What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DJ Short Blueberry...very disappointed

G

Gr33nSanta

has anybody ever gotten a blueberry smelling plant that had no DJ short's original blueberry in the mix? like has anyone grown a pure broad-leaved landrace crossed with a narrow-leaved landrace and found a blueberry plant in the progeny, or literally all the blueberry smelly plants have DJ's in the background^?

What are the terpenes responsible for the blueberry smell^? I have found a while ago what were the terpenes responsible for the baked good smells but I cant remember the ones responsible for blueberry at this point either, I would like to know what terpenes stand out with the blueberry smelly varieties?

I am proud of a new plant I found in a variety I have created but it does have Blue City Diesel in the mix which have DJ short's blueberry. I am curious to know if anyone has found the blueberry smell outside of DJ short's work. Thanks.

Dr.King

Veteran
has anybody ever gotten a blueberry smelling plant that had no DJ short's original blueberry in the mix? like has anyone grown a pure broad-leaved landrace crossed with a narrow-leaved landrace and found a blueberry plant in the progeny, or literally all the blueberry smelly plants have DJ's in the background^?

What are the terpenes responsible for the blueberry smell^? I have found a while ago what were the terpenes responsible for the baked good smells but I cant remember the ones responsible for blueberry at this point either, I would like to know what terpenes stand out with the blueberry smelly varieties?

I am proud of a new plant I found in a variety I have created but it does have Blue City Diesel in the mix which have DJ short's blueberry. I am curious to know if anyone has found the blueberry smell outside of DJ short's work. Thanks.

Yes a few breeders have blueberry smell leaning genetics. These genetics are landrace/landrace crosses as well so no Dj in there.

Budsicles, I would recommend contacting Seedsman about your germ/herm problem and ask for another few packs to set things right. True breeders whom are in it for the love of the breeding will always replace seeds if one can prove things went south such as they did on you. I have a feeling that the Blueberry seeds from 04'+ are JD's first release of his own BB which tells why there are so many herms/males. Heard BB seeds from DJ from 90's-00's where magic. Sad only now people are understanding how rare seeds are from a long time ago. Good thing I've been saving for a good while.

These blueberry crosses are indeed interesting too see. JD does a great job posting updates on strains/genetics on instagram. Only time will tell if the talent is truly their.

budsicles

Budsicles, I would recommend contacting Seedsman about your germ/herm problem and ask for another few packs to set things right. True breeders whom are in it for the love of the breeding will always replace seeds if one can prove things went south such as they did on you. I have a feeling that the Blueberry seeds from 04'+ are JD's first release of his own BB which tells why there are so many herms/males.

I might do that. But honestly I don't feel Seedsman is to blame here. Even if the seeds are 2-5 years old and/or poorly stored, that usually just leads to poor germ rates and lack of vigor in my experience....not full blown hermaphrodites and sterility all over the place. Keep in mind the seeds that did pop had plenty of vigor and health during veg. Also, I don't have any real evidence since I didn't take pics of the plants or seedlings.

If they had DJ's "True Blueberry" in stock, I would definitely ask for it.
But I'm not touching DJ's original bb again unless it comes from another breeder/grower.

igrowone

Veteran
condolences on the bad experience OP
i have watched experiences posted on this mythical strain over the years
way too many results like yours
they often say seeds are a crap shoot
but at the prices i see quoted for these, i'd say too much bullshit has been shot

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
I might do that. But honestly I don't feel Seedsman is to blame here. Even if the seeds are 2-5 years old and/or poorly stored, that usually just leads to poor germ rates and lack of vigor in my experience....not full blown hermaphrodites and sterility all over the place. Keep in mind the seeds that did pop had plenty of vigor and health during veg. Also, I don't have any real evidence since I didn't take pics of the plants or seedlings.

If they had DJ's "True Blueberry" in stock, I would definitely ask for it.
But I'm not touching DJ's original bb again unless it comes from another breeder/grower.
Just strange that after you have cracked 150 different strains... You are spending the time to warn all of us from a proven line... With the only proof being a picture of a old pack. Now, you go as far as to say you will only trust the breeders who didn't create the line.
You have no proof of the plants and you claim seedsman sold the seeds, when seedsman has been out of stock from my understanding.
I'm not questioning seedsman. Somthing just doesn't quite add up that's all I'm saying. You say they were hermie, and the males were too...were you keeping the males to breed with? Maybe you kept the males in a area that could cross contaminate the females with pollen? Were you running your flower room negative or positive pressure? What about your male chamber? Were you using merv 13 filters? Were you changing them every 3 months?
Not looking to argue here man. There is just so many variables,This thread just only seems to be started to promote negativity. Next time create a grow thread and then the harsh criticism will have proof and not just feel like just a hate thread :tiphat:

budsicles

Just strange that after you have cracked 150 different strains... You are spending the time to warn all of us from a proven line... With the only proof being a picture of a old pack. Now, you go as far as to say you will only trust the breeders who didn't create the line.
You have no proof of the plants and you claim seedsman sold the seeds, when seedsman has been out of stock from my understanding.
I'm not questioning seedsman. Somthing just doesn't quite add up that's all I'm saying. You say they were hermie, and the males were too...were you keeping the males to breed with? Maybe you kept the males in a area that could cross contaminate the females with pollen? Were you running your flower room negative or positive pressure? What about your male chamber? Were you using merv 13 filters? Were you changing them every 3 months?
Not looking to argue here man. There is just so many variables,This thread just only seems to be started to promote negativity. Next time create a grow thread and then the harsh criticism will have proof and not just feel like just a hate thread :tiphat:

It's pretty obvious you have a dog in this fight...just look at the blueberries in your signature. I didn't come here just to kick shit up. You call this a "proven line". My results as well as MANY others are contrary to that statement. It was proven back in the day, but modern times seem very different. I came here to post some of the worst results I have ever had after growing 100 -150 strains. That was my warning to the readers of this thread. I don't report bad results normally because I know how many different environmental variables there could be to blame. Breeders receive the blame unfairly all the time on this forum due to grower mistakes. I was hoping my descriptions and posting a pic of the pack I purchased would be sufficient. But apparently I am a liar until I provide full documentation of the plants.

So to answer your concerns...

Yes, I trust other breeders of blueberry more than DJ after my experience with his gear. Not a crazy idea...kind of like how most growers don't go to Sam for skunk anymore.

Yes I was keeping the males in a separate area to make seeds.
I trashed 6 of them for sprouting stamen and pistils simultaneously.
I kept 2, which ended up sterile, producing no visible pollen.
Uncontrolled pollination doesn't explain germ/herm/sterility issues.

All of my grow chambers are negative pressure.
I fail to see how improperly filtering the pollen from my male chamber would lead to the issues I experienced with germ/herm/sterility.
My other strains growing right next to the bb did perfectly fine, and never got pollinated, so the fem nanners were also sterile as well as the males.

You are correct that I created this thread with a negative attitude.
That wouldn't have happened if the seeds were $40 instead of $240. And if the breeder/company didn't have such a religious following.
That is why I felt it necessary to warn others of my experience.
I'm not telling others to directly avoid DJ gear...just reporting my personal results with it.
Like I said, I would still try "True Blueberry" from DJ if I could get it. I want the old school BB that bad.

I guess I should have brought more proof/evidence for the Inquisition.

Last edited:

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
It's pretty obvious you have a dog in this fight...just look at the blueberries in your signature. I didn't come here just to kick shit up. You call this a "proven line". My results as well as MANY others are contrary to that statement. It was proven back in the day, but modern times seem very different. I came here to post some of the worst results I have ever had after growing 100 -150 strains. That was my warning to the readers of this thread. I don't report bad results normally because I know how many different environmental variables there could be to blame. Breeders receive the blame unfairly all the time on this forum due to grower mistakes. I was hoping my descriptions and posting a pic of the pack I purchased would be sufficient. But apparently I am a liar until I provide full documentation of the plants.

So to answer your concerns...

Yes, I trust other breeders of blueberry more than DJ after my experience with his gear. Not a crazy idea...kind of like how most growers don't go to Sam for skunk anymore.

Yes I was keeping the males in a separate area to make seeds.
I trashed 6 of them for sprouting stamen and pistils simultaneously.
I kept 2, which ended up sterile, producing no visible pollen.
Uncontrolled pollination doesn't explain germ/herm/sterility issues.

All of my grow chambers are negative pressure.
I fail to see how improperly filtering the pollen from my male chamber would lead to the issues I experienced with germ/herm/sterility.
My other strains growing right next to the bb did perfectly fine.

You are correct that I created this thread with a negative attitude.
That wouldn't have happened if the seeds were $40 instead of $240. And if the breeder/company didn't have such a religious following.
That is why I felt it necessary to warn others of my experience.
I'm not telling others to directly avoid DJ gear...just reporting my personal results with it.

I guess I should have brought more proof/evidence for the Inquisition.

First off, I didn't intend to call you a liar. Just some things that you're saying struck me a little off hand. This is why, after I pointed out to you that the "fresh stock" you got is many years old, you continue to advocate it as trash gear when you've admitted to not seeing the new stock grow. I presented you this information, and you assume it's old stock that has been traded through seed banks in a unsealed pack and you continue with saying that dj short seeds are just hermies and the only people you will trust now are the many companies selling his gear. With details you've explained that sounds like they hermied and wasn't just an unintentional seeded room. I trust seedman, but who knows how many companies they exchanged before making it there.Who knows how many times that old pack has went through xray machines as frosy pointed out, especially if they traded through a bunch of seed vendors. His packs are 80 bucks by the way.... Seedman charged 240$? You are one of the many new ic mag members that have litterly just opened threads like this. With no grow log info, pictures or albums in their profile, claiming his gear is garbage. See where I'm coming from?, there will be thousands of views on this thread and everyone will instantly assume you're talking about the blueberry that is now available... Sorry if I came off rude man, I wouldn't say I have a dog in this fight, I just have seen a lot of fire in his and JDs seeds and don't like the constant negativity threads with faulty evidence displayed. I hope some day you're able to grab some of his new gear to test out, sad to hear about your bad results. No hard feelings dude.
" I don't report bad results normally because I know how many different environmental variables there could be to blame. Breeders receive the blame unfairly all the time on this forum due to grower mistakes." I Agree

Last edited:

Scrappy-doo

Did your plants have balls or just nanners? DJ's blueberry can be sensitive to stress but I think yours is the first report I've seen of every plant herming out.

Lyfespan

that pack dont look like any pack ive gotten, but then again ive only picked seeds up from DJ in person

budsicles

First off, I didn't intend to call you a liar. Just some things that you're saying struck me a little off hand. This is why, after I pointed out to you that the "fresh stock" you got is many years old, you continue to advocate it as trash gear when you've admitted to not seeing the new stock grow. I presented you this information, and you assume it's old stock that has been traded through seed banks in a unsealed pack and you continue with saying that dj short seeds are just hermies and the only people you will trust now are the many companies selling his gear. With details you've explained that sounds like they hermied and wasn't just an unintentional seeded room. I trust seedman, but who knows how many companies they exchanged before making it there.Who knows how many times that old pack has went through xray machines as frosy pointed out, especially if they traded through a bunch of seed vendors. His packs are 80 bucks by the way.... Seedman charged 240$? You are one of the many new ic mag members that have litterly just opened threads like this. With no grow log info, pictures or albums in their profile, claiming his gear is garbage. See where I'm coming from?, there will be thousands of views on this thread and everyone will instantly assume you're talking about the blueberry that is now available... Sorry if I came off rude man, I wouldn't say I have a dog in this fight, I just have seen a lot of fire in his and JDs seeds and don't like the constant negativity threads with faulty evidence displayed. I hope some day you're able to grab some of his new gear to test out, sad to hear about your bad results. No hard feelings dude.
" I don't report bad results normally because I know how many different environmental variables there could be to blame. Breeders receive the blame unfairly all the time on this forum due to grower mistakes." I Agree

Sorry, I can get defensive when people criticize me.
But I never said I thought the packs were "unsealed".
I also never said "DJ Short seeds are just hermies".
I said that two packs from him were mostly hermies.
You say I'm, "one of the many new ic mag members that have literally just opened threads like this."
Funny, I opened my account 4 years before you did. I also don't see any of DJ's blueberry in your albums/gallery. Some tasty looking hybrids though.

The stock might not be that old if he was using the packs until 2015.
I got the packs about a year ago. 1-3 years is not old for me.
You also question my claim that the seeds were in stock at seedsman.
So I dug up an archived page from the wayback machine showing it in stock march 13 last year...

https://web.archive.org/web/20160313213215/http://www.seedsman.com/en/blueberry-10-regular-seeds

You can also see from the above link that the price per pack is around $120.
I got two packs, hence the $240 comment.

Did your plants have balls or just nanners? DJ's blueberry can be sensitive to stress but I think yours is the first report I've seen of every plant herming out.

Just nanners. Which is totally not a problem for me. I'm no nanner nazi, and I knew to expect that considering the history of the genetics. But the rate of very heavy nanner production in females, along with heavy pistil production and sterility in males...well I just thought that was worth mentioning. Also, not every plant hermed, two males didn't...but they were sterile. I say sterile in that I mean I wasn't able to visibly see or collect any pollen from the stamen that opened and fell. It's possible I could have beat the male plants againsts the female plants and got a few seeds going.

Last edited:
I recently planted a pack of Dj's Flo which came in the old pack, can,t remember where I bought them, and only two germinated and one of them died after a few days.
I wasn,t to bothered as I knew there were germ issues because of the age of the seeds.
So I was left with one plant, bit gutted as I was hoping to make F2,s but if it was male I was going to make some hacks and if I was lucky enough to have a female I would finally get to try some Flo so happy days :biggrin:

So the one plant I had left was not as vigorous as your average strain again to be expected but it was healthy enough and the most purple plant I have seen very similar to pictures of Flo i have seen on here, unfortunately it ended up a hermie male pre-flowers all over it but one individual branch covered in female pre-flowers , so no hacks or smoke,first I have seen that and hopefully the last. :cuss:

elanius

Veteran
First I have to say that my experience is not due to grower error. I have grown somewhere between 100-150 strains and don't make amateur mistakes like light leaks, overwatering/feeding, bad temp, etc. My recent seed run of Gorilla Biscuit and Harlesin produced 100% germination from 26 seeds and zero runts.

So I decided to ignore the negative reports and try two packs of recent DJ Short blueberry stock purchased from seedsman.

Out of 20 seeds, only 13 germinated.
Out of the 13, only 5 were females.
Every female hermied by the end of week 3 of flowering.
Most males hermied.
The two males that didn't go herm, ended up sterile.
The stamen contained absolutely zero pollen. Never seen this before.

Seriously one of the worst seedlines I have ever tried.

If what you say is truth and lets say you had original Dj Short Blueberry seeds, from my vast experience growing the genes for years i can tell you what happened...
If every female hermied by the end of week 3 of flowering, sorry to say but you did something very wrong. Its unfortunate that you didnt took the pics. These plants are not easy to grow, you may have grown 150 strains but did you grow pure sativa that need very low N? These plants must be treated in similar way, before you get to know each. I find it funny that someone take the time to create the thread here and drag the name of the breeder through mud but didnt take single pics of those miserable plants. Yes, you can find some negative reports over the icmag, but you know what? Not a single picture to prove it. On the other hand, i have plenty of pics, feel free to look in my albums and see how are the recent Dj Short lines growing and flowering...

I dont like the idea a novice grower comes here and create an opinion based on this "report". What if someone is looking for special genetics and highs and you just sent him away? What you actually did is misinformed the potential customer. I dont have no dogs in this fight, nobody is paying me for standing up in Djs name. The only motivation is my experience and etics. I have still 4 Blueberry plants from recent selection, cannot decide which one to let go. Asked a friend for an opinion and after he was done with those 4 phenos, he only told me that he wouldnt know which one to keep, and suggested to keep all of them to save these genes.

All except 2 males hermied ? This just shows growers error, but i would like to see that. I had 10 males and none hermied, not even single pistil and i didnt treat them very nicely to be honest...

Yes, there are sterile males, i had one.

I have found intersex males in F13 line (Flo line).

So here you go, as you said, I just want to share my opinion about all this and my experience with Djs gear.

elanius

Veteran
For the record, i bought the Blueberry from HD Canada in 2014 and had 8/10 germination from each pack.

I just need a chance to try great varietals without dumping 150-200 on a chance. Only because 150-200 is enough money to stress me out a bit if things arent as advertised.
That being said i still have nightmares of being in high school and having fresh central and south american varietals shipped up with the arabica beans back in the day......breaking up those flowers and chucking the seeds into harwood unions woodline lmao......ah yeah.....the genetics ive tossed in ignorance back then was epic fail led by ignorance.
I covet the shit outa this plant now. Shit ill take anything to pop as long as i have a few ladies to watch mature!

budsicles

If what you say is truth and lets say you had original Dj Short Blueberry seeds, from my vast experience growing the genes for years i can tell you what happened...
If every female hermied by the end of week 3 of flowering, sorry to say but you did something very wrong. Its unfortunate that you didnt took the pics. These plants are not easy to grow, you may have grown 150 strains but did you grow pure sativa that need very low N? These plants must be treated in similar way, before you get to know each. I find it funny that someone take the time to create the thread here and drag the name of the breeder through mud but didnt take single pics of those miserable plants. Yes, you can find some negative reports over the icmag, but you know what? Not a single picture to prove it. On the other hand, i have plenty of pics, feel free to look in my albums and see how are the recent Dj Short lines growing and flowering...

I dont like the idea a novice grower comes here and create an opinion based on this "report". What if someone is looking for special genetics and highs and you just sent him away? What you actually did is misinformed the potential customer. I dont have no dogs in this fight, nobody is paying me for standing up in Djs name. The only motivation is my experience and etics. I have still 4 Blueberry plants from recent selection, cannot decide which one to let go. Asked a friend for an opinion and after he was done with those 4 phenos, he only told me that he wouldnt know which one to keep, and suggested to keep all of them to save these genes.

All except 2 males hermied ? This just shows growers error, but i would like to see that. I had 10 males and none hermied, not even single pistil and i didnt treat them very nicely to be honest...

Yes, there are sterile males, i had one.

I have found intersex males in F13 line (Flo line).

So here you go, as you said, I just want to share my opinion about all this and my experience with Djs gear.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Your pics do look great.
I understood the low nutrient requirements of blueberry, even though it's definitely no "pure sativa".
There was no sign of leaf tip burn. Only healthy green and purple leaves.
There were no light leaks, and numerous other strains did perfectly fine in the same environment at the same time.
Not sure how it's my fault. I just used coco loco and PBP grow/bloom at half the dose of other strains. Extremely fool proof.
Does overfeeding really cause widespread hermies and sterility? First I've heard of it.

Btw, I never document my grows. I also wasn't planning on complaining originally. Thats why I waited some months before deciding to start the thread.

For the record, i bought the Blueberry from HD Canada in 2014 and had 8/10 germination from each pack.

I might give that a try. Your pics are exactly what I'm looking for.
Did your packs look the same as the one I posted at the end of page 1?
Did most phenos have the 'happy' high that everyone talks about?
How about smells?

Last edited:

Morphote

Veteran
Does overfeeding really cause widespread hermies and sterility? First I've heard of it.

Of course. Over feeding = stress, and stress does funny things, especially to sensitive plants like Blueberry. I can't even go 5mL PBP grow per gallon without them clawing, but they love 5mL PBP bloom (soil) + 5mL Maxicrop. Most of my other plants would yellow and die if I gave them that like I give it to BB. It's just such a different beast.

M.

budsicles

Of course. Over feeding = stress, and stress does funny things, especially to sensitive plants like Blueberry. I can't even go 5mL PBP grow per gallon without them clawing, but they love 5mL PBP bloom (soil) + 5mL Maxicrop. Most of my other plants would yellow and die if I gave them that like I give it to BB. It's just such a different beast.

M.

I've stressed the hell out of many plants when I was a new grower 10 years ago. But I never had males going sterile from it. I've never heard of that happening either, until this thread. Even with tons of stress my females would just sprout a few late flower nanners, and males a couple pistils, and that was it. Going hermie seems to be a survival trait that gets induced by stress...but sterility is definitely not a survival trait, it's a genetic malfunction (even if induced by the environment).

I used 7.5 ml pbp grow every other watering during veg and 7.5 ml bloom 2 out of 3 waterings during flower. Had very slight clawing in veg in just a few phenos but no burning, but don't remember the clawing during flower, except this one pheno that seemed to do it even if switched to plain water feedings. If that kind of feeding schedule is really enough to cause sterility and massive hermies in these genetics, and if the genetics are really that sensitive, then novice growers deserve to read this thread as a warning to try easier strains.

Also, I've never experienced anything like this from any blueberry hybrids, or any strains for that matter.
I mean I didn't just have one random sterile male, I had 2 out of 8. That's 25% of my males going sterile. Maybe even more since I didn't let the herm males mature to find out.

Thanks for your response! Now I have some numbers to go by when feeding my next batch. It's practical info like that which will really help anyone reading this thread.

Last edited:

RGZ

I grew cocoa kush n vanillaluna 20 of each and didn't have bad results. Though not the type of bud I was looking for the flavor it's were spot on!

budsicles

I'm starting to lean toward the irradiation theory like a couple of members have mentioned. It's just hard for me to believe that my very mild feeding schedule caused all these extreme problems. If that's really the case, then DJ needs to provide warnings on his packs of bb.

Peak offers the following warning about their blueberry, which is one of the reasons I knew to start with low feeding...

Feed conservatively.
Breeders comment: Flavourful and colourful, classic favourite.
Challenging, not for beginners. Can be very sensitive to over-fertilization. Occasional mutations at seedling stage. This strain does not come with a guarantee for germination. They may need assistance cracking open.
I really like Peak, particularly their honesty in descriptions. Tried sweet skunk and loved it. But after talking to other Peak growers it appears he selectively breeds the pure varieties to be lower odor. That's the only reason I didn't do their bb.

Still, I wanted the original DJ genetics....sigh

Last edited:

budsicles

Looks like I'm not the only one to get multiple sterile males from a single run of the same seed line...

I selected 2 males to test the offspring of from the bb line and both ended up being sterile. Just bad luck I guess cause all the other lines males I selected gave plenty of pollen. Just a heads up, u might get some sterile ones.

Also about Peaks BB....
Anyway, I read recently of someone who had this very problem with BB from Peak Seeds. The males were totally firing blanks.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=300106&page=11

Latest posts

Latest posts