What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Grow and setting up a $43 eBay 2x2 grow tent.

corky1968

Veteran
If it's a closet you don't need the tent. Just use the entire closet.

A carbon filter with a fan will work and luckily you don't need that ASAP.
Most plants don't stink too much for a couple of weeks anyways.

So set up your light in your tent and fire her up with a thermometer
in there for a couple of hours to get a temperature reading.

If you do it at night you will be able to check for light leaks as well. :woohoo:

:tiphat:

Riviera123

Ok I sent up 2 x 2 tent up with new 250 CFL light in it with no exhaust fans and door zipped and 1 passive intake open which Cause giant light leaks , there is one on each side and they have Velcro around flap edge . Anyways the other guy was talking about pin holes this is a huge light leak . So you are sayings of possibly forget the tent and just use closet . So filter and fan will just hang there with filter pointing down . So a small hole in ceiling for fan to suck out of closet and pull air thru filter. And the fan exhausting into attic. I don't want to cut holes in ceiling since I don't own the home . But that would solve the filtering and exhaust and I would have much more space . The other small Rubbermaid tote thing I made could go in closet on one side for veg and mother but what about intake into closet just leave the on sliding door partially open but if I set light schedule for flower to run all day then light leaks may be not a issue but I still need a negative pressure in closet for fann to draw properly right.

Riviera123

Closet has 2 sliding doors and there is about a half inch of air space underneath sliding doors as they have no track , there would still be a ligh leak bu maybe I can remedy that with some dark sunscreen material, would that be enough intake . I could also mount a 120 ml fan on panel approx 8 " wide that Would go on one end between one door and jam. . and Also at least 6 " filter and fan setup for 2x 8 closet with like 9 ft ceiling im thinking off the top of my head.

Riviera123

Also one more idea what if I took off closet doors entirely and left it open plenty of air but will the heat and odors go out filter, but bright light may draw attention

Riviera123

The light 250 watt CFL seems nice, it's very bright but doesn't get real hot. Which will help I think using whole closet of air space. Maybe I could hang the filter fan from clothes hanger rod and vent out to ceiling with hose then filter is closer to plants

corky1968

Veteran
As for the light leak coming from the closet.

Just staple or set up some lightproof curtain made of black/white plastic,etc.
at the top and let it hang down to hide the entire door. The crack at the
bottom can be easily hidden like you say.

corky1968

Veteran
Air should enter from the bottom and exit from the top of the closet.
Hot air naturally rises and causes an air current even without a fan
which bring in cooler air from under the bottom of the door. With a
fan blowing air out of the closet above the light this air flows
faster of course.

BTW: I didn't say make it air tight at the bottom. Just light proof.

corky1968

Veteran
This image explains what happens when the light is on or off.

In daytime, with the heat of the bulb the hot air rises and at night it
sinks when the light goes out. Now with a fan venting hot air at the
top of your closet the hot air will be taken away from your garden
much easier that if you relied on natural air currents.

Diurnal_mountain_winds_variation.jpg

Taken from here:

Alpine planetary boundary layer

Riviera123

Still on track with my tiny tent 2x2 . Was going to do full closet grow but don't want to make holes . So now ready for corky's walk thru on soil organic grow.

corky1968

Veteran
I'm using it as a base. What you feed you plant afterwards is up to you. I was just lazy this time around.
For a heavy feeding plant like Cannabis you will have to feed something. As is it's great for young plants
of less than 2 weeks of age. Ignore that feeds for 6 months thing. For flowers maybe. Not for Cannabis.

You can start by buying peat moss, topsoil and all the other soil amendments if you want of course.

Riviera123

Well purchased Just Natural Organic Soil and cut in 40% perlite , going to try an auto flower first AK 47 . So planning on using a 3-5 gallon smart pot. Hydroponic store told m I should use some liquid organic bloom nutrient. I have Osmicote which I use for other plants but don't think that would be a good choice. The organic soil I got says it has worm castings so I'm thinking no feeding for first 3 weeks. THen feed it ______ ? 1 plant ak 47 auto in 2x2
eBay tent that does have pin holes by the way. Recap on lighting 250 Watt CFL 2700 k .

corky1968

Veteran
Yeah, don't feed for the 1st couple of weeks. There's enough nutrients in the soil for
early growth. I never feed until the plant produces it's 3rd set of real leaves when I use
soil. Cannabis does grow like a weed in the wild.

But most people tend to feed it heavily when growing indoors.

Some of course go too heavy and burn their plants as well.

You can cover the pin holes with duct tape or use dark electrical tape to block the holes.

H

Huckster79

Best of luck to ya... Ullman fall in love. Growing is addictive, the product may not b but growing is and u can get some great stuff off CFL. I still keep a stash of my year old first grow using CFL in an old freezer, take a pinch now n again to bring back the memories of that first grow. Ur attention to detail now is the first step in being given good. I still have long way to go but just three rounds later it's still just as fun. Im no ols vet but have learned so much which make that part of the fun. Because thetes always more to learn and improve on always.... thats why it never gets boring. Keep us all posted.

Riviera123

Thanks for words of encouragement . There is so much info out there and way too many choices if trying to keep it simple