What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

solarz

Dub...what medium where you using with the guano teas? How was the smoke from the two....were they comparable, or could you tell a noticeable difference b/w the organics and the chem ferts?

solarz

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
solarz-perlite/vermiculite mix for all my babies. during veg the plants being grown with the tea nearly died....they got some brown spots on them and were not doing a thing compared to the plants getting the normal ferts. I went back to the feed for their recovery. The side by side was not completed (or I should say is not completed) as there is still time. I've not flipped any of these plants yet so I can try with the tea again (I'd like to, just scared)
Tea recipe(1 tsp/gal guano (10-2-1) + 1 tsp/gal molasses) made 5 gallons and bubbled for 2 days prior to use. Do you think I could go back to using the tea and continue the experiment?

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Hey dubwise, I think the tea fed plant would do much better in soil than a hydro medium. I know you are trying to do a comparison, but, just sayin'.

After the first scare with the tea, I personally wouldn't be using it again.

:edit: wait a minute, this is the hempy bucket thread, soil wouldn't work in the hempy bucket.

G

Graham Purwatt

yeah,molasses in a hempy is a smelly affair.i used it my last 2 grows and i started developing problems.after flushing with ph'd water and 5ml per gallon of molasses my runoff ppm jacked up from going in at 280 ppm to 850 ppm and it stunk like something going bad.i thought it was good stuff at first but it caused more problems than its worth in hempy buckets.so,any suggestions on a medium that will perform better than perlite?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've certainly not been impressed with the molasses inside with anything I've grown....but outside I used molasses in raised beds for watermelon and brocolli and I had great tasting melons and brocolli. It worked very well at pushing the fire ants away from the plants too. I thought it would do better, but what I'm doing with the mj is working just fine

deviant1

To those who helped me out, I took out the screen(jus for now) and decided to jus tie down the tops instead. I was jus too far into it all to start a scrog, I wanna do it right, so next time will be scrog for sure though. Btw whom ever suggested to tie them down, thanks, that's workin out great so far.

svaldezcdxx

Glad to hear that it is working out for you. If you go scrog your next grow, I'm sure you'll love your results. Have fun and be safe.:joint:

HempiPukets

I've got a newbie question concerning these hempy's if you don't mind:

My runoff water is pH 7 - 8 although I have been feeding with ph 6 for 3 weeks now. I suspect that because I rinsed the perlite and vermiculite with tab water when mixing them in the beginning I am now paying for this mistake. There is some buffering effect going on?

So my question is:
Should I just flush the bucket with pH 6 water until I get pH 6 from the runoff as well? My young seedling is doing ok, but I see some brown spots in the leaves so I think it's a nute defect caused by pH problem?

indicameds

I personally would flush em with RO water or just filtered tap water PH'd to around 5.7-6. also are you using GH 3 part nutes? Ive never had to worry about ph using them, I dont check ppm or ph when I use em as the lable advises and ive never had a problem. Now this is with DWC and not hempy's. I am just starting out with hempy's myself. But so far so good with em by just using GH at the doses on the labels. And my tap water has a high PH, but I run it through a brita filter and then mixe my nutes per gallon and water as normal.

Maybe some one with more hempy experience can chime in as this is my first run with em.
Good luck and hope everything works itself out..

HempiPukets

I personally would flush em with RO water or just filtered tap water PH'd to around 5.7-6. also are you using GH 3 part nutes? Ive never had to worry about ph using them, I dont check ppm or ph when I use em as the lable advises and ive never had a problem.

Thanks for the response.

I am using 3-part GHE Flora nutes according to the instructions. My nute-solution is pH 6 after adding them to tab water and after adding some pH down. Without adding pH down the solutions' pH is 7.24 (measured with a high precision pH tester)

I will flush it with plain water pH downed to 6 until I get pH 6 also from the runoff.

solarz

solarz-perlite/vermiculite mix for all my babies. during veg the plants being grown with the tea nearly died....they got some brown spots on them and were not doing a thing compared to the plants getting the normal ferts. I went back to the feed for their recovery. The side by side was not completed (or I should say is not completed) as there is still time. I've not flipped any of these plants yet so I can try with the tea again (I'd like to, just scared)
Tea recipe(1 tsp/gal guano (10-2-1) + 1 tsp/gal molasses) made 5 gallons and bubbled for 2 days prior to use. Do you think I could go back to using the tea and continue the experiment?

Please read below...

Hey dubwise, I think the tea fed plant would do much better in soil than a hydro medium. I know you are trying to do a comparison, but, just sayin'.

After the first scare with the tea, I personally wouldn't be using it again.

:edit: wait a minute, this is the hempy bucket thread,soil wouldn't work in the hempy bucket.

^^this is incorrect. Hempy Buckets do in fact work with soil...i have and am doing it currently. I've run hempys EVERY which way you can...and soil has been included. So where i do agree that his failure was probably do to the fact that he was using a "hydro medium" to run organic teas; however, you can run soil in hempys.

I feel that a lot of people make growing too complicated...when its really just trial and error. Run it with soil...see how the results are, run it with coco...check results, and so on. Then after all of the trial and error, pick which results you like the best, then dial that into your specific environment/situation.

just my :2cents:

solarz

solarz

Also, i forgot to add...that the molasses is a WONDERFUL amendment to organic gardening IMO. Once again...when you use that, then try to ph it and all that other shit, thats where the problems start to pop up IME. So if you are running nutes where you have to ph them...i'd go with something like Botanicare's Sweet rather than Molasses. But if you are running amended soils/coco or running teas and shit....i'd definitely stick with the molasses. It aids nute uptake, provides cal/mag, and just gives everything that good rich organic smell. :)

solarz

Im not sure if this was already covered in this thread, its a very large thread, But What about charcoal and perlite mix?? i was buying some perlite and the guy tried to hook me up with some charcoal cheap, i said maybe and told him id be back, is the charcoal benefical to MJ??

solace

I keep reading every day.. bit by bit.. but i am having trouble today finding the mixture for 2 week old seedlings...for coco/perlite. I have coco coir, perlite and small vermiculite. I figured the coir/perlite mixture would be superior.

Is the ratio still the same? 1/3 coco 2/3 perlite?
Should i just do 1:3:7 (small verm:coco:perlite)

I'm filling the lower inch of the smaller pots their going into with pure perlite. thanks for any reply ^^

America

I keep reading every day.. bit by bit.. but i am having trouble today finding the mixture for 2 week old seedlings...for coco/perlite. I have coco coir, perlite and small vermiculite. I figured the coir/perlite mixture would be superior.

Is the ratio still the same? 1/3 coco 2/3 perlite?
Should i just do 1:3:7 (small verm:coco:perlite)

I'm filling the lower inch of the smaller pots their going into with pure perlite. thanks for any reply ^^

I transplant my seedlings straight from the germ towel into 50/50 coco/perlite and they love it.

No need to make it complicated, ditch the vermiculite (or grow some shrooms!) and stick with the coco and perlite.

Lucas formula or w/e you use and away they grow!

tinman

gh three part nutes.......

gh three part nutes.......

i am somewhat a new grower,about a year now, and have started two hempy buckets in 3 gal. buckets the way hempy lays it out. however,i have been told that the gh three part nutes im using are to be ph stable. now does that mean it wont change the ph factor of the water after adding nutes? cuz if thats the case it hasnt worked that way for me. im using ro water with a ph of about 6 and when i add the nutes it drops to 4.5-5. at first i wasnt checking ph due to my understanding it was ph stable but i started to get yellow leaves and then brown crispy spots which tells me im def. in manganese or mabe cal. when i checked ph after nutes i saw i was to acidic! had to ph up. has anyone else had this problem with gh three part nutes? i flushed with str8 ro water and then added ph adjusted nutes and it seems ok now. just wanted to know if anyone else has ran into the same thing?

HempiPukets

just wanted to know if anyone else has ran into the same thing?

Well I had the same problem, but otherway around...With GHE Flora (grow, bloom, micro) and tap water I got a pH of 7.24 which is too high so I pH downed to 6 and flushed the 10l bucket a couple of times until I got a runoff of ph 6.

It's not a major pain in the butt muscels to check the pH after mixing the nutes and adjusting as needed, BUT it could have been more clear that it is needed.

Question:
I am confused wheter to give nutes with every time? I mean that should I give nutes solution once per week and then rest of the week give just pH:d water when needed or give nutes solution all the week?

America

i am somewhat a new grower,about a year now, and have started two hempy buckets in 3 gal. buckets the way hempy lays it out. however,i have been told that the gh three part nutes im using are to be ph stable. now does that mean it wont change the ph factor of the water after adding nutes? cuz if thats the case it hasnt worked that way for me. im using ro water with a ph of about 6 and when i add the nutes it drops to 4.5-5. at first i wasnt checking ph due to my understanding it was ph stable but i started to get yellow leaves and then brown crispy spots which tells me im def. in manganese or mabe cal. when i checked ph after nutes i saw i was to acidic! had to ph up. has anyone else had this problem with gh three part nutes? i flushed with str8 ro water and then added ph adjusted nutes and it seems ok now. just wanted to know if anyone else has ran into the same thing?

Do a search for the lucas formula. I've never had to ph down or up that formula with either RO or tap water.

Good luck!

choch

One popular watering style is to feed once at normal strength then when they are ready for water again use ph adjusted ro water for the next two waterings. I'd also wait to water when the pots get light, not because of a schedule.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Thanks for the response.

I am using 3-part GHE Flora nutes according to the instructions. My nute-solution is pH 6 after adding them to tab water and after adding some pH down. Without adding pH down the solutions' pH is 7.24 (measured with a high precision pH tester)

I will flush it with plain water pH downed to 6 until I get pH 6 also from the runoff.

I run the GH 3 part and have got to run at 1/4 stength during veg and 1/2 strength during flower. Same dosages with extra's (Liquid Karma & Sugar Daddy). Works great and every time I've tried to push more nutrients at this strain (Afghani x Chronic) the plants get a little sickly.

Latest posts

Latest posts