What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So what is the deal with phylos these days?

mr.brunch

Veteran
Personally, I trust none of them. But I have plenty of refrigerated seeds, and there are still reputable seed companies around at the moment, so between that and cloning I should be ok.
I also have a very hard time believing that g-13 story too... sounds like something made up to sell weed.

G

GatorGumbo

I really hate saying this, but I think it's pretty obvious that the more cynical among us have so far been leaning in the direction Phylos seems to be taking things. There are market and business practices that maintain the intellectual and creative property of another person's work, and it's intrinsic unless waived by them.

If Phylos wants to play the patent game, they have no choice but to go to the breeders with their hat in hand to pitch "options in Phylos" and "cash". Hearing that, as an amateur businessman myself, it's not compelling. Their alternative option is risk a class action lawsuit, something I would be spinning up for the moment I heard that podcast. If I were a breeder, knowing all this, I would put the screws to them. No doubt.

Miasa Mura

From the info on they’re instagram as well as the Adum Dunn interview, it sounds like they’re are partnering with breeders and not just taking DNA from samples people had submitted. It also sounds like a true crop improvement project like what Luther Burbank did all those years ago, to speed up maturation, increase environmental tolerance as well as pest & mold resistance. It’s such a bummer we’re in the age of patents!! Steep Hill with their patent on the “Ecuadorian Sativa”, a Island Sweet Skunk hermi F1.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I feel like I saw a few youtube video where the founder or possibly representative of phylos explained this technology would help protect growers and breeders from people trying to patent their work. Seems like that alone should be enough evidence to hold them to it in court. But then again what do I know.

White Beard

I really hate saying this, but I think it's pretty obvious that the more cynical among us have so far been leaning in the direction Phylos seems to be taking things. There are market and business practices that maintain the intellectual and creative property of another person's work, and it's intrinsic unless waived by them.

If Phylos wants to play the patent game, they have no choice but to go to the breeders with their hat in hand to pitch "options in Phylos" and "cash". Hearing that, as an amateur businessman myself, it's not compelling. Their alternative option is risk a class action lawsuit, something I would be spinning up for the moment I heard that podcast. If I were a breeder, knowing all this, I would put the screws to them. No doubt.
I dunno, I’m pretty cynical these days, and I don’t think I’m headed in Phylos’ direction: for one thing, I don’t have means, the motive, or the opportunity to massage the relational data to, say, make “Super OG Candy” look like *IT* is the prior art...(hopefully a made-up analogy).

Phylos, OTOH, has all three - and they have two semi-secret weapons: big, Big Money, and a big black box. “Dime-a-dozen hippie” growers will have fuck-all chance to break open that box, even in court, even without big money footing the bills (...and the punitive counter suits would be devastating).

NO, I am NOT saying they are doing these things. I am saying their “transparency” is professionally ambiguated legal armor, and if you’ve paid much attention to anything while you’ve been breathing, you already know how such setups tend to play out.

The fundamental lesson is from Animal Farm: some are *more* equal than others...or, to paraphrase Carlin, it’s a big club, and we ain’t in it

G

GatorGumbo

I dunno, I’m pretty cynical these days, and I don’t think I’m headed in Phylos’ direction:...

I said leaning, as a figure of speech not an insult. The cynical takes on Phylos have been more correct than the neutral ones is all I meant.

White Beard

Didn’t feel insulted at all...

Didn’t feel insulted at all...

Thanks for helping me understand better :tiphat:

Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8553385&postcount=485

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedtoker View Post
Meanwhile, some people are still waiting to know their samples results since more than a year has passed

cheers
More like 5 years ,,,,,, I got manipulated to Big Time ..... They stole our exp time strains to build maps , so they could show up out of know where and breed , I WAS TOLD TO MY FACE IN PERSON BY ROB CLARKE THEY ARE NOT BREEDING NOR GONING START A SEED COMPANY ,Were we both lied too??? ?? They needed old strains to figure out origins of cannabis and start the Galaxy
That was in April / March 2014 ..... same in 2016 when they asked for more , here I am 5 years later out of over 10 submissions only 3 tested ,
on phylos since galaxy has been put up those individual lists have changed big time , I took screen shots .. David watsons results on same strain vary over years ..... there not stealing from dead plant material or old unviable seed , "I Don't Think" ? , But live plant submission of any type has high possibility to be tissue cultured ...

so people never involved with cannabis in last 5 years who don't even smoke cannabis ,never paid there dues , never took risks , never had anything to contribute on there own , can show up collect genetics under a guise and start seed co .. and thats ok ... must be.. cause noting will get done , to steal the lively hood from those who made it possible in first place ????? I'm confused ,

shaggyballs

Veteran
So now I predict Phylos goes out of business to avoid lawsuit and keeps and protects the genetics somehow.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
So now I predict Phylos goes out of business to avoid lawsuit and keeps and protects the genetics somehow.

They wont even need to.
Phylos Bioscience runs the SNP’s
They are just a subsidiary.
They wont use that same company for their nursery businesses.

These are businessmen first. And they are wicked smart in that arena.
Its all about corporate structuring.

G

GatorGumbo

They're talking about using genetic markers to speed up breeding by lab selecting each generation. It's the future for sure, but will that alone basically irradicate the small time breeders? They have a ton of genetic information to establish markers, which I'm guessing are just gene expressions.

It could be near-future daydreaming from Phylos, but sooner or later it will be a reality. My money would be on sooner, and it being both a good and bad thing.

White Beard

Good question. They may end up dominating the “legal” market, hopefully only for a time; but I have trouble imagining any cannabis-related scandal that could do more to make sure clandestine growers keep doing it the old-fashioned way

mr.brunch

Veteran
Can’t wait for someone to buy up some of their ‘perfect’ clones and s1 them...
Maybe give them away for free...
its almost Bound to happen...

G

GatorGumbo

That's a good point, it would really only effect the big timers. I think a lot of people in the underground scene don't appreciate break away big business cannabis in general, maybe myself included, because they see it as a form of recreational medicine. Between industrial agro and the hydra of big pharma, cannabis could get backed into a lot of corners in the long run and we're all apprehensive about anything new.

As far as getting clones, yea that shit will get passed around like no other lol.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Surely it’s only a matter of time before we see a P-13 clone :biggrin: “... yeah dude I’m tellin ya, my buddy sneaked it out of the phylos lab man...”