What's new

Commercial strains with best calyx/leaf ratio

budsicles

Whats a good one even l look like? Theres no pics or stats in this thread. Are we talking total number of calyxes or most mass of calyx meat?

The ratio of calyxes to leaves within the buds. Least number of leaves per oz. So the strains that trim very fast. I want the buds to be composed of only stacked calyxes, with no small leaves. Fan leaves are ok, not to mention necessary. Just want to avoid the smaller leaves that are intermingled with buds.

Here's some examples of better than average calyx/leaf ratio...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And some with poor calyx/leaf ratio...

jc_romulan_grapefruit-667x900.jpg

lashkar%20gah%20afghani-12%20(1).jpg

St. Phatty

Blueberry Headband, and a lot of crosses made with it.

There's a difference between fan leaves, and bud leaves/ sugar leaves.

I know dispensaries like the sugar leaves to be trimmed.

But, a lot of beginning smokers get real high off of sugar leaves.

If you have a good Blue HB plant, you can just focus on snipping off the buds at their base, and be close to done with it. Leaving the fan leaves on the stem, unless you are using them for edibles.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Wow busicles, 1 and 3 look awesome. Do you have a thread showing nutes and strain names etc? If not, please do one.

blays0r

A good while back, there was a ton of mid-grade stuff coming down from Canada. Most people called it "beasters." It wasn't bad compared to a lot of the brick sold in the states, but you could tell it was mass produced. Most of it turned out to be M-39. I guess it is (or used to be) a good strain for commercial production. Good calyx to leaf ratio and high yields, but probably not the best for overall quality, just good for commercial purposes.

budsicles

Sorry everyone, those aren't mine. I should have labeled them.

#1 is actually a skunk #1 from dutch passion pulled from this thread...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=110305&page=3

#3 is "cannalope haze" from this thread...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111138&page=5

The last one is afghani pic pulled from here...
https://potguide.com/strain-profiles/afghani/

Second to last one is romulan grapefruit from darkheart. I just did a google search for romulan and sensi star because they are kind of known for being leafy. Also afghani because the freebies I've tried have mostly been leafy.

If you have a good Blue HB plant, you can just focus on snipping off the buds at their base, and be close to done with it. Leaving the fan leaves on the stem, unless you are using them for edibles.
I had a mild batch of bbhb years ago that turned me off, but that's no excuse...it was probably fake anyway. Are there any related seeds you recommend?

The lower the colour temperature of your light the better the calyx to leaf ratio, thus HPS is best as opposed to CMH and most LED. Temperature is also a factor, with colder temperatures typically resulting in leafier buds, especially in sativa's and hybrids.

For example, here is the same Jack Herer clone grown under CMH and HPS. Under HPS, the branches stretched considerably more and filled in with solid, almost leafless buds. The 3000K CMH (plus cooler temps) shortened the internodes dramatically and result in much leafier buds.

HPS
picture.php

CMH
picture.php

Happy Times

The lower the colour temperature of your light the better the calyx to leaf ratio, thus HPS is best as opposed to CMH and most LED. Temperature is also a factor, with colder temperatures typically resulting in leafier buds, especially in sativa's and hybrids.

For example, here is the same Jack Herer clone grown under CMH and HPS. Under HPS, the branches stretched considerably more and filled in with solid, almost leafless buds. The 3000K CMH (plus cooler temps) shortened the internodes dramatically and result in much leafier buds.

HPS
View Image

CMH
View Image

Wow that’s the same clone!? I never knew the light would have such a big effect

Earlmarne

HPS
View Image

CMH
View Image
I would think there was a lot more to change here than kelvin

I would think there was a lot more to change here than kelvin
Nope! The same clone, same grow box, same watts (600hps v 2 x 315w cmh), same nutrient, same media, same grower lol :tiphat:

I prefer HPS because of this one significant difference. Abundant red light gives good stretch and stacks flowers.

Earlmarne

Nope! The same clone, same grow box, same watts (600hps v 2 x 315w cmh), same nutrient, same media, same grower lol :tiphat:

I prefer HPS because of this one significant difference. Abundant red light gives good stretch and stacks flowers.

Interesting, Ive been of the mind to switch to cmh from my de hps lamps. Will have to do some more research

budsicles

The lower the colour temperature of your light the better the calyx to leaf ratio, thus HPS is best as opposed to CMH and most LED.

Yes, this has been my observation as well. I mentioned it in the following thread a couple of years ago...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=329219

Thanks for posting the pics. It does a great job showing the difference. There's also a big difference between 3000k vero cobs and 2700k cxb. Even to the human eye there's a significant difference between the two. Too much nitrogen well into flowering can also have a similar effect. Hps is still more yellow than my 2700k led setup, but the benefits of cobs and spreading out the light far outweigh the spectrum benefit of the hps for me personally.