What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sacred Seeds Skunk #1 in 1980

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I think I just found ONE thing you and Nev agree on, Sam: There was no Afghani #1 in the old skunk bred by you.

Hemphrey, Sam states the Afghani was in his skunk #1 though:

" Originally Posted by Sam_Skunkman View Post
Wrong, Skunk #1 was the first version and it was skunky as hell. I bred through selections of skunk #1 and reproduced the sweeter seeds and later the sweeter and higher clones, maybe not more stoney or skunky. I selected for what I liked as well as against the skunky smell that caused problems for growers, it was illegal and just to stinky to manage safely. I called all versions Skunk #1 they were all from the same genepool Afghan / Colombian X Acapulco Gold, just selected for different end goals. I never called any Skunk #1 RKS that name popped up long after Skunk #1 was introduced in 1976 (people did say it smelled like a dead run over skunk near a grow). I did not like to smoke the really skunky ones they were stony as hell but did not get you high the way I like, so by selection I altered that and made a much higher sweeter version that was pretty much ceilingless when the resin was smoked, and still strong as hell but a better high to me. I also increased the brancheyness (from the main stalk, side branches from the branches, from the branches from the branches) making more sites for bud as well as increasing the flower to leaf ratio. I always did selections with big plants in the ground to avoid using parents that cant hold up big flowered branches, I want strong stems, and reject parents that have problems."

billycw

Veteran
Don't believe it could have been Afghan #1 or Maple leaf that Sam used in SK#1 pre84. Mel claims to have given Sam Afghan #1 in 84, it was around before this so Sam could have gotten access to this line from another source earlier, he would have to answer that...

Here is Mel's story out of his mouth- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvkcfrcXmMM

Also believe Nevil obtained Maple leaf and other Jim Ortega stock after Sam's first visit, so early skunk breeding couldn't have come from this source...

I've posted this before but its relevant here too. Posted to old CW in Nov 27 2001 by "Dr. Evil"

Questions about Origin of Skunk #1 - and maybe a Re-Mix of Skunk #1
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2001, 03:38 pm »
Hi All,
The original skunk #1 was (Afghani x Acapulco gold) x Columbian. The original cali-o was the same mom (afghani x acapulco gold) x thai. Hence the similarities. Used to know someone involved with the original project many eons ago. The original goal was to try and shorten the flowering time of a sativa enough to grow in northern california. Got to smoke bud from related (same lines, but not same exact parents) of the afghani and the acapulco gold (which was one of my all time favorites, turned a roomful of experienced stoners into giggling idiots for a couple of hours).

HTH
Dr. Evil

Not many early broad leaf pioneers have told their stories, always listening.

Great thread Madjag, tagging along:tiphat:

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
HMK, with all due respect, I don't see where Sam said the really stinky version of SK#1 had Afghan #1 in it from that quote. He mentioned Afghan, but never said which one specifically.

Am I wrong here or did Sam not just say Afghan #1 wasn't in the early skunky, funky version?

HB.

Madjag

Veteran
If you guys agree, thats cool with me. I just pointed out the discrepancy to achieve clarity on the issue.

I am still mystified why our skunk looked nothing like any of the plants you showed in your skunk#1 grow though, it was a rock hard buds, fairly short, multi top indica predominant plant; I posted a picture of it in the RKS thread recently.

Since Sam states that he introduced SK#1 in 1976 and that it was super skunky, I believe that the SK#1 that I bought in 1979 for the 1980 season was the later Skunk#1 that Sam had bred for sweetness and a more cerebral high.

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I did not like to smoke the really skunky ones they were stony as hell but did not get you high the way I like, so by selection I altered that and made a much higher sweeter version..." [/FONT]

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Don't believe it could have been Afghan #1 or Maple leaf that Sam used in SK#1 pre84.

Here is Mel's story out of his mouth- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvkcfrcXmMM

Also believe Nevil obtained Maple leaf and other Jim Ortega stock after Sam's first visit, so early skunk breeding couldn't have come from this source...

That's quite true, but that point regarding ML and its non-use in the development of the early skunk#1 can be inferred through Nev's quote. He had to have had something previous (the skunkier line direct from Sam in seed form) to compare the ML to at the time. Nevil comparing ML to some of the skunk he got from Sam S doesn't mean he's saying SK#1 in any way came directly from ML. The two lines might have been totally unrelated OR...ML could be a cousin of SK#1.

HB.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
HMK, with all due respect, I don't see where Sam said the really stinky version of SK#1 had Afghan #1 in it from that quote. He mentioned Afghan, but never said which one specifically.

Am I wrong here or did Sam not just say Afghan #1 wasn't in the early skunky, funky version?

HB.

Yeah we are on the same page. He didnt say Afghan #1 wasnt used though, just that afghan #1 wasnt skunky.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Skunk#1 used a Mazar Afghani, not Afghani#1.

Whichever Afghani, It seems agreed there was Afghani. He said Afghani #1 was not skunky, maybe he will let us know if the skunky smell originated with the Mazar version, or if it wasnt present until after the cross was made, or if it came from a different parent.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Since Sam states that he introduced SK#1 in 1976 and that it was super skunky, I believe that the SK#1 that I bought in 1979 for the 1980 season was the later Skunk#1 that Sam had bred for sweetness and a more cerebral high.

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I did not like to smoke the really skunky ones they were stony as hell but did not get you high the way I like, so by selection I altered that and made a much higher sweeter version..." [/FONT]

So you are maybe saying that the 76 version had more indica leaning phenos, and possibly thats what we had, or from right around that time. By the time you got it, it had been transformed a fair bit already towards the sweeter version.

..Sam has stayed with it evry minute of the way, from then until now. Believe it.

Actually he has said he is in retirement, and has been for awhile regarding breeding. He has very old seed and some clone stock still though, but doesnt sound like he has been breeding for awhile now.

window

Veteran
Whichever Afghani, It seems agreed there was Afghani. He said Afghani #1 was not skunky, maybe he will let us know if the skunky smell originated with the Mazar version, or if it wasnt present until after the cross was made, or if it came from a different parent.

Yes, only Sam can tell us:biggrin:
Here's my guess at it...the Mazar provided the underlying funk, the perhaps, cat pissie Colombian? added the sour notes, making a skunk spray smell? And the Acapulco, which we know hastened the flower time, may have added a touch of sweetness? Maybe, just maybe, the sweeter Skunk#1 is Acapulco dominated?
I really don't know, I'm just guessing, lol...like I say only Sam has the answers.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Don't believe it could have been Afghan #1 or Maple leaf that Sam used in SK#1 pre84. Mel claims to have given Sam Afghan #1 in 84, it was around before this so Sam could have gotten access to this line from another source earlier, he would have to answer that...

Sam said he got the Afghani #1 from Jim Goodwin, and was offering it in seed form, it sounds like in around 1978. its in here he talks about it, starting at 1:07:00ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJB63OBDb8

Also earlier a guy asks him when he decided he didnt like the afghani "dankness", and started to breed away from it, thats good to listen to starting around at 36.45 (37:50 is where he is asked about the afghani dankness and breeding away from it).

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran

Wonderful thread madjag , thanks for taking the time to scan some history and post it....
I think people have the realise back then not much cannabis smelled like a skunk.... So skunk obviously stood out ... I'm sure some of the other Afghanis had skunky type traits compared to the common cannabis of the day that got a
" skunk" label to it ,
Also there are many different Afghanis .. Not just the nag champa sweet Afghani#1 there were acrid ones garlic ones and hashy types aswell ... I'm sure Mel JG ,gave Sam ghani#1 but I'm sure sam collected his own while he was in afghanistan.....not my story to tell thow...

I grew original skunk seeds from my pops and there were kinda skunky but also had hint of orange citrus and the slight spicy of the acapulco and colobian gold

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran

After re-listening to him talk, he says he started his seed company in 76, also started breeding skunk#1 then(or maybe a year earlier), and he offered having haze for sale as seed in 1976, and skunk#1 a year later. so the first skunk #1 for sale was 1977, and you got seeds from two years later then, third year of offering and fourth or fifth year of breeding.

Limeygreen

Veteran
All I know is the skunk I would want would be the one that Sam Smokes. To me the roadkill smell is not great, but seeing how many people want it, I am surprised it hasn't popped up in a stable line available en masse. Great pictures of the skunk, looks gorgeous.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Thanks for posting that link, HMK. I've never heard Sam's voice before, so it was cool to hear the legend talking about cannabis.

The stuff he mentioned about Haze was pretty insightful. Punta Roja, a Green Colombian and a "Mauve"(I think that's what he said) Colombian make up the Original Haze...I think I'll be concentrating on all the Colombians in my seed collection from here on out! Maybe do several open pollinations with different combinations, lol. I'll probably never find it, but the search would be fun.

Big Herb should listen to that whole show. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it since he's been chasing Haze forever.

HB.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Man that show is hard to watch. I smoke my face off but I can at least still form a sentence lol. It was worth it to hear Sam speak but some of the dudes kinda bothered me with the typical yo man like we are so high man wow dude let's chill with the old timers man..