What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Soulfly's Grow Spot~

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
So I have been on IC mag for a few months shy of a year. I have a friend that likes to grow and has allowed me to learn in his ways. Did a small grow with 2 master kush (MK) and 2 northern lights (NL) in the garden. Ended up with 1 female of MK and NL. By harvest time it was found that the MK had hermied sometime during the process and their were small seedsacks through out all the buds.

I did what I could at harvest time. Pulled the seeds out and set them aside for future test grows. Its not clear if these seeds are good or not but it was decided that screw it, lets toss them in and see what comes! So with that said here are the goals and equipment at disposal:

Genetics - 40 Nirvana Master Kush seeds*** directly into rockwool
Veg - t5 with 2 blue and 2 red spectrum lights & DIY bathroom fixture with 2 27w blue and 2 42w white lights
Flower - 600 watt light and digital balance
Soil - hydroton and Pro-Mix BX in 5 gallon containers
Nutes - Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow & Pure Blend Pro Bloom

Project start date - June 25, 2008
Desired Female Plants at 12/12 switch - 10 (Do not know if these seeds are good or not so it was decided that we would have a modest goal)
Desired Harvest Amount - 1/2 pound or 8 ounces (This is probably a low goal but its better to shoot low and score big!)

So that is it for now. Once there are some photo's worth posting you will all see them =)

Till then - Fire it up!!!

~Soulfly

*** - read opening two statements to understand the lineage of these seeds. They ARE NOT 40 brand new GN Master Kush seeds!

Last edited:

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - July 2, 2008

15 have sprouted, 9 are about to break the surface of the rockwoll cubes, and the rest - well its unknown what will come of those, hoping for the best! You can see from the picture below we have tried to separate out the sprouts, the about to sprout, and the cant make up their minds (those are on the right hand side of the picture)

A close up of a few of the new members of the garden

And lastly a shot of the Veg. chamber. The T5 is elevate able but we are keeping it on close to the top so we can control nodal spacing.

Questions -

1) When would be a good time to start LST'ing these sprouts? I was thinking after the 3rd node is clearly visible. Is that to late or maybe to early?

2) Hydroton - can this be used solely as your grow medium or should it be mixed in a 50/50 mix with actual soil?

Last edited:

GoneGrowing

Hey soulfly :wave:

Sounds like you're good to go, that you've got what you need to grow some nice master kushes. I didn't quite get it from your first post, are the seeds you have sprouted from the seeds from the last grows hermieing master kush or are they 40 new seeds? But to answer your question #1, yeah that sounds like a good time to start lst'ing, after 3rd node, just make sure they're in good shape and then tie them all the way down and they'll bounce right back up with shoots everywhere. To your question #2, well I'm no expert, but if you were to use hydroton solely, you'd need to have some sort of hydro setup or you wouldn't get sufficient water and nutrients to the roots I guess. I like your plan with using 50/50 of perlite and soil better, or maybe go with lesser perlite, because the more perlite the more frequently you'll need to water IMO. But I'm sure you'll get a good mix to grow those babies, looking forward to following along.

soulfly22583

Veteran
GoneGrowing said:
Hey soulfly :wave:

Sounds like you're good to go, that you've got what you need to grow some nice master kushes. I didn't quite get it from your first post, are the seeds you have sprouted from the seeds from the last grows hermieing master kush or are they 40 new seeds? But to answer your question #1, yeah that sounds like a good time to start lst'ing, after 3rd node, just make sure they're in good shape and then tie them all the way down and they'll bounce right back up with shoots everywhere. To your question #2, well I'm no expert, but if you were to use hydroton solely, you'd need to have some sort of hydro setup or you wouldn't get sufficient water and nutrients to the roots I guess. I like your plan with using 50/50 of perlite and soil better, or maybe go with lesser perlite, because the more perlite the more frequently you'll need to water IMO. But I'm sure you'll get a good mix to grow those babies, looking forward to following along.

And my "Favorite person on IC for answering my questions" goes to you my friend =) haha

First off - We got a 10 pack of the GN Master Kush seeds. These 40 seeds were pulled off the hermied plant from my first attempt at those seeds. I figured if it was gonna give me seeds - then might as well use them! I didn't see anything in any of my reading material to show this was a bad idea and still hope it isn't

Second - thanks for the info on the LST'ing. Gonna go pick up some insulated speaker wire and try to make use of that to start them and then when they get a bit thicker stock ill use some string

Third - I actually rethought that and figured a 50 Hydroton/25 Perlite/25 Soil mix would be the most beneficial. I don't mind having to water often but would like to use the most beneficial/cost effective grow medium.

Thanks so much for answering my questions bud - *lights up a fat joint and hands it over* :rasta: :joint:

est1977

as for your Questions i tend to start training about the 4th node and yes you can use Hydroton solely as a medium

soulfly22583

Veteran
est1977 - Glad to see you pulling up a chair. Thank you for your input on the Hydroton too! It would see to me that having the babies rooted in rockwool cubes would give a pretty solid base to support them till the roots can really work their way through the hydroton.

:joint:

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Hey Amigo,
It's the Soulfly Show :jump: Glad to have a spot to come see what youre up too.

Regarding your questions- The timing for when to LST can be strain specific. My Ortega cant be bent once the stems get very thck at all but I have other strains that cant be bent a good month into veg. This C4 was growing as a small bush for probably even longer than that before I opened her up

I do everything in straight hyrdoton but I'm doing hydro ebb & flow. I have added hydroton to orchid and cactus soil mixes and it worked well for those plants. Consider trying a perlite heavy soil mix sometime.

Peace

soulfly22583

Veteran
Grow Tech said:
Hey Amigo,
It's the Soulfly Show :jump: Glad to have a spot to come see what youre up too.

Regarding your questions- The timing for when to LST can be strain specific. My Ortega cant be bent once the stems get very thck at all but I have other strains that cant be bent a good month into veg. This C4 was growing as a small bush for probably even longer than that before I opened her up

I do everything in straight hyrdoton but I'm doing hydro ebb & flow. I have added hydroton to orchid and cactus soil mixes and it worked well for those plants. Consider trying a perlite heavy soil mix sometime.

Peace

Hey bud! Was hoping youd find this =) Thanks for the info on the LST'ing. I will do some research on here about Gypsy's Master Kush and see if anyone might have noted when they LST'ed it.

In regard to the straight hydroton - I was thinking of doing just what you suggested and grabbing a couple bags of cactus soil (I hope I can find it down here!!) if not I was thinking of mixing in some stuff I saw at a local garden supply shop. Ill be posting an update soon!

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Hey Bro,
Ooopps...a bit of a misunderstanding here. I mixed the hydroton with cactus mix to plant succulents and orchids. Not sure that cannabis is going to like the cactus mix.
For cannabis in soil I have used this

Edna's Best Potting Soil
E. B. Stone Edna's Best Potting Soil now contains mycorrhizal fungi which are beneficial organisms that colonize the roots of most plants and become a natural extension of the root system.
Contains Composted Fir Bark, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Redwood Compost, Mushroom Compost, Volcanic Pumice, Earthworm Castings, Washed Sand, Kelp Meal, Bat Guano, Feather Meal, Gypsum and Mycorrhizae.Oyster Shell Lime and Dolomite Lime are added as pH adjusters. A natural wetting agent, Yucca shidegera saponin, has been added to help remoisten the product.

mixed 3 parts potting soil to 1 part perlite.

You can go all out and mix your own soil but this was suggested to me as a good compromise by another grower.

Here's contact info for EB Stone if you want to see if anyone carries it in your area http://www.ebstone.org/contact.php

Peace

Z

zoolander

Hey SF :wave: Best to you and your grow my friend and be checkin back soon .

soulfly22583

Veteran
Grow Tech said:
Hey Bro,
Ooopps...a bit of a misunderstanding here. I mixed the hydroton with cactus mix to plant succulents and orchids. Not sure that cannabis is going to like the cactus mix.
For cannabis in soil I have used this

Edna's Best Potting Soil
E. B. Stone Edna's Best Potting Soil now contains mycorrhizal fungi which are beneficial organisms that colonize the roots of most plants and become a natural extension of the root system.
Contains Composted Fir Bark, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Redwood Compost, Mushroom Compost, Volcanic Pumice, Earthworm Castings, Washed Sand, Kelp Meal, Bat Guano, Feather Meal, Gypsum and Mycorrhizae.Oyster Shell Lime and Dolomite Lime are added as pH adjusters. A natural wetting agent, Yucca shidegera saponin, has been added to help remoisten the product.

mixed 3 parts potting soil to 1 part perlite.

You can go all out and mix your own soil but this was suggested to me as a good compromise by another grower.

Here's contact info for EB Stone if you want to see if anyone carries it in your area http://www.ebstone.org/contact.php

Peace

HAHA - As i typed up my response I was asking myself "wait - cactus dont require as much watering as cannabis, does it?!" I will look into it more my friend and let you know what I end up doing

ConceptOfSleep said:
Sweet! Looks like an interesting show for sure Soulfly!!

Ive definitely got this one tagged!:lurk:

:joint:

Glad to have you along for the show bud! Ill have to start putting in what i have playing music wise when I do updates!
:joint: :headbange

zoolander said:
Hey SF :wave: Best to you and your grow my friend and be checkin back soon

Hey bud, good to see you checkin out the Soulfly Grow Show =) Look forward to any input you have to share!

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - July 13, 2008

Last night I moved the babies (now at 22!) into 3 inch jiffy pots with some Miracle Gro Moisture Control soil. I know this is probably not the best soil to have used but it is all I had at the time.

I am still looking up the best way to make my soil for these when they finally go into 3 gallon pots - still thinking a mixture of hydroton, perlite, and something like pro-mix HP.

I tried uploading pictures I took this morning but they don't seem to be working - Once that gets fixed I will add pictures to this post =)

thatguy

I'd use coco and perlite, if I was you. Well, that is actually what I am using right now, with GH Flora nutes. Hydroton is kind of expensive compared to coco bricks(just make sure you rinse them thoroughly with water) and perlite. It'll hold water and air great.

Nice to see a Heddy Metalhead down in NOLA! Either of the 2 were hard enough for me to find.

All the best,
TG

thatguy

Forgot to mention. You got me thinking of NOLA metal, so I just finished listening to Acid Bath- Pagan Terrorist Tactics and am now listening to Soilent Green's Sewn Mouth Secrets.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm tagging this one. I've got some little uns at the exact same stage (but Dutch Passion), should be interesting to see how similar they are. soulfly22583 I hope you don't mind me watching :wave:

soulfly22583

Veteran
Update - July 18, 2008

The babies are doing great. I think that I messed up one one of my smaller babies and let it sit to closely to the fan and got all dried out. I havent pulled it out just yet because I want to give it a fighting chance but only time will tell on that one. I am starting to see 3rd and 4th nodes start on quite a few of the plants. I will be uploading pictures as soon as the site uploader is fixed - I promise!

thatguy said:
I'd use coco and perlite, if I was you. Well, that is actually what I am using right now, with GH Flora nutes. Hydroton is kind of expensive compared to coco bricks(just make sure you rinse them thoroughly with water) and perlite. It'll hold water and air great.

Nice to see a Heddy Metalhead down in NOLA! Either of the 2 were hard enough for me to find.

All the best,
TG

thatguy - Thanks for the suggestion. Ive never used either medium so I will definitely way out the prices of each. In regards to NOLA - I'm close to there but not quite in NOLA. How far are you from NOLA if you dont mind me asking? Glad to see you here watching the show!!

Ow and BTW - PTT is my favorite Acid Bath CD! Did you ever see Dax's newest band, Deadboy and The Elephantmen? I got to see them play live in San Diego - talk about an experience. I dont know who was more fucked up, me drunk and stoned or the drummer practically falling over on a H binge, haha.

Sammet said:
I'm tagging this one. I've got some little uns at the exact same stage (but Dutch Passion), should be interesting to see how similar they are. soulfly22583 I hope you don't mind me watching

I am truly honored to see you tagging my thread! I have seen your threads and also appreciated your commentary on many threads here on IC Mag. I will chime into your thread and see your DP progress =)

chubbynugs said:
I love the MK so i will be poppin in often to see this grow.

Great to see you here bud! I look forward to seeing your comments and thoughts while I take on my first full blown MK attempt =)

Grow Tech said:
Time for an update Soulfly!!

Thanks bud! Hehe, I was trying to hold out till the picture uploader was fixed. I hate updating with out pictures to share - doesnt seem like a real update to me. Glad to see I got someone watching out for my progress - thanks brother :joint:

So that is it for this edition of the Soulfly Grow Spot Update, please check back as soon as you realize the pic uploader is working. I should have pics in here by then!

Till then, fire it up! :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts