What's new

Shishka's fresh start

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Gonna try and germ these buddah tahoe og x mr nices. All the mr nice crosses are pretty old tho so Im not banking on them.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Seems like the old seeds arent able to push up through the medium. Been looking at seeds lately, pretty sure Im gonna be making a purchase soon.
Im kinda wanting a cookie variety but then again Im pretty open to just about anything so I keep going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole.

Went through and did a count of what is still alive after getting nute burned and its 3 chem4xn91, 3 ghs chemxsssdh, 3 ecmnxn91 and 1 gg4xn91.
Ive pretty much just left them alone and gave them water, maybe a little cal mag but no real nutes. They seem like they are pretty hungry for n so I hit them with some 3-2-6 at 130 ppm with some microbes today.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
3 days later and I can deffo see some new growth finally. Only thing, it looks like a little upward curl on the leaf edges and a top leaf pulling to one side, which kinda falls right in line with the lack of cal-mag in the feeding. I can only really see it on the most developed seedling but Im thinking I should just add the cal-mag to all the plants.

Here is the c4xn91 that is showing the deficencies

picture.php

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Good to see you sticking with it man. Should be some fire in those Chem4 x N91. I'll be watching.

Trich_Tyson

Looks good from here. Just hungry IMO. I’d be giving em .4 EC worth of a base. With no added cal mag.

I try not to fix nutrient issues when I have them. More of a reset. Undoing the issue rather than correcting. flush with a very low dose of base nutrient (.2 ec with some runoff)..
Then the next day I recharge with base at .4-.6

Edit: I also bump the ph to 6.0-6.2 for a wider range of uptake. And slightly lower N uptake. That’s in coco... in promix if normally feeding 6.2i guess I’d bump up to 6.5ish

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Looks like things are improving. A shot from yesterday vs today.

B4
picture.php

After
picture.php

Different plant still after.

picture.php

I should be able to water within the next 2 days.

Got an 1/8 of something called bluegirl?
Its got a blueberryish taste but not full bb, kinda hazey too. Could be blue dream.

picture.php

picture.php

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Looks like things are improving. A shot from yesterday vs today.

B4
View Image

After
View Image

Different plant still after.

View Image

I should be able to water within the next 2 days.

Got an 1/8 of something called bluegirl?
Its got a blueberryish taste but not full bb, kinda hazey too. Could be blue dream.

View Image

View Image

Maybe it's a cross of Blueberry x Diamond Girl ?

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Maybe it's a cross of Blueberry x Diamond Girl ?

I had never even heard of a diamond girl until you mentioned it. I was thinking maybe it came from gsc but the bud had no real cookie smell or flavor.

How is the gelato going for you? A guy told me he would rather have a fruity pebbles or a gelato rather than a blueberry.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
I had never even heard of a diamond girl until you mentioned it. I was thinking maybe it came from gsc but the bud had no real cookie smell or flavor.

How is the gelato going for you? A guy told me he would rather have a fruity pebbles or a gelato rather than a blueberry.

It's pretty decent smoke. Just finished the last of it yesterday. My oldest found a seed in a nug. Already popped it, it's above soil. I have the flowered plant in for a reveg. If that doesn't work, pretty sure my source will resend.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
I hit them with a .4 ec mix of 1/2 npk and 1/2 calmag

Top left=c4 x n91
Bottom left=mr nice xn91
Top right=ghs cd x sssdh
Bottom right=gg4 x n91

picture.php

Side view
picture.php

C4 x n91
picture.php

Looking a lot better.
picture.php

Got an 1/8 of some "sour" I think this is ajs sour. This is the stuff I remember as sour.

picture.php

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Went through and topped the ones that had a few nodes and it looks like the deficency is clearing up.

While topping I noticed quite a bit of reek from the c4 x n91s, especially the recovering one.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
I hit them with a .4 ec mix of 1/2 npk and 1/2 calmag

Top left=c4 x n91
Bottom left=mr nice xn91
Top right=ghs cd x sssdh
Bottom right=gg4 x n91

View Image

Side view
View Image

C4 x n91
View Image

Looking a lot better.
View Image

Got an 1/8 of some "sour" I think this is ajs sour. This is the stuff I remember as sour.

View Image

It almost looks like beasters, lol. That rounded vac sealed look it what makes me think that. Interested to see what the GHS Chem x SSSDH turns out like. The other crosses that male made were all super SSSDH dom.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Damn, I forgot to mention I got some bagseeds from a buddy at work. It was the same guy that got me the gg4 a few months back but hes not sure what the bud they came from was. He brought me 2 batches and isnt sure if they were the same, so I did them in 2 batches.

Started soaking them on wednesday, they crack in a few hours, they got planted on thursday and 4 are above the ground already.

He gave me a little sample of the bud and I just cant pit my finger on it because the sample was so small. All I can say is it was earthy, spicey and all around kushy.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
It seems to me that the c4 x n91's (especially the mag deficent one) are in need of some extra magnesium. There is a little bit of calcium and magnesium in the 3-2-6 I use but it just doenst feel like enough for a few plants.

Also it seems like the cups arent drying up quick enough with has me thinking I should water slightly less than usual and keep the medium at the perfect moisture level constistantly by 1/2 drenching more frequently.

So with the recently planted bagseed I kinda flung the containers around like a centrifuge to pull more of the water out before planting the seeds. They got a .35 ec of 3-2-6, calmag and extra mag with microbes.

Im also thinking its about time to put these babies under a real light. They prolly need something more in order to grow bigger by now.

onavelzy

Veteran
It seems to me that the c4 x n91's (especially the mag deficent one) are in need of some extra magnesium. There is a little bit of calcium and magnesium in the 3-2-6 I use but it just doenst feel like enough for a few plants.

Also it seems like the cups arent drying up quick enough with has me thinking I should water slightly less than usual and keep the medium at the perfect moisture level constistantly by 1/2 drenching more frequently.

So with the recently planted bagseed I kinda flung the containers around like a centrifuge to pull more of the water out before planting the seeds. They got a .35 ec of 3-2-6, calmag and extra mag with microbes.

Im also thinking its about time to put these babies under a real light. They prolly need something more in order to grow bigger by now.

Hi Shishka,

I had really good response adding Epsom Salts when I had problems with deficiencies and yellow in early veg. But even more effective, for me anyway, was upping my feeding concentration. I was trying to be gentle and was using around 1.0 - 1.1. When I finally figured some things out and went to 1.3 - 1.4, the plants took on a completely new life.

Best of luck with them

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Hi Shishka,

I had really good response adding Epsom Salts when I had problems with deficiencies and yellow in early veg. But even more effective, for me anyway, was upping my feeding concentration. I was trying to be gentle and was using around 1.0 - 1.1. When I finally figured some things out and went to 1.3 - 1.4, the plants took on a completely new life.

Best of luck with them

What nutes you using?
What lights?
What ec is your source water?
What ec is the runoff?

I feel like I am just learning how to actually diagnose plant problems and how to solve them. I used to just feed them 1.0 ec from beginning to end and still get mag deficent plants with burned leaf tips and 2000 ppm runoff I never understood it. Now its making sense to me that I was overfeeding by quite a bit.

I just cant justify feeding a baby seedling in its rooting stage the same as a full grown flowering plant anymore. I used to wonder how people could tell what the plant was stressing about by looking at the leaves, but now I think Im getting it.

This is why I added more mag to my base nutes but kept the ec relatively close. In my head it makes sense but I still wanna see the plants react positively. Im getting root hairs now and never really those in the past iirc.

Ill post a close up of some of the other seedlings that arent mag deficent when I get home and finish my garden chores for the day.

onavelzy

Veteran
What nutes you using?
What lights?
What ec is your source water?
What ec is the runoff?

I feel like I am just learning how to actually diagnose plant problems and how to solve them. I used to just feed them 1.0 ec from beginning to end and still get mag deficent plants with burned leaf tips and 2000 ppm runoff I never understood it. Now its making sense to me that I was overfeeding by quite a bit.

I just cant justify feeding a baby seedling in its rooting stage the same as a full grown flowering plant anymore. I used to wonder how people could tell what the plant was stressing about by looking at the leaves, but now I think Im getting it.

This is why I added more mag to my base nutes but kept the ec relatively close. In my head it makes sense but I still wanna see the plants react positively. Im getting root hairs now and never really those in the past iirc.

Ill post a close up of some of the other seedlings that arent mag deficent when I get home and finish my garden chores for the day.

I grow in coco. I grow in a 5x5x7'9" tent. I use a 630 DE CMH bulb from Grower's Choice. I have some supplemental LED bulbs in long power strips around the periphery but I'm not going to use them this grow, just using the 630 CMH.

I use RO water so the base EC is zero. I use Veg and Bloom nutes because they're just simple and some really good growers use them. Since I'm new, I'm trying to keep everything as simple as possible and not re-invent any wheels.

Since it's coco, once the plants have grown into their pots, during flowering phase I water everyday to slight runoff. When I do that, the run off is usually within 0.2 of the feeding EC.

I do worse with runoff EC in my veg space though. I tend to have plants at varying stages of maturity, different pot sizes, etc. That leads to me sometimes not watering until some of the pots have gotten on the dry side. When that happens, I have gotten some high run off EC's. In the grow tent, I hand water for the first two weeks in their final pots and then I hook up a pump to a timer that feeds 3x per lights-on phase. Some folks go as often as 6 feeds in 12 hours. I found that too hard to do. It's easy to waste a lot of nutes and the timers aren't that refined to allow good volume control.

This grow, I might just hand water the whole way. I haven't set the world of fire with my last two grows. I think some of that was poor heat and humidity control but I also think some of it was lack of awareness of what the roots were seeing. This go round, I want to be able to check the run offs for each plant by keeping them in basins.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Yesterday I planted the first batch of bageeds in the precharged coco, under a dome with a spiral cfl. Tonight I saw there was some green showing above the ground and the second set in the paper towel already had tails longer than 3-4 times the length of the seed so I, planted them the same way.

Cd x sssdh
This one has a sweet smell and looks like it will have some wide leaves.

picture.php

C4 x n91
(Different seedling looking mag hungry again imo)

picture.php

Healthy side of the root zone. This is type of roots I wanna see all the way around and through the medium...and Im getting closer and closer each try.

picture.php

Close up on root hairs
picture.php

First batch of bagseeds from the homie...and he brought me more today.

picture.php

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
So for the past few days I have been hemming and hawing with my cognative dissonace about weather or not a coco grow should be treated like a hydroponic medium.

I mean should I be saturating coco more frequently or using wet and dry cycles?

Found a thread by justiceman about coco root health and his pics are way too convincing to not hear him out.

So now Im trying daily doses of nutes to keep the roots healthy. I just transplanted the older seedling into party cups last night and hit them with their first .5 ec of npk, cal mag and some added mag.

Its really starting to come back together for me. I had to turn on my fan filter combo because the c4 x n91 (biggest one) is hella loud. Straight up chemmy funk and its a super small seedling just getting its first night cycles. There is a little scent coming from some others but nothing even close to that one plant.

The chemsssdh is giving me a slightly mentholy stem rub from the biggest one, but we still have a long way to go.