What's new

has anyone ever been busted for a sudden electricity increase?

Kayos_

a 400 watt hps is what i would use. anyone ever got busted for a sudden increase in power? Also how much would my elecric bill go up? both 18/6 and 12/12. I know it varies but a general idea would be nice. Thanks

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
400watt

if thats the only light you have

in uk or us you have nothing to worry about

id say if your in england less than a £10 a week

G

A 400 is nothing. They are perfect all round for personal. If your in a very small house or apt. I would recommend the 400, its about 10-15$ (18/6), and 5-10$ (12/12) added on every month give or take depending on the amount your being charged for KWPH. Hell even a 600 wouldn't raise suspicion.... your pretty much covered in most cases (again this all depends on where you live and whole you live around/with), the 1000 watters are the only ones that kind of power.

Last edited:
S

SmokeMan

I totally agree guys . A 400 watter or a 600 is not gonna be much of a increase on your electricity. It does depend too on the rate of the charge for kwph.

my electric bills only increased 15-20 per month. And that is not bad I think!

Really one way you can tell if your using alot of electricity is..... go to the outside of your home and look at your meter and see how fast its spinning. If its speeding extremely fast then the electric guy will notice and might get suspicios or might not. But if its going slow or at regualr speed and nothing unual then you should be fine.I have checked mine multiple times when light is on and it goes slow on mine. and I use a 400 watt hps.

Last edited:

Stealthy

SmokeMan said:
I totally agree guys . A 400 watter or a 600 is not gonna be much of a increase on your electricity. It does depend too on the rate of the charge for kwph.

my electric bills only increased 15-20 per month. And that is not bad I think!

Really one way you can tell if your using alot of electricity is..... go to the outside of your home and look at your meter and see how fast its spinning. If its speeding extremely fast then the electric guy will notice and might get suspicios or might not. But if its going slow or at regualr speed and nothing unual then you should be fine.I have checked mine multiple times when light is on and it goes slow on mine. and I use a 400 watt hps.

That's to scientific for me...LOFL. 400, 600 or even a thousand watter will not throw up any red flags. For all they know, you may have just installed a new window ac or bought a mini fridge for your bedroom.

It's very easy to figure out the cost per month. Say you have a 1000 watt hps going 12 hours a day. There are bout 30 days in a month. That works out to a total of 360 KW hours a month. Now look at your last power bill. It should have your cost per KWH. Just say your paying 10 cents a KWH.
360 kwh X .10 cents a KWH = $36.00 a month to run your 1000 watter.

P.S.
What are those of us that have electronic meters to do...they don't spin :)

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
400 watts is nothing, hell, my computer uses 430 watts of power for just the computer not to mention my two monitors I have hooked up to it

house

Offsetting the added electricity with CFL's around the house, more efficient appliances, turning down the AC etc... works also and saves money! But again I wouldn't worry about a single 600w, let alone a 400w.

badboyg

house said:
Offsetting the added electricity with CFL's around the house, more efficient appliances, turning down the AC etc... works also and saves money! But again I wouldn't worry about a single 600w, let alone a 400w.

HA HA,, you stole my idea,, ya just as he said,, spend the dosh,, when you get your new light also get a butt load of CFL and replace all (most all) your lights you may find you will save as much as you use exstra...

good luck

Inavixious

1000 watts per bedroom is an old statistic which I personally quote from jorge cervantes. From there just use common sense: for a 3 bedroom house w/ 1 person renting it, 3000 watts on 18/6 is probably going to be pretty suspiscious.

You can almost always get away for growing personal - remember that. 2 bedroom house w/ 1 person, 1000-1500 watts of electricity would be the guarenteed safe zone I bet. It's the greedy people who just stack 1000 watters that are in real danger.

Resin

you can have 3 window AC units running, dish washers, frig running in the summer and draw 3000 watts of elec in a 3 bedroom house no problem. Peeps run 4-5K watts constantly without issue. Pay your bill on time and no issues. who runs 3000 watts on 18/6 and how is that more suspiscious than 3000 on 12/12? Inavixious you're advise is way off . read up my friend before spouting out BS.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Ganoderma said:
400 watts is nothing, hell, my computer uses 430 watts of power for just the computer not to mention my two monitors I have hooked up to it

Exactly. Your basic computer probably draws almost that much, mine does! 420 watts (really!).

Your hair dryer can draw 1400 watts.

Just. Pay. Your. Bills.

The hydro companies would rather pocket that money than investigate and lose a customer. They only investigate after prodding or tips or real wacko bills coming in, and they will look for a current leak first as an explanation for the increase. They may change out your meter and/or look beyond that, but they are not in the police biznizz, they are in the money making biznizz.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
We have an electric kiln that draws 50 amps for 12 hours straight, no problemos. That's just one device.

Cobain192

I notice alot of people on here saying you won't get in trouble for a 400 watt. However I have heard of a guy who grew once a year with a 400 watt and the spike in the electricity coupled with the guy's hydro bill was enough to get a warrant for the place. I have also heard 400 WILL show enough heat for IR. Not trying to start any fights..just passing on what ive heard.

G

dont believe everything you hear...400 watts is not shit...my tv uses more my computer uses more...shit my stereo uses more

Cobain192

yeah i guess the guy could be lying but why would you lie about something like that...anyways if i do remember correctly though someone had tipped him off and then they checked the electricity/hydro bill.

Last edited:

BlindDate

Veteran
400 watts!!!!! Are you insane? Dude....Why not just put a sign on your front door saying "I grow dope come in and bust me". That kind of wattage will shut down half the town. The radiated heat given off will make you look like a terrorist with a hundred kilos of plutonium in your bedroom.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I BEG YOU, DON'T DO IT!!!