What's new

Electric bill came!

G

my electric bill went from 40-120. i live in an area were the gas and electric company is private (gov is not involved). is that suspicious? i only added a 600w light and some fans. should i be worried for a 3x bill?

Levitikuz

thats a huge jump for a 600w and some fans...man you must be gettin charged out the ass or something...i wouldnt expect a 600 and some fans to triple your bill....but i wouldnt be worried, $120 isnt much .... but the jump is huge, lol i cant see 1 600 and some fans doing that

Last edited:
G

no mine is like 500...pay your bill on time...the electric company is in the business of selling electricity...hell your rate mite even go lower i know mine has...no sale no smell no tell pay your bills on time and fit in = success and you can drop the paranoia if you are following all of the rules....my cpu and stereo system uses more than 600 watts and they are on 12 hrs a day at least

Last edited:

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
zorkieo......change out ALL of your lightbulbs to 15 or 26 watt cool white compact florescent lights.... run a house/apt full of 100w incandescents and drop em all to 26w cfl and you can see the difference in power savings.... just a thought... if your water heater is electric, turn it down, same with fridge and freezer.... no more dishwaster, use some elbow grease, and shut lights off and such... should help control your increasing power bill a bit....... good luck to ya

G

i found out that my electric company has exponential rates. in other words my KW/H used to be .11 now its .125 because of the increse. i went from 250 KWH to 500 KWH but it was much more becuse of the added increse.

G

energy has been deregulated shop for another provider that will give you locked in rates...peace

G

and if you would like to stop guessing what your bill is for the wattage you use here is the simple equation...multiply how many watts you are using x how many hrs you are using them x how many cents per kwh you pay then divide that by 1000 and you get how much you pay for the hrs using wattage...1000 watts = 1 kwh...peace

G

I think he is charged on sliding scale? Say .10cents/KWH for the 1st 100 KWH, then .20/KWH for the next 100KWH, and so on? PAying more as you use more to discourge use?

MT

G

hence the previous post on energy being deregulated and choosing a company with locked in rates..peace
MTweedman said:
I think he is charged on sliding scale? Say .10cents/KWH for the 1st 100 KWH, then .20/KWH for the next 100KWH, and so on? PAying more as you use more to discourge use?

MT

blAsia

over $300 monthly... trying to reduce that to under $300 during the winter months. The more I use, supposedly, the better the rate. Doesn't make sense, but, that's right.

I know, I got into an argument with my wife how using more would raise the rate... Wrong.

Something like (kw/h)

0 - 500 = .125
500 - 1000 = .12
1000 - ?? = .115

Last edited:
G

dude the winter im pumpin some watts nothing like free airconditionoing....peace.........

G

it is BS, but i like paying higher fee's much more then paying less to a gov controled company! :)

G

you all have some ridiculas rates a 1000 watts cost me about 60 a month to run
wreckMEplease said:
my bill went from 80 to 230 with a 1k light and a turbine fan. Suuucks!!!!

texasluv

My power bill is ~500 a month with:

2- 1K lights on 12/12
2- 600W lights on 12/12
2- 430W T5 units on 24/7
1- 6500 BTU Window AC unit on 12/12
3- 6" EcoPlus inline fans on 12/12

This is while living in an area that has 75+ degree temps year round and the central AC running constantly. I never get a break on using my central air. The power bill is high but paid on time, every time. I know some people not growing that still break $700 on their power bills so I am not too worried.

Unfortunately, around here there is one power company that supplies power, that it. There is a set rate for the first 1000 kwh, then it goes up for anything over. If I got a discount for using more power I'd be running 10KW!

blAsia

firstchoicepower dot com for TX - one plan is listed. They have others such as 100% renewable energy for a very low price also.
shit, I will put that on here also.

Simply Better Price Plan: Protect yourself from rising energy costs by locking in low pricing for a full 12 months. You pay the same low price per kilowatt hour regardless of how high energy prices go. Price Plan Overview: The Simply Better Price Plan is a great low fixed price of 11.1 cents/kWh. $4.95 monthly customer charge $150 cancellation fee Term: 12 months The total price per kWh, including the monthly charge, at 1,000 kWh is 11.6 cents.

Simply Better Earth Saver Plan: Choose 100 percent renewable energy and help protect the environment. This plan is for customers who want to make a difference in the Texas environment while still enjoying the security of price certainty for 12 months. Price Plan Overview: The Simply Better Earth Saver plan is a great low fixed price of 11.4 cents/kWh. $4.95 monthly customer charge $150 cancellation fee Term: 12 months The total price per kWh, including the monthly charge, at 1,000 kWh is 11.9 cents.

Perhaps some TX res., can get a better deal... . This is off the internet, but in the mail, they show a reduced scale for higher consumption rates... I am going to try to contact them about that sometime soon.

Zorkieo:

Make your power consumption look "normal"... Perhaps you could call the power company, have them pull up your account, then tell them that you just bought a 50" Plasma TV that draws over 550 watts and you want them to note your account so you can track how much it costs to run (or something like that). My TV uses over 550 watts.

Peace

running:

465 cfm 16 hrs
1000 cfm 12 hrs
125 cfm 16 hrs
140 cfm ~4 hrs

400 mh 16 hrs
400 mh 6 hrs
400 hps 12 hrs
~125 CFLs 16 hrs

Last edited:

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
I WANNA MOVE NEXT TO BRAINTHOR!!!!!!!!!! $60 FOR A 1K LIGHT!?!?!?! I WOULD SWIM IN BUDS AND HASH COME HARVEST TIME!!!!

PHANTOM

My bill went up by $30 so I dropped the wattage on all my house bulbs and kept them off most of the time (when out or not in the rooms) I also don`t leave anything on standby (TV, stereo, PC, etc etc) now its running at about $20 more than usual.

Its getting colder here so the bill will go up anyway so I`m hoping no one will really notice.

Good luck sorting your usage out.

PEACE.

PHANTOM.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Swapping out those incandescent bulb with low watt CFL's will get rid of that extra 600 watts and fan.