What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sacred Seeds Skunk #1 in 1980

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Man that show is hard to watch. I smoke my face off but I can at least still form a sentence lol. It was worth it to hear Sam speak but some of the dudes kinda bothered me with the typical yo man like we are so high man wow dude let's chill with the old timers man..

One has to wade through some mindless stuff here too. Most places one will seek stoner related information you are going to find some useless meandering to wade through. That episode of HC is actually time stamped though, so you can go to the parts you want instantly and skip a lot of stuff you might not want to listen to.

All I know is the skunk I would want would be the one that Sam Smokes. To me the roadkill smell is not great, but seeing how many people want it, I am surprised it hasn't popped up in a stable line available en masse. Great pictures of the skunk, looks gorgeous.

Its not really about flavor, its the superb stone, with the taste we seek. People say there are quite a few skunky things around, but people still seek the powerful version from 1979-1995ish. Our cutting we never bred, we just kept taking cuttings, and pretty sure it lost vigor and most likely got a disease or two along the way. It really lost the vigor and a fair bit of stink by around 2000.

Thanks for posting that link, HMK. I've never heard Sam's voice before, so it was cool to hear the legend talking about cannabis.

The stuff he mentioned about Haze was pretty insightful. Punta Roja, a Green Colombian and a "Mauve"(I think that's what he said) Colombian make up the Original Haze...I think I'll be concentrating on all the Colombians in my seed collection from here on out! Maybe do several open pollinations with different combinations, lol. I'll probably never find it, but the search would be fun.

Big Herb should listen to that whole show. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it since he's been chasing Haze forever.

HB.

I think he said a blonde columbian, but not positive. My dad and his cronies used to get green, grey, blonde, lots of colors of import, same with cambodian, there was grey cambo, brown cambo, etc

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I am unknowing, but sadly, when I actually finally got my shit together to try and revitalize it, in i believe 2004, I couldn't find one. We held it forever as it was #1, but it was getting harder and harder to grow, not as pungent, and then BHO came out. I was a major proponent in our area, and as the BHO form is potent and easy to ingest in quantity, I think that had a large part in people finally dropping the cut, as other strains in BHO form were actually pretty damn strong.

I was given a bunch of seeds from a 90's skunk grow, it was just skunk in the room, late flower selfed seeds collected over years actually. Only got one to live, and it is all I have left from the 1980 cut. Actually going to investigate f2s made with the selfed RKS seed, x (starlet kush x stardawg) fairly soon hopefully.

I feel off topic, sorry Madjag, please have your thread back to document your past endeavours if you wish!

Miraculous Meds

Sam said he got the Afghani #1 from Jim Goodwin, and was offering it in seed form, it sounds like in around 1978. its in here he talks about it, starting at 1:07:00ish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJB63OBDb8

Also earlier a guy asks him when he decided he didnt like the afghani "dankness", and started to breed away from it, thats good to listen to starting around at 36.45 (37:50 is where he is asked about the afghani dankness and breeding away from it).

Damn, I misread ur statement n thought I was going to get skunk info at 1:07. Still cool to hear some insightful info.

He did speak of skunk around 36 min. He talked about its stability n positive aspects of its hybridization. I didn't really hear him speak to breeding away from afghani or dankness. More so he moved away from the strong skunk aroma n narcotic stone that seemed to come with that terpene pheno. that's where he moved more toward the sweet aroma, since it carried more of the high he enjoyed. Sounds like it was more similar to the haze high that he seemed to be really fond of. which I found was interesting that it was basically 3 types of Colombian in its original form.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Like I said buddy asks the exact question about when he started breeding away from the afghani dankness at 37:50, and Sam says pretty much right away, in response.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Sorry I keep doing this to your thread, Madjag, but I keep digging into old posts from Nevil on this topic and I found this quote...the "medicinal" part made me laugh, lol.

"The Afghani#1 was bred by Sam. When I expressed my disgust at how horrible it had become to Sam, he told me he didn't smoke it. The taste was described by Sam as medicinal. Well it was bad medicine. Let me put it this way. If I hadn't had a smoke for ages, and I found some A#1, I wouldn't smoke it.

Sensi didn't have A#1 for sale in '94. I was making their seeds then. Maybe it was NL1 or Maple leaf x NL1.
N."

Here I was thinking that Sam maybe added A#1 to make the original skunk #1 "sweeter" and he didn't even smoke it! There goes that theory.

HB.

bigherb

Veteran
Thanks for posting that link, HMK. I've never heard Sam's voice before, so it was cool to hear the legend talking about cannabis.

The stuff he mentioned about Haze was pretty insightful. Punta Roja, a Green Colombian and a "Mauve"(I think that's what he said) Colombian make up the Original Haze...I think I'll be concentrating on all the Colombians in my seed collection from here on out! Maybe do several open pollinations with different combinations, lol. I'll probably never find it, but the search would be fun.

Big Herb should listen to that whole show. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it since he's been chasing Haze forever.

HB.

I've seen it interesting show

I thought since day one it would be amazing to talk to SamS , he seems very straight forward and outspoken he doesn't hold back . I like how he seems to share soo much knowledge and experience and still be open minded down to earth and have a sense of humor .

I greatly appreciated him speaking on the show it was an insight to his personality. Made me think abit different of him in a positive way . Reading post is much different then sitting an opening up with someone in actual convo

Below is a quote from Sams about the lumbos He/you refer to he posted this awhile back . I saved it because I thought it was great detail and he okayed the repost

Quote:Sam_Skunkman
I do not have it, I deleted it by mistake, repost it if you have it.
-SamS

This was your post below I saved it by taking a photo soo I had to re type it . I felt this was some great insight to abit more history of the Original Haze. I believe this was word for word I tried to write it exact

Quote:Sam_Skunkman
The very first original Haze was a late 60's three way cross of Colombian Punto Rojo, a green one, and a light magenta one, all different, all from Columbia, several years later I gave Thai and S Indian seeds that were also crossed to Haze, I had seeds of all of them, Original Haze, and Original Haze X Thai from off the stick gold Thai about 76 in Santa Cruz , called Laos at the time.
I spread the seeds around Cali etc and I brought the seeds with me to the Netherlands and used them to select clone parents for my unimproved Haze lines I preserved, I did not do much work to improve Haze I was trying to preserve it. The Thai and S Indiana Kerala X O Haze crosses were made by my neighbor, R.L. the junior O Haze grower that made the O Haze poster, as I did not grow much Haze until the next year. So anyway it is now pretty hard to tell but what most have was pure Colombian, green, purple, lime green, silver, magenta, blueish, I saw all this before Haze had anything besides Colombian in it. A little bit has Thai, and even less has S Indian. I will be testing the DNA of my Haze lines and clones, then we will maybe have answers about what they is and isn't, and maybe where all the best Cannabis in Colombia, Jamaica, Mexico came from? India, Africa? Asia? Time will tell.
I have found that my line is fairly inbred as it was not out-crossed except for the Thai and S Indian one year, and that was just a few plants. Most are just pure Original Haze Colombian, with no WLD Wide Leaf Drug (was called Indica) genes, zero. Because it is inbred if you do if you do outcross it the qualities are improved like vigor and potency. I have done this and seen where 16% THC Mom Skunk 1, X a 10% THC O Haze gives progeny in the 20's for THC%, try it, you will see what I mean.
P.S. I found Purple Haze to be the strongest, but the silver-blue and lime-green ones where the high I preferred, purple Haze was more physical also.
Up, clear, electric, speedy, cerebral, mental, energetic, euphoric, psychedelic, no ceiling, every hit gets you higher every time, the kind of Cannabis that gets people turning white, passing out or falling over when they stand, and getting paranoid. Some of you may prefer the same, I can tell. I have never gotten too high, I have gotten to high to walk, that's what chaise lounge sofas, Lazy-Boys and the floor were invented for. I could still smoke.....
If Yo Sammy sends me a dry leaf of his old NH cuttings that is being kept in South Holland I could test it also and maybe see the NL genes in it? PM me.

-SamS
Last edited by Sam_Skunkman; 07-14-2015 at 06:10 AM..

1luvbigherb

Madjag

Veteran
@Hemphrey Bogart
@Hashmasta-Kut

Don't feel no way, mon. This isn't my thread at all, it's everyone's.

I get to post SK#1 photos and you all get to take off from there.
Pure synergy, the way it should be.....

I had my fun out there.
picture.php

mack 10

Veteran
^^ lol great pic,

Now someone needs to reverse what Sam did.
Its gonna take a few years of searching, but should still be in the gene pool?

The main prob is getting enough of the right Skunk seeds to start?

Edit to add, great Haze info.
So mostly all the Haze is just Columbian.
What a turn out.

Last edited:

kashkr0p

@Hemphrey Bogart
@Hashmasta-Kut

Don't feel no way, mon. This isn't my thread at all, it's everyone's.

I get to post SK#1 photos and you all get to take off from there.
Pure synergy, the way it should be.....

I had my fun out there.
View Image

Where the tablets Moses?
Haha

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
I have reversed the original skunk , most are stable and like parent , but you do get a couple wld varieties , I can post a few pics if wanted , and I have few different wld varieties ghani#1 ect , but this may not be right thread for them :).

Here's an old skunk , hydro grown in 2010 ,
picture.php
picture.php

"HEMPEROR"

@HK think he means made S1,s of the skunk cut.

do true old skunks even reverse? i know livers and cheese dont unless crossed, ie cheese x afghani =big buddha.

mack 10

Veteran
What about my f2 idea, do you think I have a chance at getting something pretty damn close if i grow enough out?

Thanks Madjag, I like the way you roll :)
Yeah, you should have a good chance.
Just need to run some numbers to investigate.

Good luck

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
after seeing those pics, i dont wanna see the term donkey dicks used anymore unless its justified...

Latest posts

Latest posts