What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I've just pinched the stem I wanted to stop stretching for about 3 or 4 cm of the stem, but I didn't pull or tie it over.

I also had a sativa that was 8" tall that I kept pinching and bending over the stem that only got to 12" tall, but it had a nice horizontal row of buds on the top.

LST should do the trick for you, next time you might not want to veg as long and plant a few more clones. You won't have fat colas but lots of smaller ones and probably a larger yield.

svaldezcdxx

I love this method, read about it a few years ago, but thought nothing of it. Bought some that this guy was sick of caring for in little 12oz styro cups. They just needed to be transplanted. repotted and here is some shots of the fruits of my labor. the close-up is of Sour Bubble bx3 and the full plant shot is of Sweet Queen (one of three known phenos of a Sweet Purple x Killer Queen). This thread is great and can't wait to read/learn more and give some advice from my experience with this wonderful method.

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 18

deviant1

I have a problem, my babies are at 30", And only have 45" total

I have a problem, my babies are at 30", And only have 45" total

Ok they are growing very fast in my hempies, but I have problem. I might not have enough room for them to grow out all the way.

My real question is this: can anyone tell me how much of a stretch to expect from the flip? I'm gonna switch em over tomarrow, but I had a thought of scrogin em, cuz that would give them more room to grow up through the screen. What do you people think I should do? Btw, the strains are Alaskan ice and cheese.

svaldezcdxx

the amount of stretch you can expect is anywhere around a foot, probably more. As far as doing a scrog now, imho they are a bit to big for that. What I suggest would be to bend them. take some string and tie it to the top of the plant. take the other end and find someplace to tie it off down low on the plant itself or another place to anchor it. Plants can take quite a bit of bending. Now don't stress when you see your plant laying over, your main cola will bend back toward the light, making an "S" of sorts. This should give you the room you need. Hope this helps, if not I'll try track down some pics to show you what I mean. 'til then

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
deviant1~IME, my plants stretch about twice to three times the size they are when they go in to the bloom room. Have you looked into supercropping? Or even taking some of the top for clones? svaldezcdxx is dead on about the plant growing back upwards in time. Happy growing!

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
deviant1, hey man, you brought this up 3 days ago and you still haven't stared blooming them, they were 24" then.

Are you growing to make fence posts or bud?

deviant1

Ya your right I did, but I didn't expect for them to grow 6" in 3 days. I was confused on what to do is why I waited. I'm still confused, cuz i don't understand why I can't scrog em at this height? I mean won't they grow into and through the screen during the stretch, then couldn't I jus move the branches where I want the branches? Well its either do that or tie the tops down, which would be better for my timing, jus started bloom today.

F

fully baked

You can always tie down the plants. I did this to a plant 10 days into 12/12 while the stretch was going on. The recover fine and all the tops end up looking back up towards the light.

picture.php

I would go ahead and flip them though.

deviant1

What about scrog, can I still do that? It looks to me like they would work out like this, or is it really too late, and why is it too late? As you can tell o wanna scrog em, but if tie em down is what I should do then so be it. Btw, I put a screen over them and it fills it up almost half way, I thought with a stretch it would fill in, right?

svaldezcdxx

Well, ime, you want a screen to get about 75 percent filled so you can get a field of buds, nice and even canopy, kinda like a field of wheat if you can imagine that. as far as throwing them in scrog now, I don't know, sure it would work, but probably not as well as you would want. By tying them off you would be able to get more light to the lower branches giving you more/better buds...just a thought.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
deviant1....just throw the screen up, tie the branches back and see what happens. Go for it.

deviant1

So is that a yes to keep the screen on place, or taking screen out and tying them down?if I tie them down should I jus tie down the top, or all tops on branches too?

ricard0

Now, i haven't finished anything in a hempy bucket yet, but these 3 cuttings were left for dead after the cloner pump was left unplugged :wallbash:

I put them in coco first which was better than nothing, but they still lagged behind. I then cut the bottoms of the pots off and shoved them in some makeshift hempy's as an experiment. Now they're thriving.

302404d1258433681-nl-5-old-habits-new-toys-newcrop-63.jpg

You can probably tell, but they're the three small girls in the foreground in the clumsy looking containers. They're all 3 MNS BW. One pheno looks really nice finished, the other pheno, not as great. So far they're outpacing my expectations :D I'm a believer

Scrogerman

Veteran
Do the Scrog

Do the Scrog

Hey Deviant,
Yes of course you can still Scrog, Would of been better if you waited to flip to 12/12 as you want the screen about 70-80% full depening on breed before you switch then use the first stretch to fill out the remaining 20 or so % of the screen. The 'AI' will defo stretch out more than the cheese (ime) so maybe you have done the right thing switching now. Yeah use the stretch to fill in as much of the screen as you can, then let them go. Just watch you dont use all the stretch under the screen, you dont want the first stretch to stop and your tops be level with the top of the screen, ive seen this with indica dominant plants and the buds ended up small, but you should be ok with those strains (GH) seeds was it? 'Yeah use that stretch to fill the screen and just let the tops go then, if any tops shoot off out of control, dont worry dude let them go, then in your own time when they are like 12-14" you can pull back down to where you want them and fix to the screen with twisty ties, the key to this is an even canopy at say 12-18" finished height- just dont panick and go with it dude. if there is anything i am explaining to you and you dont quite get it, just let me know and i'll go through it with you ok buddy!
Peace&Respect...................Scrogerman!

P.s i think i left you some info in another post of yours somewhere, i'll keep an eye on this one dude.

flatcurve

you can add your old mix to your outdoor garden just as you would your old soil as it will add to the aeration of your soil.

that much vermiculite and perlite wouldn't work in my garden. I'd go into a long spiel about how I've got my vegetable beds set up, but that probably belongs in the outdoor section ;) Long story short, I practice no-till gardening. Throwing the dirt from a few dozen rootballs on top of the bed every year is no big deal though.

This year we had a horrible spring, and I had nutrient lock out on most of my veggies from the low temps. There was a string of decent weather and I thought I was in the clear to plant. Boy was I wrong. But it wouldn't have mattered. The whole outdoor growing season was shit in my neck of the woods. Only got about half as much produce as I have in years past, and I didn't do anything differently this year. Too many 70 degree days, and 50 degree nights.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I hear ya flatcurve...we had some crazy weather this year too...and are still having it.

G

Graham Purwatt

looking for a new medium

looking for a new medium

hello fellow hempy bucketeers.i've been using straight perlite for 3 years now(not the same perlite lol).i'm thinking of switching to coco or at least getting some ff big & chunky perlite.any suggestions?coco over perlite? chips or loose coco? if coco,should i ammend it with perlite or just use it in the bottom?thanks for any help,graham

also,has anyone found anything better than the lucas formula for hempys and gh?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
nope. I've not. I was doing a side by side with my hempy buckets using GH-3 part v/ guano tea and they gh 3-part plants grew bigger faster. I'm going to try to make my own nutes very soon and will report back.

Latest posts

Latest posts