What's new

Amendment question

Biggobelly

Which is better to add as an amendment to my basic soil recipe? Feather meal or Blood meal? Which will provide the micro-herd a longer lasting source of N to break down (given using equal amounts)?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Feather meal is made from the ground feathers of birds such as chickens raised for consumption. It is partially hydrolyzed under high heat and pressure, and then ground up. Growers use this byproduct for its high nitrogen levels, despite the fact that plants cannot easily absorb it in this form.

I'd go for alfalfa meal.

http://gentleworld.org/whats-hiding-in-your-organic-fertilizer/

Biggobelly

Also, should I be using Sodium Bentonite clay or Calcium Bentonite clay? I am assuming the latter, but wanted to make sure before I drop the dough.

Biggobelly

Feather meal is made from the ground feathers of birds such as chickens raised for consumption. It is partially hydrolyzed under high heat and pressure, and then ground up. Growers use this byproduct for its high nitrogen levels, despite the fact that plants cannot easily absorb it in this form.

I'd go for alfalfa meal.

http://gentleworld.org/whats-hiding-in-your-organic-fertilizer/

Thanks for the response, Aridbud! I already have been using alfalfa meal in my amendments, but the last batch was week in N. Looking to add more N to the mix without using bat guanos. Also have neem cake and karanja cake in the mix.

P-NUT

Veteran
Try fish meal but dont add as a topdress put in your mix. Its slower release than blood and all around better than feather meal. Both blood meal and feather meal come from animals more than likely given antibiotics and dewormed with something like ivermectin. Not saying dont use them as I have for years but fish and alfalfa is what Ive settled on after years of experimenting. Neem meal is good too I usually use it as a topdress at transplant cuz I feel the smell keeps bugs away somewhat but dont add later in flower or itll mess with the flavor.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
If you are looking for longer lasting sources of Nitrogen I would look at different kinds of seed meals to mix in. Neem will probably be the easiest to source or maybe something like cotton seed meal. Blood meal breaks down very quickly and can burn your plants very easily if overused. :yes:

Biggobelly

Thanks, all! I am putting in my order for Cotton Seed Meal and Fish Meal now. Should be here in a couple of days. Going to try fish meal first since I feed my girls from the bounty of the ocean whenever I can.

truck

use feather meal. Its is a slow release N, even though it has high N levels it also has higher levels of calcium than most sources of N which is a bonus in growing cannabis. This is also why the micro heard loves it.

truck

unsteamed bone meal is great to or fish bone meal, you want the chunky stuff. Good amounts of slow release P with ample amounts of calcium as well.

biggreg

Feather meal is a processed protein powder basically. The protein in feathers is hard to break down so it's supposed to be a slow release.

Blood meal is fast release they say

Both seem really gross to me. I'm looking for alternatives as well.

Something cleaner and with less animal cruelty and chemicals, drugs , and who knows what added.

Cotton is the most pesticide drenched crop ever. Cotton seed meal worries me too

How about unflavored and unsweetened vegan protein powders? 100% Protein is 16% N.

I used to order from these guys during my lifting days.
https://truenutrition.com/p-6606-alfalfa-greens-protein-powder-1lb.aspx

Alfalfa protein power at 50% protein so it's 8% n by weight.

They have hemp protein as well

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
even the argument against feather, bone & blood meal is pretty much ethical;
feather, blood and bone meals work WONDERS in soils, really they crush it, but have recently fallen out of favor among organic growers, for fear of anti-biotic residuals and industrial meat industry residuals
but
they kill it in terms of amendments, imo would beat the pants off neem meal. kelp is pretty key

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
feather, blood and bone meals work WONDERS in soils, really they crush it, but have recently fallen out of favor among organic growers, for fear of anti-biotic residuals and industrial meat industry residuals
but
they kill it in terms of amendments, imo would beat the pants off neem meal. kelp is pretty key

:yeahthats

Thcvhunter

Veteran
but

Quite the ego there.

Alfalfa delays flowering and elongates flowering times. Thats why.
Read the White Paper studies.

J

jaded1

I think the biggest reason for not using blood meal is the amount of bugs it attracts.Thrips love the stuff

biggreg

I'm guessing but I'd bet bloodmeal has a good bit of sodium in it? Cow manures can sometimes very salty.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quite the ego there.

Alfalfa delays flowering and elongates flowering times. Thats why.
Read the White Paper studies.

sorry if i came off as ego... duno how u got that from my post
"that's why ?" what? i didn't ask why about anything or even mention alfalfa in my post....

i use alfalfa but only in veg and mostly in teas and not as an amendment in my soil mix

Slipnot

I can understand why you would say to not use blood meal but what is the argument against alfalfa meal?

Because its very low on nutrients extremely slow on releasing nutrients, and only becoming available after bacteria and fungi has broken them down. Alfalfa meal is a great carbon source for beneficial soil bacteria, feeding them as they process other inactive nutrients into active nutrients. This is a great soil amendment when used in conjunction with other higher rated organic nutrients, and for very long duration grows - generally seasonal outdoor grows. This is not ideal for short grows or as a stand alone.

Slipnot

I personally stay away from bonemeals and blood meals i tend to like sustain my soil with constant progress of decomposing organic matter.
In a sense my soil is my compost bin with constant top dressing of goodies. Have not used bone meal, blood meal or manures in years .
I have implemented more EWC , and a wider variety of Greens including lots of coffee grinds that alone has kept my gardens extremely healthy from start to finish

Latest posts

Latest posts