What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado "legalization" going to affect prices nationwide?

Lepy

Complete and utter hogwash. What about the countless thousands of blue collar people who will be employed by the "Phillip Morris" and other huge companies in the weed world? Do those workers hoard dollars in their Swiss bank accounts or do they "inject" them into the economy? Do you think they might have hopes and dreams and families to feed too? What makes you deserve those dollars more than millions of other hard working citizens who are now enabled to participate in this industry, since they don't have to take huge risks to do so?

No, they've forever fucked you. And let me tell you, I couldn't be happier about it. You are the parasitic weakling that free markets are highly effective at rooting out and destroying.

Clearly, from your overly defensive and negative reaction you are scared to death of the idea of having to compete in a free and open market.

You are so insecure for a good reason: because you know you are utterly worthless and have nothing to offer a legal industry. Trust me, I couldn't be more amused to see pissants like you squirming and screaming so loudly after such a strong blow and victory for justice and righteousness has been struck. I hope you starve in the streets, worm.[/quote]

So is PM going to open up here in RI and offer 5,000+ jobs ? seeing that there is that plus more in caregivers i see it as a loss for alot of states that want to try this... if big pharma or PM do it they might make a few more jobs but not as many as the state could do if they just issue to the people that really need MMJ. Butforealzies idc we are all going to hell and ill see u there :laughing:

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i am happy for the people of colorado & washington.
i just hope theres not an outpouring of product that makes its way to hawaii.... subpar or top shelf

i prefer to support my local economy wholey. live on an island....
GROWN HERE NOT FLOWN HERE
will it affect pricing here in hawaii? NOPE. its still gonna be a high ticket item. whether it came in on the cheap flight from PNW or CO, or a local backyard upcountry. pay up. thank goodness.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
trickle down weed economics. i love it.

I'm glad it's legal and i hope it floods the market and all you only thinking about your wallet are out of business so the rest of us can grow and smoke weed without worrying about going to jail.

lol this is about how that weed prices plummet thread started...now it's on page 1 million.

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
Prices will drop in Colorado and elsewhere.

With legalization you will have a lot of entrepreneurial minded people deciding the risk vs reward is now low enough to attempt to break into the canna market. This should increase supply and when supply increases without a corresponding increase in demand the price for that good or service will decrease. But like most new businesses that fail in the first 2 years of operation, so to will the majority of new canna entrepreneurs. There will be lots of mediocre quality canna changing hands depressing prices. So my prediction is on the low to mid range you will see prices drop a lot, and at the higher cannasuer end prices will not drop as much and reach stabilization much quicker.

Sun Ra

I think that at this point we really don't know how it will affect prices across the nation. There are a few assumptions that are being made here. One is that the feds will allow this and there will be a lot of plentiful and cheap bud in Colorado and Washington. But let's imagine that is what will happen. Consider a few things. This is one helluva a big country. So moving large quantities of weed across the US from these two states in a way that it will affect national prices will not be an easy task and it a lot of it will be confiscated by the time it reaches the east coast or wherever else it is headed. If other states start to legalize with minimal to no federal interference and it becomes a domino effect state by state, then we will probably see a significant decrease in price and profitability. What time frame are we talking about? Months(probably not)? Years? No one knows. But if it does happen then it means that it's time to change, step up the game and be competitive, if you are trying to be in an financial way. The US Steel Industry collapsed for various reasons, but one of them was cheaper competition and our unwillingness to change and keep up with the competition.

bigshrimp

Veteran
Everyone else panicking and growing double will more likely bottom out the market in the short term lol. See how the feds react, cause even corporations hav e deal with the federal gov. The smart move would be a trade union of growers to organize in order to attempt to moderate pricing and lobby. Its a new game kids adapt or die.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everyone else panicking and growing double will more likely bottom out the market in the short term lol. See how the feds react, cause even corporations hav e deal with the federal gov. The smart move would be a trade union of growers to organize in order to attempt to moderate pricing and lobby. Its a new game kids adapt or die.
They tried all that kumbaya shit when medical blew up. Guess who controls the med scene now? It aint growers.

No strawberry girl and yikesy, you are the idiots!
I do not need to buy from anyone to enjoy good smoke, it would just be nice to do it with no anxiety! Some people like yourselves are like warts on the ass and spout verbal flotsam without even reading things through first. Not having to worry about going to jail for growing a plant is priceless! I understand people who make money off it are not happy, understandable but not right to deny small personal growers and smokers live in constant fear of arrest so you can make greater profits until one day you may go to jail too!

And back to the point of this thread instead of further viscious in-fighting! Will it affect prices? Maybe sort of??? Prices in the east do not seem to have gone down much if at all with California growing vast quantities of it especially since 1996. The best stuff still commands high prices. So maybe eventually it will drop prices for low to mid grade but the high quality stuff should continue to carve out its own niche. To summarize, yes of course it will affect the state when it comes to low to mid grade, high grade not as much. The further away you get, the less short term affect and again the best stuff will sell itself. I am no expert but common sense dictates that this will probably happen.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NorEaster, out here in Colorado I don't think it will affect prices at all. The price is pretty much stabilized due to the large scale commercial grows, and I don't see large scale retail grows being able to produce weed for any cheaper than they are now.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The bad news is that I don't think private growers will have much of a market left. Keep your day jobs if you get em!

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i dont think it will have an impact at all at least not in the next 5 years or so.

Puffaluffagus

Veteran
. This should increase supply and when supply increases without a corresponding increase in demand the price for that good or service will decrease..

Yeah but IMO, demand will go right through the roof now that it's legal, smoking weed, eating edibles, and just immersing yourself in the culture is going to be THE THING TO DO, everyone will be doing it, wait and see, all thats been holding it back from that until now has been the pigs.
Your prices aren't going to crash, and I'm not worried about the local market here being flooded with out of state weed, because it already is, but high grade locally produced weed stills sells out no problem.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here in cali there are.... i imagine....more bedroom grows than warehouses...prices for herb havent changed a penny for most of us over the years...ya all that shitty outdoor from the methheads up north drops in price... but there is a market above and beyond the simple potheads that make up the vast majority of the "medical" farce weve all been forced to use as a stepping stone...i dont even think subpar(majority) growers have to worry much...
For those who know what they are doing..the price may even climb..it did for me when i entered the mmj market..who knows what rec will do...good luck colorado and wash and major props for getting this done

BudMuncher1

Colorado is blazing new trails for the Marijuana Movement. I hope other states like Michigan recognize this and follow suit. I could use a job for one!!