First try and recycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt.Cheeze1 View Post
    Nice...this is good news. I have a feeling this will work out fine.
    This is really is an experiment because I don't know what the outcome will be, but I had a strong feeling that this would work.

Originally posted by LittleAmsterdam View Post
    Here's a couple things to watch out for.

a. A thorough flush is required to wash away any unused PPMs. Small clones don't like HOT soil.

b. Capture and measure the runoff created to get an idea on the PH and PPM left in the medium.
    Yeah, but this a PPM, pH, and run-off free zone (no drainage holes).

In all seriousness, the old soil was apparently pretty well depleted of nutrients in the prior grow. The only threat to the plants is that they would starve before I could get the soil going again. Luckily, it didn't take very long.

Pine
    No rest, No-till soil-coco recycling experiment

Early sexing of cannabis plants

Comment

update

The plants are very healthy. I would rate them as 10/10 on my 1-10 scale. They were switched to 12/12 on April 13, 2011 – or after about 2-weeks from transplant. I wanted to wait a bit longer, but they were growing really fast and I was worried about being overgrown. Height shouldn’t be an issue, but the footprint of my 400w cab is only 30”(wide)x24.5” deep and can only support so much plant mass.

I grew SSH previously and was so concerned about the vertical stretch that I underfed a bit and the resulting yield was not great, with the two SSH plants taking up half my cab and yielding a combined 3 oz. This time I’m not going to make the same mistake. Since the last update I’ve top dressed with
      - 1 cup of dolomite lime,
      - 1 cup of gypsum, (after I read that CC1 uses it)
      - 1 cup of the guano flowering mix (approximately 1 part each of EWC, high N guano, high P guano, and kelp meal),
      - and 1 cup of high N guano.
      This might seem like a lot of stuff, but the guano is slow release in my experience and the my tote holds 20 gallons or so of mix.

Also, I’m going out of town for 5 days so I watered the plants in really well and removed the paint cans that I was using to get the plants closer to the light. I now have one foot of clearance between the plant tops and the light which should be fine for 5 days of stretch). I gave the plants 2-gallons of water this morning, whereas I’ve been giving them about 0.5 gallons per day. I might water in another gallon early tomorrow before I leave just to make sure things stay properly hydrated. I could easily lift the tote this morning after watering in the 2 gallons so the soil-coco-mix isn’t anywhere near saturated. Since I’ve gone to this tote system there have been a few times where it was heavy enough that it was a bit of a strain to lift.

Stay safe and happy 4/20,

Pine

Front shot: They have stretched a bit already.

Top shot: It is hard to tell where one plant ends and the other begins now

Under the canopy: You can see a chunk of the root that I cut out of the plant that was in the tote before. Most of my cannamulch got mixed in to the top layer with all the top dressings.

The cab this morning:

Comment

looking great it only gets better and better from here on out as long as you take care of the soil.
        “Everything is written in the book of nature. This book is always open.” sepp holzer

Comment

Looking good....I'm still thinking things will be fine.
          BMR in flower
          https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=170303

Topsoil in the soil mix
          https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=153542

Provider for cardholders organic medicine and organic medicated edibles..."we're primed and we're ready to go toe to toe with disease"

Comment

They are a picture of good health! Going to keep an eye on this one to see how the no-till method pans out.
            Snowryder UK outdoor grow

Comment

I'm pleased it's working well for you. As you are topdressing keep the mulch layer thick so the 'topdressed' layer is in the moist active zone. The plants are providing nice shelter for the soil now but nothing beats a mulch layer for activity, just peel it back and take a look, it's probably alive under there like mine.

Watch out for deficiencies so you know if anything specifically needs adressing between grows.

Have a nice trip see ya soon.
              I'm in it for the tomatoes. I been growing tomatoes for a long long time. Sometimes I get to thinking I know everything about tomatoes.
              My tomatoes make me completely delusional.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words people. I'm really happy with the results and ease thus far.

Originally posted by MrFista View Post
                As you are topdressing keep the mulch layer thick so the 'topdressed' layer is in the moist active zone.
                Short of buying something (what would I buy?) or harvesting something from outside (partially decomposed yard waste?) all I have is plant material. This the tote has so much surface area that it is difficult to generate enough mulch via plant material. This said I did do a significant amount of pruning which generated a bunch of leafs and stems. When I got back today I top-dressed with about an inch of local compost product (contains composted leafs and EWC) and mulched with the pruned leafs and stems.

Pine

You think this is good enough for now? As the plants keep stretching and side branching they will generate additional plant material from pruning which I will use for mulch.

The cab today after pruning and super-cropping. The plant on the right is larger and stretchier. I'm trying to even the canopy out as much as possible via hurd crushing and crimping on the right hand side plant. I'm also trying prune all side branches so that I can have fewer, but longer, colas.

Comment

I would chop up that mulch coarsely... especially the twiggy stuff.

Comment

I do the exact same thing with my leaves. They break down pretty quick and you'll maybe notice that the nitrogen in those leaves cycle back through the loop pretty quick as well. I let the bugs do all the work,I just throw them in there as is.
                    BMR in flower

Topsoil in the soil mix

Provider for cardholders organic medicine and organic medicated edibles..."we're primed and we're ready to go toe to toe with disease"

Comment

Short of buying something (what would I buy?) or harvesting something from outside (partially decomposed yard waste?)
                      use plant material from outside, and things that wont root while laying on the ground and things that have gone to seed are also a no no. i like to use weeds as most of them are dynamic accumulators, im sure fista will agree.
                      “Everything is written in the book of nature. This book is always open.” sepp holzer

Comment

Sometimes I grab a hand full of leaves and mop up the "mud" around the pots and then throw them back in. I'm really surprised how fast they break down. It's a great mulch too.
                        BMR in flower

Topsoil in the soil mix

Comment

Originally posted by mad librettist View Post
                          I would chop up that mulch coarsely... especially the twiggy stuff.
                          Thank for chiming in. I usually try to chop up the woody stuff. What I cut off yesterday was "tender" new flowering growth which breaks down quickly in my experience.

Originally posted by Capt.Cheeze1 View Post
                          I'm really surprised how fast they break down. It's a great mulch too.
                          Within a week they are usually "crispy" and yellow-brown. Even what looked like a decent amount of mulch material yesterday looks a bit inadequate today.

Originally posted by jaykush View Post
                          use plant material from outside, and things that wont root while laying on the ground and things that have gone to seed are also a no no. i like to use weeds as most of them are dynamic accumulators, im sure fista will agree.
                          In a few weeks this will work well. Right now not much is growing around here. We have had a really cold spring that has set things back a few weeks.

I've got some leafs on the patio that are mixed in with spilled natural charcoal from the grill. I think I'm going to grab a bunch of this stuff today, put it in a bag, run it over with the car a few times, and use it as mulch.

Thanks for the input guys

Pine

Comment

Thank for chiming in. I usually try to chop up the woody stuff. What I cut off yesterday was "tender" new flowering growth which breaks down quickly in my experience.
                            actually the reason I chop is that I get better moisture retention that way.

Comment

In a few weeks this will work well. Right now not much is growing around here. We have had a really cold spring that has set things back a few weeks.
                              what is growing, there's gotta be something unless your in the arctic or something.

i wouldnt use the char as a top dressing, unless you only add a little bit. gotta be 100% raw natural charcoal. if it wasent just a tree that was chopped and charred its not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by jaykush View Post
                                what is growing, there's gotta be something unless your in the arctic or something.
                                Normally lots of stuff by now, but we have had an exceptionally cold spring, including late snow storms. The grass on my lawn just started to green within the past few week. It isn't really growing yet though. Normal greening time for grass here is early April. There are some wild onion type things that are coming up and a few small weeds and such. For instance I did notice some creeping charlie just starting to come up.

i wouldnt use the char as a top dressing, unless you only add a little bit. gotta be 100% raw natural charcoal. if it wasent just a tree that was chopped and charred its not worth it.
                                I did what I said I was going to do and gathered some leaf material along with a bit of spilled charcoal, put it in a bag, and drove over it. The charcoal didn't really break into dust the way I expected it do (probably the padding from the leaf material), so I just picked up the leaf material out of the bag and used it for mulch. There was a small amount of char dust on it, but not anything substantial.

I cook outside almost everyday starting about this time of year and extending through September. I made the switch to natural hardwood charcoal many years ago and noted a huge improvement over briquettes. Switch if you haven't already - and also get a chimney starter. Huge difference makers IMO.

Pine

Comment

Working...
                                X