What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3000W of COBS 8x8 with ethos collective and exotic genetix

Desert Hydro

Veteran
thanks. i cant afford to buy premade units when i can build one with similar specs for a quarter of the cost. i love their lights but i just cant do it.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've got one of the Nextlight units that uses the same Samsung diodes as the quantum boards. I have yet to find a reason to complain. Great light and very little heat.

-Funk

saitama

I hate to say it but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the weird deficiency issue with the COBs. I should have subscribed to your thread because I missed all the action. I must confess that I stopped reading after the first set of plants hermied on you. Definitely pulling up a seat now!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I hate to say it but I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the weird deficiency issue with the COBs. I should have subscribed to your thread because I missed all the action. I must confess that I stopped reading after the first set of plants hermied on you. Definitely pulling up a seat now!

i think most of my issues(hermies included) are most likely from too much intensity. the second i move my lights away further EVERYTHING get really green and pretty again. ive cut out all my additives since they were fucking with my PH balance. that could have screwed me up as well. jacks is inherently stable but when you start adding stuff to it unchecked it was causing problems. i can mix a bunch of jacks and leave it for weeks and it wont change a bit. 5.8 on the dot with my RO water but as soon as i start adding stuff its all over the place.

saitama

i think most of my issues(hermies included) are most likely from too much intensity. the second i move my lights away further EVERYTHING get really green and pretty again. ive cut out all my additives since they were fucking with my PH balance. that could have screwed me up as well. jacks is inherently stable but when you start adding stuff to it unchecked it was causing problems. i can mix a bunch of jacks and leave it for weeks and it wont change a bit. 5.8 on the dot with my RO water but as soon as i start adding stuff its all over the place.

Yeah I'm not sure that this tape I'm using is working. I think I might need to come up with a better solution. I'm maxed out on height as it is.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
the new new

Attachments

• Chemo
    Chemo
    113.7 KB · Views: 17
I like your setup it is clean and bright. I was using COB's for two years and I have decided to move on to Samsung LM5561C diodes. First I got three 90w chilledledgrowlight boards and put them in a 2x4 tent and got great results better than 200w of cobs in a 2x2 tent.

After that I jumped both feet into Samsung LM561C diodes. First I got some flexible 24v Constant Current LM561C strips from Mufuye Technology on Alibaba name Roget with 70 leds/meter and experimented with spectrum 3000k 900cri and 5000k 80cri. love it.

After that, I also designed a two channel LM561C 384 diode board with 50w/channel and 100w per board. I am replacing all my cree cob's with Samsung diodes either in strip or board format. Much less heat issues and no I did not copy a quantum board I designed my own GrowGreen board inspired by chilledled grow lights.
namaste

I just get the boards and build DIY style I use three 90w boards 270w to cover a 2x4 area here is a pic if it is ok. I figured the cost for one board was two cree cobs but better coverage. I had cree cobs mounted on flat heat sinks so I just reused them with these boards with small pc fans for active cooling and an inline 4" exhaust fan with carbon filter. Plus the electric cost goes down per sf cost.

Attachments

• chilled.jpg
    chilled.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yeah, I've yet to take on those leads you shared with me as far as builds(busy) but do you have a new/future idea as far as next one/s? I'm pretty sure I'm ready to drop 3-5 g's on some builds.

If you can afford it, I would look at chilledledgrowlights their kits, you can get the 175w board for $190 and mount on your own heat sink system. I posted a pic of three 90w boards, $90/ea I use in a 2x4 and that is all I am using, and the plants love it from corner to corner. 270w in 8SF that is only 33w/sf and they act like it is 50w/sf saves money on electric bill and heat removal. Oh he also makes commercial grow lights.
namaste

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Growmau5 has done some videos on YT about the quantum boards and the old/new lights from Chilledgrowlights. Both look like very good lights and produce well too.

-Funk

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I just get the boards and build DIY style I use three 90w boards 270w to cover a 2x4 area here is a pic if it is ok. I figured the cost for one board was two cree cobs but better coverage. I had cree cobs mounted on flat heat sinks so I just reused them with these boards with small pc fans for active cooling and an inline 4" exhaust fan with carbon filter. Plus the electric cost goes down per sf cost.

i like those boards. thought about trying a few of their boards to build a 600w light to cover a 4x4 with 5 of those. could put them in a head to head against the qunatums when i get mine. im also designing a vertical light that will cover the entire screen on one of my donuts which is subatantially more sq footage covered in the same floor footprint more or less

Desert Hydro

Veteran
YESTERDAYS SHOTS

Attachments

• IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 15

Desert Hydro

Veteran
thanks. i am on a mission to go collect 8 more patients. i have a two more identical buildings i need to fill up and get going. each one will have 16 4x4's with one to two plants per 4x4.

i think im gonna drop 10k into some DIY quantum boards and go hard :)

Desert Hydro

Veteran
so im still ironing out some issues ive been having but i think im figuring them out. my runoff ph was way out of wack so i started flushing to get it back in line. then i saw someone say to check the runoff ec and when i did it was more than double my original ec lol. even with watering till runoff nightly it was still way too high. gonna start flushing with diluted nutrients and the end of every week and then keep the ph at 5.5 to help counteract the alkalinity of the bulk rockwool.

Attachments

• IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2262.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2263.jpg
    IMG_2263.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2264.jpg
    IMG_2264.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Latest posts