What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Last fall I made about 50 small ones (~5 grams. not pictured) as samples. They've been curing since last harvest. I'll be handing them out this summer looking for christmas orders. lol

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

I'm using 3/4" x 6" PVC pipe tube and a vice to prepress extra kief salted buds into shape before wrapping them in banana leaves for their long warm sleep.
Christmas at yours this year?
You sir are a good friend to have only the nicest people gift with something they made themselves.

Nice looking bars they should be awesome by then.

I saw a very interesting article on another forum (along with some stupendously good cobs)
Where dry sift was warmed and pressed in maize husks which were then buried and hot stones placed on the ground covering them.
It supposedly made the best hash in the region I will see if I can paste the article.

Tangwena

Veteran
Found it

Some millennials in Srinagar, Kashmiri keeping up with tradition making one of the strongest products that's made from the southern Kashmiri wild variety. Wrapping high quality drysift in a corn husk then using rope to wrap and seal it before its slightly heated in coals and pressing with a stone. It's then buried underground and quickly heat cured with a fire on-top of the ground or by just placing sealed drysift in burning corn husks/coals. An ancient traditional product that you can easily be made at home you. This is perhaps the origin to hash techniques utilizing corn in Africa such as charas that's wrapped and heated in coals similarly to this or even the cobstyle of curing where to much heat can be an issue and a slightly different techniques was adapted.This is just speculation as corn husks have the benefit of creating an airtight seal when plastic wasn't available so these techniques might not have the same origin. #hashhistory #hash #landrace #hashish #kashmiri #hashculture #preservation #hashtradition

Rio

Tangwena, you assumed I was a tourist in Africa - I was not. I know my ways around for the best stuff in many countries on the continent. I agree that many like weaker ganja, therefore sweat curing is fine. Its done on every continent traditionally.

To put things straight though, to say your weed is stronger after loong storage and more potent than regularly dried and cured is misleading bullshit and someone must say it the way it is.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Tycho...how's the high on those cobs?

I don't think dry sifted resin would ferment, but I bet the high from the cobs made with dry sifted resin encrusted buds was super charged high octane in a good way! Maybe the resin is affected in a positive way by the cobbing process.

Has anyone made cobs with intact resin heads processed from fresh frozen buds? I wonder if the quality of the high of the resin (buds+resin or 100% resin) would be enhanced by the cobbing process?
I'm a lightweight because I can get too high and it can wipe me out. I'm a two hitter quitter so I can't tell you what it's like to smoke or chew a lot. But I can tell you that it's a great high (not so much a stone) and takes me to a place typical weed doesn't. If I smoke a joint, I can't work. But if I smoke some cob, I do my best work. It lets me get a little OCD and lets me focus on complex tasks easily. Some people like getting totally fucked up. I have too much to do and too many responsibilities to go there (it's a control thing).

Rosin (trichomes) are already on the fresh buds and they melt right down into the cob. The heat, pressure and moisture content ensures the safe (from mold) fermentation process. Look at what happens to kief if you squeeze some in your hand. It melts. There's no reason it wouldn't at the very least melt into the cob. We already know the fermenting process enhances it chemically. So salting it with kief can only enhance it.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena, you assumed I was a tourist in Africa - I was not. I know my ways around for the best stuff in many countries on the continent. I agree that many like weaker ganja, therefore sweat curing is fine. Its done on every continent traditionally.

To put things straight though, to say your weed is stronger after loong storage and more potent than regularly dried and cured is misleading bullshit and someone must say it the way it is.
As I said your entitled to your opinion there is no need to get all upset and start getting rude.
I have never said its stronger just better effects and longer lasting effects.
If you dont agree thats fine just say so without resorting to calling things bullshit.
It tells me all I need to know about your character my friend, pics or it didn't happen, as they say a picture speaks a thousand words.
Every now and then I get someone resorting this type of post.
Please try getting your point across nicely you will find people receive it better.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The tests say thc is increased and it seems to be at the expense of cbg. Makes sense.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8217131&postcount=2395

picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Come to think of it, it's rare to find someone flame someone else on here. Ok... maybe in the Climate Change and Political threads. lol

Big Nasty

The smoke and the overall effect are way better,more cerebral and stimulating,fast hitting,it's not about potency,it's a feeling and i swear i've never had visual effects with jar cured buds.

F

Fermented

Hey Rio.....I was skeptical too, but then I tried making cobs for myself.

It might be a good idea to do what we have done which is make cobs and also standard dry/cure buds from the same tree then compare them 2 or 3 months later....otherwise it's just guessing isn't it.

The differences in the effects are noticeable to me, the quality of the cob high is preferable. The high from a standard bud cure can be slightly muddled and confusing while the same bud that was cobbed would be clearer, more focused high that is cleaner, nicer and just better (while still being as high a phuck!). The differences between the two are not immense but I just feel better after smoking cobs compared to jarred bud....but hey, that's just me. There's no way I could work out quotes while high from bud, but it's not a problem when I smoke cob.

But this preference depends on making sure the cobs are produced with the right method, moisture content, temps, duration etc and making sure that actual fermentation takes place...if cobs are not made correctly, all you will end up with is compressed pot.

Happy Cobbing!

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Rio.....I was skeptical too, but then I tried making cobs for myself.

It might be a good idea to do what we have done which is make cobs and also standard dry/cure buds from the same tree then compare them 2 or 3 months later....otherwise it's just guessing isn't it.

The differences in the effects are noticeable to me, the quality of the cob high is preferable. The high from a standard bud cure can be slightly muddled and confusing while the same bud that was cobbed would be clearer, more focused high that is cleaner, nicer and just better (while still being as high a phuck!). The differences between the two are not immense but I just feel better after smoking cobs compared to jarred bud....but hey, that's just me. There's no way I could work out quotes while high from bud, but it's not a problem when I smoke cob.

But this preference depends on making sure the cobs are produced with the right method, moisture content, temps, duration etc and making sure that actual fermentation takes place...if cobs are not made correctly, all you will end up with is compressed pot.

Happy Cobbing!
Thanks brother couldn't of put it better myself ....... no really I couldn't ha ha.
Super wasted on the Malawi/Ethiopian cob AGAIN!

I cant stop this is going to be my new normal ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
The smoke and the overall effect are way better,more cerebral and stimulating,fast hitting,it's not about potency,it's a feeling and i swear i've never had visual effects with jar cured buds.
You really get it dont you? Spoken like a true believer my friend thats exactly what its about the feeling.

orfeas

Veteran
Oye Tang, this is my second attempt at cobbing with a PanaMala ...
What say you sensei? Am I on the right track or what?
Mind you, I've been sweating that cob in my car, no bloody yoghurt maker, man :biggrin:

:tiphat:orf

P.S. sickly rotten fruit smell hits me nostrils

Attachments

• P1110180.JPG
    P1110180.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 17

Tangwena

Veteran
Oye Tang, this is my second attempt at cobbing with a PanaMala ...
What say you sensei? Am I on the right track or what?
Mind you, I've been sweating that cob in my car, no bloody yoghurt maker, man :biggrin:

P.S. sickly rotten fruit smell hits me nostrils
Jesus mine aren't that good brother.
I am super receptive to the vibes coming from that cob (MxE cob).

I just want one ha ha.

Thats stupendous really good work.
I know growers who love their plants just tune into this so quickly your proof man.
5 star cob bro.

orfeas

Veteran
Jesus mine aren't that good brother.
I am super receptive to the vibes coming from that cob (MxE cob).

I just want one ha ha.

Thats stupendous really good work.
I know growers who love their plants just tune into this so quickly your proof man.
5 star cob bro.

Why thank you downunder mate! Blush blush blush...

This morning it was dry on the outside but spongy, like you said, so I gave it a good squeeze, just like I do with the missus buttocks :laughing: , vacuum sealed it and away it went into the boiler room where it's always warmish... see, I reverently follow your tips...weird feeling switching chairs in the classroom ;)

Have a nice weekend!

P.S. Had a good laugh at your username yesterday for I initially thought it was pussy winner but then I found out it is a particular tribe where you used to live... :laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts