What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

Lots of folks in mechanical work, i.e., automobile repairs, bitch about having to pay for shopkeepers' insurance. Stuff's not cheap either. I've been quoted close to $15,000 locally by some shops.

There's a reason for that; it covers injury, death, property damage, etc., when some bonehead misses something or forgets to put something back together properly.

Had my camper van into a shop recently for -lots- of major work at one place, and another shop for a front-end alignment in preparation for a long trip to the Yukon Territory..

The shop that did major work replaced the original leaf springs in the rear with some heavy duty 3,000-lb.-per-stack, 6,000-lb. overall support in the rear as but one of the many tasks they addressed. A fellow converting the trailer lighting receptacle discovered the clunking noise I'd had going home from that job... One of the shocks had not been secured, and it was banging off the axle tube or mount on heavy frost heaves and bumps. not too serious, and addressed easily, fixed properly as far as I am aware.

But I crawled under the van just now, up on ramps w/o putting jack stands in place (living dangerously as I'm in a hurry). I wanted to assess whether or not the new seal in the speedometer output cable's fitting on the transmission was still leaking after we'd replaced the seal and o-ring therein. It wasn't leaking any more from what I can see. Coolness.

But while I was underneath the van I decided to assess the adjustment sleeves on the tie-rod ends, as the shop that had been tasked with doing the alignment stated they lacked the proper tool for this ancient beast, and ordered one 'fast freight' from their tool supplier. They're still waiting on that tool, by the way..

The mechanic doing or attempting to do the alignment responded in the affirmative when I inquired if he'd used any penetrating oil to allow it to soak into the sleeves until the tool came in, as the sleeves and hardware are seized. Again, he had stated that he had.

Well......... the passage side of the steering system, the passenger side, showed ZERO evidence of having been sprayed with any penetrating oil, but there was some evidence of heat having been applied.. The most disconcerting or alarming discovery, however, was that he'd loosened both the bolts and nuts that hold the adjustment sleeve in place between the tie-rod ends and failed to tighten them when he decided he needed to wait for a tool to arrive.

Thus, I've been driving into and out of town with my tie-rod ends on the passenger side held in place by little more than age, rust, and past friction, on 35-year-old tie-rod end. In a heavy vehicle, no less.

Had it let go at 60-mph on the highway in traffic, there's a chance that friction, inertia and the gyro effect would've held it straight ahead without solid control. There's also a chance that on a frost-heave or bump, the thing might've let go, grabbed sideways, snapped a spindle or other related components, and sent me into the ditch or into oncoming at what would've potentially been a cumulative 120-mph head-on impact.

So they can bitch about the cost of the shop keepers' insurance all they want. It's boneheaded moments like this one that make it a true necessity. Yet, I'll wager there's a BUNCH of shops that don't buy the stuff. And when they kill someone, they shrug their shoulders and maybe go out of business, only to open up a new shop under a new name. Derelict motherfuckers.

Ca++

Insurance is always bad for the motor trade. Creative arts and journalists to. Clarkson bought a cossie and had to sell it again, and he wasn't short of a few bob. My basic car is about 350 and 425 with business. 2500 when I told them what business. Though it made no difference to the cars use.

About 7.5 weeks, and that glaring gap didn't close up at all
flash.jpg
Just a shot in the dark, as the lights went off as I picked my phone up. Making the shot very random indeed.
Never touched the back ones, so you can see the N drop when 130ppm wasn't enough. It's heavy peat soil, so I thought it would offer the rest, but I had to run a fairly high 160ppm to halt further advancement.
They were in 1L (quart, or 5") pots until week 2, so are nothing special. Though I'm quite happy, considering their poor start, and skinny trunks. Bugbee likes high peat mixes, and it certainly worked. Pulling something from near nothing.

Edit: The ppm numbers are just for the N part of my feed. Not the total. Which at this point is close on 1000 (EC 2.0). While the lights are producing about 900umol per meter, giving an estimated 750ppfd after 15% losses.

Last edited:

Ca++

I missed the lights again
bitGreen.jpg

It's that lost branch. It's days are numbered.

Recent ppfd studies at night, led to the comment that LED indicator lights don't all need taping up. Also, that most low level interruptions, won't wake a plant as such, but do reduce the sleeps effectiveness while present. A trial where a 100 green LED decorative wire was stuffed in a plant 24/7, saw no notable difference. Though you could see fairly well with it strung across the room. Enough to see cables and fill jugs. Though reading the LCD screen of the pH meter meant pressing 'hold' and moving to a good position.

I regularly use my green head torch and a green LED 15W equivalent golf ball lamp (1w really)
71jqOM1UBVL._AC_UL320_.jpg

$8 the lot. Though I would be happier with a white cover, to know it's a green LED in there.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Toronto was added to the Michelin Restaurant listings last year and 12 restaurants earned a Michelin Star. I went to a wedding celebration Saturday night at one of them. The service and food were very, very good so they are deserving of the accolade. But . . . this is only the 2nd time in my life that I have had food poisoning. All it took was one raw oyster on a half shell . . . :confused:

buzzmobile

Veteran
Toronto was added to the Michelin Restaurant listings last year and 12 restaurants earned a Michelin Star. I went to a wedding celebration Saturday night at one of them. The service and food were very, very good so they are deserving of the accolade. But . . . this is only the 2nd time in my life that I have had food poisoning. All it took was one raw oyster on a half shell . . . :confused:
Raw oysters and I have agreed that the risk involved for an aging human are too great to imbibe. Now, a fried oyster is different. It stands no chance of escaping ingestion.

Food poisoning is no joke. I hope you have recovered.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Have you ever noticed that if you get really high - an indica high so you are pretty foggy - and then you throw a sat on top . . . you can unfog to some degree . . . of course you are high as fuck but you are more lucid. Geez, who knew that drugs could be so much fun . . . :rasta:

Green Squall

Anyone here familiar with McKee Crafts? My moms friends don't use it anymore and offered to sell it to me for a mere $500...14ft - - 70hp Evrindue motor with trailer. Hasn't been started in two years and might need to be looked at. I understand 14ft is a bit small for the ocean, but I think it'll be perfect for traversing the coast and anchoring up in coves for fishing.

moose eater

Anyone here familiar with McKee Crafts? My moms friends don't use it anymore and offered to sell it to me for a mere $500...14ft - - 70hp Evrindue motor with trailer. Hasn't been started in two years and might need to be looked at. I understand 14ft is a bit small for the ocean, but I think it'll be perfect for traversing the coast and anchoring up in coves for fishing.
Not personally specifically familiar with McKee Craft Boats, though I think there's a fellow down in Valdez at the moment selling something very similar on FB Alaska Boat Trader, or something like that.

It appears to be a lesser competitor to a Boston Whaler. Not sure if it has injected foam in the fiberglass. If so, then that's a plus, though my bet is that it's an early 1980s boat hull, and foam breaks down over time if ozone has any access at all, let alone UV.

70-hp is a LOT of ponies for a 14-ft. fiberglass boat, unless it's designed to be unsinkable, like a Whaler.

The fellow in Valdez with the similar design and vintage is asking $2,000, with a 40-hp OMC(?), newer deep-cycle battery, light-weight trailer with good rubber, 6-gallon boat tank, etc.

$500, if the fiberglass hull has been cared for and not stored for long periods in direct sunlight, and the motor is clean and minimally used, would be a steal, but will have limitations.

If the thing hasn't been started in 2 years or more, it's apt to have 'varnishing' in the carburetor, and need cleaned out. Also, if the fuel tank is metal, it'll need to be inspected for any flaking or internal rust. If it has any, it would either need to be refinished internally, or replaced. And these days, a cheapo-sleazo, typically Chinese-made plastic/polymer certified boat fuel tank (5-6-gallon) is apt to be pretty close to $100, plus any fuel line. A good fuel line compression bulb will often run you $30 to $40 for good quality. Just all depends on what care has been shown to the boat and accessories up until now.

Fiberglass can last decades or a decade, depending on the care it receives. BUT!! You don't typically need a welder or heavy rivetter to patch it or refinish it, either.

Look at it, see if it fires up, and go from there.

Bear in mind the old adage that 'boats are a hole in the water into which you throw money'. Any small engine-driven equipment that receives extremely limited use often ages more poorly from not being used than if it were used respectfully on a more routine basis. Sitting around doesn't help them.

Look for soft spots or notably discolored or weathered spots in the fiberglass, and flaking or chipping (rot, even) along the gunwales and the hull, as well. seats too. You might be getting a diamond in the rough, or the beginning of a long spending spree toward removing something from life support that might've been better off buried.

A 14-ft. boat of decent seaworthiness (sounds oxymoronic, I know) would be limited to lakes and inside bays on better days for most folks. A sunshine weather boat, depending on your level of self-destructive tendencies or desire for risk-taking.

Good luck with your boating and fishing.

Edit: Here's a link for a McKee Craft Boat from a couple years prior in another part of the country, and each part of the Country will often have its own boat market and varying values that sometimes defy the 'book values.' This one was asking $4,700 for a 1980, so either the guy's delusional, or they may retain their value like a Boston Whaler does.

Last edited:

moose eater

>>>""Mar 4, 2003 — nowadays, I think the McKee is the better value. They do have very similar construction and designs. Good luck, Ed P., St. Pete., FL.""<<<

>>>""Oct 13, 2003 · 9 posts · 8 authors
Boston Whaler sued McKee Craft for using designs that were so similar, and McKee Craft was forced to redesign its models.""<<<

Looks like the McKee Craft, if in well maintained condition, is a steal at that price, Squall.

Up here the trailer, even a small one, in decent shape, would likely be worth nearly twice the asking price. Assuming the trailer comes with it.

Last edited: