What's new

Colorado "legalization" going to affect prices nationwide?

I bet the prices will stay about the same...there will be a demand from weed tourist. Weed isn't super cheap in Amstedam.
If you know what you are doing and have quality product there will still be $ to be made

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
but in the end there will always be supply and demand. and those at the top of their craft will have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
trickle down weed economics. i love it.

I'm glad it's legal and i hope it floods the market and all you only thinking about your wallet are out of business so the rest of us can grow and smoke weed without worrying about going to jail.

lol this is about how that weed prices plummet thread started...now it's on page 1 million.

I concur. Its sad that there are people who actually want the price of buddha to go up. People thinking only about their own self-interest/wallet and not about the greater cause. So sad, some out our own brethren would rather see the plant remain illegal everywhere just so they can make a few bucks more per gram.

Lower prices empower the smoker. These new laws empower the personal grower AND the smoker. Therefore, I am pleased. I fall into both categories.

Higher prices only empower commercial growers - so don't expect any sympathy from me if these new laws don't help them. Before I grew my own, I was paying those inflated prices for 2 decades+.

Power to the smokers and the personal growers!
Screw the complaining sour-pusses who only want to capitalize off our sacred plant.

hogg

I concur. Its sad that there are people who actually want the price of buddha to go up. People thinking only about their own self-interest/wallet and not about the greater cause. So sad, some out our own brethren would rather see the plant remain illegal everywhere just so they can make a few bucks more per gram.

Lower prices empower the smoker. These new laws empower the personal grower AND the smoker. Therefore, I am pleased. I fall into both categories.

Higher prices only empower commercial growers - so don't expect any sympathy from me if these new laws don't help them. Before I grew my own, I was paying those inflated prices for 2 decades+.

Power to the smokers and the personal growers! Screw the complaining sour-pusses who only want to capitalize off our sacred plant.
THIS:laughing:

ghostly

Here in cali there are.... i imagine....more bedroom grows than warehouses...prices for herb havent changed a penny for most of us over the years...ya all that shitty outdoor from the methheads up north drops in price... but there is a market above and beyond the simple potheads that make up the vast majority of the "medical" farce weve all been forced to use as a stepping stone...i dont even think subpar(majority) growers have to worry much...
For those who know what they are doing..the price may even climb..it did for me when i entered the mmj market..who knows what rec will do...good luck colorado and wash and major props for getting this done

Good point... the shear number of people smoking is Astronomical! (30 million users? In the USA) There is a demand which is sometimes not met (droughts still occur) They claim 70% of cartel profits are from marijuana... We got a whole lot of room for pushing back on production on this side of the border.

I just hate to see the movemt get high jacked and folks who have been risking there ass preserving our sacred plant, lose out to big money. I prefer the local model. Support your brothers and sisters.

I see folks talking bad on each other and it's pretty sad. Your showing your ass. What kind of unity or loyalty do you have in your heart? The market will dictate prices, don't let that talk derail the mission and divide us at a critical time. Rethink and raspect one another, ganja farmers

B

bodhi__

The fact is, legalization will do much more harm than good, economically. The government, through prohibition, has artificially inflated the price of a product that is easy to produce, and benefits millions of people and local economies alike.

Weed growers spend money!!!!

Weed growers have a nice harvest, and:

1. Go out to nice dinners, leaving nice tips for servers, patronizing local restaurants.
2. Go on vacations. Stimulating tourism, other locale industries.
3. Buy cars, products, etc.

Growers pay taxes on everything they purchase.

Big-pharma/Phillip Morris, take their profits, park their money in tax havens, stocks, and generally hoard millions of dollars that would otherwise be injected into the economy and spread around to millions of people.

This is not the time for legalization, and the voters in Colorado and Washington have forever fucked our beloved industry. Thanks!

good response, sad but true. Economically the inflated price of mj will definitely drop now.

DTFuqua

For those of you that are whining about losing your income and trying to justify it by saying you are a good tipper, I'ld just like to be able to get a decent meal instead of crappy carry-out. I can use that money to make my family's life a little better instead of yours.

Rowdy420

Go to school and get training at something other than growing weed! Or get better at growing... the creme will rise to the top!

Good luck, Peace

B

BrnCow

The demand may overpower the supply causing the prices to increase...all of those of of staters looking to smoke a legal joint are going to make a difference...where are they going to buy it?

whodare

Veteran
How's that's saying go?

Adapt or perish?

On a large scale oz's can be produced for under 10$ not counting taxes, labor and initial start up, so call 10$ baseline, though it would vary from location to location and a multitude of other factors(electrical cost, indoor or outdoor, local rental rates, land prices,property taxes, your gpkwh)

How many man hours for a cycle, what are they worth?
What are the taxes?
What is your goal commercial or connoisseur?
Hand trimmed or mechanical?
Are you utilizing all your trim?
Wholesale operation or shipped to your retail store?

Lots of other questions to ask too.

Yes prices will drop.

Are connoisseur grade, controlled environment flowers going to sell for under 1600 a #?
I doubt it.

If you cant make a living off that in a legal/quasi-legal environment you were an inefficient manager of resources, and need to re-evaluate your methods or career path.

Sun Ra

Here's another thing to consider. Over the past 15-20 years, has the price of weed really changed that much? Even prior to the medical states. Consider these prices:

$20-30 8th for schwag.

$40-60 8th kind bud, about an average of $50 usually.

$300-400 oz of dank, sometimes dipping lower or higher

$3,000-4,000 a pound for dank, again the average about $3,500.

That's what you were probably paying in the 1990's and it's about what you're paying now if you are buying weed in 2012, of course give or take it's about average. If you consider how much gas, food, rent and just about everything else has gone up over that time, and it has quite a bit I may add, the price of weed has not changed that much. If you were kicking it on your own around 1997, how much was your weekly grocery bill compared to day? I'm sure it's gone up quite significantly as everything else has. I'm not saying that weed is immune to these factors, but I don't see how a change in two states is going to completely bottom out the market. The people who are still putting out the top shelf product are still going to make money. Even if it is a little less, it will still be worth while. At least for the next few years, I predict. But then again the feds and DEA could come and completely crush the prospect of legalization which would be tragic. I hope that doesn't happen, but I'm sure the feds and the DEA are stroking their hard cocks right now and can't wait to wage war when the time comes next year. This is the moment they've been waiting for, the ultimate battle in the war on drugs.

I think it would have changed the price a lot more if California legalized. I'm sure we grow more pounds than Colorado and wash combined and then some!!! From the reports I've read it looks like the Feds will shut or slow it down anyway.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
For those of you that are whining about losing your income and trying to justify it by saying you are a good tipper, I'ld just like to be able to get a decent meal instead of crappy carry-out. I can use that money to make my family's life a little better instead of yours.

Use what money? The money that was originally going into the hands of local growers/friends/family to be spent in the local economy, or the tax dollars that will pilfered through the state and put to no real use?

In the current state of affairs it is the common growers and the friends/family/local economy around them that are benefiting off of the underground cannabis trade. The profits due to prohibition have allowed many to make good income in this otherwise bad economy. This has had a direct impact on people's livelihood.

Its not a matter of making money. Its a matter of who and where that money is going to.
Would you rather see Farmer Bob make that money and directly help his family and community?
Or would you rather see corporate exec Steve and big pharma Phil step in and put an end to that all while they take all the profits off of the table. Profits that will not help you, I, or the economy.

Its not about greed.. Its about keeping our culture and the profits associated with it where they belong.. with the people. With the locals. With the people who pour their soul into this shit. I for one, will be sad to see that end.

I mean.. where people really getting locked up in CO for 1oz / 6 plants anyways? I don't even live in a med state but around here 1oz gets you $100 fine. 6 plants while still can get you arrested and processed.. will not result in anything more then a slap on the wrist and probation. I'll take the current decriminalization where I can make a humble income that benefits my family and all of the people around me vs. full legalization in which the state, regulation, and corporate america will spread their shit all over it.

Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if they were locking people up around here for small amounts of cannabis, but they are not. I'd rather see us tossing a few dollars in fines to the states and lawyers vs. seeing nearly everyone around me lose their livelihood to corporations/big pharma.

/rant..flame on..

Cannabis is still illegal under federal law. CO state officials just want in on the $$. Is it really legal? Of course not.. otherwise you'd be able to line your backyards' with plants and do as you please. Does anyone have restrictions on the amount of pepper plants they can grow? How about how many cans of salsa you can jar up?

CO isnt legalizing cannabis. They are giving you an inch so that they can take the mile. Hopefully what CO and WA voters voted for doesnt backfire on them. Federally de-scheduling cannabis from a schedule I narcotic and then we can talk about legalization. State legalization is merely an acceptable loophole to the people so that the state can dig their grubby fingers into it. "Legal" or not.. you're still ultimately putting the ball in their court, and they historically don't play "clean ball".

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
Its not about greed.. Its about keeping our culture and the profits associated with it where they belong.. with the people. With the locals. With the people who pour their soul into this shit. I for one, will be sad to see that end.

very well said.

give the govt anything and they fuck it up.. they will tax marijuana to its death mark my words. $1500/lb within 2-3 years max. once the supply meets the demand who knows how low it will go

they sure do got the right idea.. "hey let these idiots have there pot and in a few years it will be worth jack shit and we wont ever have to listen to them again" if i were the head of DEA i would legalize marijuana why? it would take the money right out of the market which means THE END OF THE DRUG WAR. very good approach i must say..

guess its time to start growing poppy plants and cultivating massive amounts of mushrooms

Use what money? The money that was originally going into the hands of local growers/friends/family to be spent in the local economy, or the tax dollars that will pilfered through the state and put to no real use?

In the current state of affairs it is the common growers and the friends/family/local economy around them that are benefiting off of the underground cannabis trade. The profits due to prohibition have allowed many to make good income in this otherwise bad economy. This has had a direct impact on people's livelihood.

Its not a matter of making money. Its a matter of who and where that money is going to.
Would you rather see Farmer Bob make that money and directly help his family and community?
Or would you rather see corporate exec Steve and big pharma Phil step in and put an end to that all while they take all the profits off of the table. Profits that will not help you, I, or the economy.

I mean.. where people really getting locked up in CO for 1oz / 6 plants anyways? I don't even live in a med state but around here 1oz gets you $100 fine. 6 plants while still can get you arrested and processed.. will not result in anything more then a slap on the wrist and probation. I'll take the current decriminalization where I can make a humble income that benefits my family and all of the people around me vs. full legalization in which the state, regulation, and corporate america will spread their shit all over it.

Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if they were locking people up around here for small amounts of cannabis, but they are not. I'd rather see us tossing a few dollars in fines to the states and lawyers vs. seeing nearly everyone around me lose their livelihood to corporations/big pharma.

/rant..flame on..

Cannabis is still illegal under federal law. CO state officials just want in on the $$. Is it really legal? Of course not.. otherwise you'd be able to line your backyards' with plants and do as you please. Does anyone have restrictions on the amount of pepper plants they can grow? How about how many cans of salsa you can jar up?

CO isnt legalizing cannabis. They are giving you an inch so that they can take the mile. Hopefully what CO and WA voters voted for doesnt backfire on them. Federally de-scheduling cannabis from a schedule I narcotic and then we can talk about legalization. State legalization is merely an acceptable loophole to the people so that the state can dig their grubby fingers into it. "Legal" or not.. you're still ultimately putting the ball in their court, and they historically don't play "clean ball".

This is exactly how I feel!!!!! Amen! Legalization at the state level will just take one of the last true family businesses and put it in the hands of corporate America. Sad but true.

whodare

Veteran
I'll take the income away from these so called mom and pop shops, many of which give a fuck all what they grow with or spray...

I'd much rather people be broke than in jail...

Ask me, been there done that....

Prison is hell, and let me tell you, most states still are locking people up.

How are you supposed to make a living if you can't carry your product? Sorry I need to be able to carry more than an oz.

They shouldn't be locking anyone up for this sacred plant, it truly is a crime against humanity and nature.

So I'll take income loss knowing innocent dealers, growers, and smokers aren't being harrassed by the law, or put behind bars, which I might add ruins families, costs money and demonizes/persecuts quite a large portion of our population...

So sorry if you can't still make decent money off hundred dollar Ozs.

Edit: and think of the hemp plant finally being legalized and all the ecological benefits, personally I think people are being as greedy as these so called big pharma companies, who by the way still need to employ people to work

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Brings up a good point.

The Prison Industry Complex is one of the largest industries in the US. I wonder how they will take legalization as it spreads throughout more states. Will they bend over and accept the reality that they can no longer cage non-violent marijuana offenders for large profits? Or will they take extreme measure to ensure their privately owned facilities remain filled per many state contracts which have already been established.

“The private contracting of prisoners for work fosters incentives to lock people up. Prisons depend on this income. Corporate stockholders who make money off prisoners’ work lobby for longer sentences, in order to expand their workforce. The system feeds itself,” says a study by the Progressive Labor Party, which accuses the prison industry of being “an imitation of Nazi Germany with respect to forced slave labor and concentration camps.”

The prison industry complex is one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States and its investors are on Wall Street. “This multimillion-dollar industry has its own trade exhibitions, conventions, websites, and mail-order/Internet catalogs. It also has direct advertising campaigns, architecture companies, construction companies, investment houses on Wall Street, plumbing supply companies, food supply companies, armed security, and padded cells in a large variety of colors.”
In short.. are we going to start seeing empty prisons in light of the new legality?. Somehow.. I doubt it. This war will wage on all fronts. Too many livelihoods are at stake.. on all sides.

The bigger picture though,
In reality.. legalization is such a small issue in the face of the economic death spiral our leaders have put us in. Things are going to get a whole lot worse in the US in the years to come. Nothing will be getting cheaper, that is for certain as the FED and banking industry will continue to debase our currencies (another great crime against humanity) while squashing the standard of living of all hard working Americans.. regardless of career choice. Inflation is the largest tax. A tax we all are forced to pay.