What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Rolling mat, loaded up and ready to go
picture.php

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Here are a couple of shot's taken ths afternoon. Unfortunately i didn't take any pictures whilst they were out of the bag: I'll take some at the weekrnd when they next come out.
picture.php

picture.php

The small cob at the top of the picture is about 20g of Malawi X PCK. In total there are five cobs, 3 SMH, 1 Goldern Tiger and the little guy.

Yesterday, i helped some young friends with their harvest of two Panama Haze plants that i had given them at the start of spring. It was their first ever grow and i gave them a bit of helpalong the way. They've asked me to cob some for them, as well as giving me some for a couple of cobs for myself! Happy Daze!

Tangwena

Veteran
Here are a couple of shot's taken ths afternoon. Unfortunately i didn't take any pictures whilst they were out of the bag: I'll take some at the weekrnd when they next come out.
View Image

View Image

The small cob at the top of the picture is about 20g of Malawi X PCK. In total there are five cobs, 3 SMH, 1 Goldern Tiger and the little guy.

Yesterday, i helped some young friends with their harvest of two Panama Haze plants that i had given them at the start of spring. It was their first ever grow and i gave them a bit of helpalong the way. They've asked me to cob some for them, as well as giving me some for a couple of cobs for myself! Happy Daze!
Looking good my friend they are quite dark already so be sure to dry them well at your next inspection.
Note that even when they feel dry on the surface they are still moist in the center. So dont be afraid to dry the outside quite thoroughly.
Sounds like you and your friends will have a nice selection of killer cobs in time for Christmas ha ha.
The cobs should start to get the fermented sweet hashish like smell over the next couple of weeks. Once you get that aroma you can dry them more thoroughly for aging. Go by your nose dont let them ferment for too long a couple of weeks should be more than enough.
Thanks for posting the pics it makes it a lot easier to see where your at. Best of luck my friend.

Hey Brother [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tangwena, you were right. It was too much moist and heat didn't start sweating in first try. I re-sealed them (lost 1 week) and increased incubator heat to 45 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]°C. Next day I saw sweat. Dried them and let them stay in incubator 10 more days with 32 [/FONT]°C (checked cobs with laser).

Picture: After 1 month cure (right side was my mistake, it was dry and not enough heat)

Thank you!

Attachments

• malawi cob results_11.20.2020.jpg
    malawi cob results_11.20.2020.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 45

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Tangwena, Well today i made another 2 cobs up for my young friends, using 50g and 37g of 4 day old Panama Haze. They're now sitting at 40c untill tomorrow morning, when i'll dry them and put them with my cobs at 30c.

I decieded, following what you said, re drying them well at the next inspection, to unseal mine and dry them today as well.

picture.php

The bottom cob in the picture (slightly lighter in colour) is the Goldern Tiger, The other 3 are SMH. I gave them a good dry, about an hour at 35c in the dihydrator.

The Smell!!, Real nice!. Very sweet and deep fruity smell, simalar to a good rich friut cake. Still not quite top quality hash but getting there.

A small piece of one of the SMH fell off whilst i was messing with them, so i decieded to completly dry it and have a couple of spliffs.
Despite the fact that it was still very fresh and not quite done, i could immediately tell the difference. The high was more like when we used to microdose acid and i'd given us a little too much; Hightened colours and a feeling like your just coming up. Very nice. I'm very excited to see what these are like in a few months time.

Thank you again friend, for your input and dedication to spreading the word.

i was in contact with a old friend i the uk last night and i was telling him all about it. Sadly he's not yet a dedicated Sat grower but say's he'll try it with some some Califonian orange ( he tells me it's 'Old Hippy weed'), but is in fact a 50/50 hybrid from the 80's that supposedly leans more towards towadrs Sat in it's smoking. I have been telling him for yrs to stop growing these bland hybrids that flower in 8 weeks but so far without luck, and he's not been out to Spain to visit for some yrs. What do you think he can expect from using a modern, and i my opinion, bland weed?

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena, Well today i made another 2 cobs up for my young friends, using 50g and 37g of 4 day old Panama Haze. They're now sitting at 40c untill tomorrow morning, when i'll dry them and put them with my cobs at 30c.

I decieded, following what you said, re drying them well at the next inspection, to unseal mine and dry them today as well.

View Image

The bottom cob in the picture (slightly lighter in colour) is the Goldern Tiger, The other 3 are SMH. I gave them a good dry, about an hour at 35c in the dihydrator.

The Smell!!, Real nice!. Very sweet and deep fruity smell, simalar to a good rich friut cake. Still not quite top quality hash but getting there.

A small piece of one of the SMH fell off whilst i was messing with them, so i decieded to completly dry it and have a couple of spliffs.
Despite the fact that it was still very fresh and not quite done, i could immediately tell the difference. The high was more like when we used to microdose acid and i'd given us a little too much; Hightened colours and a feeling like your just coming up. Very nice. I'm very excited to see what these are like in a few months time.

Thank you again friend, for your input and dedication to spreading the word.

i was in contact with a old friend i the uk last night and i was telling him all about it. Sadly he's not yet a dedicated Sat grower but say's he'll try it with some some Califonian orange ( he tells me it's 'Old Hippy weed'), but is in fact a 50/50 hybrid from the 80's that supposedly leans more towards towadrs Sat in it's smoking. I have been telling him for yrs to stop growing these bland hybrids that flower in 8 weeks but so far without luck, and he's not been out to Spain to visit for some yrs. What do you think he can expect from using a modern, and i my opinion, bland weed?
Hi my friend those cobs look done to me now just dry and seal to age.

With a little more practice and a little less sweating 12 to 18hrs is plenty on sativas, you will find the smells and tastes as well as the highs all improve.
The fact that you have the sweet fruity cake like smell tells me they are done curing and now need to age but can be used now also.
The strains you have used are 5 star quality highs so you can expect the highs to be enhanced 5 star highs nice job brother.

Regarding your friend I agree with you he should grow real grass not hashish hybrids you only get out what you put in.
Cob curing will make the smoke smoother and alter the high but not make it stronger.
With strong sativas the high is enhanced and changed not stronger but all the good points are amplified and matured, as well as some not present before brought out, its this that makes it feel good IMO.

To me its like matured aged cognac compared to freshly made moon shine they both get you drunk but one is way more refined.

You will find with experimentation you will be able to make your pot incredibly potent and you will get the kind of highs your looking for just by curing it differently. You have the pot, the growing skills add to that curing skills the results can be mind blowing its a whole new field for you to investigate and will lift your pot into the connoisseur grade get ready to enjoy your pot like never before my friend hats off to you for giving it a go brother.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi my friend those cobs look done to me now just dry and seal to age.

With a little more practice and a little less sweating 12 to 18hrs is plenty on sativas, you will find the smells and tastes as well as the highs all improve.
The fact that you have the sweet fruity cake like smell tells me they are done curing and now need to age but can be used now also.
The strains you have used are 5 star quality highs so you can expect the highs to be enhanced 5 star highs nice job brother.

Regarding your friend I agree with you he should grow real grass not hashish hybrids you only get out what you put in.
Cob curing will make the smoke smoother and alter the high but not make it stronger.
With strong sativas the high is enhanced and changed not stronger but all the good points are amplified and matured, as well as some not present before brought out, its this that makes it feel good IMO.

To me its like matured aged cognac compared to freshly made moon shine they both get you drunk but one is way more refined.

You will find with experimentation you will be able to make your pot incredibly potent and you will get the kind of highs your looking for just by curing it differently. You have the pot, the growing skills add to that curing skills the results can be mind blowing its a whole new field for you to investigate and will lift your pot into the connoisseur grade get ready to enjoy your pot like never before my friend hats off to you for giving it a go brother.

Thank you Tangwena, Tomorrow i'll take them out and give them a good dry before sealing them up for longer term storage. Should i dry them in the dihydrator at 35c for ?hrs or is it better just to let them sit in a dry atmostphere for a couple of days?

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Brother [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tangwena, you were right. It was too much moist and heat didn't start sweating in first try. I re-sealed them (lost 1 week) and increased incubator heat to 45 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]°C. Next day I saw sweat. Dried them and let them stay in incubator 10 more days with 32 [/FONT]°C (checked cobs with laser).

Picture: After 1 month cure (right side was my mistake, it was dry and not enough heat)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=552883View Image

Thank you!
They look done now my friend dry them more fully then seal them up to age.
With a little more practice less is more as they say you will be able to bring out more colors and great terps and tastes along with the high.
Have you tried them yet now is the time to start sampling them so you can get an idea of what the varies stages bring to the high.
Like a good chef sampling the sauce as he cooks.
They should still be awesome once dried and aged hats off to you for giving it a go my friend its an art and a skill worth acquiring IMO.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thank you Tangwena, Tomorrow i'll take them out and give them a good dry before sealing them up for longer term storage. Should i dry them in the dihydrator at 35c for ?hrs or is it better just to let them sit in a dry atmostphere for a couple of days?
I use a dehydrator just for speed and convenience but if you have a dry climate like I do in the summer 25% RH on some days then thats probably better being slower you can keep an eye on them better.
The color in the photo's is very good you will get some deep trippy highs from those babies my friend.
Once you have a whole day free try chewing half to three quarters of a gram without smoking anything.
Give it an hour or two to kick in before you judge it though.
Its very euphoric trippy like MDMA and micro dosing acid but lasts 5 to 8 hours.
The 3 to 4 hour mark can get blissfully intense it will be something you have not experienced before but I am sure you will like it.
The GT is in particular a very sweet deep tripped out high that comes on in waves that will make it impossible to handle so just let go ha ha.
I like to have music on just lay on the floor and let the waves roll over you. After about 10 mins of coma like bliss you will feel energized and incredibly high.
This will last until the next wave hits each time you come round you will be another step higher. I usually get 5 or 6 such waves by the time your on the 5th level you will not want it to end my friend its like medicine for the soul enjoy it.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Thank you Tangwena,

This morning i've opened the cobs and they are now drying in the dihydrator at 35c. Two of the cobs have broken slightly, but i guess that not really an issue?

Also this morning i was gifted 50g of now 6 day old Panama Haze for making a cob for myself! I intended to "cook" this one for only 12 hrs and see how we go. The starting material is certainly a lot drier than my first 4 and a fraction drier than the 2 i made yesterday for the young un's.

picture.php

Vacced up and waiting for the dihydrator. The dihydrator has never been used so much in the 5 yrs we've had it!
picture.php

The two cobs i made yesterday for my young friends came out this morning also, after about 19hrs at 40c and had started to sweat. They're now dried and revacced and sitting at 30c where they will remain for the nex 5 days or so. Appologies for forgetting to take any pictures!.

Just waiting for these guy's to dry out.
picture.php

I think that once these guys are really dry, i'll take a little of the stuff that's fallen off and also a little of the GTto sample of the next couple of days; I might eat a little tomorrow!. The rest i'll revacc and store at room temp for as long as i can before reopening; knowing me and weed, that's not likely to be very long. Thankfully at this time of year weed is abundant and my smoknig options are varried.

vinrusso

Thai Stick

Thai Stick

I've always suspected the reason Thai was so trippy on the stick was because of the the way they are bound so tight and wrapped and by the time they hit the streets in California they had fermented. Of course the Thai was good quality to begin with. I remember un-stringing sticks as a youngster and it looking kind of like these cobs.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Tangwena,

The 4 cobs made 2 weeks ago today have been drying now i the dihydrator at 35c for over 4 hrs and are still a little moist on the inside. The cobs are very dense. What would happen if they still have some mosture but are vacced and storred for a month in a cold room?. Is it still wise to periodically open and check for moisture?. Would a continued ferment, albit at a reduced rate, eventually destroy the trichomes?
One more question, for today at least, prior to eating a sample, do i need to have 100 percent dry?.

Many thanks

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
I just found some Swazi cobs I made a couple years ago. :)

(This is 2018)
View Image

Here's the album from back then.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=78647

Wow always nice to stumble across an old stash hey?
How does it taste? What are the effects like now?
I checked out the album pics it seems to have aged quite nicely.

bump so maybe tycho might see this, i also am itching to read how those 2 y.o. swazi bricks smell/ taste and the effects have progressed.

crazy to imagine tangwena even mentions 8 years age/ cure of cobs!!!

like a fine pu-erh, i guess. jar cured modern hybrid buds, mine always turn very mild and mellow after only a year and don't retain much head high. still very pleasant.

can't wait till i can try a true cure cob style tropical sativa! one day...

They look done now my friend dry them more fully then seal them up to age.
With a little more practice less is more as they say you will be able to bring out more colors and great terps and tastes along with the high.
Have you tried them yet now is the time to start sampling them so you can get an idea of what the varies stages bring to the high.
Like a good chef sampling the sauce as he cooks.
They should still be awesome once dried and aged hats off to you for giving it a go my friend its an art and a skill worth acquiring IMO.

I Tested it almost 1 hour ago. Too high for my tolerance :D Don't know how long i am staring here.
Smell in not perfect but way better than jar cure I know my mistakes now..
Note myself: Do this with sativa strains.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena,

The 4 cobs made 2 weeks ago today have been drying now i the dihydrator at 35c for over 4 hrs and are still a little moist on the inside. The cobs are very dense. What would happen if they still have some mosture but are vacced and storred for a month in a cold room?. Is it still wise to periodically open and check for moisture?. Would a continued ferment, albit at a reduced rate, eventually destroy the trichomes?
One more question, for today at least, prior to eating a sample, do i need to have 100 percent dry?.

Many thanks
Hi my friend you have certainly joined the cob club in a big way.
For long term storage a little moisture is not a problem if they are vacuum sealed and cooler storage is a good way to stop any further degradation.
I dont know that the trichomes will be destroyed or not it will certainly change them thats part of the plan though ha ha.
Freshly cured cobs have a stoney type high compared to aged which tend to loose the stone and just get more clearer euphoric.

Depending on which type of high you prefer you can halt the cure at different stages to bring out the effect you like or have both by halting certain cobs at different times thats why sampling during the cure is good.
I have 3 year old cobs vacuum sealed that are still a little moist when I remove them from the bag to use they usually dry of their own accord due to our dry atmosphere and become hard like a piece of soft wood.
Many first time smokers of my cobs dont realize how high they are at first because of the lack of a stony effect and it being so smooth to smoke they over indulge and then by the time they realize somethings up they are way higher than they expect ha ha.

With your new batch you will get to see the different results from drier buds for a shorter sweat . They may even look like they didn't sweat to begin with but as long as perspiration is still in the bag all is good.
Just towel dry the surface moisture and reseal at 36c for a week check weekly.
You will know when they are ready the smell will tell you.
They should be more colorful and terpy and the cure is a bit slower than with moister buds but sooo worth it.
There are heaps of variations to this cure all produce differing results and differing tastes, smells and highs its a pandoras box for a pot lover like yourself the skies the limit.
Its for people like yourself that I started this thread because I knew there were people who loved getting high and loved their pot that this age old African tradition was tailor made for experiment with the parameters of the cure.
When I lived in Africa I saw dozens of differently cob cured bud they all rocked for different reasons enjoy brother.

Tangwena

Veteran
I Tested it almost 1 hour ago. Too high for my tolerance :D Don't know how long i am staring here.
Smell in not perfect but way better than jar cure I know my mistakes now..
Note myself: Do this with sativa strains.
There is no such thing as too high my friend just moderate your intake to get your prefered high.
Let yourself go and enjoy the experience remember less is more sometimes.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena,

Many thanks
No they dont need to be dry the moister cobs have more taste, the older drier have less smell and taste but the high IMO is much clearer and better.
I love both the terpy fruity taste of fresher cobs and the blander taste of older cobs. Tasty cobs are just a bonus its the high I'm after all the time.
The Panama cured for a terpy fruity smell and taste is a trip. I love them cured that way and the Honduras x Panama and Panama x Honduras with a terpy cure is a rare experience my friend, totally immersive in its effects chewed. To quote a fellow cob club member full coverage ha ha.
I'm enjoying some Bob Dylon at the moment going up like a rocket on some 2017 Golden Tiger right now another full coverage strain ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I'm enjoying some Bob Dylon at the moment going up like a rocket on some 2017 Golden Tiger right now another full coverage strain ha ha.

Bob Dylan!, An old hippy type perhaps, like myself.

Tangwena, My dear friend, Wow! What can i say! I'm a total convert!

This morning started in a normal way, ie, spliff first thing, but today i took some SMH cob, which had dried rock hard over night in the warm living room. I won't go into details, but it reminded me of some Zamal i grew 23yrs ago indoors (i had little skill indoors then and it took forever to produce buds that looked like air buds but made out of stick!). Really clear, no body effect and a intial questioning of wether in fact i'm high! Hightened colours. Real nice and perfect for a hardened a weary smoker!. After our usual coffee and 2nd spliff with our nieghbour, i realised that half the joint was still there in the ashtray; usually i'm on number 3 by now and unusually this morning the nieghbour had had a few toots too!

Mrs Mote and the niegbhbour decided to do some baking (nice!) and i decieded to eat a little nugget; not sure of the wieght, but i think just under a gram.

I've had a lovely day, high as fuck, totally focused, clear, giggling to myself (unheard of in 35yrs or more, despite having edibles in the past many many times), pottering in the garden with my flower beds and a pleasant walk with Mrs M. As you say, like discovering canabis again.

I think this first batch would have been improved for being a fraction drier when it first went in and should have never been fermented so long (colours and terps). I'm excited to see what it's like in another month; And subsequent months, even more so.

But, This beauty below
picture.php
this is the Panama haze that was made yesterday after being sealed up at 40c for just over 12hrs!

The smell and clour change are amazing. They say a picture says a thousand words...
picture.php

She's now dried and sitting at 30c with the others that i made the day before her. The difference in the extra day of air drying prior to cobbing is suprising;(although the 5 day air dried did also get a bit longer sweating.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with friends again and tryinyg to convince them to cob next year!. For a several years now i've been encouraging friends to grow sattivas, but now have a double task!.

Thanks Tangwenga man for your, what appears to be daily maning of this thread, but now I'm beginging to understand your mission to educate people as to the African magic ways. I think, had i discoveded this prior to harvest, the whole lot would have gone into cobs!.

I'll update you i due course, but for now, Muchas Gracias Senor.

Edit. Appologies for the bad typing. The n has one on my lap top and i'm too high to care about correcting my typos. Lol!

Last edited:
S

Sertaiz

wow !!!! that cob is beautiful!
the flower as well looks amazing, must be a good hand and good climate, judging from the rolling hills. I have been after that golden cure for 3 or so trys, 6 days dry you say? cheers to you and your new hobby that your already great at. !!!