What's new

High leaf to calyx ration...genetic or not?

mtbazz

Is a high leaf to calyx ratio something that is more often than not genetic or a result of stress/improper feeding?

Last run I did one plant had a leaf to calyx ratio that was so large it was retarded, and i am not sure if it was a result of improper feeding or genetic.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Is a high leaf to calyx ratio something that is more often than not genetic or a result of stress/improper feeding?

Last run I did one plant had a leaf to calyx ratio that was so large it was retarded, and i am not sure if it was a result of improper feeding or genetic.
from seed (you didn't say) 10 seeds could display 10, way different, phenotypes (10 pheno types out of 10 seeds is very unlikely though).
so because 1 out of ??? 5 looks/is different is usually genetics. OTOH one could be way too close to a light or not getting enough O2 could cause some deformity. I hate trimming and base my strainage selections on low L2C ratios.

mtbazz

from seed (you didn't say) 10 seeds could display 10, way different, phenotypes (10 pheno types out of 10 seeds is very unlikely though).
so because 1 out of ??? 5 looks/is different is usually genetics. OTOH one could be way too close to a light or not getting enough O2 could cause some deformity. I hate trimming and base my strainage selections on low L2C ratios.

These came to me by another grower as clones, but I am pretty sure they guy who gave them to me started them from seed.

I was thinking maybe I was giving to much grow during flower. Trying again with this particular one so we'll see what happens. If it still looks like that one it's going to the hash pile and the mother is getting culled...no time for that shit lol...

S

sourpuss

Id say 50 50... same clone in different peoples hands usually have different outcomes.... from looks to smell to taste to potency.... might be leaning heavier on the grower side.. genetics matter for sure....

Last edited:

budsicles

80% genetics.....20% environment

I have seen numerous strains grow leafier under cmh than they do under hps.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Mostly genetics, but light spectrum seems to have a lot to do with it as well.... same plants flowered under MH are typically leafier...

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Lots of variables, but like Chimera said, genetics going to
play a big part in the calyx to leaf thing.

I have flowered the same clones from mother plants,
mothers from cuttings over time, and have seen an average
of ratio that favor cooler ambient temps over lighting
environmentals.

Same terpene profiles, but more leaf in warmer temps.

Good thread