What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tuner or Muscle?

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
lexus-lf-a.jpg

mayorofthdesert

muscle!
growing up in a midwest farm town I learned that there were 3 things worth focusing one's life on 1. girls, 2. a fast car 3. football. I hated football and my looks were such that if I was going to have any luck with the ladies I needed to either be good at football or have a fast car. Since I spent most of my dishwasher job money on weed I ended up turning my attention to motorcycles instead of cars - MUCH cheaper and quicker/faster than my freinds' cars anyhow. So yeah, no football, no fast car = I'm a bachelor to this day. But that could change. Although my favorites had all been gm or mopar I got a great deal on a well worn mustang with an overheating problem. I went overboard. my goal was lofty: get 25 mpg on the freeway, run 12s at the dragstrip, an unassuming appearance. I'm close & I think it's achievable. Every bit of work aside from machining the block and balancing the rotating assembly was done by me.

looks exactly like this in real life:
mcqmf7.jpg

motor:
newer roller cam 5.0 stock crank & rods, afr165 heads, 9.5:1 compression, edelbrock air-gap rpm intake, holley 570, custom crane cam, crane roller rockers, hooker comps, jacobs ignition, crane distributor, custom cool air intake.

trans:
late 80's AOD with a Lentech auto/manual valvebody with electronic overdrive delete and a few other tidbits. It uses a FRPP 2500-2700ish rpm stall converter that retains the od lockup for freeway mileage.

I rebuilt the rear end with 3.80 gears and trac-loc, kinda wish I went for a full locker though - traction is the car's main issue now, hehehe. Suspension is entirely rebuilt, I fully boxed and welded the upper and lower control arms, dropped the upper arm mount for improved wheel camber through the suspension's movement, added anti-sway bars front and rear, good shocks, traction bars, welded subframe connectors, engine compartment front shock bracing, welded shock towers...
I edited out the photo
car looks stock on the outside and kinda beat up. wheels are replicas of the stock steels in 15x7 instead of the skinny 14s.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Pimp Muscle cars....:pimp3:

Attachments

• 2005BJCCA2_1000_34_T.jpg
    2005BJCCA2_1000_34_T.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2005BJCCA2_1000_Rear_T.jpg
    2005BJCCA2_1000_Rear_T.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 28
    1.9 KB · Views: 28
V

Voodoo

Anything with wheels producing power will do just fine for me. Befri with the RX7 and Boo with the 55 Truck, nice vehicles - good representations of either side of the fence.

Heres a shot of mine;
100_1385.jpg

Cadillac CTS-V, Cammed LS6.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
no, I mean Corona......it's a sleeper ;) Ugly lookin' wagon

3337205484_c7644ec6e3.jpg

I had a 1971 Corona Mark II sedan. It only had a 2000cc motor but it was the fastest four cylinder I ever drove. The rear end gear was so small the car topped out at 75 mph.

I won a VW bug in a title for title drag. I even put 3 passengers in the Corona with me and still won.

The station wagon above has a pretty nice profile. My sedan was butt-ugly, looked like it came out of a Godzilla movie.

hashit

how about a tuner with muscle in it? i'm a huge fan of the conversions and hybrids section of LS1tech

they have wrx's, 240sx's, 350z's, even a civic hatchback with LSx engines in them, pretty wicked

ArcticBlast

Ah, I've been on LS1Tech since it first split from LS1.COM. I'm a muscle guy myself...but also like tuner. My car was a 99 Z28 (LS1) with headers, 3800 torque converter, and other bolt ons...was a mid - low 12 second car.

Had to get rid of it about 5 years ago :(

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
Ah, I've been on LS1Tech since it first split from LS1.COM. I'm a muscle guy myself...but also like tuner. My car was a 99 Z28 (LS1) with headers, 3800 torque converter, and other bolt ons...was a mid - low 12 second car.

Had to get rid of it about 5 years ago :(

its a great site! i'm digging all the 350z's getting "upgraded" to the ls2 lol, very sick. especially twin turbo ones lol. Civette's wrx should be wicked too! and lets not forget all those turbo lsx mustangs floating around on there LOL...

ArcticBlast

ArcticBlast

Veteran
lol yea...I plan on gettin a fox body in the future and put an LSx in it. Ford Tough, Chevy Stuffed!

i want to swap an ls2/6 into one of those foxbody Capris...apparently ultimate sacrilidge swap right there haha

ArcticBlast

ArcticBlast

Veteran
well, credit given where credit is deserved...if you're gonna rock a pt cruiser, at least its mean!

ArcticBlast

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
Back in the day when I still went fast... I used to have a 5.9L Jeep GC debadged and worked up....

The feeling was always sweet smoking a little import or mustang of the line... I was always good to about 60 and especially in the rain! After that "brick effect" would start to catch up pretty quick. There was a guy in NYC running a stripped down JCG with a 5.9L that I think could pull into the 11s in quarter... Again fast as hell for a brick!

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
I remember those 5.9s.

Have you see the new SRT8 JGCs. They are extremely fast!

Yeah, those are really slick looking too. Jeep has done a good job with their "sport" line of JGC, they are always the best looking sport SUV of their generation and cheep too!

The 5 9 actually started the craze of mainstream fast SUVs. Before that there was a "huricane" or something along those lines though. A turboed 6 cyl chevy blazer maybe?

Shred42O

nothing has that raw feeling like a muscle car with 454 big block roaring under your hood
but i still do love pulling g's around corners in a good tuner
but when it comes to the quarter mile ill take a muscle car all day

W

whiterasta

This is a buddies car from Vancouver BC before he bought the racing engine from DCR. Stock block,custom intake mani, hand made tube turbofold, big turbo, meth,big I/C w. spray.
Plenty of big torque and HP in these motors just should have been AWD or RWD cars.
Any way reliable and streetable 4-450 whp is pretty cheap and easy on a PT/GT
Enjoy the dyno run! Summer 2010 he will be posting 1000-1200whp on the same car running a DCR 2.6 full race motor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0DL8xKC9c4&feature=related

Latest posts

Latest posts