What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks pops.and your right jelly.i got some Johnsonville beer brats in the fridge with a ribeye!

What I do is cook the brats in a aluminum pan with peppers onions and beer and when they are about done put them directly on the grill to finish.no complaints yet.lol I just noticed how Chicagoans that sounds.beer brats! Da beer! Da Bears!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
It must suck to have an arrest record and be known to your local beat cops; anytime there's a problem, something stolen or even a violent crime, if there's no immediate suspect you automatically become a person of interest. For no other reason than that the cops think you're the local shithead and think you must have had something to do with it.

Ive heard of tri tip but ime it's not a very popular cut around here. Most stores with butcher counters might have a few packages but it's not a given, and if they do it's not so popular that's it's consistently sold out. Or maybe it is and i just dont see them.
Sirloin tip roasts are more popular around here, you'll even find them at sams (who only carries the most popular cuts), but i believe that they come from different parts of the cow, the tri tip is more marbled.
Ive heard that the top 15% of all choice grade meat could be considered prime quality. I do always look for the best marbled meat, dont know if ive noticed a difference though...

Brats cooked in beer and onions and finished on the grill is always a classic, hawk. Johnsonville makes a solid tubesteak, but a lot of butchers make their own sausages and those can be higher quality as well. Ive had sausages from a butcher in the burbs that were so meaty (not much fat or filler) that you could instantly tell it was higher quality, like a difference between an all beef hot dog vs one made of pork/turkey.

Edelman lost his appeal for a 4 game suspension for PED use, even though they couldnt identify the substance he supposedly used. Then how do they know it was a PED?!?
He's a top 15 fantasy receiver when healthy, but losing a quarter of the season will knock him down into the 20's at least. This may bump up chris hogan's value as well.

The Legion of boom is down to one now; kam chancellor announced his retirement, saying his neck injury hasnt improved and he runs a serious risk if he tries to play again. Now it's just earl thomas in that secondary, and even he might be traded; wouldnt be a bad move for the seahawks if they can get some good draft picks or players for him.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening fellas'?!
i hope everyone had a fun 4rth of july
the show this year wasnt as good as its been in the past but it was fun to sit on the roof and enjoy a nice summers night
a little smoke and a few burgers up there were icing on the cake
so i guess the neighbors behind us let their house out (like some air BnB thing)
the family that was there was hilarious, i knew they would be fun when i was grilling in the evening and heard a bunch of little kids getting excited for the night
one little girl in particular was the best, excited about everything great about summer time and the 4rth; plus she had the best accent ive heard in a while
i dotn know where they were from, ( maybe PA?) but she pronounced burgers: "boo-uh-gurs"
so much fun, i love the 4rth of july!

sirloin tips are nice cuts of meat, my mom loves sirloin
i like to make things like carne asada or asian style beef with the tri tip;they cook up tender and full of good beef tastes but its cheaper and less fatty then the cuts i would get for steaks
love me some brats and sausages in general
i will ahve to try the chorizzo flavor ones on the grill
onions, peppers and brats sounds dank!
do you have that inside of a bun or just straight off the plate
a good german potatoe salad would roud that plate out nicely
what are some of your favorite summer sides,guys?

i read about chancellors decision to leave the game
there is some talk about how he is going to step down, cap hits and stuff like that
he sounded really concerned about his health, especially in his later years and i wish him the best

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Maybe the girl was saying 'boogers'? Because you can eat boogers as well as burgers, when youre a little kid...

I think skirt steak is like the tri tip of the midwest, it's a popular cut used a lot for carne asada tacos, most every store carries it. Not that cheap though, usually 6-9 dollars a lb, but worth it if you know how to season and cook it right.

Sirloin tip roasts are the cheapest beef you can get at sams club besides ground beef. It's very lean so you have to braise it to keep it juicy if youre baking it. I havent messed with it too much but i might try a roast, make some nice roast beef for dinner, and sandwiches for later. Guess i could even try to make italian beef with it, because chicago, but i dont have a slicer to shave it thin...

Im usually more of an american potato salad guy, i like that creamy mustard and potato flavor, but german potato salad sounds awesome. Bacon in it, served warm, sounds like a good substitute for mashed potatoes. I also like cole slaw, but it's a challenge to keep those cold sides chilly when out in hot weather.

Speaking of sausages, did anyone watch the nathan's hot dog eating contest? That guy joey chestnut has won 11 in a row and set a world record with 74 dogs and buns in 10 minutes. I like to watch this 'sport' with a mixture of fascination and disgust. These people are literally just wolfing down, with the bare minimum of chewing, two dogs and buns at a time. They soak the buns in water so their throats dont get dry and theyre just cramming food in their face with both hands. It's almost enough to put me off hot dogs for... well, at least for a few hours.

Supposedly the CTE researchers in boston are working on a test to show how much cte a living person has; if it works, then current players can test to see how likely they are to suffer severe brain issues later in life.
Such a test, while good for players' health, might be a severe blow to the game. What if 10-15% of the league has to quit playing every year because their CTE tests come back with a bad prognosis? Heck, even rookies or college players may have to cut their careers short.
Maybe then they'll have players wear huge padded helmets, looking like darth helmet from space balls the movie, to prevent head trauma.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i like the creamy potato salads too,baba
the mrs makes hers german style with the bacon and soaks the cooked potatoes in vinegar so its also kind of tart
a nice roat beef sounds dank,man!
even "hand sliced" thin is good enough for a nice sandwich, plus save that juice and you can make them like french dip style
i recently saw something about a pro flag football league on like nfl.com and would hate if this is the direction of where the game is heading

shithawk420

Veteran
skirt steak for $9 a lb!?you smack dab in the middle of Chicago!? thats absurd!im in the Dixon area and can get choice ribeye for about $12 a lb.thats bogus.Another reason i hate the burbs.dont you have a Jewel or something?

i heard about that flag football too Pops.i heard players like farve are having trouble with brain injuries as they get older so people are starting to study brain damage in football more.my dad knows more about it.i understand injuries are a serious thing but thats the price you pay if you wanna be a millionaire i guess. i probably wouldnt watch flag football

MrBungle

Boo-uh-gers sounds a little further Northeast than PA... Somewhere like Boston where they eat Lobstahs and Clam Chowdah and great quarterbacks never retire

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
$9 is high for skirt steak, it's usually 5-7 bucks a lb, maybe $9 is the whole foods price. Actually, 11-12 dollars a lb would be the whole foods price, but it would be grass fed organic beef or something.

Massholes like to pronounce their r's as "ahhhh's". Harvard yard becomes hah-vahd yahhhdddd....

I didn't realize favre has been having brain issues lately. He's 48, hasnt played in 6 years, but apparently has been having issues with short term memory (forgets people he met a few months ago), has trouble with coming up with certain words in conversation and stammers. He's honestly afraid that in another 10 years he's going to forget where he lives, maybe even have problems with walking.

https://www.today.com/video/brett-f...otball-on-megyn-kelly-today-1209121347518?v=b

At the time, i was sort of happy that it was a bears hit that sent him into retirement, but i dont feel so good about that anymore.

[The Vikings were facing the Chicago Bears on "Monday Night Football" in late December of the 2010 season. The game was being played outdoors at the University of Minnesota's stadium in Minneapolis because the Metrodome roof had collapsed a week earlier.
"I was completely out -- 10 to 15 seconds," Favre said, via ESPNWisconsin. "Miserable night, the dome had collapsed, our season had gone from bad to worse. I didn't have to play in the game, [but] wanted to. I remember telling myself in pregame, 'You're an idiot. What do you stand to gain in this?' But I thought, 'I'll survive this game. I'll be fine.' "
He was not.
A second-quarter sack by the Bears' Corey Wootton gave Favre a severe concussion. And the odd thing was, "[It was] one of the most minor hits I've ever [taken]," Favre added. "The guy didn't even hit me. He pushed me. I threw the ball and the field of course was solid ice. It was like concrete. I hit the left side of my head and the next thing I remember, I was snoring as our trainer was kind of shaking me saying, 'Are you OK?']

Wootton just gave him a little push but hitting his head on the ice hard turf concussed him.

I hope he doesn't get any worse than he already is, and also hope that all this brain research can discover possible treatments. Although healing nerves is very hard, otherwise paralyzed people and alzheimer's patients would be cured by now...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
its weird how injuries work and an unfortunate occupational hazard of the game
sometimes the slightest hit causes the worst injury;sometimes guys can even get hurt without being touched
i guess all the league can do as an employer is work to improve the game (improved gear, rules against hitting defenseless players,etc), but football a rough game and the players now are bigger and faster then ever
i wonder how a scan of a professional fighter/mma type compares to a football player, how about a motocross racer or a bull rider?
/and how the damage to the body compares across the different positions on the field; dont a lot of linemen have problems associated with carrying around so much weight for all those years
in the end for a lot of these guys its a golden ticket to a better life
even the ones who never see the pros can get free university education as well as a way of avoiding the bad decisions a lot of younger kids make when they have too much free time

it was a fun accent where ever it was from
mrsChicky is from the boston area
shes lived here in ca for decades, but every now and the she will slip into her old ways
even tho i grew up in san diego, i lived a lot of good years on the florida panhandle, so im pretty fluent in southern'
/as kids we used to run around nekkid' and get into all kinds of fun
its weird how we can all pronounce things in a different way but mean the same thing
plus the regional slag, thats always cool to hear

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
This year the nfl has the ryan shazier rule for tacklers not to lead with their heads when hitting the ball carrier, to prevent the sort of neck injuries that dang near paralyzed him.
But it seems like half the head hits are when players' helmets bounce off the turf when they go down. Even natural grass isnt that soft when you fall onto it, especially if you cant break your fall with your arms.

Boxers definitely have CTE risk because of all the repeated blows to the head. MMA fighters in theory have less because they take fewer shots; if theyre dazed by a good hit, chances are theyll be pounced on and finished before they recover. So, fewer blows but harder ones. Maybe that's better?

Interestingly enough it seems soccer players also have a good amount of concussion risk, because of headers.

I think someone mentioned earlier that there's a flag football league with recent nfl players in it. Saw a game with jimmy clausen, seneca wallace, justin forsett and even nate robinson (former nba player) and jeremy wariner (olympic sprinter) playing. It was like the nfl in that qb's were throwing darts everywhere, and receivers and db's were making athletic plays on the ball, but no tackling, no pads or helmets. Maybe that's where the league is going towards?

Northern florida, Pop? Man, you must have seen some 3 inch long mosquitos growing up. Like suckers that will bite you through your shoes, a jacket, gloves...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
the flag league had m.vick playing this weekend, caught some highlights on nfl.com
it had the speed of football but just dident feel the same
we saw the same stuff in the arena leagues where they allowed a player a running start; plenty of down field action but it felt more like watching a scrimmage
/kind of like drinking non alcoholic beer, it just was lacking something there
ive heard that too baba', about soccer players having head injury problems
the point i was going for was a lot of recreation is dangerous and its not just football that has its share of injury
add in the fact you have grown men running into each other at full speed and you are just upping the ante
haha, the mosquitos in fla were bad but the flying roaches were a million times worse
were talking big suckers as fat as your thumb, man they freaked me out
the worse bugs were mantis, not here in the states but overseas
these things were like a crazy alien life form from out of this world
my cousins had no fear and would catch them and tie string around them and keep them as pets
i hate freaking bugs!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Dang, i would have liked to see vick playing flag football. Did he scramble much? Maybe ill have to start taping that league.
Yeah, it's not much like real football, there arent any running plays that i saw, but it is interesting to see professional football players play this game, you can really see the difference between them and amateurs.

Supposedly cheerleading is the most dangerous sport. I could see that, throwing a person 20 feet in the air and having to catch them, no net or padding if you don't.
Still, football (and to a lesser extent boxing) has that slow, insidious effect of brain damage after they retire. Dudes start self-medicating, acting strange, even violent. OJ simpson and aaron hernandez, despicable as their actions were, may in part be attributable to CTE.

Ugh, big flying roaches? Nasty.
We've got praying mantis's in the midwest, usually small ones, like a few inches long. But the ones in africa or south america i think can grow up to a foot long. We were talking about old horror movies in this thread, wasnt there one about giant mantis's? The way they just grab their prey and start eating it alive. If they eat the head first it's a quick death, but if they start on the body that's just a bad way to go...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah we have mantis here in california too, but they are smaller like you said (at most a few inches long)
the ones in the orient were insane and vicious; at least a foot long and fat around
plus they would rush any insect within reach and devour everything they could catch
our girl was a cheerleader, she was the flier and competed on a national level
/fliers are the ones who they will throw 20f into the air
luckily she was never seriously hurt, but she had good team mates
hit up nfl.com and check out the highlights, they are good
i think vick is the star and even has his own team,the beast play i recall he ran what looked like an option and then took off; the man still has some serious wheels!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Huge, vicious praying mantis's sounds like a recipe for a good mantis fight. Maybe not exactly humane, but they're bugs.

I'd imagine most of the cheerleader injuries are sprains and strains, just from all the jumping and tumbling they do. It's a very physical sport, nothing like nfl cheerleaders which are basically dance squads. Competitive cheerleading is more akin to gymastics or chinese acrobats (building human pyramids, etc).

I managed to catch one of vick's games, he looked good throwing dimes and evading pressure. When he was on the eagles, first full year as the starter, the offense wasnt doing as well as expected and experts thought part of the blame is vick was still a limited passer, he wasnt mentally quick enough to get to his 2nd 3rd 4th reads when option #1 was covered. People were saying they should limit his reads to one half of the field, make things simpler for him. I asked an eagles fan what sort of offense they should run and he said they should just go 5 wide and let vick make plays.

He certainly looked quick in his decision making in the flag league, but maybe that's because there's no pressure, no linemen blocking his passing lanes. He's short for a QB, so maybe his problem in the nfl was that he had trouble seeing over the line, so that's why he didnt go through his progressions as quickly as he should have.

Lesean Mccoy is being accused of setting some goons to beat up his estranged girlfriend, also of beating his son, his dog, and abusing steroids. If there's any truth to these rumors, he's likely facing a very stiff suspension. I wasnt planning on drafting him in fantasy football anyway, his last couple of years have been subpar compared to his draft position, and he's on a team that will again struggle on offense so the opposing defense can just focus on him, limiting his upside.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
ive been steering clear of the mccoy thing, but i read somewhere that the police investigated and determined it was a home invasion
to me, it sounds like an inside job, or they at least knew she was hooked up
/when they went in they were after certain valuables according to the article i read
i dont know if shady was directly involved or is just being accused by his ex(?)
yeah competition cheer is nothing like the cheerleaders you see on the sidelines of an nfl game
its funny you mentioned gymnastics because she also does that too
im sure they have mantis fighting in some countries
to us it may sound inhumane, but a pair of mantis fighting to the death would be tame as far as what happens overseas
these type of things are very popular and big money is wagered on the fights
while i hate watching animals being mistreated, unfortunately there are places where life is still cheap; i try not to judge but sometimes i cant help myself
i was once overseas and watched a guy kick the shit out of a stray dog on the street for no good reason; i just about went full ham on this guy but my relatives held me back
they explained that its only bad people who come back as dogs and its part of their karmic burden to be mistreated, like the guy was doing a good deed
but thats just my western bias, in a lot of places dogs are seen as bad or unclean
who am to judge, i just know i would never hurt a dog without good reason

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The working theory is that mccoy sent a goon to the house to rob and beat her up. If they're able to track the perp down and ID him, link him to mccoy or arrest him and get him to confess, then lesean is looking at some serious criminal charges and the end of his nfl career.
I understand mccoy and the victim used to date but are currently estranged, and she was squatting at his mansion in an atlanta suburb, refusing to move out, and he was actually in the legal process of evicting her. Just dont know why he wouldnt just finish the eviction process, why he felt he had to send a goon to assault her, if thats what he really did.
Maybe he was pissed that she was basically holding his home hostage; id be pissed too if i were paying mortgage and taxes on a nice home that i couldnt live in cause my crazy ex refuses to leave, and if i show up she's going to start a fight with me.

I figure fighting bugs isnt really that big a deal for most people, cause them things eat each other all the time, and most people dont like bugs, so one bug killing another would be viewed as a good thing.

I think outside of the western countries dogs are considered dirty animals, no better than any other farm animal. And truthfully, as someone who's owned dogs in the past, they're animals, not people: they can be dirty and stupid like any other animal. Here in the states we're used to treating them on par with children, but when you get right down to it this is an animal that will eat garbage or shit if they have to, just because you feed yours steak tartare and free range chicken doesnt mean all dogs have that palate.