What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unofficial Coco Coir Growers Thread

B

bonecarver_OG

no it doesnt :D

the water quality maintaince better if u ad a airstone to the water tank. if u have a recirculating system this is not necesary

Bongojaz

-VT- said:
Nice feedback Bongojaz :wave: What size containers they in? Bags? Pots?
So far no one has any real nightmares with the major nute brands
Coco is more flexible as far as handling various nutes than I thought...
Folks have posted good results with about 5 nute brands....
:wave:
they're in 1 gallon now. i go from about a 24 oz. container to a gallon. i grow in the gallon container for a couple weeks and take cuttings. i put one from each plant into oasis cubes and go to 12/12. the rest go into stasis. after i sex the ones i have in the cubes, i decide which to keep from the ones in stasis. funny you mention bags. i just bought some to use later. never tried them, any good?

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I love the bags...
we need a coco grower's budshot thread
authored by someone other than -VT- lol

Happy Week's End IC coco growers :wave:

Triple J

I agree totally with UVrays.
You guys´ve given me alot of knowledge that´s been so so hard to find!

Right now I´m growing White Satin & Sadhu from Mandala seeds
and Belladonna from Paradise seeds in coco.
I got 2 Homeboxes 120 600W each,
growing in libratrays and feeding with a drippersystem.

I ran into trouble when I didn´t run to waste enough.
Ph went down low, like 4.7-4.8 (wastewater).
I don´t know the EC, gotta get one NOW!
The honeys started to get burnt leaftips, cal/mag lacking &
purple leafsteems..
So I´ve been flushing them thoroughly two times
(Ph 5.9 water,enzymes+vitamins)
and they´re already catching up!!

Its day 10 in bloom, they haven´t stretched much yet
but the prebuds are there!

Once again, mad props to allyall! :canabis:
Peace

Crazy Leaf

:chin: well guys , reading this i feel ive learned alot (thanks) and that i should be watering less frequently , BUT , with my new 400W HPS the coco dries out pretty damn fast , is this ok? like i could just water whenever it needs it

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Definitely irrigate when needed....you don't want it to dry out....keep it moist

G

I just started veggers for the next run.. The tray on the left is Canna coco, the tray to the right is B'cuzz coco. Both are mixed 2 parts coco to 1 part chunky perlite.

I did rinse them with ph'd tap water.. the ppm of the Canna run off raised just a bit, about 200ppm and the ph was the same coming out as going in.

The B'cuzz coco took 3 times as much rinsing to get the ppm down to the level of the Canna runoff but the PH was still raising from 5.8 going in to 6.2 coming out, not bad but not as stable as the Canna. I really don't like the chore of the rinse/prep so I will only be using Canna from now on :joint:

A lot of guys like the Botanicare stuff in the bale.. Anyone know if it requires a lot of flush/prep berfore using?

I was almost out of Floranova nuts so I picked up some Canna stuff this time around. Should be fun.

Last edited:
G

The B'cuzz coco took 3 times as much rinsing to get the ppm down to the level of the Canna runoff but the PH was still raising from 5.8 going in to 6.2 coming out, not bad but not as stable as the Canna. I really don't like the chore of the rinse/prep so I will only be using Canna from now on

This is why I screwed up my first coco crop. The bag clearly says pH buffered and rinsed. Being a noob, I did not rinse it :badday: Lesson learned.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Good stuff as usual fellas

Good stuff as usual fellas

GroNut said:
A lot of guys like the Botanicare stuff in the bale.. Anyone know if it requires a lot of flush/prep berfore using?
It does...and it's laborious as hell...in fact I am switching to B'cuzz...the shit is steamed and is moist out the bag....all that needs to be done is rinse it...>with the bales....you must break 'em up first, and in doing so dust may become an issues...[may need to wear a mask] ....best thing is to soak em in water and enzymes....

I succesfully popped some seeds in recycled coco/perlite....I soaked the used coco/perlite in nutrient and enzymes (heavy on the Cannazyme)....

**If recycling a 50/50 coco/perlite mix....I advise that you use good quality, large perlite (not the cheap shit at Home Depot, etc....)...I like the Fox Farm perlite...has huge chunks and is very sturdy...recycling the cheap shit will get you a soggy mix that is mushy...which screws up drainage

peace

Blatant

Crazy Leaf said:
:chin: well guys , reading this i feel ive learned alot (thanks) and that i should be watering less frequently , BUT , with my new 400W HPS the coco dries out pretty damn fast , is this ok? like i could just water whenever it needs it

Hey man if you think the Evaporation is going too fast, then I would say that you should just Feed with Plain PH'd Water in Between Feedings. The reason I say this is because your plant is sucking up way more Water than it is Nutes, Leaving salts from the Previous feeding. The more you feed it like that will eventually Spike your EC/PPM's leading to Lock Out. I'm guessing its running either Pretty Hot or Very Dry in your Bloom Chamber. The Plain Water Feeding will even things out and keep the EC/PPM's in check.

Blatant :wave:

G

my coco problems are fixed thanks to ya'll, though reading so many different and serious opinions can be puzzling.
Plants love to be watered heavily in coco, and also to be fed heavily.I dont feel like one can really burn his plants using coco and organic food.
much food, much water to get rid of the salts, something like algamic to help the plants go through eventual ph/ec fluctuations without much trouble.

I also noticed than in a 3 gal container filled with coco, roots only use very little space: they go deep but only the center of the medium actually dispenses water/food(top is dry, sides too, bottom is too wet).I'm thinking a two gallons pot would be enough, which lets the grower pack more plants, with bigger yields, as this coco stuff grows very fat buds.

I also agree with blatant...although the bcuzz coco doesn't hold nutrients at all (almost), the most part of the nutrients go down the drain holes.
the bcuzz blocks were initially produced to be used in atamis drip systems, where they are the most efficient (constant food supply): hand watering proves very expensive because it needs so much food.
if you're using bcuzz it's a good idea to give the plant more N than it's supposed to receive.If you're not using the blocks, but the bcuzz 50 liters coco bag, all your problems are solved since it's made to be a replacement for soil and holds nutrients.
Also, whatever brand you choose to buy, buy the whole pack from one brand : for ie , the atami coco , food, and boosters (or GH or whatever):

two reasons for that :

they are mostly all the same: by the past canna was the most interesting brand, now atami is the one that does the most scientific research; once a product is invented, they sell the patent and other brands replicate it.

A line of products is balanced, which means using X's coco with X's food etc will ensure that everything is optimal.Atami's food is meant to compensate for the problems that are inherent to atami's coco, for instance.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
lurker said:
A line of products is balanced, which means using X's coco with X's food etc will ensure that everything is optimal.Atami's food is meant to compensate for the problems that are inherent to atami's coco, for instance.
Great post :wave: I was thinking about this earlier today...and after reading XtraKrtical's thread (linked above), I have decided to stick with Botanicare....cause I just lub Botanicare nutrient :D

Thanks

bongoman

I've just transplanted 4 seedlings into 1 gallon pots of Canna Coco.

I mixed up a 10 litre res using 15ml of A and 15ml of B -- does that sound about right for first feeding for seedlings with 4 nodes?

I'm off to the shop to get some Rhizatonic, Cannazym and a pH meter tomorrow.

Seems I am getting good runoff with about 600ml on their first feed per pot.

Should I aim for 2 feeds a day at this stage? Or just one?

G

bongo: just lift the pot, if it becomes light, give it another bottle of food.
it's very important to let the water drain out completely I think, so water doesn't stay at the bottom.
your food mix sounds good to me...could go with a lil more soon I think. (guessing reg. use of canna is 4ml/l)
ph meter, lots of water and food will do the trick.
the enzymes work well too.

Crazy Leaf

ok guys need help urgently , for the last few days the bottom leaves have problems , theres a sort of yellow/lime tint coming through , some of em have yellowy/brownish patches & are kinda brittle around those patches , edges of some of the leaves are going yellowy/brown , new growth seems to have some bits of leaves missing , ive fed twice , one at around 2 weeks with a few 100ml of water and 1ml of A+B (each) and the third week with a few 100ml's of water and 2ml each of A+B , at first i was thinking nute burn or overwatering , now im kinda thinking nitrogen def. , i cant get pics unfortunatly , any help is appreciated

dont have any pH tester what-so-ever , getting one soon i guess

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts