What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My clones do NOT resemble their mother !

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I have always been lead to believe that a clone was a perfect copy of the donating parent plant. I have tried to produce clones yet, they all seem to freak out, ending up looking like this.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong ?

One pic is of the three clones I stuck in a pot filled with soil and once recovered, switched them to 12/12. The last pic is of another clone which was left behind in the veg. room.

Attachments

• clone1.jpg
    clone1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 6
  • single clone.jpg
    single clone.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

dodo5678

Was the mother plant in veg when you took the cuttings? I've seen many threads where the plants look like this when they switch back from flower to veg due to stress. I actually have a set right now with single leaves and triple leaves. It took about 4-6 weeks after i saw the weird growth appearing for them to start shooting normally again. now i'm starting to see leaves with 5 blades. Other than those signs of stress, they should come around and everything is gonna be okay.

Good luck!
-dodo :joint:

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Was the mother plant in veg when you took the cuttings? I've seen many threads where the plants look like this when they switch back from flower to veg due to stress. I actually have a set right now with single leaves and triple leaves. It took about 4-6 weeks after i saw the weird growth appearing for them to start shooting normally again. now i'm starting to see leaves with 5 blades. Other than those signs of stress, they should come around and everything is gonna be okay.

Good luck!

Well I waited until she showed her gender before cutting the clones.
The mother wasn't in the flower room when cut.

Here is the Mother Plant, she is just about ripe for harvesting. (approx. 4 ft tall)

Attachments

• Indica-dominant cola of TRIUNE of MEN.jpg
    Indica-dominant cola of TRIUNE of MEN.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 6
T

twisztdauthorit

they look fine to me. IME sometimes cloning will throw out a few sets of single leaves before returning to normal

dodo5678

Here is the Mother Plant, she is just about ripe for harvesting. (approx. 4 ft tall)

Man- go on with your bad self! You may have to cut that thing, i don't think they make a zig-zag that e'ffin big :yoinks:

ourcee

they look fine to me. IME sometimes cloning will throw out a few sets of single leaves before returning to normal

yep.
I get weird numbered sets of leaves regularly after cloning, some single bladed fans, two, three, usually only for a couple nodes worth of growth, everything else is normal.

darksith

its totally normal to have different number of leaf patterns on new growth of clones and seeds. Looks to me like those first clones are budded out. When you say you took the clones after she showed her sex, does that mean that she was a mature plant or that she was a couple weeks into flower mode? You can clone when in flower, but there is more risk than if you clone in veg. Just give them some time, and they won't be exactly the same as in branches and such, close but not exact. Depends on the nodes and such for branch patterns.

outdoe

WTH. Is that the cola Hung over the Pot or is that just a cola growing out the pot?
if its the latter what strain and were the hell u get it

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
looks like your clone is revegging??? did you take it from a mother that was in flower...? thats what it look like to me re vegging plants always look like shit...

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Hello everyone, to clear things up. I took four clones upon the plant reaching maturity under a veg cycle. After taking the clones, I then placed the mother in to the flower room.
The 3 plants in the one container have been in the flower room for about 2 weeks and, the single plant in the small pot is still in the veg closet.
The picture of the mother plant is her growing in a 5 gallon pot. She is about a week away from finishing. The fan leaves had all died at this stage and so, I remove them to allow the plant to use the energy towards the buds rather than trying to heal the dying fan leaves.
She is about 4 foot tall and as you can see, the entire length is filled with buds.

She is part of my breeding project I am calling TRIUNE of M.E.N.
http://www.icmag.com/modules/Journal/viewentry.php?journalid=353

I am cross-breeding 3 landrace strains, Mazar I Sharif, Ethiopian, Nepali

B

blazesck

I agree with PoopyTeaBags that it looks like the clone is re-vegging. I couldn't say what's causing it to re-veg instead of growing out of the existing top, though. What's your method for rooting clones?

I'm excited to watch your breeding program in action :biggrin:

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Reveggin for sure. Under how many hours of light did you keep the mother before taking cuts? What kinda nutes are you using? I have seen flowering plants throw out 3 fingered leaves if they are stressed.

Stay Safe

Owl Mirror

Veteran
re-vegging ~ Reveggin for sure

The 3 plants in the pot have been under a 12/12 light cycle for a few weeks.
The growth seen is actually some form of bud making.

clonebuds2.jpg

clonebuds.jpg

My method of making clones is rather simple.
I wait until my plants have matured, normally after the sixth node the preflowers begin to show.
Then I generally take the lowest four branches as my clones.
I cut the branches, scrape the last inch of stem lightly, cut the stem under water at a 45 deg then stick it in some cloning powder and, plant it in a cup of soil.
I keep them under a 24 hour veg cycle (same cycle as mom).
They always seem to root fast and begin growth above ground after a week.
I did put the 3 above in a large pot after a few weeks of vegging to see what they would produce and how fast a turn around I could get growing from clones rather than seeds.
So far I'm not liking the results.

PharmaCan

Veteran
That single clone definitely looks like it is revegging - either that or it's been swapping sap with a eucalyptus tree. It's kinda weird that it would do that under the circumstances you've described???

If you plant your clones in their own pots and grow them right, you will be happy with the results as compared to seeds. If you are just screwing around with shoddy techniques, expect disappointing results.

That reveg thing still puzzles me. Do you have any auto-flowering genes in your mix?

Good luck with your breeding! Nice looking bud, BTW.

PC

Sick

How do you get a plant to grow/bud like that? Do you just cut off the side branches?

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
If I only looked at the first 2 pics you posted owl, and did no reading, I'd say for certain that you took your cuts off a plant that was at least a few weeks on its way to blooming, because thats what it looks like when blooming plants get forced to reveg(I know because I've done it many times on purpose).

This almost feels like a episode of House, where the patient is not telling the doctors the whole story...................nothing personal owl.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Now if that's tru, and it was because it was taken during flowering, after it reveg's.... it should go crazy with growth.... can't remember the word? Maxicropping or something.