What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi there
I hope you dont mind, I had same problems as HasHHassin and I think I know what the problem is
I think that he is using a vacuum bag for clothes and not food. Those bags dont make tight vacuum, they leak big time
I have a problem because this is the only kind of vacuum bag available in my area and it sucks, it doesnt make real vacuum. I tried same like him with these bags and it does not work, there is no vacuum and cob come out of the yoghurt maker too dry

Try another method for vacuum. I tried wrapping it very tightly with nylons and cord and it was better, it was the method shared by Carraxe and results were very similar to paraguayan brick
I hope it helps and have a nice weekend

Pd: if anyone is trying space coffee and have taste problems, please cook it with turkish coffee with cardamom, this is the best for masking taste and making it smoother to your palate. I personally never cared for taste when I have such coffee
Thanks for the input my friend always welcome.
Total vacuum is not that important you can make good cob cures without any vacuum at all it just makes mold less likely with no air in the bag.
The main things you need to get right are temp and moisture content.
Looking at the pictures again in close up I think moisture content is probably the problem if the buds are too dry nothing much happens.

Hi my friend please do not apologize your English is fine I wish I could speak another language but I am not clever enough to learn any other so you are better than me ha ha.
You seem to be doing everything right but if you are not getting any sweet fermented smell one of two things maybe both could be the problem.
The two things that stop the sweet fermented smells are low temperatures and being too dry.
I think temperatures are more the problem in this case 40c is the best temp for fermentation to happen.
Are you sure you had 40c? I cant think its too dry after only 24hrs from the plant but it could be that also.
You will not have spoilt the cannabis so don't throw it away it may look unusual but it will still get you high.
Vacuum seal it and keep it at 30c or more for a month it should cure nicely.
Sometimes when the buds are too dry the cure is a lot slower I think this may be your problem. The buds may have been light airy sativa type buds that dry very fast,
Have you got any pictures of the buds on the plant?

I used incubator for steady temp and double checked with Lazer almost every other day. But, not sure if this vacuum bag thick and double layer cob kept inside cooler. I put back cobs in incubator. This time i will check inside temp after 24 hrs.

Test smoked 1 piece: definitely better than control group (jar cure, lover buds)

Thank you for quick respond. Thank you for great knowledge share.

Peace!

Hi there
I hope you dont mind, I had same problems as HasHHassin and I think I know what the problem is
I think that he is using a vacuum bag for clothes and not food. Those bags dont make tight vacuum, they leak big time
I have a problem because this is the only kind of vacuum bag available in my area and it sucks, it doesnt make real vacuum. I tried same like him with these bags and it does not work, there is no vacuum and cob come out of the yoghurt maker too dry

Try another method for vacuum. I tried wrapping it very tightly with nylons and cord and it was better, it was the method shared by Carraxe and results were very similar to paraguayan brick
I hope it helps and have a nice weekend

Pd: if anyone is trying space coffee and have taste problems, please cook it with turkish coffee with cardamom, this is the best for masking taste and making it smoother to your palate. I personally never cared for taste when I have such coffee

Vacuum bags for pillow size (50cmx70cm). I didn't have air tight vacuum problem with them. Checked every day (but you have to locate them near air valve and fix air spots during vacuum process.

I did fermentation 10 yrs with naked vacuum bag with success. Like [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tangwena said, looks like heat is the problem.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you for help brother.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drinking original Turkish Coffee now.. :) Cheers!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Tangwena

Veteran
I am going to show up at your doorstep one day and blow your mind,,,,,we have a lot to talk about.
If that was meant for me bring it on bro and right back at you, but you knew that already ha ha.
I have had to give the Pan/Honduras cob a break it was heading towards heart attack territory ha ha.
There is a lot to see.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I just found some Swazi cobs I made a couple years ago. :)

(This is 2018)
picture.php

Here's the album from back then.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=78647

Tangwena

Veteran
Found it in an antique pencil case in an office cupboard.

Seems to be much darker in color.
Wow always nice to stumble across an old stash hey?
How does it taste? What are the effects like now?
I checked out the album pics it seems to have aged quite nicely.

S

Sertaiz

your swazi bricks!!! looking sweet. straight up vacuum seal, ive been doing that lately. might try a taro leaf and then a banana leaf,, i also have a friend growing a bit of corn so ill have to ask for some husks.

I heard about a lychee preserving tech, where you pick the best lychee with no blemishes and let them dry in their skin, which gets all hard and once well dried and chewy they can be lightly stored in a jar, i do believe. My friend told me his friend gave him a 3 year old one and it was awesome...

Drunken Buddha

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I think that he is using a vacuum bag for clothes and not food. Those bags dont make tight vacuum, they leak big time
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I have a problem because this is the only kind of vacuum bag available in my area and it sucks, it doesnt make real vacuum"[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is a cannabis forum. Clothes' vacuum machines are for f***ing clothes., not weed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why would you even think they are the same?[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You need the right tools for the right job. You wouldn't use a air pressure pump for a water bed to blow up your truck tire, now, would you/
[/FONT]

Drunken Buddha

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"this is the only kind of vacuum bag available in my area and it sucks"[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Have you heard of Amazon or eBay?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

funkyhorse

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I think that he is using a vacuum bag for clothes and not food. Those bags dont make tight vacuum, they leak big time
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I have a problem because this is the only kind of vacuum bag available in my area and it sucks, it doesnt make real vacuum"[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is a cannabis forum. Clothes' vacuum machines are for f***ing clothes., not weed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why would you even think they are the same?[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You need the right tools for the right job. You wouldn't use a air pressure pump for a water bed to blow up your truck tire, now, would you/
[/FONT]

I cant agree more with you

I dont live in the free trade world. I have an allowance of 3 times a year to buy a product abroad and on top of that, I also need to pay hefty taxes for importing with Amazon or Ebay, I give you an example from this link:
https://www.amazon.com/Vesta-Vacuum...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Your price is 17.99u$s
My price is:
$17.99 + $74.39 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to

It is amazing how prices in the third world are much higher than at rich countries for almost every technology product

Have a nice week everybody

Tangwena

Veteran
I cant agree more with you

I dont live in the free trade world. I have an allowance of 3 times a year to buy a product abroad and on top of that, I also need to pay hefty taxes for importing with Amazon or Ebay, I give you an example from this link:
https://www.amazon.com/Vesta-Vacuum...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Your price is 17.99u$s
My price is:
$17.99 + $74.39 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to

It is amazing how prices in the third world are much higher than at rich countries for almost every technology product

Have a nice week everybody
Where abouts are you if you dont mind me asking.
Just a general location if its a sensitive subject.
You can make cobs very successfully without a vacuum bag or machine.
i used to make them without a vacuum for many years.
There is a bit more care needed but it can be done.
Dry the buds to a stage where they will just burn in a joint but will keep needing to be relit if you get my meaning.
Bind the buds up tight in a corn husk or oven paper, banana tree bark or even leaf.
Put the cob in a zip lock bag with as much air squashed out as you can manage. then put the bag in a warm 40c place for 24hrs or until its wet with beads of perspiration inside from the cob sweating.
Take the cob out of the plastic bag

Then dry the cob in the sun without opening the skin but binding it tighter as it will have lost some weight from water loss.
Once the cob is dry then wrap it in insulation tape and leave it for a week or two all this without opening the wrapper.
Just make sure its well dried after the sweat and rebound tighter to make as little space for air inside.

Tangwena

Veteran
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Easy Tiger are you the same peace loving brother I used to know ha ha.

funkyhorse

Where abouts are you if you dont mind me asking.
Just a general location if its a sensitive subject.
You can make cobs very successfully without a vacuum bag or machine.
i used to make them without a vacuum for many years.
There is a bit more care needed but it can be done.
Dry the buds to a stage where they will just burn in a joint but will keep needing to be relit if you get my meaning.
Bind the buds up tight in a corn husk or oven paper, banana tree bark or even leaf.
Put the cob in a zip lock bag with as much air squashed out as you can manage. then put the bag in a warm 40c place for 24hrs or until its wet with beads of perspiration inside from the cob sweating.
Take the cob out of the plastic bag

Then dry the cob in the sun without opening the skin but binding it tighter as it will have lost some weight from water loss.
Once the cob is dry then wrap it in insulation tape and leave it for a week or two all this without opening the wrapper.
Just make sure its well dried after the sweat and rebound tighter to make as little space for air inside.

This season I will use the bamboo method sealing with honey. It is very similar as this described method but less work
I will try it with both almost dry buds like you indicate and fresher to see the differences inside the bamboo fermenting
At this part of the world the fermenting was induced by burying back in the 20th century

Tangwena

Veteran
This season I will use the bamboo method sealing with honey. It is very similar as this described method but less work
I will try it with both almost dry buds like you indicate and fresher to see the differences inside the bamboo fermenting
At this part of the world the fermenting was induced by burying back in the 20th century
That bamboo method sounds awesome the pics I have seen of the buds are beautiful colors proof of a good cure.
If you do please post pics here I would love to see them.
Burying is still used in Africa but its an art I have never been able to fully master.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Tangwena, I've just harvested a Goldern Tiger and a Super Malawi Haze and thought i'd cob some of each.

I dont have access to corn husk, so will use baking paper. I shall use an oz and a half of each and make two cobs. I will use 3 day air dried weed. I sweat them at 40c in loose plastic before vaccuuming. Do i need to dry them after the sweat, or can i just vac them up and then just cure them for 2/3 weeks?

Thanks

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena, I've just harvested a Goldern Tiger and a Super Malawi Haze and thought i'd cob some of each.

I dont have access to corn husk, so will use baking paper. I shall use an oz and a half of each and make two cobs. I will use 3 day air dried weed. I sweat them at 40c in loose plastic before vaccuuming. Do i need to dry them after the sweat, or can i just vac them up and then just cure them for 2/3 weeks?

Thanks
Nice plants and what a harvest.
If it was me I would get a sushi rolling mat or just do it by hand but a sushi mat is a great aid, and roll up as tight as you can big 1 or 2 ounce joints you dont need the paper or the corn husks.
Then vacuum seal the rolled up buds and sweat them in the bag for 12 to 24 hours at 40c.
After that time they should have sweated out a bit of water inside the bags and you will notice they have changed color as well.
Take the squashed roll (the vacuum squashes them) and dry on paper towels to remove as much water as possible then reseal them dont worry if they look all flat and distorted thats fine.
Keep the bags in a warm place around 36c for 4 or 5 days then remove the buds and dry them I use a dehydrator but any dry area will work.
Once they feel dry on the outside when you touch them reseal again for between 3 to 4 weeks in a warm place 30 to 36c is fine.
Open and check weekly drying again if the feel damp or wet but only dry the skin so they feel dry to the touch.
During this time you should start to smell the fermented weed smell.
Its sweet like sweet hashish the strains you have grown will have very distinct smells and should smell exciting to you.
Once you get this sweet smell dry the cobs again more fully then reseal to age for at least another month.
You can check them weekly as before but by now they should smell very sexy and get you salivating to want to try them ha ha.
You can try a taste at any stage that way you can educate yourself as to the best length of time to perform each stage.
All strains are slightly different in the times they need to spend at each stage but your eyes and your nose will be able to pic it just use your senses its quite exciting once you get into it.
Good luck my friend any questions just ask.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Tangwena, Thank you for your speedy reply. That all sounds straight forward; I shall start Saturday.

Both the GT and the SMh are awesome smokes already (i took a little sample of each a week ago and dried them in a dyhydrator). I'm smoking some of that tonight, augmented with scisor hash and i'm very nicely high. As a 45yr+ smoker i need something a little stronger than most and the descriptions of the cob cure have me very excited!.

I'll update with progress reports, alougth i no longer am able to upoad photo's?