What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Still scanning around on different prices.... The best I see is the 7 way splitter for 10, and some 16 packs of 2700k 14w LEDs for $42{ 2.75 per shipped} {I know you could get bulk of 50 for cheaper}...

The 7 way splitters are only 9" wide, but if you packed in 98w into that size you could keep canopy more like 12"+ away easily... Moving into quantum board density\power.... Making wiring easier\less complicated, and at the same time moving light further away for more flexibility... Plus more power, and penetration....

With only 6 of the 7 way splitters filled with 14 watters it would be around 588 watts, and around 36.75w per sq foot in a 4'x4'. Not bad for less than $200...

-TheShortTexan-

Still scanning around on different prices.... The best I see is the 7 way splitter for 10, and some 16 packs of 2700k 14w LEDs for $42{ 2.75 per shipped} {I know you could get bulk of 50 for cheaper}...

The 7 way splitters are only 9" wide, but if you packed in 98w into that size you could keep canopy more like 12"+ away easily... Moving into quantum board density\power.... Making wiring easier\less complicated, and at the same time moving light further away for more flexibility... Plus more power, and penetration....

With only 6 of the 7 way splitters filled with 14 watters it would be around 588 watts, and around 36.75w per sq foot in a 4'x4'. Not bad for less than $200...

That's a shit load of watt's for SIL'S. NOT IN A BAD WAY. what kind of heat would you expect from a 500watt SIL setup like that?

That's a shit load of watt's for SIL'S. NOT IN A BAD WAY. what kind of heat would you expect from a 500watt SIL setup like that?

I've got a 500 watt setup but it's in a closet with the closet door open in an open room so I have the ac on to keep the room cool. Temps usually run about 80°F. And I've got my 7 way bulb splitters about 14-18 inches from the canopy.

I've got a 500 watt setup but it's in a closet with the closet door open in an open room so I have the ac on to keep the room cool. Temps usually run about 80°F. And I've got my 7 way bulb splitters about 14-18 inches from the canopy.

This is my setup.

Attachments

• 20180727_162937.jpg
    20180727_162937.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 18

ChrisTheGreek

Really nice set up in cases like this the spitters is the best solution if u work with led or cfl bulbs..I have a closet,not that big, and i have a purple queen almost ready to flip to flower and a northern light auto..I have a fan inside and 2 50watts flood lights one at 4500k and one at 2100k..Closets are a good and cheap solutions if u have a small tent or not growtent at all,i will move purple queen when she jumos to foower alone at the tent..My auto ultimaye must be ready in about 3 weeks so the tent will be free again..

ChrisTheGreek

And as for ventilation yes there are holes at the tent and i should put one for sure..What ventilation do u reccomend for my space?If i put a second fan to blow to the lamps upwards to take the hot air out it would be better?Thanks for all the help guys

Is that fan capable of moving enough air? I'd imagine the humidity would rise with a jungle like that. What's your Gram Per Watt ratio like?

Yes, that fan is a little beast and pushes air like crazy. The humidity has been staying around 70. Probly need to drop it a little bit. This is my 1st run with this setup.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
You actually want to keep it around 80-82... real hot and humid in veg, and up until 2-3rd week of flower. Then start adjusting to heavy feed mid flower, then the 2nd half of flower you want to start going to milder 75 degree with colder nights.... Move the lights away a bit, and lower humidity down.. coool nights, etc. Start to preserve your trichomes, and keep things nice and fresh\low humidity\intensity\feeding.... To move into "autumn" mode.

I would have the high wattage in a open room so heat isnt a issue, but still thinking more in terms of footprint, and 30-40 watts per sq foot... 480-600 watt in a 4'x4' {Indica to Sativa}. I'm so poor I wish I could afford a 4'x4' tent or a 4'x8' tent but.... that money would literally afford me a light setup.... I cant afford cobs\quantum boards, and these are actually far superior anyway... I'm not sure if these SILs have lm561s but... if they do they are 100% superior to quantum boards terrrrrrrible footprint.. The DIY setup on Ledgardener.com is $500 for a 4'x4' which is the best\cheapest DIY setup.... SILS are literally less than half the cost of that.... {Just the cost of the Ballast alone is $120..... $200 on 4x 4' Samsung f series lm561cs.... Plus $180 just for a frame to mount the shit on..... Either one of those costs alone would afford a nearly equal SIL setup....

So excited... Love you guys & girls seriously. You make being poor not suck.

chronosync

automatic shoes
Yes, that fan is a little beast and pushes air like crazy. The humidity has been staying around 70. Probly need to drop it a little bit. This is my 1st run with this setup.

Im in the same boat, pushing 80F and %70

No real spike in humidity with lights out it seems...

Anyone here ever bloom in those conditions? Plenty of air and hope for the best? I really really want to get something going but I fear its a doomed endeavor with no way to lower humidity at the moment.

I'd hate to get halfway through my zamaldelica, or worse! finish them only to find out its ruined and a wasted effort

Im in the same boat, pushing 80F and %70

No real spike in humidity with lights out it seems...

Anyone here ever bloom in those conditions? Plenty of air and hope for the best? I really really want to get something going but I fear its a doomed endeavor with no way to lower humidity at the moment.

I'd hate to get halfway through my zamaldelica, or worse! finish them only to find out its ruined and a wasted effort

Well I guess I'm the guinea pig. 6.5 week of flower today and I checked for mold but haven't seen any yet. Trying to drop the temp in my grow room to lower the humidity. Don't know what else to do for now. I'll keep y'all posted on further progress.

chronosync

automatic shoes
This is my setup.

Nice! your plants look really heathy

I noticed you said youre running ac in the room, whats the temps and humidity in that room like?

Lowering temps alone usually wont lower humidity, rather the opposite. Unless of course you do it with ac, doesnt ac take alot of moisture out while it cools?

If your temps and humidity are better in the room you might try to get some air exchange in and out of that closet to balance it out?

You got any fans inside the space?

I'm trying to grow in a basement and only have access to outside air, hot and humid and we get a rainy fall every year. like the deep south only not as hot wtf

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
SILS & KISS FTW

SILS & KISS FTW

Dr.Young said:
I would have the high wattage in a open room so heat isnt a issue, but still thinking more in terms of footprint, and 30-40 watts per sq foot... 480-600 watt in a 4'x4' {Indica to Sativa}. I'm so poor I wish I could afford a 4'x4' tent or a 4'x8' tent but.... that money would literally afford me a light setup.... I cant afford cobs\quantum boards, and these are actually far superior anyway... I'm not sure if these SILs have lm561s but... if they do they are 100% superior to quantum boards terrrrrrrible footprint.. The DIY setup on Ledgardener.com is $500 for a 4'x4' which is the best\cheapest DIY setup.... SILS are literally less than half the cost of that.... {Just the cost of the Ballast alone is $120..... $200 on 4x 4' Samsung f series lm561cs.... Plus $180 just for a frame to mount the shit on..... Either one of those costs alone would afford a nearly equal SIL setup....

Wouldn't agonize over specific LED chips, quantum boards or the like, been there, done that. Not worth at all worrying about.

If your goal is growing, and doing it efficienty --getting the max out of it while spending the minimum in gear & electricity-- with utmost flexibility (micro spaces, etc) nothing beats plain, whitelight SILs. Period.

You measure your surface, calculate watts for 30-35watts per sq feet, use multipliers (narrow and long grow space), or DIY a hood rig (square space) and you're setup, as long as proper intraction/extraction and ventilation is provided.

If you are close or nail the grow conditions, GPW can be from 1 to 1.6.

Guidelines:

- Between two SILs with same power, the one with higher chip count will be preferred (allows closer canopy distance and provides more homogeneous coverage to build a "ceiling of light")
- Power sweet spots: 10-17W
- Distance from canopy: 6" - 15W
- Mix SILs of different Kelvin temperatures
- While SILs requirements are lower in terms of heat emission, still proper intraction/extraction and ventilation has to be provided for the plants needs.

Is that simple.

No need for fancy, grow "specific" purple, burple or ultrapowerful SILs either. All that has been more than tested...

...aaaand That's the goal of this thread, bring to light unexpensive, "commodity" off-the-shelf SILs ideal for the most efficient growing by testing and reporting, so we all know what to look for at purchasing time.

Just look for the most cheaply available for you of suitable quality.

Wanna be lazy? that's perfectly fine, use multipliers and ready to buy cord extensions, etc.

But usually the cheapest and more worthwhile option is DIY a hood. Plan, plan and plan. Lookout for materials available for you for free. Post your design here if you want to check for safety. Main skill required: common sense. Is way easier than it looks.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I wanna wire up sockets, I'm just lazy.... 35-40 lights over a 4'x4' would be pretty intense, and thats using big 14w... With 10w it would get stupid.... Plus considering socket bases are about a $1 a peice.. spending $9 for a 7-way is actually nearly the same price with less hassle.... Plus like I said... The higher intensity, and chips per sq.ft would allow for higher hanging height flexibility instead of having to create a flat pre-constructed fixture that needs to stay the same 6" away... Which doesn't leave room for different height plants, and indica\sativa mixing the way having a few 7 way splitters would.

I think i'll go with a bunch of 2700ks, and get a 4' t5 UVb light to keep blues, and uv for my Sativa preference.

Nice! your plants look really heathy

I noticed you said youre running ac in the room, whats the temps and humidity in that room like?

Lowering temps alone usually wont lower humidity, rather the opposite. Unless of course you do it with ac, doesnt ac take alot of moisture out while it cools?

If your temps and humidity are better in the room you might try to get some air exchange in and out of that closet to balance it out?

You got any fans inside the space?

I'm trying to grow in a basement and only have access to outside air, hot and humid and we get a rainy fall every year. like the deep south only not as hot wtf
Ok so I switched out my humidity gauge and found out that it was broken and my actual humidity is only 50% but could've been less cuz it's been cooler outside at night so I put another fan in the window and today when I got up it was raining and the fan was bringing in moisture so I shut the window. Maybe I should turn the fan around and suck the air out? My temps are staying around 75-80° when the lights r on. Not sure at night as I don't disturb them.

Latest posts

Latest posts