What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dankwolfs rks breeding project and breeding info discussion

E

ESTERCHASER

esters and animal fats are what made real deal 80's skunks what they were

CannaZen

if thiols make for a giddy experience tbh it affect i saw bees collecting cannabis pollen especially if there is a large source the bees will work that pollen. really fascinating./
only heard the rumor bees collect resin on fake news site but yea sure they may make for strong pest resistant hives. stinky plants, thiogliols and pyrophosphate; salts in the soil. reacts with metal ions of the body. cbd and flavonoids, possibly other cannabinoids affect or react with the circuitry or the ionic flow of the body just as well, body buzz sensation of the mind heighten of metabolism. phytogliols offer healthy cleanse of the immune system abscess.
Some kinds of herb are paranoia inducing speaking of the medium and genos mix of which they're grown speaking of salt and chemical connection.,. the flowers compound in what ":your feeling. :L the rush. the stress to excrete raw resin of the presence of compound in the medium to plant resource/storage and network and trigger metabolic produce flower. Your Flavor;'

Glial cell: A supportive cell in the central nervous system. Unlike neurons, glial cells do not conduct electrical impulses. The glial cells surround neurons and provide support for and insulation between them
stuff you dont naturally get from a smoke except for the convection o f a joint vapor flame of the herb ahead or what have you.. hash and that nay.l;p23

Last edited:

Hookahhead

Whether or not you think it is of benefit to the plant or think it *should* happen, it appears to be correlated with bug attraction according to the op and others on here, though the addition of having it fall to the ground is probably complete bs.

I agree nature/science doesn’t care what I think of as an individual. That being said, the cost of producing thousands of oil rich trichomes in attempt to lure/capture a few tiny insects seems highly improbable. Again, I have never personally seen any insect larger than a small ant or gnat stuck to the plant or on the soil surface. Here in the tropics the ants would quickly clean up any insects dropping to the ground, further limiting any advantage to the plant.

Instead, I would argue that in Cannabis, the presence of thiols is much more likely repel mammalian herbivores than it is to attract pollinators/prey. While this is all only my opinion, it is based off my academic research into life history trade-offs (how an organism chooses to use the finite amount of energy available). Though admittedly, my research was not focused on cannabis nor thiol production.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Instead, I would argue that in Cannabis, the presence of thiols is much more likely repel mammalian herbivores than it is to attract pollinators/prey. While this is all only my opinion, it is based off my academic research into life history trade-offs (how an organism chooses to use the finite amount of energy available). Though admittedly, my research was not focused on cannabis nor thiol production.

Yep, I would agree.

We must also remember that many of the varieties we grow today indoor, or outdoor, are either multiple hybrids or bred for certain traits and terpenes. These plants are man made and not in natural balance with the environments we put them in until tweak it. Cannabis that's indigenous, or 'landrace', has been open pollinating for countless generations and at harmony (give or take) with it's environment. If you visit different populations of cannabis within the same area (the valleys of the lower Himalayas come to mind), you'll see each population has differing aromas depending on it's unique micro environment.

We know that cannabis in the wild is pollinated by wind. The smells produced by the plant probably have a multifaceted purpose. One of those is to repel instead of attract insect life in wild cannabis. Modern hybrids might attract insect life local to your area because that particular variety has been made to exude a certain smell. This isn't cannabis that's been in the area, open pollinating for years though..

Anyway, sorry to detract from the original purpose of the thread. Love dropping in on this journey of yours Dankwolf.

Hookahhead

sticky resin is made to catch pollen

Again I don’t think this is logical. In order for a seed to develop, compatible pollen needs to land on the pistil not the calyx. Also the resin heads tend to remain intact until something breaks them (heat, pressure, solvents), so it’s likely most pollen would just bounce off. Many many plants have trichomes, cannabis plants just happen to produce some interesting compounds in theirs.

CannaZen

to b e accurate the plants the bees hadnt skunk thiols so much by the females kerosene and eucalyptus with pine. Also to detract one insect is to invite another; Pollen traveling for miles? a Bee travels across some pollen from one plant and decides resins are desirable for its hive reservoirs./ an pesticide or anti microbial and anti fungal properties possibly.. antioxidant antiviral properties of honey or one source.

Last edited:

Dankwolf

Yep, I would agree.

We must also remember that many of the varieties we grow today indoor, or outdoor, are either multiple hybrids or bred for certain traits and terpenes. These plants are man made and not in natural balance with the environments we put them in until tweak it. Cannabis that's indigenous, or 'landrace', has been open pollinating for countless generations and at harmony (give or take) with it's environment. If you visit different populations of cannabis within the same area (the valleys of the lower Himalayas come to mind), you'll see each population has differing aromas depending on it's unique micro environment.

We know that cannabis in the wild is pollinated by wind. The smells produced by the plant probably have a multifaceted purpose. One of those is to repel instead of attract insect life in wild cannabis. Modern hybrids might attract insect life local to your area because that particular variety has been made to exude a certain smell. This isn't cannabis that's been in the area, open pollinating for years though..

Anyway, sorry to detract from the original purpose of the thread. Love dropping in on this journey of yours Dankwolf.

:tiphat: thank you to all that contribute . as far as rks goes I belive this is the thread to read . I need to catch up on my own thread lol . I have a good amount of info to add in the coming days . just need the time . again thank you to all

Thesearch

sticky resin is made to catch pollen

I agree nature/science doesn’t care what I think of as an individual. That being said, the cost of producing thousands of oil rich trichomes in attempt to lure/capture a few tiny insects seems highly improbable. Again, I have never personally seen any insect larger than a small ant or gnat stuck to the plant or on the soil surface. Here in the tropics the ants would quickly clean up any insects dropping to the ground, further limiting any advantage to the plant.

Again I don’t think this is logical. In order for a seed to develop, compatible pollen needs to land on the pistil not the calyx. Also the resin heads tend to remain intact until something breaks them (heat, pressure, solvents), so it’s likely most pollen would just bounce off. Many many plants have trichomes, cannabis plants just happen to produce some interesting compounds in theirs.

It is a fairly well known fact that Cannabis produces cannabinoids, specifically THCa in response to and to protect from UV exposure. The stickiness of the trichomes is not originally created by the plant to catch pollen or insects, but as a side effect of having one of nature's most ideal sunscreens. Think first of *where* on the plant it chooses to create trichomes. Specifically around the genetically sensitive seed and flower sights of the female plant. Not on the stems, not on the fan leaves, but around the calyxes. There are two major types of sunscreen; reflective and absorptive. Most absorptive types (the common sunscreen formulas) break down under UV into toxic or cancer causing agents. THCa does not, it breaks down into other similarly cancer *fighting* substances. The shape of the calyx head is ideal for diffusing light as well. Cannabis only produces thc in landrace genetics within 30° N and 30° S and has the highest thc production in mountainous regions, specifically evolving in a high desert (according to the best modern theories). There have been specific tests that show that THC production in the singular generation will increase due to increased uvb (and possibly uva) exposure. As far as whether the plant evolved to use thiols to attract or repel bugs is not something I am informed enough to know with any confidence, but it seems that indica/afghanica have evolved the most sulfurous smells in landrace genetics and are in a high desert environment which is distinctly different from a jungle environment where the plants seem to have evolved more citrusy smells, which are known to repel bugs. Either way, I was just commenting on the anecdotal evidence that Dankwolf and others mentioned of how these skunky smelling plants were attracting bugs. Do I believe that it could be from something the plant had already evolved towards? Possibly, but all I know for sure is that it is not a door I will close, it is an interesting concept though I agree that that company is pulling that info out their ass and don't really know what they are talking about.

Thesearch

I can't edit yet but I'd just like to add that I have seen quite a few dog and cat eat cannabis plants, and dont seem deterred by it's funky smell, neither do humans; we seem attracted to it. Except Sam ;)

CannaZen

Just my opinion heightened Thiol composition are result of domestication to detract or repel or predators, it mimics the s tink of an animal. terpenes can cause a pause and detract of insects.

in the tropics insects love terpene rich fruit not saying it cause and retracts. flowers are great attractors to bee colonies looking to hive subsistence and immunity.
males flowers represent a huge pollen source to feed colony brood. I suspect they also may use a bit of resin increasing hive health not domesticated (strong immunity and heightened growth rates relative to the state of the hive by nectar source among other factors. It could increase hive winter survival ability due to immunity strength to certain disease.

what if the soil medium isn't fully compost ready to be stinky, stinky plants. What are high thiol herb to be known for in cannabis.

PDX Dopesmoker

Is there where I'm supposed to put my pet theory about why I think god made cannabis have sticky resin on the seed pods? Because I think that the calyxes stick to passing animals and that helps spread the seeds around.

mexweed

Veteran
there are small trichomes on the pistils of the plant I'm growing right now, they aren't fully receded but they're not supposed to be when it's early enough to get pollinated and develop seeds, makes sense it catches some pollen and the calyx swells up over it to help protect the seed being made

maximusmin

Not sure if this is covered in this thread or not but it will take me a month to read it all.
Has anyone tried the rks from Old School Breeders Association?

Dankwolf

Not sure if this is covered in this thread or not but it will take me a month to read it all.

I don't think ithas been addressed so far and if it was there was no recomendable / worth wile info :tiphat:

Dankwolf

Lots of valuable info even if it takes a,month for you to read . many source this thread for there rks projects .

Dankwolf

Rks search

Rks search

Got these strians a few days in flower now will add pics soon .:tiphat:

Ancestrial skunk x la confdential

Ancestrial skunk x cotton candy

(Ancestrial skunk × ogkb ) x the cure

(Ancestrial skunk x ogkb ) x mendo breath

( Ancestrial skunk x death star ) x the cure

( Ancestrial skunk x death star ) x mendo breath

Strawberry dissel x chem 4 = chem berry

Also got some female seeds stuff to pop vary soon :woohoo:

Dankwolf

Chemberry D, nice.

Not sure itsthesame strian . the chem berry #4 is a mm project . not offered on open market as far as I know . if you got some pics post them up :tiphat:

I really want to get my cotton candy out for the masses . many are missing out trust me on this.

J-Icky

Got these strians a few days in flower now will add pics soon .:tiphat:

Ancestrial skunk x la confdential

Ancestrial skunk x cotton candy

(Ancestrial skunk × ogkb ) x the cure

(Ancestrial skunk x ogkb ) x mendo breath

( Ancestrial skunk x death star ) x the cure

( Ancestrial skunk x death star ) x mendo breath

Strawberry dissel x chem 4 = chem berry

Also got some female seeds stuff to pop vary soon :woohoo:

Really wish I had known about the ancestral skunk seeds before they became unavailable. I’m not looking for the RKS per say but wouldn’t mind either. Honestly what I’d really like is to find a skunk that had bright red hairs(not rust or orange but fire engine red) with an emerald greenish color.
It was something that was around my area in the mid-late 90s and while every bag had a couple seeds, I was in a situation at the time that growing wasn’t an option. I did save the seeds at the time but had them hidden in my moms house in my old room and by the time I was able to grow she had cleaned out the room completely and tossed them.