Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all, a quick question on the best way to recharge my soil for next year's grow. I used LC's Soiless Mix #2 along with recipe #1 to make my soil for this year's grow. This was my second grow outside but first in the ground and the first using this soil mix. This mixture gave me triple the harvest I had in my shitty, rookie attempt last year.

How do I go about adding the proper pieces back into the soil to get another solid grow next year? My initial thought is to add back in more blood meal, bone meal, worm castings, etc to let it sit over the winter. I also have access to chicken and sheep shit as well as a frozen catfish.

I have 8 holes in the ground that i filled with my initial batch of soil and I grew in a greenhouse the past two seasons. People have suggested that I put a piece of the catfish and some of the chicken shit into the holes over the winter. Can someone guide me through all of these suggestions? All of them sound good in moderation but I'm afraid of making a super hot soil that will get my plants instead of helping them flourish.

Thanks!!

Comment

Then don't put your plants in those holes as baby's. Make sure they needed fertilizers already and are used to it.
      Once they got a certain size they should be able to handle your soil.
      Remember what the dormouse said...
      "Feed your head.."

Comment

Bury the catfish ......can pests be avoided from digging them up? If so just bury and entire fish in each hole in fall......that's what we do up here in new England
        I eat legos

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I definitely will not put babies in the ground. They will be clones that mature for a bit inside before moving outside.

As I only have one fish available, should I cut it up and throw some in each hole and then add additional amendments? If need be, I'll just go but some full fish and throw them in the holes instead. Keeping any digging pests away should be easy enough.

Comment

Yeah, you'll need more fish then.

And if they're clones they should already be used to some fertilizer. Maybe not quite the full load,but more than a seedling of the same size
            Remember what the dormouse said...
            "Feed your head.."

Comment

Hi everyone, some great advice there.
              Droid Dude, one way l like to prepare my fish frames and heads, to make them go further, is to put them in a bucket/rubbish bin of water and let them decompose; the liquid is ready when it stops smelling and this is watered down before use. You can also add weeds to the brew if you want to.
              Another way to prepare raw fish frames, to plant available, is to add, pound for pound, fish to brown sugar and leave it in a container until ready. This is a Korean Natural Farming technique (KNF) and from memory, the highest form of, natural, plant available nitrogen.
              A couple more ideas to consider.
              Cheers,

Comment

My gawd dude...well played
                I eat legos

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshineinabag View Post
                  Bury the catfish ......can pests be avoided from digging them up? If so just bury and entire fish in each hole in fall......that's what we do up here in new England
                  a friend here used to toss a bluegill in his holes.

Here is another source of organic soil and worm castings I found, when I was buying more pond chemicals. Friendly people, helpful. They say they can also get the worms, which I may try in the spring with my veggie garden.

Sorry if this is considered spam. I m not intending that.

https://www.greatlakesbiosystems.com...10123299160108
                  ______________________________ __________________________
                  Dr. Tuggle's Compound Syrup of Globe Flower

https://youtu.be/x0BinEFCp38?t=74

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87

Comment

first time grower

Ive used peat moss 50% and perlite 50% for 15 gallon (3 gallon each)

Should I order worm casting or else to add to the mix?

I also have 4-4-4 all purpose gaia green.

Comment

Originally posted by Respectbeer420 View Post
                      Ive used peat moss 50% and perlite 50% for 15 gallon (3 gallon each)

Should I order worm casting or else to add to the mix?

I also have 4-4-4 all purpose gaia green.
                      Well it depends, if you are trying to follow this guide, it would be 60% peat, 20% perlite, and 20% ewc

Comment

New Question

I've recently come back to my roots from a couple of years of hydroponics and want to try something I have not done before with Organic gardening.
                        I want to try a small cover crop and I actually have some Rye Grass seed laying around. Does anyone have experience with using a grass seed to help maintain the moisture it the top of their pots indoors?
                        The top two inches or so in my indoor pots are always dry and some cover crop or mulch would help here but what to use is my question.
                        Rye, Clover or moss maybe? Any other suggestions?

Comment

I've used clover. It grows in vermont like nothing else....4 leaf clover type....shit man you could pour rinsed chunky perlite two inches deep on top couldn't ya?
                          I eat legos

Comment

Originally posted by hayday View Post
                            The top two inches or so in my indoor pots are always dry and some cover crop or mulch would help here but what to use is my question. Any other suggestions?

blumats.
                            don't sing if you want to live long! they have no use for your song...

ON HIATUS--LIFE

Comment

I am trying to make my own soil and its been 20 years since I did this.

From page 1 I did LC's mix #1 and did half and half from each of the amendment food source recipes, #1 and #2.

I tried to cook the mix for a month. I saw organic activity for about 10 days then nothing and the smell went from chemical to very little over the last 4 weeks.

I am worried I may have added to much guano/meals to the mix. Can I check the runoff with Organic Soil to see if its too hot?

If it is too hot how do I fix it?

I tried to check ec after watering .5 gal of the soil with .4 ec tap water and got 3.2ec coming out?

Thank you
                              LT

Tired of paying for fox farm.
                              LostTribe

C99 The Ultimate Search and Rescue Mission
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=334331

Treating Cancer with Concentrates
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301121

Comment

Originally posted by LostTribe View Post
                                I am trying to make my own soil and its been 20 years since I did this.

From page 1 I did LC's mix #1 and did half and half from each of the amendment food source recipes, #1 and #2.

I tried to cook the mix for a month. I saw organic activity for about 10 days then nothing and the smell went from chemical to very little over the last 4 weeks.

I am worried I may have added to much guano/meals to the mix. Can I check the runoff with Organic Soil to see if its too hot?

If it is too hot how do I fix it?

I tried to check ec after watering .5 gal of the soil with .4 ec tap water and got 3.2ec coming out?

Thank you
                                LT

Tired of paying for fox farm.
                                bit late on the response but that sounds normal.
                                usually when you "cook" soil it smells kinda funky for the first week or so as the stuff breaks down. and then you know its ready to go once it gets a "fresh" type of soil smell. so pretty much what you described.
                                Chronic Smoker
                                "Wanna get high?"

Threads:
                                -Chronics Headstash Garden
                                https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=374169
                                -Cindy 99 and Friends
                                https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=377906
                                -Just a lil bit
                                https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=379006

Comment

Working...
                                X