What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tuner or Muscle?

muscle no question for me.

EDIT- i don't know if someone said this yet, but, There's no replacement for displacement.

I used to say the exact same thing, then I bought a '90 Talon TSi AWD...boosted AWD 2dr 4cyl...I love muscle...but small motor plus boost = hell a lotta fun! haha

Go HORSEPOWER!! no matter domestic or import!
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

B

boo

ok, to be honest I too admire inports although they dont hold a candle to my heavy metal, just what Ilke...much respect to tuners that know whats to be done...my M has a supercharges motor with rear gears, headers and freeflow exhaust...new suspension and gumy nittos...450 hp at the rubber...the 45 is slammed, new suspension and tuned to 400 hp...factory kills tuners on these rides...props to pro tuners but homage to roller motors that push these sleds to 9 second 1/4's

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 28

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Sorry bud, but neither of your cars will do a 9 second quarter.

They are also both Imports. Nice rides though.

B

boo

you're right bud...if ya woulda read a few posts before I do have 9 second machines, but the tweak cars are not in that group...thanks for the props on the imports...heavy metal roller motors are my passion

Attachments

• railings 016.JPG
    railings 016.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 32
  • railings 011.JPG
    railings 011.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 29

hugetom80s

I don't drive anything remotely fast right now. I had a few foolish cars a decade or so ago, but both my cars right now are import economy cars. One is a rare nearly-antique Honda, so I don't want to post details on it. Sure, I could black out the tag and so forth but there can't be more than a few of these still on the road and fewer that are the same color and body options as mine.

But as far as picking between tuners and muscle? That's tough. I've driven both and the tuners are more fun to drive in most categories but there is just no substitute for the growl of a great big motor. Just sitting there at idle with that throbbing sledgehammer under the hood... tuners just don't move the soul. WOT on a muscle car versus WOT on a tuner? No contest. I'd rather hear a muscle car roar.

Tuners sound like someone is torturing industrial equipment. Not necessarily in a bad way, but it's cringe-worthy.

I'd have to go with muscle I guess. The clincher is the crowd. I'm just not young enough to want to listen to ONLY the bass track of someone else's music, and the tuner crowd is much more heavily populated by the inconsiderate "bumper" types. I know that's not everyone, but if you hear someone bumping and look out the winder, it's not a muscle car. Muscle cars come pre-equipped with a bass track and you don't need a loud stereo to compensate for engine-envy.

pinkskunk

im building a 1986 vl turbo, curreuntly been doing body work bout to shoot paint in afew days. color is solid impulse blue with asteroid silver trim. rb30 turbo custom inlet and intercooler. manualised 3speed auto. one piece tailshaft,lsd. rear disc brake conversion,custom interior, boot install, probably some b-boss 20s. building this for my girl.

og kush

theres nothing like a tuner car. its special in its own way.
i choose tuner over muscle. but i defienetly get/understand muscle. the sound of some of them engines gets me excited...........

pinkskunk

i love both and id build either,im building a turbo coz i baught the car a couple years ago for a thousand bucks and its been a good ol beast,now its getting a major rebuild paint engine gearbox rewire interior and stereo driveline suspension.

dc2bar

Wow! there's a suprising amount of tuners on IC.

Tuner here as well,

2001 Integra GS-R
Benson Sleeves
CP 9.8:1 Pistons
Pauter Rods
Built head by JG (Supertech retainers and springs, Ferrea Valves, port/polish/angles, AEBS Studs)
Precision SC61 snail
Lovefab SST Manifold
3" side dump DP

Gutted, 2 knockoff brides inside, JDM HID Front end conversion, Hondata S200B

......stolen from the shop i had it built at.

SO, gave up on hondas and picked up an Infiniti G35 Coupe, 6mt, sport package.
Left it alone so far, minus Stillen cams, stillen intake, and HKS tru-dual exhaust.

No further mods planned, unless you count a set of 20's.

DankSide

lol G-damn some people have some nice cars. The sr pictures again bring back so many memories. I kicked out a good 13.6 run before getting rid of my old sr powered 240, it put me on to boosted cars.

That said, tuners ARE more fun, but I really can't stand the majority of import racers that just slap a loud exhaust can on the back with some lowered springs and drive around like maniacs - I have to ask who these people think they are? lmfao.

So much money gets wasted on BS exterior parts to make imports LOOK fast, that the main point gets mixed up. I would drop 10k on motor and suspension modifications before putting a single cent on something for the exterior.

Muscle cars I have driven had mostly sluggish suspension. While straight line racing is fun, there is little skill and far less rush involved in quarter mile or roll races. My dream car is a street driven 240 with a high revving v8. the 240sx platform is a favorite because of rwd and ease of sr20 drop in. The sr20 has awesome potential in itself, but I would prefer more torque.

Hard to beat the spool and blast of a turbo though! You feel, hear and react to all these noises going on around you that are telling you what's happening with a turbo which is maybe a bit less involved with a naturally aspirated vehicle.

safe driving guys! Keep it on the private roads and the track.

C6H6

Import!
have a 73' Ford T bird with a 400 block and a turbo supra. supra is way more fun not to mention its a targa top.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
how about a tuner with muscle in it? i'm a huge fan of the conversions and hybrids section of LS1tech

they have wrx's, 240sx's, 350z's, even a civic hatchback with LSx engines in them, pretty wicked

ArcticBlast

Prof Sublime

Hard working pothead
Veteran
Ya I seen civic hatch with a big block in it.. Kinda crazy IMO..hahahahaha

People have too much money.

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
I don't know. Always been feeling a 3000gt vr4 with active aero and tuned turbos, but nothing will be cooler than a big old boat with a nice cruiser in it... 442 anyone?