What's new

Double Thai

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Here is 'Perfect Thai' male
I don't know if he was perfect but I thought he was.
I loved his structure and vigour and his male flowers and stems and stalk were absolutely covered in fuzzy balls like nothing else!
He grew and grew and grew, like bamboo. The picture is after several prunes.
He was easily the healthiest and best-iest male.

paisajedehierba

Surprising genetics for an UK outdoor grow...and good looking plants! How do you manage that they are already flowering? Frequently change indoor - outdoor to give them the needed 12/12 or 11/13 hours light/dark? ... perhaps the right time for a little P-K meal to support the seed development.

Last edited:

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Surprising genetics for an UK outdoor grow...and good looking plants! How do you manage that they are already flowering? Frequently change indoor - outdoor to give them the needed 12/12 or 11/13 hours light/dark? ... perhaps the right time for a little P-K meal to support the seed development.

Thanks, very kind!
I agree that not many try pure Thai in the UK - especially not outdoor/greenhouse... and I can see why!
It is really about refreshing the seeds. They were getting old and ACE don't plan to release more anytime soon. So I decided to refresh my pure Thai resource. If I get good seeds then the project is a success. If I can get the actual flowers to mature then doubly so!
When I saw the quality of the male I had I knew I had to try a few outcrosses too, since I had the pollen anyway, right? I thought panama would tame her well and I found two very interesting ladies to use - one especially good structure and great against moulds and another with a superb aroma of sweet baked vanilla/lemon cheesecake.
The panama seeds are already harvested and in the fridge. I have a few dozen from each lady (and lots of fantastic panama sinsemilla too)
Renewing old seeds is something I am lazy with and I have lost a few great old indian landrace seeds by letting them get too old!
I also have some old Guatemala and Vietnamese seeds I should renew next season..
In the past I only really used pure Thai for making crosses (usually with the males - ThaiCheese being a memorable cross, if only for the name...) so trying to finish this girl will be interesting, for sure.

In order to get her flowering so early I have been putting her in the shed between 7.30pm and 8.30am. It is dark in there and sheltered from wind and rain but it is not heated or ventilated. Usually I stop doing this around 1 week before September as most plants here start around 1st September and i figure that although 24th August is not quite short enough daylight hours to get plants flowering it is no way long enough to make them reveg if they are already flowering and after just a week the days are short enough now anyway... but with tropical strains like Thai and the pure Mangobiche (growing behind her, just out of shot) I will go well into September, just make sure - she is more 11/13 than 12/12, after all.

(The mangobiche is doing really well but again, is about the cross - I hit it with Bangi Haze pollen for Bangobiche seeds!!! Now I want to cross a Mangobiche to my mango smelling zamaldelica but that is for another thread..)

I think that she (thai) is enjoying the gentle organic ways and I don't want to unbalance or upset her so I will hold off P/K at the moment... I am currently leaning on the side of it being a genetic thing. It has been like that a while now without developing any further - I think the seeds will develop just fine...but I am ready with some bat guano if necessary!

It is a shame that no more Double Thai (Thai-ms Two...) seeds are available for the public right now but ACE have so many other great projects anyway with plenty of Thai leaning hybrids available in the catalogue and Luis prefers a different Thai these days, too so at least I have these...

Pure Thai weed is a particular animal you don't get to see too often these days. I can't wait to get these flowers going on! There are probably more potent hybrids available but I guess it is about personal tastes..

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

T

TakenByTheSky

Thanks, very kind!
I agree that not many try pure Thai in the UK - especially not outdoor/greenhouse... and I can see why!
It is really about refreshing the seeds. They were getting old and ACE don't plan to release more anytime soon. So I decided to refresh my pure Thai resource. If I get good seeds then the project is a success. If I can get the actual flowers to mature then doubly so!
When I saw the quality of the male I had I knew I had to try a few outcrosses too, since I had the pollen anyway, right? I thought panama would tame her well and I found two very interesting ladies to use - one especially good structure and great against moulds and another with a superb aroma of sweet baked vanilla/lemon cheesecake.
The panama seeds are already harvested and in the fridge. I have a few dozen from each lady (and lots of fantastic panama sinsemilla too)
Renewing old seeds is something I am lazy with and I have lost a few great old indian landrace seeds by letting them get too old!
I also have some old Guatemala and Vietnamese seeds I should renew next season..
In the past I only really used pure Thai for making crosses (usually with the males - ThaiCheese being a memorable cross, if only for the name...) so trying to finish this girl will be interesting, for sure.

In order to get her flowering so early I have been putting her in the shed between 7.30pm and 8.30am. It is dark in there and sheltered from wind and rain but it is not heated or ventilated. Usually I stop doing this around 1 week before September as most plants here start around 1st September and i figure that although 24th August is not quite short enough daylight hours to get plants flowering it is no way long enough to make them reveg if they are already flowering and after just a week the days are short enough now anyway... but with tropical strains like Thai and the pure Mangobiche (growing behind her, just out of shot) I will go well into September, just make sure - she is more 11/13 than 12/12, after all.

(The mangobiche is doing really well but again, is about the cross - I hit it with Bangi Haze pollen for Bangobiche seeds!!! Now I want to cross a Mangobiche to my mango smelling zamaldelica but that is for another thread..)

I think that she (thai) is enjoying the gentle organic ways and I don't want to unbalance or upset her so I will hold off P/K at the moment... I am currently leaning on the side of it being a genetic thing. It has been like that a while now without developing any further - I think the seeds will develop just fine...but I am ready with some bat guano if necessary!

It is a shame that no more Double Thai (Thai-ms Two...) seeds are available for the public right now but ACE have so many other great projects anyway with plenty of Thai leaning hybrids available in the catalogue and Luis prefers a different Thai these days, too so at least I have these...

Pure Thai weed is a particular animal you don't get to see too often these days. I can't wait to get these flowers going on! There are probably more potent hybrids available but I guess it is about personal tastes..

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

Check out RSC or khalifa genetics for some pure Thai and laos strains.

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Thats awesome dedication nice work!:bigeye:

Thanks Dude! I suppose it is one of those things where you get out what you put in!

Pebble - I am struggling to send you a PM...perhaps I have not yet acquired those privileges.... the answer to your question is of course, yes..

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Check out RSC or khalifa genetics for some pure Thai and laos strains.

Thanks for the heads up - I will have a check sometime.
Of course I don't really need to now that I have refreshed my own stock! Plus, it is that totally Meao Thai leaning father - for me he can't be beaten! (It is the same Meao Thai line Cannabiogen used in Destroyer, I think...)

Happy Growing

Grover Sativa

Veteran
OK, Thai Heads - let's Thai up another thr/... no sorry. Can't do those jokes. Let's move on...

here is the Double Thai (Koh Chang Stylee) She is actually starting the finish now. Albeit very very vvveeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy slowly.

You can see that the quality of the flowers, once you get in there, is really impressive. Fully resinous Thai flowers waiting for a 6 month cure.

6 months to grow, 6 to cure. Labour of Love (or idiocy) but when it is over I will be grinning, shaking, throwing whites and generally having a proper Thai-m of it. Sorry, I said I wouldn't do those jokes. I tell you what, though - they should change the name from Double Thai to Double Time. It would make more sense!

Enjoy the photos more than the awful jokes.

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Yup, I forgot to mention the purple leaf ends developing - see them? very interesting and pretty indeed.
Great plant that has produced hundreds of seeds with a proper stud male (meow), amazing interest for the summer (and spring and early autumn now, too) and a proper sack full of very juicy 100% Thai weed.

All from the remains of a pack of seeds years and years and years old, too. What a gift from above!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Grover Sativa,

Amazing the work you have done this year ;) Despite growing in a greenhouse, it's not easy to achieve such results and perform such breeding in your climate, your light dep approach, proper coordination of the different strains with different flowering times and your gardening skills have done wonders. I'm very curious to learn about the outcome of the seeds you have produced this season.

Regarding our work with Thais, i still consider Double Thai (Koh Chang x Meao Thai) F1 our best pure Thai release ever, those who had the chance to grow that release can be considered very lucky. We have been very successful with the breeding of the new Thai Chiang Mai and i feel she brings all the best Thai traits i like the most in hybrids with much more reasonable flowering times, hence it is the Thai we have been using for latest Thai hybrids.

Life is short and time is against us before more landraces get contaminated with modern genetics in their native places.
What truly motivate us is to explore and spread more landrace genetics not preserved yet, despite it is not commercially viable at all in a market completely focused on Kush strains.

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Hi Grover Sativa,

Amazing the work you have done this year ;) Despite growing in a greenhouse, it's not easy to achieve such results and perform such breeding in your climate, your light dep approach, proper coordination of the different strains with different flowering times and your gardening skills have done wonders. I'm very curious to learn about the outcome of the seeds you have produced this season.

Regarding our work with Thais, i still consider Double Thai (Koh Chang x Meao Thai) F1 our best pure Thai release ever, those who had the chance to grow that release can be considered very lucky. We have been very successful with the breeding of the new Thai Chiang Mai and i feel she brings all the best Thai traits i like the most in hybrids with much more reasonable flowering times, hence it is the Thai we have been using for latest Thai hybrids.

Life is short and time is against us before more landraces get contaminated with modern genetics in their native places.
What truly motivate us is to explore and spread more landrace genetics not preserved yet, despite it is not commercially viable at all in a market completely focused on Kush strains.

Thanks, dubi - that's very kind of you. Looking back now, overall the project was a whole lot of fun and I don't really remember the work, just the joy!

My impression of the plant, as a grower, was that I was actually very impressed indeed by the quality of the calyxs (and flowers overall) - they were fat and round and extremely resinous. The flower to leaf ratio was much better than the Mangobiche, next to her and those lovely fuzzy balls built up into some rather impressive buds and colas. I was proud to show her to my only privileged buddy who is allowed there. He has been to Koh Chang and spent many nights toking - and he agreed that the quality of the smoke was very high.

Aromas were typical Thai. Not loud, a bit subtle but great. Sort of chocolatey, flowery and citric and you really got the fragrance when you moved the plant but less so if you just had a sniff...

She didn't start quick and she was a slow finisher but the middle bit took the most time! If there is one thing you learn as a cannabis grower, it is patience. You need it in spades for this plant.

Regarding the cross - the male really blew me away with his quality. I had to cross him to two different pure Panamas as well as the Thai just to spread his wonderful genetics around a bit...but it will be a pure Thai that I will be growing again from those seeds next summer..

The buds are well dried and curing now. I haven't smoked any yet - they need months more, really. I am really looking forward to March/April, when I can try them. (That is about the time I planted the original seeds - so nearly 1 year from seed to weed..)

With regards to 'refreshing' pure and Landrace seeds that you may have in your collections - it is probably important that there are fresh samples of these kind of seeds around the world, in different growers stashes, rather than just relying on the breeder to keep reproducing them. Just look what happened to Dinafem and HSO. Busted and all their mothers and fathers destroyed. Maybe they have friends with clones with which they can reproduce their strains? Maybe not? It is probably not important with companies like HSO as they don't have anything worth preserving (as in Landraces or important pure strains which may be lost to time...) but if Dubster loses his Double Thai seeds, for example, it would be a shame if that was it, all gone!

As for growing skills, etc - this is our hobby and we all love it. Like everything, the longer you do something for the easier it becomes and the greater the challenges you start to take on. The most joy comes from the most interesting projects. Novice growers should look elsewhere and personally, I wouldn't grow this plant indoors. EVER.

I like hydroponics but again, I wouldn't go that way with a pure Thai. Not impossible but good luck to those who try. You'll need it!

Again, thanks for your kind words, Dubi. I think I have some photos from the finished plant somewhere. I will try to dig them out.

Rembetis

Here are the branches which I pollinated with perfect thai male. See how the colour of the leaves is totally different where the buds are seeded?
I have seen this on other tropical sativas too.

Hey Grover, nice Thais you got there. I am having the light color on my seeded Jamaicans too. Did it go away? I was wondering if it was maybe Sulfur or a Phosphorus deficiency?

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Hey Grover, nice Thais you got there. I am having the light color on my seeded Jamaicans too. Did it go away? I was wondering if it was maybe Sulfur or a Phosphorus deficiency?

It is not deficiency. Don't worry about it at all. The rest of the plant was lush and healthy from start to finish. I have seen it before - I am sure that the seeds are just taking what they need from the surrounding leaves, to get nice and fat and healthy. Maybe you could increase your npk but you risk upsetting the rest of your plant. Given that there seem to be no other ill effect (other than the lighter coloured leaflets) I would just chill and enjoy the fruits of your labours, both fruit and seed.

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Having written the Thai posts yesterday, I thought it seemed churlish not to try a 'pre-cured' joint. Just for the interests of science, you understand..

The buds still have much chlorophyl in them so the smoke is still a little rough - but the joint was smokeable from first to last, though.

Despite being less than cured, the weed already has plenty to offer! The high is a creeper and initially it is a hit of pure energy, a bit like the Zipolite from Oaxaca... I sanded my window frames last night, during some dancing show on TV, apparently. The wife was perplexed and unhappy!

After that died off the euphoria and psychedelic, soaring high hit. Massive red eyes and utter joy. NOW THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. Proper sativa high - uncompromised and pure thai. Very powerful and wonderful and lasted for hours.
It gave me a bit of extra energy for 'after bedtime', too. Didn't hear any complaints about that, though...;)

It seems that the hybrids make things stronger and heavier and quicker but every step away from pure Thai you get, you lose something in order to gain something else... and the pure form is just wonderful. Just like the pure Kalamata and pure Mexicans, etc... each has unique effects to offer. The Kalamata laid-back euphorias that just wash over you, the Mexican positivity, The Jamaican electricity and singing soul and the psychedelic, soaring Thai. Even the pure Pakistani lines for hashish. I am really getting into pure right now. It is a world of discovery.

If you love pure sativa highs or Thai weed in particular and you have the 'orrocks' and the skills and space (and can find some of the seeds) grow Double Thai, for fuck's sake. It is months away from being cured but is still a special thing.

Dubi - I understand why you have used your superb breeding skills to offer wonderful modern Thai hybrids to your supporters and good on you for that. This 'blast from the past' is a true joy for growers like us, though. I thank you for telling me to plant these old seeds (from the back of my fridge) at the start of this year. I'm glad I have some fresh seeds now, to go forwards.
The last time I grew Double Thai was 10 years ago and I only used the males to make The 'Thai Cheese' back then! I forgot how much I loved pure Thai weed, until last night.

Great quality.

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are chilling and on my to do list. :cool:

Attachments

• 2012.JPG
    2012.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 98
  • 2018.JPG
    2018.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 97