What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you keep cats out of your planting beds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montana

This is very simple, cat's never shit or piss where they eat, cats love oats.

sprinkle raw oats around, they will never shit or piss in your garden ever again.

Also, go to the seed store and get some "cat grass" plant them a patch of this along with some catnip, they will laze around and chew on these crops you grew just for them, you need to make friends with the cats, not enemies, cats are very smart, and very vengeful, if you try scare tactics, they will invite their buddies to come piss on your shit as well, invite them in and make them feel at home.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I don't allow my cats to go outside. Cats that are outside tend to have fairly short lives, although I'm sure that some one out there has a 20 year old cat that been outside for 25 years and is still kickin, but my cats stay in doors.

MJBadger

Veteran
Motion sensor sprinler or a web search for Lion Dung . A lot of companies have hit on the idea of a dried pelleted lion dung , the raw material supplied by a lot of zoos .
No cat/rabbit/deer will go near lion dung , the smell of a real big predatory cat will make most mammals quiver .
4get any means of violence/pain to the furry buggers , just scare them off without injury . Rippers don`t deserve any respect so please think about nasties to those , not a living animal .

K

kannubis

This guy works pretty well to keep the other ones out.

picture.php

He leaves me pieces of gopher too. Symbiosis works.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I dug out a spot next to the garden about the size of a litter box and filled it with
kids play sand. The only thing cats like more than freshly dug soil, is freshly
poured play sand!

Cannasylum

I like the lion poo idea hahah. Im gonna use it for outdoor. Tho, I'm not sure animals in my parts will know what they should relate the smell of lion excrement to. Do all animals have pre registered lion poo smell traces in their brains?

G

greenmatter

got a really good size garden that the guy next door's cat spends most of its time in during the summer. no i am not really a cat person but the thing hangs out back there for a reason. its just being a cat. i don't mind him screwing up things every now and then if he is chasing mice. my dogs do more damage chasing him if i leave the gate open. it's just a cat. if i shot every person who pissed me off with a BB gun Crossman and Daisy would would send me a christmas card every year in county jail. i know if the cats owner was shooting at my dogs with a BB gun because they were barking thing would get ugly fast and i still would not hurt the mans pet

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
got this a couple days ago and there are a couple recipes in it for repelling cats

0017d91c_medium.jpeg

2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons powdered mustard
5 tablespoons plain flour
2 quarts water

1-mix pepper, mustard, and flour together in a large bowl
2- add the water gradually, mixing all ingredients thoroughly as you go
3-pour mixture through funnel into plastic squirt bottle
4-squirt mixture where cats are likely to walk on their way to garden beds

yields 2 qts

also spray white vinegar onto stone or concrete surfaces where they are likely to visit

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Does anyone know any tricks to keeping cats out of my garden? i just tilled and waiting for temps to go up a bit before i plant. neighborhood cat(s) seems to like to use it every other day or so. Just trying to avoid shooting them. Ive tried everything, even renting traps from the local animal control(caught a bunch last spring, no feral cats here anymore) but the cats left learned to stay away from it....looking for inexpensive home remedy type solution.

There is actually a spray they have at pet stores and alike.. I know it's supposed to work. I have also heard mothballs but then you have to have that awful smell from them lol good luck peace out Headband707:tiphat:

I just read orange peels lol they don't like it. So Orange peel is a good pesticide aswell

Last edited:

MJBadger

Veteran
Do all animals have pre registered lion poo smell traces in their brains?

An awful lot of prey speices do , even if they have never smelt a big predatory cat before they will react with fear , it`s a predetermined survival instinct .
I know one of the repellants made from lion dung & sold uk is called Roar . If my memory serves me right when i was looking for a product to keep the deer away from my MJ i done a lot of web wandering trying to find out more about lion dung as i`d seen it mentioned on a documentary on a zoo . It also was a by-product they could sell rather than have to dispose of at cost .

bentom187

Veteran
i think they keep more rodents and other pest out,to try to eliminate them is foolish,i love animals and cats are benificial,feral or not....you could make a friend and keep everything guarded as well... we are not the only ones on the earth.

G

greenmatter

i think they keep more rodents and other pest out,to try to eliminate them is foolish,i love animals and cats are benificial,feral or not....you could make a friend and keep everything guarded as well... we are not the only ones on the earth.

:yeahthats

MJBadger

Veteran
you could make a friend and keep everything guarded as well... we are not the only ones on the earth.

vERY TRUE but even if he made a little furry friend it would`nt stop it digging in freshly tilled soil , most cats are built that way & love scratching in it especially to crap .

I've got 5 cats and mulching works great...

good for the plants to .

bentom187

Veteran
indeed,introduce some sort of distraction for it or somthing more tempting there plenty of ideas out there

K

kannubis

I didn't get a catpiss pheno in that planter ^^ :) The part around the edge is left bare, so if he poops in the planter its in the bare part I think. The neighbors ignored him and he decided to move in here with me cuz I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts