What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think the CFL pays little compared to the NFL (like less than 100k a season). And vince mcmahon's new XFL is going to be anthem friendly so probably wouldnt touch colin with a 10 foot pole.

Kaepernick does have a lawsuit against the league, saying the owners are colluding against him by not signing him. I initially thought that no one signing him had more to do with his talents than his politics, but seeing some of the terrible backup qb's in the league (green bay, houston, denver, arizona) and even some of the starters were real questionable (browns, dolphins) last year, im starting to think that yeah, he legitimately should be on a roster somewhere. Assuming 3 qb's on every team, he's not outside the top 96 qb's on this planet. So maybe he'll get some money from his lawsuit but i doubt he'll ever be in the league again.
I heard he was giving seminars to young people about their rights when dealing with police, which i think is a good thing, the police all too often bully people and trample over their constitutional rights in the name of solving crime.

You ever watch that show cops? Years ago, saw some patrol officer, think it was california (maybe even san diego, Pop) where he's just driving past some strip mall, see's a couple young dudes: white dude with a green mohawk and a latino guy walking. Gets out of his car, stops them, asks them what they're doing (theyre just walking, not smoking a joint or nothing) they say theyre doing laundry at the laundromat. I shit u not he asks them mind if i search your pockets, they say ok (
comfort.gif
) white dude has nothing, latino guy has a bag of ecstasy on him. He tells the cop theyre not my pants i was doing laundry but cop arrests him for felony drug possession.

Shit like this is why people need to be aware of their rights when dealing with the popo. 99% of your dealings with them they're looking for something to arrest you on. Theyre not your friend.

Ah, chinese buffet for the holidays, classic. You ever go there on Christmas or thanksgiving, if you feel too lazy to cook? Sad to say that's been me lately...

I dont cook much seafood, tends to stink up the house too much, although i am partial to those frozen salmon fillets from sams club. Maybe if i have a tin of old bay around ill use it on fish.

People are giving good suggestions on spices, but you ever make your own spice mix? I have a bunch of different spices in my cabinet, i'll just take a ziploc bag, throw a bunch of salt in there (mortons or kosher, whatever), a good amount of black pepper (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the salt) and then start throwing in spoonfuls of 8-10 other spices i have: garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, thyme, basil, oregano, paprika, etc etc. If you throw some turmeric and curry powder in there you'll have a more middle eastern or indian flavor. If i put some red pepper or chili powder in there i go a little lighter on those, for just a touch of heat - if you want it really spicy you can always add more red or chili pepper to the meat separately.

A bag of homemade spice like that will last me a month or two and is a good way to use up all those spices in my cabinet. I tend to buy the big containers of spices from sams club cause im cheap and if i dont use them regularly it will take me a decade to use up one container...

iTarzan

LOL baba. I get told a few times a that either I or my house smells like fish. I eat my fair share of fish and more.
I sometimes binge feed on a particular protein when I get a craving. However, a typical week of suppers is chicken 3-4 times, fish 2 times and then 1 of hamburger, steak or pig meat.
I could easily live on fish and pig meat for a minute. I could live on Black Diamond marinated steaks until my arteries all clogged up and I died. Sometimes I just have to have a hotdog and when that moment comes I will have them a few nights in a row.

I like to spice things differently although I have my go to blend of spices. I routinely use soy sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, oyster sauce, salt and pepper on various meats. Then sometimes it is curry, ginger, tumeric or Lowry Seasoning salt.

When I use my gas grill I put wood on the grill right over the burners. It is a small camp fire and gas fire at the same time for the woodsy smokey taste. Those little wood chips they sell work but a bunch of sticks adds to the atmosphere of the cookout.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Well, better your house and clothes smell like fish than like skunk (cannabis). Amirite?
Most white fishes dont smell too bad, to me at least, but u ever cook mackerel? Whoo eee, stinks to high heaven. But it's a very meaty fish, the closest thing you can get to a steak in fish form imo.

Your diet sounds pretty healthy, mostly chicken and fish. Is the black diamond just a marinade based on soy sauce and honey/brown sugar? Sounds delish. I too crave those dirty dirty tube steaks on occasion, i prefer all beef dogs, you have any favorite brands?

As kenny rogers roasters say, it's the wood that makes it good. I do enjoy that nice wood taste in my grilled foods, thats why i got into smoking a few years back. Do the wood chips tend to clog up your gas grill when you put them right on top like that?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i make a few different spice blends
its easy like you said baba' and adds a lot of flavor
is that your standard blend? sounds nice and savory with a little kick
for an chineesy-asian style get this stuff called five spice or just add some cinammon to your mix
i have the greek seasoning mentioned! it is good and you are right, add it to the flour you are going to fry with and it gives it a certain yum!
me and the mrs can get like that too, itarzan
we eat something or have a craving and for the next week its all about that taste at least once a day
/mostly work lunches
lately ive been eatting a lot of beans and things like that, esp kidney beans
make those with some ham and i could eat that for days!
im interested in hearing more about black diamond steaks too

the hardest part to prove for kaep is that they collectively decided to ban him
its hard to prove others intent unless you really have a smoking gun
/how can you tell me what 32 people are thinking or prove they are plotting against you
yes, it agree that he is a better player than a lot of guys who are playing 2nd 3rd string around the league, but i also think a lot of teams can honestly say they just dont want to take a chance on his commitment to the game or invite drama
the funny thing is, kaeps been out of the league for years and the only time ot comes up is...
so i ordered a big bottle of that tony c creole seasoning
turns out its only a few bucks more to get a big shaker than the serving size bottles so i pulled the trigger
i can always share it with friends too
i will be sure to post up when i get it

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Hey Toker, i think we decided we'll start a 2018 thread when training camp opens in August. But if you want to make one now, it's a free country brother.
Brady is the #1 player in the league according to a survey from players. Not bad for a guy in his 40's, huh?

I change up my spice blend whenever i run out of what i made previously. My last mix had turmeric and curry powder in it, everything came out somewhat yellow and had a middle eastern flavor. Not im working through a bag that has bay leaves and a bunch of other leafy spices in it. Thats not bad either. Maybe i'll add some lemon pepper to the bag, for a little citrus zing to it. Does that greek spice have a little lemon in it? I always like to get the greek chicken at greek owned diners, soft and tender and lemony hmmm...

Kaepernick's collusion case is going to be difficult to prove for sure. I would think mostly because he's not that good of a passer; he's kind of like a tyrod taylor, an average passer at best, his best quality as a passer is that he keeps interceptions low. His first two years as a starter u think wow, dude's going to be a star, but once the niners lost harbaugh and players and went downhill, you realize he's not a rodgers-luck type of qb that can take a 3-5 win team and make them a 9-10 win team. He's not going to elevate a roster beyond their talent level, he's not a threat to pass for 4k yards or 30 tds.
On the other hand, if dudes like matt barkley, tom savage, blaine gabbert (!), and derek anderson (!!) can get paid millions to hold a clipboard and sometimes take meaningful snaps, then kaepernick surely deserves a spot on a team. He's not any worse than those dudes.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i looked up that recipe for the black diamond steak and it looks very nice and easy
plus, you probably have the ingredients around the house right now (a big plus)
i remember when flank steaks were cheap, but now it can get up there with tri tips unless they are on sale
/its a super popular cut here in sn diego, used to make carne asada and stuff like that
so when you say you get it at a deli is it served thin cut like for a sandwich? that would be rad! served over some crusty bread and some au'ju
DANK!

talent wise, kaep isnt the worst player out there but the upside of bringing him on isnt worth the risk to most teams
if kaep was serious about football he should be doing something to prove he wants to play again; shoot, even manzel is going to canada (a lot of good player have come outof the cfl)
so it looks like jamis is getting a three game slap on the wrist in addition to some settlement ($$$$) to squash the uber thing

one more day to go guys, are you ready for the weekend?!?

iTarzan

The deli has the flank steaks labeled Black Diamond and the sirloin labeled Black Gold. The same marinade on each cut. They are vacuum sealed, labeled and packaged in 2 individually sealed but connected seal-a-meal type bags. They are in the freezer. $15 for 2 steaks, either 2 flank or 2 sirloin. I always get the flank steaks. They are more tender IMO.

Flank steaks did use to be cheap. They are used in Chinese cooking too and that them in demand more. Same thing with chicken wings. They used to be so cheap they were like free meat and then the world went barbecue chicken wing crazy and you can't even find fresh ones sometimes.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Dang tarzan, $15 for 2 steaks? How much does that come out to per lb? If it's not more than $4-5 a lb, that's not so bad i guess.
I know what you guys mean when a certain type of meat becomes more popular, demand skyrockets and so do prices. Brisket used to be $1 a lb till smoked brisket became the rage, not it's 3.50-5 a lb, maybe on sale i can find it for 2.30 at sams club or costco...

You make a good point about kaep playing football in the cfl, just to show he can still play. But going from making $1million a game to 5 thousand a game is probably a hard pill to swallow, although even 5k a game isnt anything to sneeze at.

It's going to be crazy hot here in the midwest this weekend, like 100F, so not looking forward to that so much, Pop. Probably too hot to even bbq, unless you've got shade or do it in the evening...

shithawk420

Veteran
its never too hot or too cold to bbq.not when prime ribeye is involved.And iTarzan is right.flank or skirt steak is ideal for chinese or mexican food.used to be real cheap but prices are getting pretty high these days.

ive used that cajun seasoning and im not a fan but thats just me pops.i always thought it was a travesty when my uncle would order halibut with cajun seasoning.maybe its all that paprika?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
now i get it, t'zan; we get these arrochurra steaks that are the same way
they come in those cryopacks with the seasoning already in it, you just take it out and cook it how you like
a few minutes on each side over a hot grill and you are in buisness
15$ for two pre-seasoned steaks dosent sound that bad at all brother
chicken wings is another thing that has caught on and is now expensive unless you can snag a deal
brisket is another great example
so i have recieved my bottle of the tonny C's seasoning and its not that bad
it has a little spice up front but has a ton of good flavors on the back end
i will have to get some shrimp or something and see what the mrs thinks
thats the spirit, hawk; its never too hot to grillout
i know what you mean about not wanting to do much in the heat of the day baba, i have no problem getting up early so i do a bunch of stuff in the morning when things are fresh and cool outside

it would be a bitter pill to swallow for sure for kaep to take such a pay cut, but i figure he is making next to nothing right now and has less prospects going forward
the cfl would only be a stepping stone for him to reestablish his commitment to the game
on another note i heard tim tebow is still involved in pro baseball ( i think at the 2A/ 3A level) and was just names to the southern league all star team (or what ever league he is playing in)
yeah its a far cry from where he used to be but at least he is still living his dream of being a professional athlete

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Spoken like a true grill man, Hawk. And are you really eating prime grade ribeye? Isn't that stuff like 15-20 dollars a pound? But worth it if you find it, stuff must be marbled like a dream.

That's tony's seasoning is creole, not cajun. There's a difference, although people who arent familiar with that cuisine often get the two mixed up. I think creole is less spicy?

I actually like paprika as a spice; it's a fairly subtle, sweet heat for me. If i make a spice mix with paprika and chili pepper, i'll use a whole lot more paprika than chili pepper.

$15 for 2 steaks isnt bad at all, less than what'd you pay at a restaurant for sure, but for me if it's significantly more than just buying the meat and marinating it myself it's not worth it.

I buy a lot of chicken, mostly whole chicken and thighs, and don't pay more than $1.10 at sams, plus they have their rotisserie chickens for $5 (theyre really good, theyre brined beforehand and are very juicy). Compared to beef prices, chicken is still pretty cheap. I havent bought wings in ages, how much are wings? Like $2 a lb? I hardly ever deep fry chicken, too much of a mess for me...

Tebow might actually make a major league roster in the next year or three if he keeps working hard. Good for him, although i still think he's good enough to be a backup in the nfl. Yeah his passing was even worse than colin's or tyrod's, but again he kept interceptions low and he added value by running. The whole experience on the jets with rex ryan may have driven him from the league. Also, he draws attention like colin does, not negative so much but enough that it may affect team unity - he usually has more fans than the starting qb.

shithawk420

Veteran
its more like $30 per pound were i get mine but its straight from the farmer.hes got his secrets he wont share except he says its mollasses.think there might be a pick in my album.and yeah i know its hot by us Babba.91 here.but all i need is a cold beer and a good piece of meat and i dont mind the heat.im not gonna grill just for hotdogs.hoping to tailgate at soldier field this year but we'll see.

shithawk420

Veteran
I think the CFL pays little compared to the NFL (like less than 100k a season). And vince mcmahon's new XFL is going to be anthem friendly so probably wouldnt touch colin with a 10 foot pole.

Kaepernick does have a lawsuit against the league, saying the owners are colluding against him by not signing him. I initially thought that no one signing him had more to do with his talents than his politics, but seeing some of the terrible backup qb's in the league (green bay, houston, denver, arizona) and even some of the starters were real questionable (browns, dolphins) last year, im starting to think that yeah, he legitimately should be on a roster somewhere. Assuming 3 qb's on every team, he's not outside the top 96 qb's on this planet. So maybe he'll get some money from his lawsuit but i doubt he'll ever be in the league again.
I heard he was giving seminars to young people about their rights when dealing with police, which i think is a good thing, the police all too often bully people and trample over their constitutional rights in the name of solving crime.

You ever watch that show cops? Years ago, saw some patrol officer, think it was california (maybe even san diego, Pop) where he's just driving past some strip mall, see's a couple young dudes: white dude with a green mohawk and a latino guy walking. Gets out of his car, stops them, asks them what they're doing (theyre just walking, not smoking a joint or nothing) they say theyre doing laundry at the laundromat. I shit u not he asks them mind if i search your pockets, they say ok (View Image) white dude has nothing, latino guy has a bag of ecstasy on him. He tells the cop theyre not my pants i was doing laundry but cop arrests him for felony drug possession.

Shit like this is why people need to be aware of their rights when dealing with the popo. 99% of your dealings with them they're looking for something to arrest you on. Theyre not your friend.

Ah, chinese buffet for the holidays, classic. You ever go there on Christmas or thanksgiving, if you feel too lazy to cook? Sad to say that's been me lately...

I dont cook much seafood, tends to stink up the house too much, although i am partial to those frozen salmon fillets from sams club. Maybe if i have a tin of old bay around ill use it on fish.

People are giving good suggestions on spices, but you ever make your own spice mix? I have a bunch of different spices in my cabinet, i'll just take a ziploc bag, throw a bunch of salt in there (mortons or kosher, whatever), a good amount of black pepper (about 1/3 to 1/2 of the salt) and then start throwing in spoonfuls of 8-10 other spices i have: garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, thyme, basil, oregano, paprika, etc etc. If you throw some turmeric and curry powder in there you'll have a more middle eastern or indian flavor. If i put some red pepper or chili powder in there i go a little lighter on those, for just a touch of heat - if you want it really spicy you can always add more red or chili pepper to the meat separately.

A bag of homemade spice like that will last me a month or two and is a good way to use up all those spices in my cabinet. I tend to buy the big containers of spices from sams club cause im cheap and if i dont use them regularly it will take me a decade to use up one container...
i remember that episode of cops.ive seen all of them.that was bogus but i see them do it all the time.theres a guy on youtube called Mike The cop and hes actually cool for a cop.lots of info he gives.sorry for quoting the whole post.keybord is broke and im lazy:tiphat:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah i was always a fan of tebows, but he was sort of in the same boat as kaepernick
in a way he was the first to kneel but for totally different reasons, he was a good athlete but i think the way he wore his religion could have gotten to some people.
but like you said, he could move the ball with his feet and dident make stupid throws

love those rotisserie chickens,man!
how can you beat a whole bird ready to eat for 5$
i will carve the thighs off and the breast, then we make a stock out of the carcass
/i eat the wings while im portioning the chicken
most of the time i just cut the breast up and make chicken salad; chop the chicken fine and add onions, celery, the works

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
$30/lb is a lot for meat but if it's prime it's still cheaper than going to a steakhouse. And you make a good point about not firing up the grill just for some hot dogs. I know some other people who buy large portions of beef straight from the farmer; the yuppies call that 'farm to table' now.

Dang hawk, COPS the show has been on for decades, youve seen all the episodes? I used to watch it a bit but after i started using cannabis not so much, makes me depressed, thinking that could be me, lol. The profiling and lack of probable cause the cops regularly employ on that show is disturbing. Do you remember the episode where the cop saw a guy he arrested before, young black guy in a pimped out lexus coupe (rims, lights, etc). Cop was just driving past, saw dude at a gas station, said hey ive arrested him before for drugs let's detain him again. Pull him out, cuff him, search the car, find drugs, off he goes to the station. I mean, dude was kind of stupid for driving around in a car that screams 'drug dealer' but still, not everyone who pimps out their vehicles is selling drugs, maybe they just like the way it looks...

Tebow was always open and upfront about his religion but i never found it in your face, and he wasnt a hypocrite either, or at least so far hasnt been involved in any controversies that would make u think he's one.
Still, the fact that half the time he'd sail a 5 yard out ten feet over the receiver's head is the reason he's been out of the league for years now, although it'd be interesting to see what he would have done during the player's anthem kneeling crises.

Pop, you sound like a real chef with how you use the whole bird. Do you make a lot of soups with the stock? Do you add dried fruits like cranberries to your chicken salad?

shithawk420

Veteran
yep.there was more than one episode where they do that.its bs but if youve been busted for drugs before thats probable cause to search you on the spot for drugs.its bullshit.i know.but im pretty sure thats the way it is.in IL anyway.

anyway football.all im gonna say is its bs to bring your religion and politics into a game that some people take VERY serious when they are making millions and wanna be some kinda egotistical crybaby.all im gonna say about that.i hope the Bears radical changes pay off.DA BEARS! hey,a guy can hope right?at least they arent the Browns! J/k

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah prime meat isnt cheap and its best if you can get it from the source
even buying prime, unless you know the rancher the best stuff goes to the top
i like to buy the choice meat roasts they have and cut them into steaks myself, you end up spending a bit up front but get really good meat

/a friend here (on IC_Mag) recently mentioned that in his area tri-tip is kind of hard to find; do you guys find that the case?
yeah we like to make our own stock
i might toss a few bones in the summer, but once the cool weather sets in the soup making really kicks in
i like to simmer a pot on the stove all day letting the flavor develope
the mrs loves soups and broth, but i will use the "chicken water" for things like beans or rice too
dude, its funny you mention adding cranberries to chicken salad
for the longest time i was dead set against that and i still think people who put pineapple on pizza are freakin straight up nutters
but tastes change,and now its something i would consider
/i prefer raisins in teh chicken salad

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
anyway football.all im gonna say is its bs to bring your religion and politics into a game that some people take VERY serious when they are making millions and wanna be some kinda egotistical crybaby...

this all the way man
im not tuning in for political commentary or life advice, i just want to watch some football

/very well said hawk'

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Johnsonville makes bad ass brats, beer brats, Italian sausage (mild or hot), even chorizo sausages for the grill.

Johnsonville- The Official Summertime Grillable Sausage of Jellyfish!:tiphat: