What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2011, 4.20 Competition LANDRACE category

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
i was about to enter 2 landraces this year, but they werent finished on time. I'm smoking em as we speak thou, and they are off the hook. Angola x Banghi and Lesotho x Uzbekistan (crosses made by Lamanonegra)

I still have those aswell, not gotten around to starting them yet. How did they grow? :chin:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the idea is interesting, but just not very practical adding another category to the 420 cup some how. maybe have a separate land race cup, with rules that allow the growers to introduce the strain with a thread or film before hand. this would allow people to judge with more back ground knowledge on entered strains.

i know most of us would love to judge such an event, i wonder how many growers and breeders actually work with land races. would you actually get more then 1 or 2 real land races entering? maybe if it's 1x every 2 years or so? then people can really prepare :)

also can you really judge a land race strain with 1 smoke? to be really fair i'd need to smoke each entry for a day or 2 :)

I

I-Shence

Is there any cup where they judging landraces?
I think its a great idea to become,if it aint yet..
sorry about my english if anything wrong;)

indifferent

Veteran
Lesotho is a landrace, Banghi is a landrace, cross the two however and you get a hybrid which fits into the same category as OGKA x Purple Afghan, which is 50% landrace but also a hybrid.

The real extra category we need is outdoor as there are many outdoor growers around, particularly the Danish guys.

If there is a landrace category added then I'm all sorted, got a few landrace cuttings I've collected and one of em taken at 16-17 weeks is hard to beat imho.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would certainly like to enter some landrace genetics in a comp and there doesn't seem to be that oppurtunity available anywhere at the moment so I have to back the idea,its a no-brainer.....Even if its just for the encouragement towards preservation rather than out-blending of genetics it would give to newer growers......
Having said that I think an Outdoor cup is just as good an Idea for similar reasons so wouldn't complain about that either to be honest...Especially when you see the quality of outdoor and Greenhouse-grown bud that is all over this site...I mean there are some Bloody good Under-Sun growers on this forum and they should be encouraged to Show and share as much as the Indoor peeps!
I do realise though that the more complex the Cup gets each year the more work for Gypsy,OP and crew as well so I always bear that in mind along with any wishes or expectations I have....I'm still just very grateful to be able to enter a cup that puts me in amongst such quality opposition...whatever the categories or future revisions and changes......And to be part of a Community that is free to both Praise and critiscise(constructively)openly what is a very special event for me! Luck'n'Lumens JBo 100%@IC:tiphat::thank you::wave:

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
thinkin there's enough support for this. I have never seen a landrace competition and can't figure out why. In my head is seems like a true category and is better than sativa or indica since everything entered in them is a mix
Hope the public keeps supporting this idea!!!!!!!!!!
I would help organize it for sure

indifferent

Veteran
I imagine the early California harvest festivals would have been mostly landraces, Mexicans, Colombians, things picked from import weed.

It would have to be split into landrace indica and landrace sativa though, I don't fancy putting a 22-week flowering sativa that looks like shit but blows your mind up against a 9 week chunky resinous indica that looks awesome.

Gastro

What is the definition of a landrace in this case? Im mostly wondering, because what if you inbreed a strain outdoor in the same "location/region/terroir" for multiple plant generations, would that plant than also be able to qualify as a landrace? It will by that time be naturally selected with the qualities most beneficial for that area.

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Societies Definition: Landrace refers to domesticated animals or plants adapted to the natural and cultural environment in which they live (or originated) and, in some cases, work. They often develop naturally with minimal assistance or guidance from humans using traditional breeding methods. Landraces differ somewhat from what is commonly termed a breed, and usually possess more diverse phenotypes and genotypes. They often form the basis of more highly-bred formalised breeds. Sometimes a formalised breed retains the "landrace" name, despite no longer being a true landrace.

My thoughts in regards to Landrace Cannabis: In my thoughts it refers to a strain that is kept and held by Indigenous Peoples within a certain region and kept pure of all outside Cannabis strains and Influences. I feel that Thai, Chile, Himalaya, Afghani and the likes are what true searchers of landraces use as a leveling bar when searching out true landraces. Plants that have not been touched by what we consider modern society, have not been influenced by anyone except for nature and the people indigenous to each specific strains location.

Just my quick thoughts.

Justa6655321

Veteran
Only problem is you can't tell if it really is "untouched"

Unless genetic testing comes around it's going to be very hard

Res I think it's a great idea but it will be difficult to keep under controll

B. Friendly

Veteran
today you can't tell if it's an indica or sativa the winners are all hybrids now a days.
we always have to rely on the breeders opinion.

B. Friendly

Veteran
this might lead to a flowering period problem. a 14 week landrace might just smoke way better than a 9 week landrace. or sativas and indicas??????

So lets grow both, by the time the 14 is ready to harvest the 9 week will be ready to smoke while we trim!! And talk about some kick-ass scissor hash!!