What's new

Phresh Filter starting to smell only after 1 year?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There not bullshitting me it's what there website says so there bullshitting everyone..Doesn't really matter does it.. like I said if the smell is gone its good to go

rrog

Veteran
Of course it matters. Bad data is bad for everyone. You can fill your filters with whatever you like, but when posting, accuracy is appreciated. Here's another tidbit: Your tests and your nose really don't mean a thing. Given that there is extensive lab testing and documentation, why would anyone speculate?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All of the info I posted is correct. It was posted from another site if you want to argue about it call them.. You preaching to the choir here

rrog

Veteran
Well, that makes you and your posts less than credible, then. You facts are wrong, and I've already given the details as to why. I have no interest in calling some company to tell them their marketing plugs are nonfactual.

You need to take better care when representing cheap marketing hype as factual lab data.

This is the distinct risk of the internet. People don't verify and it's easy for a supplier to lie

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont see any lab data from you. There not my facts there from Black Diamond I guess you just dont understand that..This is going no where I will just agree to disagree and move on.. You have a great day..

rrog

Veteran
http://www.carbochem.com/activatedcarbon101.html

Note the iodine rating for coal vs. coconut. This is a piece of physical data that you can find elsewhere on the net if you look. Coconut = 1100. Coal is 1000. Pretty simple data.

Also, you don't use carbon sized to filter water. I'm really sorry. You use carbon specifically sized for vapor adsorption.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You dont need to be sorry .You use what you want and I will use what I want..Ok done move on

rrog

Veteran
You're pretty quick to sweep this under the rug. I couldn't care less what you use. The point is OTHERS may think you have a good idea with all the facts and follow what you do.

It's always good to have the hard data, then if someone wants to buy what you buy, do as you do, at least they're informed first.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your making this into something bigger then it is.. If you want to argue i'm not biting..If you want to continue your more them welcome to do so.I will just add you to ignor.

If anyone wants more info on what test I have done and plan to do you can PM me...

fukndenny

We will see how this phresh filter lasts for me... 6x16 or whatever

I keep getting smells every once in a while ... before this i had can 33 and no odor issues, this one seems to be less effective than can 33..

maybe it's just mine.

rrog

Veteran
denny, does it seem compacted on the top of the filter? That's where you'll see settling

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
in all the bigger grows i've been involved in or worked at, buying new scrubbers every 3 or maximum 4 runs was just considered the standard operating costs, just like power, ferts etc.

we never recharged the old scrubbers, just disconnected them and brought them to the dump with the next trash load. as far as i've always understood it, it involves more labor then it's worth recharging those scrubbers, but worse they are not as efficient if you just hand fill them. they do some kind of vibration while they fill the carbon which lets it settle together perfectly.

i do know that these scrubbers leave no smell left over at all if they are sized right for the job and the air is not traveling through it too fast. you can stick your head right in front of my exhaust tube, i disconnected it and did this recently and although i have batch of cheese s1 and souramnesia in end flower stanking up the grow space, the air from the tube is totally neutral in smell and that's after being on the 5th run. over time i have realized that even 6 runs are ok, but the bigger the room and the faster the ventilation is running the harder it is for the scrubber, so in bigger set ups it really is best to replace or recharge more regularly.

rrog

Veteran
... but worse they are not as efficient if you just hand fill them. they do some kind of vibration while they fill the carbon which lets it settle together perfectly.

I hold an orbital sander on the frame and things settle quite well. I used to just tamp and tap and that always seemed good also. Is it as good as sitting on a vibration table? Phat filter would say no, and maybe they're right. I have no data.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 33 and 99 are not hard to refill. The cost of 30lbs of carbon is cheaper then buying new one's. I have not had any issues with them not working..I would have bought new ones if recharging did not work..

Herborizer

Veteran
if you get a year out of a filter with continuous use, you should more than be able to afford a replacement, I would replace every year just out of safety and overkill, whats $180 for a years worth of peace of mind?

Yes, piece of mind is worth it.

Though the cost isn't affordable when you don't sell and haven't ever sold. I don't trade for parts, labor, or anything. No donations, nothing. Completely private and medical.

I do have a variable speed controller. I am thinking I will try slowing down the exhaust in the last 3-4 weeks of my next grow. Though, air circulation has always seemed like a good thing.

gardenbug

If your fan is in the room you need to seal it as well. The seams and where the electrical goes in are not air tight on most fans.

I have the same size phresh and after a month of use and in mid flower it lets a little bit of smell out. I have a mountain air going for like 3 years now with no smell. I bought another mountain air and it let a lot of smell through, so I went with the phresh instead. Maybe mountain air changed something or maybe I got a bad filter. The phresh is definitely lighter and easier to install than a lot of other filters.

rrog

Veteran
Looking at the Phresh filter vids. They use 4x8 screen mesh. Optimal for vapor filtration. That's a big plus. They use coal carbon, with an unusually high iodine# (1050). Coal is usually 1000. Might be an unusual coal. Coconut is 1100

Given the thin layer of carbon, I can see why packing is so critical with these. I think they look pretty top shelf.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
so the scrubbers i get are totally sealed, do you drill out the nuts? or cut the lid off? what about closing it, hows it done without welding gear lol?

i'd have to agree though, if your refills are working just as efficiently as new, you might as well keep on refilling.

Latest posts

Latest posts