life looks similar to what most NLD goes through indoors with small pots and restricted roots. I was thinking of managing time better and do something, but maybe cloning plants at sexual maturity and flowering them will be the best thing to do.

thank you

Home-Grown

Hi, I was not offering advice, as I did not read the conversation regarding pot size.

Just sharing my experience and thoughts as to why the performance of Mother and its cuttings may differ. In either direction!
I follow my experience, rather than what I've been told or read.

Keep in mind that most people here follow similar practices.
I expect to hear the same things being repeated.
Farming multiple crops a year inside and out the situation changes, where many of the forum mantra do not hold true.
Other than common treatment in controlled environments.
I find the Cutting out performs Mother under lights in coco.
Which holds true with forum.

I like to point out that there are exception to rules.

The pot size is interesting.
Cuttings could perhaps be planted into shorter pots than the "seed with its taproot" requirements.
Your cuttings from a matured plant, grown to Mature plant before flowering should do best.
Starting the flowering process with lights before transfer outside when days approach 12/12 also works well, as long as the temps are similar or plants are acclimatized.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts