What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phresh Filter starting to smell only after 1 year?

Herborizer

Veteran
I have a phresh filter. With my last round, the external vent had a little smell coming out of it during the last 3-4 weeks before harvest.

All interconnects from my filter all the way out have large-screwed-tight hose clamps, with aluminum tape wrapping all seams. Basically, I know I don't have a leak.

So whats the deal? Do these filters suck? Do I have a defective one? Shouldn't I get more than 1 year out of this thing? It cost me $180. I have the 6x24 Phresh Filter.

Any way to recharge this thing? I would hate to buy new one after only a year. If I have to buy a replacement, would you recommend that I buy CAN FILTER or another Phresh filter?

Thanks for the help! Smelly vent is not stealth!

G

growingcrazy

I run 24" carbonaire filters...change em once a year. No smells no worries. The carbonaire's are around 100 shipped from plantlightinghydroponics.com

C

cheesey

not good at all . glad i use rhyno filters they last a good 2 yr plus . even when growing uk cheese ,chemd , sour d ect ect 110% no smell .

rrog

Veteran
You can't recharge the carbon. I have always built my own from better carbon, and I simply remove the spent carbon and refill the filters. Super cheap, super effective

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blasphemy!!.......Curse the entities which vend such products,with scorn and treachery.Perhaps a new comapany is warranted.Phat sells the same size filter for $100 less,from plantlightinghydroponics.May i bestow ,good tidings and durability ,on your next filter purchase....

RetroGrow

Veteran
You can't recharge the carbon. I have always built my own from better carbon, and I simply remove the spent carbon and refill the filters. Super cheap, super effective
Supposedly, "Phat" filters use the highest grade of carbon.
I've been told that refilling them yourself is not the same as a new factory unit, because the carbon is not compressed enough, so that there will be air pockets, which will become the path of least resistance for the smell to escape.
I've also wondered why companies don't refill their own spent cartridges, ie, recycling the filters if you sent the old one back. So I am wondering how you refill them and how well does it work?
All the companies that make them recommend not trying to refill them yourself.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
if you get a year out of a filter with continuous use, you should more than be able to afford a replacement, I would replace every year just out of safety and overkill, whats $180 for a years worth of peace of mind?

Choc

i got a real issue with Rhino filters... i run a 3300cfm airforce future tech fan only lights on so 12 hours a day and have a 1200 x 315 rhino filter rated to 4000cfm and 10 weeks in i have smell issues.... no high humidity and is the 3rd time it happened... even have the old one from the last grow with an 8"RVK sitting on top circulating the air... spoke to the grow shop who have spoke to rhino and no one can work it out... i did they are full of shit :D i now have a Ozone generator running 24/7 on an outlet with 10m of ducting before is goes out into the atmosphere... no more smell for me now.... carbon filters suck.. literally... :pimp3:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Of course they do. They want you to buy a new one.. I have done some tests with recharging/replacing carbon..

The first test was to see if I could extend the life of the carbon.. After 15 months of use I took the carbon out and washed it in RO/DI water for a good 15 min.. When you do this the carbon starts to crackle and pop making new cracks and crevice's.. I let it dry and replaced it. I got another years use. I did not try to wash it again..

2nd test was a replacement only.. I could not tell any difference in the performance from new...

I have been washing and replacing my carbon for about 5 years now.. Im sure that all of the Commercial growers do not buy new scrubbers every time...Those big units are not cheap..

I've been told that refilling them yourself is not the same as a new factory unit, because the carbon is not compressed enough, so that there will be air pockets, which will become the path of least resistance for the smell to escape.
I've also wondered why companies don't refill their own spent cartridges, ie, recycling the filters if you sent the old one back. So I am wondering how you refill them and how well does it work?

I

icon

^^^ thats what i was going to suggest good call hammerhead drill out the rivets on your phresh filter & replace or wash your carbon then refill & use bolts/washers & nuts to replace your rivets its alot cheaper then buying a new filter.

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran

They use coal carbon, I use coconut carbon, which is 10% more adsorptive. I also use carbon sized for air filtration, not water filtration.

I run an orbital sander to vibrate the outside. I used to tamp as I filled, tapping the side. Stuff is pretty compact and works well.

They're in business to sell new. I leave a port in the bottom of mine that I can fill or empty. I like mine a lot. Never had a problem. I will say that for a larger room I would move toward a fatter filter than what I have built and use now. So the stinky air has to travel through a thicker layer of carbon.

eyes

Veteran
Ive yet to see any filter take care of smell 100 percent. i built a custom box as a secondary filter and am using it as a primary as of now 12 wide x 33 long x 2.75 inches thick.(carbon fill area). filled it with coco carbon from the hydro store. im only in veg as of now so too soon to tell. when i start to flower ill hook up the mountain air 12x20 and the custom box as well. so through the mt air,then the secondary chamber.

I had the same problems with all these knuckleheads and the 2- 3yr claims on the filters. I saw cheffro post a 6 month out of his mt air run continuous and i dont think ill get more than 6 as well with running continuous as well. ill probably add an ozone genny ill make myself in line so carbon,carbon genny- out. none of those ona or cover ups worked for me.

smell is definately the hardest to overcome. like someone stated double your efforts-i say, triple em.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO scrubbers are to keep the smell from exiting the grow rooms.. If you have smells in any other part of the home or where ever that is there's a problem.. The smell in the flower room/veg room will never be scrubbed to where you cant smell something.. My rooms a smell tight. No one can smell anything.. I have had my parents over and believe me they would say something..

RetroGrow

Veteran
Of course they do. They want you to buy a new one.. I have done some tests with recharging/replacing carbon..

The first test was to see if I could extend the life of the carbon.. After 15 months of use I took the carbon out and washed it in RO/DI water for a good 15 min.. When you do this the carbon starts to crackle and pop making new cracks and crevice's.. I let it dry and replaced it. I got another years use. I did not try to wash it again..

2nd test was a replacement only.. I could not tell any difference in the performance from new...

I have been washing and replacing my carbon for about 5 years now.. Im sure that all of the Commercial growers do not buy new scrubbers every time...Those big units are not cheap..

Is your carbon pelletized?
When you say you washed it, how do you do it?
Just submerge or have running water going over it?
And replacing it, do you pack it down hard?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It looks like pencil lead. Its very small. Bulk reef supply its granules specially sized and far more efficient than coconut.. The same amout that comes out goes back in.. A few hard taps as your filling it..

The 15lb bucket

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...-gallons-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

Washing is done in a 5g bucket filled with RO/DI.. Its washed for a good 15min by hand..If the water looks dirty I would wash it again

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Bulk reef supply its granules specially sized and far more efficient than coconut..

Completely incorrect. Sorry.

Coal carbon is 10% less efficient than coconut. The adsorption capacity of a carbon is defined by its Iodine Number. Coconut is 1100. Coal is 1000. Coconut will absorb 10% more, pound for pound.

When filtering air, we want a grain size in the 4x6 or 4x8 range.

When filtering water, we want a grain size 8x20, 20x40 or 8x30.

These are U.S. Standard Mesh Sizes

You would not ideally use carbon sized for liquid filtration when trying to filter air.

Reactivating carbon is when the spent carbon is thermally reactivated . Reactivation occurs a temperatures between 1400-1700°F where ether volatile organics or oxidized off forming CO2 and water. The non volatile organic compounds are carbonized to form char. In the final phase of the process steam is used to reactivate the carbon. Approximately 80-90% by dry weight of the carbon is recovered in this process. The remainder is made up with virgin carbon. Reactivated carbon performs exactly the same in adsorptive capabilities as virgin carbon. Note that simply washing the carbon is not at all reactivating the carbon.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have 2 bulk buckets one is Black Diamond the other is from Bulk reef. . I agree its not reactivating it.. It does extend the life of the carbon in my tests. you can do your own test. Im fine with the results im getting..I have other tests planed to use a acid wash instead of RO/DI..I dont care if one is 10% better then the other.. Im only concerned if the smell is gone. Bulkreef is cheaper then Black Diamond and there is not difference that I can tell with scrubbing the Oder.

Black diamond premium activated carbon eliminates discoloration, odors, and impurities and keeps on doing it long after other carbons quit. Heat-activated bituminous coal-based black diamond granules are specially sized and far more efficient than inferior coconut, wood or peat-based carbons. Premium black diamond works as much as twice as fast as the competition. If you know there claims are incorrect call them and tell them....

You guys can use what ever you want to.. I will continue to wash and reuse...If it did not work I would not say it did.. I dont want any smells to be detected..

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Sorry, but they're bullshitting you. These are well known physical parameters

EDIT: Frankly, they're less than truthful bullshit makes them untrustworthy. I guess they figure a stoner will believe whatever is thrust in front of them.