What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Round Infinity

yocs

the best thing for shipping live animals or even plants for that matter are cryo paks, phase 22 panels. Coupled with an insulated box they will keep the temp at 70 whether outside temps be as low as 32 or high as 95.

Heusinomics

^ What Sea said ^

I too am eager to add some wigglers to my no till efforts.
I was planning to do up an order soon!
But now I'm thinking I may jst drop into a local bait &tackle shop.
Sure there gunna b taxed a bit. But I only need afew dozen.
I jst hope I can find one that has red wigglers over night crawlers.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Avi.
Let us kno if they fix u up right. N keep up the fantastic work!

Big ups respect and happy growing.

goldie76

Sorry to her about the worms and seedlings. I lost a few worms from jim a couple weeks ago, there were a few that survived. Hopefully some of them will perk up. I am supposed receive my Africans tomorrow so we'll see. It has been in the mid teens here, called them and they said it shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't leave them in the mailbox for too long. I'll let you know if they survive. Uggg

Coba

Veteran
that stinks,

I'm not sure if you have the land or if it's even warm enough where you are at to try this Avinash but, you could try to build a local composting worm "trap". the locals, I think should be, attracted to a pile of composting stuff. dig a little depression in the dirt, build a small pile of leaves with some goodies in there and in a few days you might have a few local composting worms in the pile you can harvest. just a thought.

anyways, sorry for your loss.

VortexPower420

Veteran
Uncle Jim's is awfull from what I understand. They should reinburs you.

I guess they are know for weighing beding and the worms there for giving you less. There are other problems to. I will ask my worm groups which is the best to use.

redlaser

Veteran
I've got a couple orders through Jims that arrived in good shape, but it wasn't during the winter. Not sure if they pack for freezing temps. Over about a years time they would be dead or gone though because of uneven moisture it seemed in totes. Once I built a 4x8 area for compost out of cinder blocks with hardware cloth on the bottom the worms showed up for work on their own. The 4x8 area has a piece of Styrofoam insulation and plywood on top. It gets into low twentys, high teens in the winter here.

goldie76

FYI African nightcrawlers showed up, box was cold and they were sluggish but survived in 8 deg temps here, and there were more quantity in this bedrun than the one I received from Jim.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
that's a shame. i've always had good luck with jim's but i haven't tried ordering in the winter before.

is it possible they just are small rather than dead? worms can lose a huge amount of body mass over a 3 day shipping period from moisture loss and lack of foodstuffs.

if not they should invest in a couple pieces of styrofoam to ensure your worms make it safe!

hope it works out for ya miles!

Jims worms are a mix of red and blue. Fine for composting, but it will be tough to sell reds if that was your goal. That is the only dig I have heard through the worm forums

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
No bueno with those poor dead worms. :/ Not to mention that is a gag inducing smell. yuck!

coba's idea with the trap works well when it isn't winter.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i trapped a buncha worms last year, those are the ones currently residing in the bloom area.

uncle jims says they are mailing out a replacement tomorrow, which is nice. hopefully these come in tact....
everything in veg (including clones in cups) got a 2 inch thick topcoat of compost & ewc plus some gypsum, malted barley, kashi, kelp, alfalfa, mycos and watered in with aloe and coconut water.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
checking in...
everything is going smooth, still got some spiders in bloom, none in veg. i'm about to harvest so i'm not gonna spray anythign but water to knock them back, even that i don't want to do even that. they are primarily on a blue moon rocks plant in one corner, probably a warm spot in the room or something, i thought i had them knocked back good enough by around week 4 when i stopped regular spraying, but those bitches hid out and bounced back.

I'm just itching to flip these bigger plants (one per pot) that i've now tied down and out.
checked the seeded plant and was delighted to see that the seeds are mature and plump - dark and well formed.

HatchBrew

Veteran
Them MF'ers lurk and lurk...waiting for ya to think everything going to be alright!! Never back down, never surrender. ahahahaha

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
checking in...
everything is going smooth, still got some spiders in bloom, none in veg. i'm about to harvest so i'm not gonna spray anythign but water to knock them back, even that i don't want to do even that. they are primarily on a blue moon rocks plant in one corner, probably a warm spot in the room or something, i thought i had them knocked back good enough by around week 4 when i stopped regular spraying, but those bitches hid out and bounced back.

I'm just itching to flip these bigger plants (one per pot) that i've now tied down and out.
checked the seeded plant and was delighted to see that the seeds are mature and plump - dark and well formed.

What do you continue to spray into week 4?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
specifically against the mites i was spraying big time exterminator, and before that (up to week 2) i was spraying iso & dishsoap. also did some compost tea & kelp foliar feeds up to like week 3ish, basically before budset

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
have you guys ever heard of PFR-97?
It's a fungus that attacks the cuticle of pest insects and dries them out from the inside out and more spores are released in that process to further effect the population.

I only just started using it for aphids and thrips, so i can't really comment on how well it works. but i did find some dead aphid carcasses with what looked like spores all over them. the company claims it's good for aphids, thrips, mites and others. and that it is safe for beneficials.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
have you guys ever heard of PFR-97?
It's a fungus that attacks the cuticle of pest insects and dries them out from the inside out and more spores are released in that process to further effect the population.

I only just started using it for aphids and thrips, so i can't really comment on how well it works. but i did find some dead aphid carcasses with what looked like spores all over them. the company claims it's good for aphids, thrips, mites and others. and that it is safe for beneficials.

What's the cost on that PFR-97?

Latest posts

Latest posts