What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get rid of “The Slime” aka “Brown Slime Algae” aka “Cyanobacteria” forever!

S

SeaMaiden

Nice thread, may Ultra Current "guest in peace" for starting it, and alerting us all to the notion that our tap water may be teeming with chlorine-resistant cyanobacteria. The public health implications of this are... what exactly? I drink a lot of filtered tap water. This might explain why my poo smells like my slimy reservoir sometimes. Sorry if that's TMI. :rolleyes:

OK, ok, so based on everything I've read here and elsewhere, I'm going to get my gear as clean as possible, and then try to prevent this stuff with beneficials. Probiotics, not antibiotics. AquaShield, EWC tea, that kind of thing. Happier plants, happier me.

And if that doesn't work for DWC with my water, then I'm switching to coco.

BUT WAIT, since coco is a hydroponic medium, why don't we get the dreaded slime in coco grows? Anyone know? Or does it happen there, too?
Cyano requires submersion in water, not so much a liquid film.

Glad you found the thread. :)

Chaghatai

I'll add to those that believe the slime is often cyanobacteria. Here's one way to diagnose it short of using a microscope: it often causes salts to precipitate, so you will see excess salt buildup on the walls, roots and anything else in the res. Because of this, by the time it's on the roots, you may see signs of calcium, nitrogen or sulfur deficiency. Those minerals are what cyano commonly precipitates. I also associate it with a frequent falling ph, although I do not know what the mechanism for that is. It smells like good compost.

I'll see if I can get a microscope and get some pics that'll prove it once and for all.

And the reason erythromicin works on this stuff and not algea, and algeacide like quats only weakly affects it is not some arbitrary coincidence. The taxonomists have it right: cyano is a bacteria. It has no nucleus, and shares the protein chemistry that erythromicin disrupts - just like a bacteria. Don't let the presence of a photosynthesizing pigment fool you. It's bacteria that have these pigments, the chloroplasts of a plant is a symbiotic bacteria that ancestral algae took up in evolutionary history as surely as the mitochondria is for animal cells.

olyippie

I'm not here to have a pissing contest with you. I'm here to help people. I stated in the first post of this thread that you can get erythromycin at a store that sells exotic fish. You just didn't read the post properly. Have a good day sir.
I commend your patients with some people, I thank you for the help. I been fightin this shit for months...

olyippie

There is plenty of information at your figure tips to do your own research. You seem like you are too smart for your own good. I gave the advise that I needed to give, to help out the thousands of other growers that will read this. I have made many contributions to this site in many names. I've seen professional people like you many times who have no idea what they are talking about. That diploma that you have sounds like a big waste of money. I've been growing for well over 15 years and take this shit very seriously. I never started this thread to debate but there are many closet growers like yourself that have nothing to do with their time. Me, I'm no closet grower and have many locations and partnerships that keep me very busy. Instead of debating eminem and all the posts that you post on this site you should start your own threads to help this great community. The real heads know what's up and that's all I really care about. Judging from your pics, I don't even believe that you grow trees. This is my very last response to you in this thread and you will now be ignored.
good for you... I don't know how you keep your cool. but I'm thankful you just didn't say screw it & quit...thanx

olyippie

I agree with most of what you are stating. I handled myself in a poor mannner. After cleaning the veg room and smoking a joint of Chem dd, I realized that I may have acted as an asshole and I apologize for that. My personality is all over the place and I medicate with weed instead of perscription. Weed usually brings me back to earth. I probably should have provided more info and just not come back cause everything I needed to say is in the first post. But seriouly I'm done with this debate or whatever it is. Just do a little google search on Cyanobacteria and you will find lots of info about colors and all sorts of shit hat some people came in here like it wasn't true. I might seem like I have an attitude but it seems a lot of time people just want to argue. People want to try and discredit me but this thread I don't say "I think", it a thread about this is how you kill it. It's right to the point in he first post just like it should be. No one want to read through 100 posts of shit to get to the answer like in most threads. Fact is that I know what I'm talking about. I take this shit real seriously. I've been living off of this for almost 20 years and it's not all about money. I don't claim to know everything and I'm constanly learning more shit all the time even when I thin there's nothing else. This has been my passion in life and there's nothing more that I love more in life than learning about these plants. I plan on posting many tests on this site in the future in many subjects but next time I'll try to be nicer even when I'm being attacked. It's like when you post up knowledge on this site, you have to defend yourself cause your under attack. If you want to talk shit and reply then at least do a little google search and be prepared at least. People want to debate colors when hey can find out there wrong in a second but then it turns into this. Whatever it is I apologize to any who feels that I offended. I don't feel hat I need to say anything else here unless I run another test on his subject. To any growers who are having this problem, feel free to tell us how it all went, good or bad. The end.
no, your not the asshole here... I'm trying to get some answers that you seem to have & all I see is these guys fucking with you. thanx for your help but they make me spend time reading bullshit I don't need.

Latest posts

Latest posts