What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Commercial strains with best calyx/leaf ratio

Cocopal

A good while back, there was a ton of mid-grade stuff coming down from Canada. Most people called it "beasters." It wasn't bad compared to a lot of the brick sold in the states, but you could tell it was mass produced. Most of it turned out to be M-39. I guess it is (or used to be) a good strain for commercial production. Good calyx to leaf ratio and high yields, but probably not the best for overall quality, just good for commercial purposes.

It was the catalog number for sssc (super sativa seed club) Strains were labeled: m-1, m-2, m-3, etc. It was a Northern light#5/ skunk#1 but they couldn't name it that because of copyright from sensi seed bank. Quick finisher, very easy to grow, no odor and a very indica buzz wich you quickly get fed of. I suggest to stay away from this.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
As someone with a biological science background and 35+ years growing experience I think I can add further to the discussion.

Fwiw just wanted to share that Natural high is one of the more credible people here on icmag. Thanks again Natural high.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Nope! The same clone, same grow box, same watts (600hps v 2 x 315w cmh), same nutrient, same media, same grower lol :tiphat:

I prefer HPS because of this one significant difference. Abundant red light gives good stretch and stacks flowers.

Very interesting, those are remarkable differences, thanks for sharing. I am curious about veg and if the clones were each of the same age and height when flipped? Was each clone also vegged under the same light configuration that they were flowered under? And were each of those pics taken on the same day of flowering?

Very interesting, those are remarkable differences, thanks for sharing. I am curious about veg and if the clones were each of the same age and height when flipped? Was each clone also vegged under the same light configuration that they were flowered under? And were each of those pics taken on the same day of flowering?
Both Jack clones were the same as always - advanced clones about 8-10 inches in height raised under florescent light. Veg was done under the flowering light in both cases.

2100K HPS: Veg takes about 2 - 2.5 weeks, Stretch during the first 4 weeks of flowering is around 150 - 200%. At maturity (around 7 weeks) the top 18 inches of all branches are laden with solid, leafless buds as shown in the photo at around 6.5 weeks.

3100K CMH: Veg takes about 2.5 - 3.5 weeks as they take longer to get to sufficient size. Stretch during the first 4 weeks of flowering is about 100%. The photo was taken at 4.5 weeks after the stretch was done. At maturity the only the top 6 to 10 inches have solid buds and those below the first 4-5 inches are more leafy and not as dense.

DeMonet

I like CC Boss Hogg fem for its high yields of smallish to medium sized, rock hard buds that require virtually no trimming at all. The bud size pretty much precludes mold issues, and it's done in 9 weeks. Nice dieselly smell.

Got my keeper from just half a seed pack.

It has a very pleasant high that's a great daytime smoke for me, although I want something stronger in the evening. And people who don't smoke as much herb as I do are totally satisfied with it--not everybody wants to get obliterated all the time like I do.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Both Jack clones were the same as always - advanced clones about 8-10 inches in height raised under florescent light. Veg was done under the flowering light in both cases.

2100K HPS: Veg takes about 2 - 2.5 weeks, Stretch during the first 4 weeks of flowering is around 150 - 200%. At maturity (around 7 weeks) the top 18 inches of all branches are laden with solid, leafless buds as shown in the photo at around 6.5 weeks.

3100K CMH: Veg takes about 2.5 - 3.5 weeks as they take longer to get to sufficient size. Stretch during the first 4 weeks of flowering is about 100%. The photo was taken at 4.5 weeks after the stretch was done. At maturity the only the top 6 to 10 inches have solid buds and those below the first 4-5 inches are more leafy and not as dense.

Many thanks for the info - it’s appreciated.

Moving away from HPS and MH to LED, I have noticed differences that I have mainly chalked up to actual wattage drawn not being equal. I hadn’t really considered color temperature as a limiting factor - at least not to the extent of superseding genetics. But then I haven’t anything to truly gauge against, growing from seed. Soon I will flower under a 3000K Quantum Board for the first time; and am now very interested afterwards in running a clone under it, and one under HPS.

I’d pick that HPS flower over the CMH any day of the week!

Thanks again. :tiphat:

Jammal

I can't remember who does it, but there is an OG KushXCheese available in seed ,,,A good handful of these would find you a winner for your needs i think

Can someone recommend a Gassy Strain that is 9 weeks and under and has high Calyx to Leaf ratio. The Golosa by Delicious Seeds I am growing is horribly PM prone and way too crowded. The crazy thing is with regular devoted Foliar Treatments during Flowering PM still manages to sneak in those small overlapping Tertiary Leaves. I never healed how riddled with PM my environment is because I have been Growing Purple Punch which has to be one of the top rated anti PM strains in my opinion. And it does have Geraniol as a Terpene in its profile...

Latest posts

Latest posts