What's new

Amendment question

Thcvhunter

Veteran
AVinash,
I was also replying to WhoDatIs when i mentioned Alfalfa in that post.

But yea, you came off as having a bit of an ego. What works for you works for you, not everyone. So some will have beliefs that go agains using Blood and Bone meal. But Blood meal also increases mold and PM problems.

Like I said, Kelp and Neem are all you really need. After that, its your artwork.
The thing is, you dont want high NPK numbers. Blood and Bone and Alfalfa have highly soluble NPK, blood and bone especially. Once your plant is in flower the alfalfa start breakin down more rapidly and is now releasing more N in flower than there was in Veg. Still recommend using Blood meal to everyone?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
AVinash,
I was also replying to WhoDatIs when i mentioned Alfalfa in that post.

But yea, you came off as having a bit of an ego. What works for you works for you, not everyone. So some will have beliefs that go agains using Blood and Bone meal. But Blood meal also increases mold and PM problems.

Like I said, Kelp and Neem are all you really need. After that, its your artwork.
The thing is, you dont want high NPK numbers. Blood and Bone and Alfalfa have highly soluble NPK, blood and bone especially. Once your plant is in flower the alfalfa start breakin down more rapidly and is now releasing more N in flower than there was in Veg. Still recommend using Blood meal to everyone?
i don't use blood bone any more and am phasing out feather meal (last box of bio-live) as well, should have said that to begin with

i didn't mean to come off as recommending bone and blood meals to everyone - but they can have their place, especially on a budget
i feel it's important to tell people the upside also, that you CAN grow outstanding herb in soil amended with blood and bone and kelp&fish plus DL or liming mix. i recall a great run i did a few years back in soil mixed on a tight budget - we used blood and bone fish kelp & liming mix, let cook, did great, yielded great (some strains nearly 2 lb per light), smoked great.

def the uncontrolled breakdown is an issue and most of the mixes with blood bone and alfalfa need that cook time to avoid ruining crops - i should not have said the argument against them is mostly ethical. thanks for pointing out their breakdown times as a concern.

i didn't like my results when using neem (should have been more clear because what doesn't work for me may work wonders for others- and there is a good chance i'll give neem / karanja meal another try).
instead i have been supplementing N with alfalfa (small amounts :D) and chicken compost (and the feather meal in biolive contributes i'm sure).
also been using fish aminos which are loaded with N

thanks for the clarification thcvhunter
:tiphat:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i guess the original question posed by OP stands tho, if you had to chose feather or blood for N, which would it be?

tough one kinda, i guess i'd say feather meal for N if those are your only 2 choices

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I huess feather if I had to chose. Less problems with mites and mold and better for flowering times.

I agree, neem can take a run or two to get used to. It stays around a long time, like Kelp, so feeding during flower can cause a hot smoke.
Also, I too love Chicken Compost. I only use it in Veg though. In flower I use a more mild compost, or just recycled soil.

Back to Alfalfa for a second,
There is a thread here that goes over the myth of triacontanol

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i saw that triacantonol myth thread a while back...

I huess feather if I had to chose. Less problems with mites and mold and better for flowering times.

I agree, neem can take a run or two to get used to. It stays around a long time, like Kelp, so feeding during flower can cause a hot smoke.
Also, I too love Chicken Compost. I only use it in Veg though. In flower I use a more mild compost, or just recycled soil.

Back to Alfalfa for a second,
There is a thread here that goes over the myth of triacontanol

Biggobelly

Would fish meal be a better choice? I started thinking about pesticides used in relation to cottonseed meal and thought a better alternative would be the fish meal (8-6-0). Would fish bone meal be a better alternative to steamed bone meal?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would choose coffee grinds but thats just me :):biggrin:

ya and i would choose chicken manure, i use coffee grounds sometimes with topdresses mosty to feed my worms....
but...
if
like op stated
only 2 choices....
then what?

Slipnot

ya and i would choose chicken manure, i use coffee grounds sometimes with topdresses mosty to feed my worms....
but...
if
like op stated
only 2 choices....
then what?

Well then i would say piss on your soil :)

Our urine contains significant levels of nitrogen, as well as phosphorous and potassium (typically an N-P-K ratio around 11 – 1 – 2.5, similar to commercial fertilizers)

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Well then i would say piss on your soil :)

Our urine contains significant levels of nitrogen, as well as phosphorous and potassium (typically an N-P-K ratio around 11 – 1 – 2.5, similar to commercial fertilizers)

It would burn the shit out of your plants since the nitrogen in it is immediately available to your plants. If you are serious about using urine on your plants dilute it down to a 10:1 ratio of water to urine.

Fecund. <--Not relevant to anything at all but it just popped into my head and it's all Mile's fault.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Coffee grounds can burn a plant - real bad.
Its best to throw coffee grounds in thencompost and then use the compost later. Or feed it to the worms.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Hopefully more people try to avoid Bat Guano... so the price can go back down! :p Personally love the stuff.

Use the blood if you want a quicker short term source, feather meal for a slower long term. 50/50 is a good suggestion to get both quick nitrogen and some slow release for a longer season. Only those 2 options, I would go 50/50 on outdoor, and use the blood only indoor.

If you have the time, energy, and funds. Using multiple different inputs for the same nutrients can work really well. As one input runs out of steam or slows down, something else picks up.

Know a retired grower whose recipe was really long. Don't have it hear atm but iirc it was probably 15+ different inputs. Her garden was very impressive. Not to say a simple recipe wont work well, and if you mix the wrong ratios of 15 things your bound to fail to.

Gl,
Mr^^

Biggobelly

Amendments

Amendments

Hopefully more people try to avoid Bat Guano... so the price can go back down! :p Personally love the stuff.

Use the blood if you want a quicker short term source, feather meal for a slower long term. 50/50 is a good suggestion to get both quick nitrogen and some slow release for a longer season. Only those 2 options, I would go 50/50 on outdoor, and use the blood only indoor.

If you have the time, energy, and funds. Using multiple different inputs for the same nutrients can work really well. As one input runs out of steam or slows down, something else picks up.

Know a retired grower whose recipe was really long. Don't have it hear atm but iirc it was probably 15+ different inputs. Her garden was very impressive. Not to say a simple recipe wont work well, and if you mix the wrong ratios of 15 things your bound to fail to.

Gl,
Mr^^

Is there a better slow-release N than Feather meal? I need something that will provide long term N. I read a post from a grower (somewhere...looked at tooo many posts on too many forums to remember which one) that puts an X of feather meal in the bottom layer of his pots and that seemed to do the trick for him. I'm only growing in 7 gallon pots so I'm thinking that wouldn't be do-able for me.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Is there a better slow-release N than Feather meal? I need something that will provide long term N. I read a post from a grower (somewhere...looked at tooo many posts on too many forums to remember which one) that puts an X of feather meal in the bottom layer of his pots and that seemed to do the trick for him. I'm only growing in 7 gallon pots so I'm thinking that wouldn't be do-able for me.

Neem is long lasting. Kelp is quicker.

growingcrazy

Can I hear Flax seed meal?

6-1-1, slower to release and available at most grocery stores in small quantities to 50 lb bags at the feed store.

MileHighGlass

Feather meal will contain arsenic, and blood meal usually comes from factory farmed pigs, aka porcine blood meal. That will be full of some crazy shit that I don't even care to list. Neem seed meal should not be used either. expensive to ship from india(not very green), does not interact well with soil microorganisms(people have not been sharing the entire truth) adds to much nitrogen to the soil. Potting soil of any kind(especially after recycling) will be very high in nitrogen so neem and karanja would be the last thing I would add to a soil.

Neem, and karanja cake are waste products that are being pushed on the american cannabis grower. They are completely unnecessary and don't bring anything to the table.

Now the die hard "coot followers" can attack me. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts