What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how many times have you seen RUSH

Mikos

*** Rush vs. the Rolling Stones ***

Dec 13th, 1981... I was a skinny, long-haired 14 year old with tickets to the Rolling Stones at Sun Devil Stadium.

My older sister's boyfriend at the time volunteered to drive me and my friend to the concert. The guy picked us up in his Camaro and handed me a case full of music casettes. "Pick a casette and stick it in the radio", he said. I opened the case and there was 4 or 5 perfectly rolled joints sitting right on top. He was a military policeman so it kinda freaked me out. He lit one up and passed it around and we all got high.

Digging through his mostly crap music selection, I found the 'Permanant Waves' casette and threw it in the radio. It was my first time hearing it as I only knew Moving Pictures at the time.

So, back to Rush vs. the Rolling Stones....

I can't tell you anything about the Stones concert that night. It was pretty much forgettable... but the memory of driving in that camaro listening to Permanent Waves will always remain etched clearly in my head.

"Each of us
A cell of awareness
Imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends
With uncertain ends
On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet"

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Only saw Rush one time.
April 1979
New Haven, CT
One of my all time favorite bands...I remember thinking that they were just like ZZTopp, in that without the reel-to-reel tapes, they would not be able to perform in concert live.
Amazing how much music can come from a trio, but they had help to be able to reproduce their stuff on stage.
That was one of the best drum solo's I have ever heard.

I saw RUSH twice! Once for "2112" tour and the "Signals" tour, both were great.
RUSH RULES!
The 2112 concert was in an outdoor area in my area and was very cool, I remember someone asking me in the parking lot if I wanted to buy a joint (or two) and I did. No idea what kind it was but it sure did the trick! Top five concerts for me.

C

clydascope

Been to three shows;

Saw them as a teenager in Boston in '78 on the Hemispheres tour. They blew the power circuits and had an unplanned break to reset everything, then started over. Made me a life long fan.

R30 was my favorite show.

Snakes and Arrow 2008 rocked, loved the new stuff.

I need another fix!

RoachClip

I hold El Roacho's
Veteran
I seen rush started seeing them when they toured in the 70's & in the 80's and one last time in the 90's and have over 400 songs d/l on my IPod and alex lifeson's guitar solo's are the shit and neil peart's drum set is huge and he plays solo's like he is loco and geddy lee tops it off with his vocals and plays mulltiple Instruments that combine the trio like no other band around.

They are one of my favorite rock bands.

16 times all at fresno, cali. They frigging rock fresno! We used to fry on shrooms and trip on the fields of hay marching back and forth in the wind, the oranges lighting up tunnels of bright green orange trees, all to 2112 over 2 pioneer gm120's and 4 6x9's in a hotrodded 69 elcamino! Wahoo! Smoked all but 1/8 out of an ounce of columbian gold I got back in 10th grade to 2112 and dark side of the moon! that was a night, too, cleaned out del taco and 15 minutes later in the drive thru looking for more!!

burning_red

eyes that shine...
ICMag Donor
twice for me
first time in 1982 at the Spectrum in Philly with Rory Gallagher warming up

second time the following year at Radio City Music Hall in the Big Apple.Tripped our faces off in Central Park on shrooms and the clouds were cutting the buildings in half

The gig itself is still amongst my top 5 and I've seen hundreds.Maybe the shrooms heightened everything but it was EPIC.Neil Pearts drum kit completely surrounding him--Geddy Lee like an octopus on the keyboards,the bass,so many pedals in front of him-unreal

The new docu "beyond the lighted stage" is well worth a watch

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Only saw them once. The Roll the Bones tour. Not even sure I like that album, but I love Rush. Had tix for a Maine stop during the Show of Hands tour but it was cancelled. I was bummed. Wanted to see the latest tour, but when they were close, I was broke.
Moving Pics was great, but I'd sell a kidney, to see them do 2112, COS, FBN, FTK, or Hemi, live!!! Those albums are among my faves of all time!!!
To those of you who saw Rush during the 70's, I truly envy you!

Latest posts

Latest posts