What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jamaican Strain Identification?

pescador

nomadic said:
Hi Pescador,

nice plants! I got just in touch with Kaiki (Charlie) from cannabiogen and asked him about the purle pheno with the Jamaica 85. He said it occurs but not with great frequency. Be interesting to know what Dubi says, all the photos of his Jamaicans always seem to be white flowers and huge bushes!
:bat:

I once saw a pink flower pic of the Jamaican 85 posted by ACE Seeds (Dubi I think), but I can't tell you what forum it was on. I have been trying to locate it without success (should have saved it then). I am curious to see how that beautiful plant you have will flower. Strawberries...wow! never had that! ;)

Also, for the dumby, where is sw2? Thanks

pescador

Very nice man!

I am experimenting with tying and bending as I heard it is better, but I may regret it. I never intended them to veg this long, but I have been too busy to get my setup up and running.

It is hard to see the MG problem on the pics for some reason, and it may be getting better, but it is there...not too bad though.

I never got to smoke the african seeds Malawi as after leaving them alone for a long weekend, they got overrun with spider mites. It was my second grow, and it took me too long to properly diagnose the issue and take action. So I never smoked it. I can tell you that the leaves on some plants were very trichomy, more so than this ap strain. Check out Elevator Man’s excellent Malawi grow as I think they are from the same seed stock as the African seeds (this info comes from afropips though).

Have you smoked the caribe before? What is it like?

G

pescador said:
Have you smoked the caribe before? What is it like?
Not smoked Caribe yet, she has a really good reputation amongst Spanish growers, esepcailly for the aroma and nice up high. Will post a smoke report on here once mine are done and properly cured.

Hey RoNdO hope yours are going nicely too, I'm getting wonderful branching on them and absolutely loads of bud sites. They seem to like a lot of sun and do great outdoors. Great pest resistence too. Never had anything except top notch, well bred genetics from Cannabiogen. Might have to grow one of the Ace varieties or the Jamaican 85 some time soon if I can get hold of it. Reckon the guys over here have pretty much preserved some fairly pure Jamaican genetics whilst everyone on the island has been mashing them up with imported ones.

Pescador, shame about your MG, hope it turns out better this time. sw2 is Brixton, annoying old habit of using postcodes :wallbash:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Pescador - ah, now we're getting somewhere - those look a lot more like mine now! Trouble with mine is I've pinched it out so many times all the leaves are small and relatively chubby - next couple of days I'll post an update - promise. The leaf color is amazing though - deep emerald-green. They look blue-green compared to the skunks, etc., but next to the Flos, they're much more of a bright pea-green. Lovely stuff.

As for those bud pics - that is similar to how they looked - I only saw my friend's budding very briefly, and they were purple, and rosette-like. I think I'll get much bigger ones indoors though. No strawberry smell though.

BTW, I may have just spotted a damn mite on my MG! After three Neem drenchings too!

G

pescador said:
Sorry for the long string of posts, just trying to get some info. It does look like there could be some blueberry in there. I read that blueberry is now common at least around negril:

See mid page:

http://www.hightimes.com/ht/grow/content.php?bid=178&aid=3

I am still trying to dig up where I read that blueberry was introduced early on. Maybe i dreamed it.
Hi Pescador, I can remember reading something similar about how Blueberry got introduced to Jamaica. Can't remember where though. If I remember right, I think (not sure about this) the article said something about DJ Short taking it over there himself. I'll have a look and see if I can dig something up. One of my caribes is starting to show red calyxes, will post a picture once they are showing nicely.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here´s kaiki´s LIF
Jamaica/C99Haze#4/Chitral
Strawberry fields forever :D
LIF=Let It Flow

blacklb937

this page excites me! i also love the jamacian strain.. but iv also put together a jam/choc.trip bx2 with djs blue. iv gota lota f2s thou and am testing outside this season. iv gota make another trip to jam to get a MOM... its loosing the warm head's. and i havent seen a jamaican mom but thouse are looking great!

G

Hola Raco!
Raco said:
here´s kaiki´s LIF
Jamaica/C99Haze#4/Chitral
Strawberry fields forever :D
LIF=Let It Flow
been trying to work out why he named it LIF for a while :confused: Great name :jump: Can't stop drooling every time I've seen it, beautiful plant. Don't tell me it has the strawberry odour as well! Hey, did you have anything to do with the Jamaica ending up around here or know anything about it?

Peace

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hola nomadic :wave:
Yes,it has the strawberry smell...and I have nothing to do with the Jamaica strainbase jejej!!
I smoked LIF 3 years ago in a very special day, it was supreme :D
Also smoked some KIF :woohoo:
KIF= Keep It Flowing :wink:

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Here's a pic of the Jamaican leaves in the main room - I'll do some shots of the whole plant in a day or two. Notice how few notches the leaf-edges have:

pescador

Elevator Man said:
Pescador - ah, now we're getting somewhere - those look a lot more like mine now! Trouble with mine is I've pinched it out so many times all the leaves are small and relatively chubby - next couple of days I'll post an update - promise. The leaf color is amazing though - deep emerald-green. They look blue-green compared to the skunks, etc., but next to the Flos, they're much more of a bright pea-green. Lovely stuff.

BTW, I may have just spotted a damn mite on my MG! After three Neem drenchings too!

Hi EM. I thought you'd say that! The stems look the same, the leaf forward pointing trait seems the same (though it does not always occur on all leaves for me), and when my plant was healthier, the deep green color is roughly the same. The only thing is leaf thickness, which as you pointed out, is likely due to pinching.

Here is a good read that I think you are aware of. I am not sure, but I think most of the plantations are around Negril.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3584.html

About the spider mite, that damn thing :dueling: I came accross this thread today that may interest you: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=18473&page=1&pp=15

pescador

nomadic said:
Hi Pescador, I can remember reading something similar about how Blueberry got introduced to Jamaica. Can't remember where though. If I remember right, I think (not sure about this) the article said something about DJ Short taking it over there himself. I'll have a look and see if I can dig something up. One of my caribes is starting to show red calyxes, will post a picture once they are showing nicely.

Red! There you go! :joint:

pescador

growingfury/rahan

How did the Jamaican from hemcy look, smell, smoke etc? Anything like what we have on this thread?

Also, is the Old School Jamaican you grew on this forum from ACE Seeds? I don’t see the pics on this forum, do you still have them? http://www.planetganja.com/highsociety/showthread.php?t=16670 from

Also to note that my uncle in Spain, who live in Port Antonio for 9 years, has a strains he has kept going since 1989 -brought over himself, which harvests in November in Spain, and produces a happy, uplifting working high. The plant grows like a sativa- 4m tall. It is not too string though. He is a hobbyist and has kept the strain going through hermie pollination though...which is why I would rather find another source of seeds. Maybe I can ask him for pics so that I can post them here.

pescador

So it seems that the leaf thickness on Rahan's plants are pretty similar to what I have. I can't see red wine colored stems on his. I have some other seeds from the same bag that my current grow came from, so maybe one day I will find out if there are some white stemed phenos in there.

I still would like to find a jamaican strain while over there that looks identical to the Peter Tosh album cover.

My 2nd to last post should have said: My uncle's plants are not too "strong" , not string....but they are stringy and lanky. :Bolt:

EM, thanks for the pic! Can't wait to see the entire plant! What does it smell like?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Fairly mild smell so far - there's a few tiny buds at the bottom that formed under the fluoros - too far from the light. Stems don't smell much at all. They're growing out now, but the resin does have a peculiar smell - it is vaguely cheesy, but not in a rancid way - kind of flowery cheese, but there's this musty, dusty smell that I can't put my finger on.

I added the second light to the growroom tonight, making 1200W, so there will be some serious growth over the next couple of days, and I'll do some portraits of this beauty then.

ngakpa

Veteran
glock23 said:
You're dealing with imported genetics my friend. Sorry! A pure Jamaican plant would be a sativa. That's a hybrid you have there, whether American, Canadian or Dutch. Jamaica is full of imported genetics now thanks to all the tourism. At least it'll be good smoke, even if all you did was re-import genetics. If you give 'em your hybrid..believe me, you won't be the first to introduce new genetics to Jamaica. There's no such thing as a Jamaican landrace. Cannabis was introduced to Jamaica.

The REAL Jamaican would look like an Indian sativa, due to the Indians who were brought over by the British over a hundred years ago...ganja is an Indian word. Here's my Andhra Pradesh landrace sativa...personally brought back from India. If you wanted some 'real deal' Jamaican, this is what you'd want..heh. I sent it to a guy on OG (Rahan) and he attempted it indoors. Took him 16-18 weeks for his seed crop! Took me a year outdoors from seed.

hmmm, hold your horses there fella ... see what ACE and Cannabiogen have to say on the subject ... it's perfectly possible, likely even, that Indian "Coolies" bought indica genetics with them to Jamaica too

personally I think the more diverse the picture of the reality on the ground the closer it is likely to be to reality ...

Many "Coolies" were from Gujarat ... considerably closer to Pakistan than Andhra Pradesh, for what it's worth

likewise, the fact that "ganja" and "Kali weed" are terms for cannabis used by Jamaicans, and Indian in origin, does not preclude the possibility of African and Chinese/SE Asian genetics having made it to Jamaica quite early on too...

given that Jamaica is on a major trade route, genetics there are likely to have been diverse for a while, prior to the advent of the coke trade ... the reason why people often suggest Columbian herb is mostly grown there now ... that is pure speculation on the basis that coke runs between SAmerica and Europe often via the Caribbean

anyhoo - just cause it's got fat leaves don't mean it's not authentic ... seems perfectly reasonable to me to talk about Jamaican landrace

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Well, if this 'Jamaican' is or isn't the real deal I really don't mind anymore - I've been smoking this all day since I got up (14 hours) and I'm totally wired - still no anxiety or jitters, but plenty of blisteringly strong rushes and warm head-waves. It's very 'up' indeed, and tastes delicious, if a little over-cured, i.e. on the bland side. But I'm seriously happy to have this beauty in my arsenal now...:)

sounds like the Jamaican I was smoking in the early '90s - gorgeous taste and aroma, very rushy (powerfully), up high, vision blurring when overdone etc.