What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So, which God is yours???

White Beard

I’m reasonably sure no one wants me sounding off on all this...but I *DO* want to say I’m *DELIGHTED* with this thread. So many common points between so many who disagree so often; rarely does anything ‘religious’ actually bring different folks together.

Gladys, thank you for kicking this off...my respect! I too am a big fan of Tull, and of “Thick as a Brick”...had the chance to see them in Frankfurt in ‘72, and it was a truly stunning show

Cuddles

There is no god. Therefore I do not worship one. Where´s the point, it´s like talking to a brick wall

'Boogieman'

I was raised to believe that religion was to keep people in check during mid evil times. The thought of going to hell scared most people from doing wrong. I don't have any hate for religious people even though I'm not religious myself.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have learned that you cannot trust people who are very religious, at least not "Christians". The whole idea of "being forgiven" seems to make them think that they have a license to do people wrong, especially heathens, because it will all be washed away.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
it's not as simple as that.
all religions rely on some supra-sanctity to uphold their particular beliefs.
what is common with this, is that none of them are provable...you can't prove a negative...what else is in common? money. they all depend on the gullible providing for the cost of proselytizing.
imho, there is a power over all things which cannot be denied. it just isn't some myth or imagined entity promising eternity.

i prefer to think life is a result of it, but also death. it has that power and intensity that even the pope or ayatollah or Dalai Lama must submit to.

it probably was responsible for rDNA to combine into DNA and even the constituents of the rDNA to combine.

in it's invisible form it also forms a helix. (hint)

God knows i need to take a dump right now...so long:chin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I have learned that you cannot trust people who are very religious, at least not "Christians". The whole idea of "being forgiven" seems to make them think that they have a license to do people wrong, especially heathens, because it will all be washed away.

i understand that. i'm jealous of Catholics, all they have to do is confess & they think they are forgiven. not sure it is that simple. Catholic Church used to SELL forgiveness...:chin:

Cuddles

i understand that. i'm jealous of Catholics, all they have to do is confess & they think they are forgiven. not sure it is that simple. Catholic Church used to SELL forgiveness...:chin:
True, true, but that doesn´t mean that the people they did wrong will forgive them - BIG PROBLEM for a normal person with a concience.
And yes, the church got so big and wealthy by basiclly blackmailing people: First they scared the sh*t out of them by saying how they´re all doomed if they don´t believe in god and if they did they´d have to prove it by doing or not doing certain things. And if they did something wrong it will be all be okay if only they paid up... most sects and similar organizations do pretty much the same.

In many ways the church is one of the oldest business models in the world

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- lets look at some charts, stats and quotes about Abrahamic religions -

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

White Beard

Even run-of-the-mill Protestants are sold on their forgiveness; even the worst of them wears the slogan, “not perfect - just *forgiven*” - like a get-out-of-hell-free card. Add that to the bogus notion of ‘dispensationalism’, and they allow themselves to break every commandment, old *and* new (dispensationalism is the spurious notion that “the new covenant of Jesus” won’t apply until Jesus’ bus finally arrives - and since Jesus ‘suspended the old covenant of Moses...they can lie, steal, murder, fuck - you name it...all without penalty...’cause they’re “forgiven”)

EsterEssence

Veteran
My religion is my mind, I know what Karma is the law of cause and effect. You cannot be forgiven for your Karma you create you will find out how much negative or positive Karma you have created when you enter the bardo of death...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
In many ways the church is one of the oldest business models in the world

i'm sure it is, but prostitution is much older. some cynic might suggest that they operate much the same, making some folks feel better while relieving them of their money...:chin:

Cuddles

i'm sure it is, but prostitution is much older. some cynic might suggest that they operate much the same, making some folks feel better while relieving them of their money...:chin:
lol, but business is always about making money is it not? Otherwise it wouldn´t be a business :)

You´re right about prostitution of course but the church became a big and powerful institution. By comparison pimps only have power of a handful of people.