What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get rid of “The Slime” aka “Brown Slime Algae” aka “Cyanobacteria” forever!

U

Ultra Current

EDIT: in the next 2 weeks I'll add in more info, pics and details to the first post to make it perfectly easy for you to understand exactly how to do these treatments. Stay tuned but until then there is plenty of info in this post to get you on your way.

I’ve seen the slime many times throughout the years and have tried many things to eradicate it and now I found the secret. The Slime is known as Brown Slime Algae but don’t be fooled by the name because it is not an algae. People have thought for many years that it was an algae but electron microscapy has shown that it is actually a Cyanobacteria. Anyone who has had to deal with this slime knows how nasty this stuff is and it multiplies like crazy within 24 hours. The Slime comes from your drinking water and can be very hard to get rid of. Some people can get rid of it with a good Bleach or Physan20 but I’ve had the slime for years in 3 of my EZCloners and no matter how much Bleach or Physan 20 that I use, it just keeps on coming back stronger. Every time I get the slime I have to resort to going to the grow shop and buying a new easy cloner which is why I currently have 5 ezcloners. I believe that if you have the slime and you tried to clean it with Bleach or Physan 20 and it didn’t work, it is because the specific slime that you have has built up a resistance to chlorine. There are organic approaches in keeping the slime at bay but it is still there waiting for the opportunity to take hold of your plants.

Here's a couple of pictures of some cuts that have "The Slime":

Here are pictures of new cuts that came from the same EZ Cloner that was covered with Slime after I gave my Erythromycin treatments for 6 days (cuts were in the cloner for 10 days):

The slime looks like clear, brown or yellow snot. In this post, I will explain how to get rid of the slime forever. The first approach that I would suggest that you do is to quadruple the dosage of bleach or physan20 and run your cloner or equipment for 24 hours with the bleach or physan 20 after soaking the lid or equipment in the bathtub for 6 hours with bleach. If you continue to get the slime after that, then you will know that the slime that you have has become resistant to chlorine and you will have to take the more extreme measure.

Here is a picture of the Erythromycin product that I use:

The extreme measure that you may need to take is an antibiotic and the antibiotic that I’m talking about is Erythromycin. If you must take this extreme measure, do not treat this lightly. You do not want this slime building up a resistance to Erythromycin and becoming a Super Slime. You will also want to wear gloves, goggles, a mask and long sleeves so that you don’t inhale or get any erythromycin on you. You can buy Erythromycin at a store that sells exotic fish. You will need to give at least 4 treatments over 4 days and you will want to finish all 4 treatments so that the slime isn’t able to build up a resistance. If you are trying to clean out your cloner, it is important to take out the sprayers and clean out the inside of the manifold. I was surprised to see that inside one of my manifolds, there was slime everywhere. Take the manifold to the bathtub and fill it up with hot water and just keep shaking out the dreaded slime. You should know when it is all gone because when you fill the manifold up with water and turn it upside down, you will see water coming out of every hole where the sprayers were. If you still see a clog then that will be a sign that you still have slime in there. If the slime is stuck inside one of the sprayer holes, you can use a toothpick to stick in there to release the slime back into the manifold and then continue filling it up with hot water and shake the rest of it out. After you are done with washing everything out, you will want to unclog any sprayer and screw them back into the manifold and fill up the Cloner or equipment up with just water and add your first treatment of Erythromycin. You will continue to add your Erythromycin every 24 hours for at least the next 3 days but to be safe I would continue treatments for a total of 6 days. Make sure when you are treating your cloner or equipment that your pumps are turned on so it will clean the inside of the pump and manifold.

When you are done with your treatments, make sure that you throw out your neoprene collars and buy new ones to avoid possible contamination and also because the collars can hold the Erythromycin. You should also throw out any filters, tubing and air stones and replace them with new ones. Next you will want to dump out all of the water / Erythromycin solution and thoroughly wash out your cloner or equipment with water including the pump and manifold. Make sure to run your pump when you are cleaning it with water. Now you will be bacteria free and The Slime will be gone forever. From this point on, you should also consider boiling your water for 20 minutes on the stove and letting it come back to room temperature and only add back that water to the cloner to avoid getting another case of the slime.

N

Nondual

The Slime is known as Brown Slime Algae but don’t be fooled by the name because it is not an algae. People have thought for many years that it was an algae but electron miscopathy has shown that it is actually a Cyanobacteria.
I don't get it. Cyanobacteria are algae or maybe more correctly alga. Antibiotics for algae? So how do you go about getting an antibiotic prescription for algae? I have run hydro and have dealt with algae.

EDIT test.

U

Ultra Current

I don't get it. Cyanobacteria are algae or maybe more correctly alga. Antibiotics for algae? So how do you go about getting an antibiotic prescription for algae? I have run hydro and have dealt with algae.

You are dead wrong. Cyanobacteria is not algae. If it were algae it would be very easy to get rid of. Here is a quote taken right off of The University of California Museum of Paleontology:

"Cyanobacteria are among the easiest microfossils to recognize. They are larger than other bacteria, and morphologies in the group have remained much the same for billions of years.

Like other bacteria, cyanobacteria have no nucleus or internal membrane systems. In many species, however, the external membrane has been folded to increase total surface area. The "packets" created in the cell membrane by these foldings are the surfaces across which the chemical reactions of photosynthesis take place.

All cyanobacteria are unicellular, though many grow in colonies or filaments, often surrounded by a gelatinous or mucilaginous sheath. Nostoc, pictured below at left, may produce spherical colonies as much as three or four centimeters in diameter. These are large enough to be mistaken for amphibian eggs. Fossilized cyanobacterial mounds are called stromatolites.

Despite the fact that they lack flagella, many cyanobacteria are capable of moving about. Oscillatoria, pictured above at right, gets its name from the "swaying" motion of its filaments when observed under the microscope. No one has yet determined how these filaments are able to do this."

Like I said Cyanobacteria is not algae. People thought that "Brown Slime Algae" was algae so they named it wrong. They were mistaken just like you are. The real name is supposed to be called "Brown Slime Bacteria" but people are confused. Now you know.

U

Ultra Current

wow man i can totally relate to your post; got 6 unused ez cloners sitting around because they got this "super slime"

i might take them back out and try this Erythromycin; could you elaborate its method of use a little bit more?? i have known about buying antibiotics at pet stores for some time; they are indeed some of the same prescription anti-biotic given to people; sold without a prescription.

i have already tried the heavy bleachings but that didnt work the slime came back immediatly; h202 has little to no effect; i can fill an ez cloner with 120 clones and this slime you have described so perfectly will kill them all!! i have not personally used physan 20 yet....
The Erythromycin works perfect!!! I just finished my treatments and The Slime is all gone. I would suggest that if you take out cuts that are already in the cloner and treat the cloner, don't put those contaminated cuts back in. It is highly possible that there will be some Erythromycin residue left behind and your clones are already contaminated and they will receive that residue. Only put new clones back in once you finish the treatments. Read my first post above very carefully after you go to the store and buy the Erythromycin. Please follow every step that I stated above and you will never have the slime again!

N

Nondual

Read my first post above very carefully after you go to the store and buy the Erythromycin.
Where I live in Cali erythromycin is available by prescription only so once again how do you get a prescription for your plants or just walk into your local store and buy some?

Now you know
Yeah well I've dealt with Nostoc, Microcystis, Spirulina platensis, Chlorella regularis, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, Gloeotrichia, Anabaena and maybe what you consider algae such as Laminaria et al for the better part of the last 20 years.

Interesting though the use of antibiotics for cyanobacteria. I've always seen them a bacteria/plant hybrid.

Here's a couple of pictures of some cuts that have "The Slime":
I mean seriously...what strain is in the pics you're posting? What is it exactly you have going on? If you want I can refer you to a few labs that can do some testing.

U

Ultra Current

Where I live in Cali erythromycin is available by prescription only so once again how do you get a prescription for your plants or just walk into your local store and buy some?

Yeah well I've dealt with Nostoc, Microcystis, Spirulina platensis, Chlorella regularis, Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, Gloeotrichia, Anabaena and maybe what you consider algae such as Laminaria et al for the better part of the last 20 years.

Interesting though the use of antibiotics for cyanobacteria. I've always seen them a bacteria/plant hybrid.

I mean seriously...what strain is in the pics you're posting? What is it exactly you have going on? If you want I can refer you to a few labs that can do some testing.

I just called 3 exotic pet stores in Cali and they all had erythromycin. You must be real high. The point of this thread is to inform you that cyanobacteria is not algae. The cut in the picture is Chem D and the slime that you see on it is a Cyanobacteria. My friend heads the microbiology dept for Harvard University. I don't need it tested by your friends. One day youll figure it out.

N

Nondual

I just called 3 exotic pet stores in Cali and they all had erythromycin. You must be real high. The point of this thread is to inform you that cyanobacteria is not algae. Case closed.
No not high at all. I just called the local pharmacy and they said that erythromycin is by prescription only. I guess that's for human consumption though. I never looked at fish stores. Glad you finally said where to get the stuff from.

Case closed regarding that? So you're an algal expert?

Still though what is it exactly you have going on in those pics if you haven't had any lab tests done? You really don't know do you?

U

Ultra Current

No not high at all. I just called the local pharmacy and they said that erythromycin is by prescription only. I guess that's for human consumption though. I never looked at fish stores. Glad you finally said where to get the stuff from.

Case closed regarding that? So you're an algal expert?

Still though what is it exactly you have going on in those pics if you haven't had any lab tests done? You really don't know do you?

I'm not here to have a pissing contest with you. I'm here to help people. I stated in the first post of this thread that you can get erythromycin at a store that sells exotic fish. You just didn't read the post properly. Have a good day sir.

N

Nondual

I'm not here to have a pissing contest with you. I'm here to help people. I stated in the first post of this thread that you can get erythromycin at a store that sells exotic fish. You just didn't read the post properly. Have a good day sir.
Yeah but that post has been heavily edited and for whatever reason the edits are allowable for a few days without forcing an 'EDIT' tag by the system here. I just edited a post I made on 10-31 and no forced 'EDIT' tag. It used to be pretty short fused that way but now seems you can edit away for a day or two. A day ago those pics weren't up and seems the post has doubled in size.

Very cool that this may be an option and not taking that away from you. Seems you're basing this on dealing with fish tanks? What exactly is the 'brown bacterial slime'? What strain is it? Is that what you have?

I dunno...so now we've gotten into antibiotic treatments for hydro issues?

it is because the specific slime that you have has built up a resistance to chlorine
That's a pretty blanket statement. Do you have proof?

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I have cyanobacteria in my tap water and the only thing I've found that works is bubbling ozone into the water. I haven't noticed any slippery crap inside my buckets since I started doing that.

Another thing, when I'm rinsing out containers or tools from the grow room, they get only the hottest water. My hot water heater heats the water up to 145f, thats pasteurization temps so they are probably dead from the heat when rinsing with hot water.

edit; I haven't tried erythromicin, but if my ozone bubbler breaks I'll try it.

Herborizer

Veteran
Found it at PetSmart: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals E.M. Erythromycin Anti-Bacterial Fish Medication

For broad spectrum treatment and control of bacterial disease, such as body slime, mouth fungus, Furunculosis (open lesions and swelling), bacterial gill disease and hemorrhagic septicemia (blood spots without sign of skin damage). For use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. Can be used with any API Ich, fungus or parasite remedy to help prevent secondary bacterial infection.

This medication will not color the aquarium water.

Made in the USA.

Ingredients
sodium chloride, erythromycin phosphate, silica amorphous, fumed, crystalline free

Last edited:

Herborizer

Veteran
Found from another site:

Other Names:

Blue-Green algae, Smear algae

Color:

Blue-green, may also be brown or black.

Appearance:

Very slimy, when disturbed comes off in sheets. Grows quickly and covers all surfaces in the aquarium, often giving off an unpleasant swampy or fishy odor.

Cause:

Cyanobacteria
High levels of organic wastes
Anaerobic conditions
Also referred to as slime or smear algae, blue-green algae is actually the organism cyanobacteria. Overgrowth of this organism generally occurs when there are high levels of dissolved wastes and nutrients in the water.
This may be due to lack of water changes and regular maintenance, overfeeding, or because the tank is new and the beneficial bacterial colonies have not become established. However, because cyanobacteria can fix it's own nitrogen, it can appear even in a well maintained matured tank.

Cure:

Physical removal
Clean tank well
Partial water change
200 mg erythromycin phosphate/10 gallons water
Once established, blue-green algae is difficult to eradicate. It can initially be removed by scraping the glass, scrubbing gravel and plants, and vacuuming the substrate. However, the algae will soon return, especially if the underlying causes are not corrected. Regular ongoing water changes and maintenance will delay and sometimes eliminate reoccurrence.
Treatment with erythromycin will eliminate the bacteria causing the slime. However, use of erythromycin can also affect the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium, and should be used with care. If such treatment is used, monitor ammonia and nitrite levels closely for several weeks.
Note: Algae eaters do not eat cyanobacteria.

Prevention:

Regular water changes
Regular aquarium cleaning
Avoid overfeeding fish
As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures. Unfortunately it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance. In fact, small amounts of algae is normal. Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems.

Herborizer

Veteran
Interesting....

So my well-water tank has this slime in it. My fish tank has this slime in it.

I bet this is why my Chlorine treatments work. I keep adding back Chlorine and I bet this keeps it at bay.

U

Ultra Current

Found it at PetSmart: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals E.M. Erythromycin Anti-Bacterial Fish Medication

Some people can get rid of it with chloride and many others can't. It's the 200mg of Erythromycin that got rid of it for me. Listen to other people who can't get rid of it with crazy amounts of chloride. One day you will see.

Herborizer

Veteran
Some people can get rid of it with chloride and many others can't. It's the 200mg of Erythromycin that got rid of it for me. Listen to other people who can't get rid of it with crazy amounts of chloride. One day you will see.

I believe you, don't worry.

eyes

Veteran
ive had it in my cloner before but never had a problem washing it out and hitting it with hydrogen peroxide to return things to normal. another reason i do coco. too many pathogens in water culture.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Algae is a catch-all term. With modern methods, biologists have divided this hodgepodge up into a number of groups. Cyanobacteria is one of them.

Feed stores are another place to find antibiotics not marketed for human consumption.

U

Ultra Current

I just wanted to say that this Erythromycin is fucking incredible! The growers who can't get rid of the slime are going to be so happy when they try these treatments. You will finally be able to take your old slimy cloners out of the storage room and put them back to work. I am so sure about this guys and know that it will work wonders for you as long as you follow all my steps. Don't get lazy and miss a day of treatments and you will be good. All the clones that had the slime were all able to root and are healthy. They will go to the trash though cause I don't want to use treated cuts. I just want to make this clear, treat your cloners with this treatment, not your clones. We don't know what effect this will have and we want to be safe with what we put in our body. Now some people don't want to believe that the slime that we are discussing here is not algae, but they are very wrong. Algae must contain a nucleus to be classified as algae, and the slime that I speak of doesn't contain a nucleus becaus it is Cyanobacteria. This thread will help many growers for years to come.