What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Genetically modified cannabis:(

H

huarmiquilla

howdy Ina,

how you do?

am keen to share similar thinks with respect to transgenic cannabis
similar am open thinks with respect to genetic modify within cannabis

such not for design and create with input of various species, rather create artificially with respect to clone such genetic input within cannabis

such to create similar specimen with respect to resurrection

am not keen with respect to transgenic cannabis with input various species to splice
similar am not keen with respect to transgenic cannabis with respect to resistance to poison and synthetic pesticide

within total thinks always to being within natural form each bad and good
negative and positive

am keen to research with respect to hallucicoli
perhap with respect to such and such thinks positive energy

am keen to think indeed transgenic cannabis with respect to tobacco perhap various flora or culture indeed

am not keen to splice within random various genetic input, rather perhap natural similar mother milk

chant down babylon

positive vibrations

_Ina_

Veteran
OK,would you use that kind of cannabis for medical purposes or would you grow it if you know it is GM?I see most of the people prefer to NOT THINK about this:)

M

MrSterling

GM Corn causing cancer probably related to sugar intake does not equal GM cannabis causing cancer. This is a fallacy of logic. GMOs have been mostly misused, but at the end of the day it's just an extreme form of selected breeding. Blame the humans using the technology for profit, not the technology itself.

_Ina_

Veteran
May be you are right but i dont want to be "the rat"in this experiment:)At the end of the day someone makes profits from your health like usual,everybody knows that. if you know it was genetically modified would you grow it or use it in tinctures?I just want to know what people think about that EXTREME FORM of breeding:)

oldbootz

Veteran
even though there would have to be studies to clarify if this stuff would be bad for us in any way, i still am against it from the start seeing other studies done with GM maize and soya giving rats internal bleeding and tumors. and this stuff is freely sold without labels in some countries in the world like the USA and south africa. why the hell would you want to have some strange bacterias DNA in your plant in the first place? most of the reasons for creating GM food crops is to help the farmers mono crop with better success but us ganja farmers have gotten the hang of how to handle insects and funguses etc already. so the lazy money making farming types must just plain FUCK OFF imho.

as _Ina_ says - i dont want to be the rat either. and i dont want some other persons GM crop next door to me pollinating my crop either.

The Hatter

Veteran
Although it is possible to create a dangerous plant through genetic manipulation it doesn't pose any intrinsic sort of mutagenic or carcinogenic threat to you if you consume genetically modified plants. As others have mentioned it is a bit like hardcore selective breeding. The most likely sort of threat a modified plant could have is if the plant naturally produces some kind of toxin in it already, such at potatoes, which normally is in such small quantities that it does no harm. If you tinker with the genes related to controlling the synthesis of that toxin then you might end up with a much more serious dose of it in the plant you are planning to consume. I believe there has been at least one breed of potato they had to scrap because of this but it was a product of selective breading rather than gene splicing. I forget the name of the toxin but its most common in tatters that are greening from light exposure.

Anyway, the point is that gene spliced food is not as dangerous as people tend to think but at the same time it does have the potential to create something unhealthy if not properly regulated and tested. Unfortunately it is very doubtful any of these underground breeders creating genetically altered weed are particularly safety conscious. My guess is they are splashing plants with some kind of mutagen and crossing the fingers that it does something good rather than harmful to the plant. I don't think they are using high tech targeted gene splicing techniques like the real agricultural labs. I don't even think anyone has actually managed to isolate the genes responsible for THC synthesis yet.

Growdoc

Cannabis Helper
Veteran
ok just to be clear, nothing can give u cancer... its already HERE in the body.

people who are concerned about GM food should be, cause the testing is still in the baby stages. a proper study would have to be over 1000 generations of people.

Keep it simple

GrowDoc

M

MrSterling

May be you are right but i dont want to be "the rat"in this experiment:)At the end of the day someone makes profits from your health like usual,everybody knows that. if you know it was genetically modified would you grow it or use it in tinctures?I just want to know what people think about that EXTREME FORM of breeding:)

I think it's mostly fearmongering based on a lack of information and education, if you want my honest opinion. No one is being "the rat" in any experiment because all this talk of GMO cannabis is ALWAYS empty. Always. I'm against GMOs because they're used improperly for profit and they end up screwing the average farmer over. But that's not the fault of GMOs that's the fault of patents allowing companies like Monsanto to monopolize plant genetics.

The reason rats are developing cancer from GMO corn and soy is because they're fed huge portions no animal should ever intake and because no animal is supposed to eat just corn and soy for its diet. Frankly the problem is that we've allowed the basis of our entire food network to become corn and soy, not the nature of GMO. And the fact of the matter is something like 95% of soy grown is GMO. It's impossible to avoid it entirely, and as pointed up above we simply haven't been consuming them long enough for anything certain to be said. There is no real world difference though between selectively breeding for a plant which shows the qualities you're looking for and selectively switching that gene on using science.

Actually there is a real world difference, a huge amount of work and labour. If I could have the option to go in and flip on all the good genes for resin production, would I? Hell yes. If I could modify cannabis to produce massive amounts of medicinal cannabinoids that are usually only found in minute amounts like THCV would I? Fuck yes.

dddaver

Veteran
Double-speak and buzzwords annoy the hell out of me. The only "fallacy of logic" here is in thinking that man can improve on what God created and millions of years of evolution has produced. The evidence that proves that when man tries to improve what we are given, and then mother nature turning around and biting us in the ass, has been shown to happen over and over. But then again, I guess New York City now having a hurricane season is only logical. The only "fallacy of logic" in GM Cannabis fear is ignoring history and proof of science going too far. The whole point of turning on and off genes and how that is effecting mutations in other genes, and the loan term results of that are all but ignored by those imbeciles. Am I against fucking with mother nature? HELLS YEAH!

M

MrSterling

You can use quotation marks and call things you don't understand doublespeak and buzzwords, but it doesn't make them so, it just shows your ignorance to basic thought. Here - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies. It is a literal fallacy that argue that if some gmos have been deemed to cause cancer on rats, they must all be dangerous and have cause cancer. If one type of car has a higher rate of mortality do you blame the type of car or blame ALL cars?

Your post was rambling and empassioned but you really said absolutely nothing. You might as well be an ancient prophet warning about God's punishment amd fearmongering. What does NYC's hurricane season have to do with the actual science of GMOs other than to tie into a ridiculous argument about messing with God's design.

oldbootz

Veteran
in GM products they incorporate foreign genes from different organisms. they dont just turn a gene on or off in the plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrobacterium

the more you read the more horror stories you find. can you link me a study where scientists can actually change an existing gene to be on or off without using anything other then the original plants genetics ? to my knowledge they cant yet.

_Ina_

Veteran
MrSterling: Do you know which GMO is harmless or which one can cause cancer,or what they can cause? Do scientist know that? I dont think so.even if they know if it is already on the market they wont tell you"O,dont eat that,it is dangerous,sorry!" well,lets say this technology is in the beginning. Than why 95of the soy is already modified? Why there is fields of modified corn everywhere in the world?Because no one cares if it is dangerous for someone or something. They even hurry before the bad results start to show;)You are trying to say GM can be something good. May be in one perfect world with perfect people and scientists who will wait until they are sure about the results. In our(real) world the scientists working with the one who has the money. and they are doing/researching/giving results what this one wants/needs. i dont care about"could be...","should be" stuff,i care about the real situation.In our case the real situation will be GM cannabis "in the forest near you"or directly in your garden without the gardener knows.And if there is a chance,even 1%, these plants to be dangerous instead of cure?what than? Don't be so hurry with this:"Hell yeah,hell yeah"dear Mr Sterling:)

WelderDan

Veteran
I'd put money on Monsanto having a patent on some kind of Franken-weed.

St. Regis paper company as well as Augusta Mills for the fiber

_Ina_

Veteran
Monsanto,or may be some pharmaceutical giant,or seed bank big enough to try this for fast profits. "Profits"'is the key word here:)Can anyone tell me is it already made?here is one link with oppinion same as mine,but i,m not sure about the part with the huge fields of GM cannabis in Brazil and other regions. i like the opinion but i,m not sure about these facts. if someone has real info about the situation pls share.
http://ascendingstarseed.wordpress.com/tag/genetically-modified-marijuana/
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/has-cannabis-been-secretly-modified-_b_1688684.html

stickshift

I think it's mostly fearmongering based on a lack of information and education, if you want my honest opinion. No one is being "the rat" in any experiment because all this talk of GMO cannabis is ALWAYS empty. Always. I'm against GMOs because they're used improperly for profit and they end up screwing the average farmer over. But that's not the fault of GMOs that's the fault of patents allowing companies like Monsanto to monopolize plant genetics.

The reason rats are developing cancer from GMO corn and soy is because they're fed huge portions no animal should ever intake and because no animal is supposed to eat just corn and soy for its diet. Frankly the problem is that we've allowed the basis of our entire food network to become corn and soy, not the nature of GMO. And the fact of the matter is something like 95% of soy grown is GMO. It's impossible to avoid it entirely, and as pointed up above we simply haven't been consuming them long enough for anything certain to be said. There is no real world difference though between selectively breeding for a plant which shows the qualities you're looking for and selectively switching that gene on using science.

Actually there is a real world difference, a huge amount of work and labour. If I could have the option to go in and flip on all the good genes for resin production, would I? Hell yes. If I could modify cannabis to produce massive amounts of medicinal cannabinoids that are usually only found in minute amounts like THCV would I? Fuck yes.

Well said, it's not like they have been feeding soy etc to cattle for years!! oh wait.....

_Ina_

Veteran
Yeah,it is already dirty,why we must keep it clean now,it is too late so lets make it worst:)Like in every sphere of life. And after that:"o,it wasn't me,it was already dirty when i come"Well,i'm a bio grower,i make my own ferts and i eat homegrown veggies!In my country this GMO suppose to be BANNED(why,it can feed us all,righ). off course i know it can be stopped once released somewhere in the world but what,i should growing it to?