What's new

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

Budley Doright

Veteran

Here is the rest of that clone....

The experiment with this 12 inch clone....

was to see if this size was too woody to root well....

It seemed to root no slower than a small clone..... but it was scarified on opposite sides allowing the roots to pop easier....

The secret to doing a large clone???

dont let it wilt....I used my fabulous cloning tool.....the menards bag to keep a high humidity...

whiteberrieS

Unknown
Veteran
could be more beneficial actually w/ one strain in a small space. break one big'un into four, lil veg and pop em in.

BudleyDoRight's the ClonerStoner :laughing:

whiteberrieS

Unknown
Veteran
Thanks for that...He confirms what I saw in some old-timers' grow books when I was a wee lad, they used to 'air-layer' and tie down the rooted part to the ground, one plant with 5-6 root systems grown like vines it was pretty mind blowing stuff for a 13 year old :laughing: have yet to give it a shot but am gonna when the 2x2's not so packed.

whiteberrieS

Unknown
Veteran
I think it was, cover looks familiar. 'Marijuana Botany' 1981 :laughing: Is a great book thanks again brother I gotta get my copy. Any other recommended reads?

picture.php
Blast from the past right there :headbange

Budley Doright

Veteran
14 days ago I started some clones.....exactly 18.....

6 bruce banner 3

6 green crack

3 star tonic

3 sour dubb

Im using the old style cloner... the ice tube cloner (small tubes) not the popsicle mold(larger tubes....

The newer popsicle mold has plastic you can see the roots....This cloner you cant...

So I will simply leave the cuttings in for a couple extra days.....In this case I was confident that I would get 100%

And I did......

What more can you ask for..... this method of cloning simply works....if you get the environment right.....

whiteberrieS

Unknown
Veteran
Pretty vicious for two weeks. :good: You ever tried coco? It's what I use so if I could get away with it that'd eliminate the rooters/perlite/verm. I know I'm sick of buying rooters, always seem to run out when I'm broke.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Pretty vicious for two weeks. :good: You ever tried coco? It's what I use so if I could get away with it that'd eliminate the rooters/perlite/verm. I know I'm sick of buying rooters, always seem to run out when I'm broke.

yeah man, coco will work fine but it has different properties so it behaves differently, meaning you'll have to climb a short learning curve to figure out how to maintain the proper moisture levels, with coco you'd definitely want to use less water which would mean you'd need to be monitoring a bit more closely.

...here's a couple i rooted in coco a while back using 9oz cups of coco rather than the ice tube trays, ...my grobro uses the trays AND coco with great success, ...me i mostly still use the vermiculite, i figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and this cloning method is so brain-dead easy and so rock-solid reliable, why bother changing.

picture.php

picture.php

peace, bozo

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...and because the ice-tube-trays are getting really hard to find i figured i'd share some pics of one i made from a popsicle mold i got on ebay for less than $3.00 and with free shipping, ...they came direct from China which is why they were so cheap and also why it took a bit more than 2 weeks for them to arrive after shipment.

anyway, note that i made a 'ram' out of a 6penny nail and an old drawer knob for pushing the rooted clones out from the bottom rather than pulling them out and stressing the fragile new roots. ...note also that i made 'bottoms' for each of the cells for the 'ram' to push up against and if you look closely you'll see i burned a small hole in the center of each with my soldering iron.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

i have to say also that with these molds being tapered the clones pop out very easilly, ...something else worth noting is that if you don't use an opaque 'reservoir' like my black one then you will probably get some algal growth on the inside of the cloner, ...the black reservoir solves this and also provides a window, if you will, for me to see when the roots emerge, all in all i'm really diggin' my new cloners.
peace, bozo

Budley Doright

Veteran
Hey bozo.... good to see an old friend....yes we go back a ways with this method....

Since I have been scraping opposite sides of the stem I havent lost a clone in like forever...

I do like the new pop molds... I got mine at wallmart for a buck...but for a good cloner...3 bucks is a bargain....

good to see you around again old friend....

whiteberrieS

Unknown
Veteran
yeah man, coco will work fine but it has different properties so it behaves differently, meaning you'll have to climb a short learning curve to figure out how to maintain the proper moisture levels, with coco you'd definitely want to use less water which would mean you'd need to be monitoring a bit more closely.

...here's a couple i rooted in coco a while back using 9oz cups of coco rather than the ice tube trays, ...my grobro uses the trays AND coco with great success, ...me i mostly still use the vermiculite, i figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and this cloning method is so brain-dead easy and so rock-solid reliable, why bother changing.

View Image

View Image

peace, bozo

Nice Bozo :tiphat: thanks for the reply. Guess my need to cut and the lack of rooters around here means I'll be giving it a shot haha. I got a flimsy 2x1 tray insert I'm gonna use a part of (been piecing it out to fit wherever I can in the 2x2 :biggrin:) - it's not see-through but I figure they'll pop out of the holes.

justanotherbozo

Veteran