What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Haze discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Did Nevil have any background in breeding before he started his business? If not, where did he learn the basics? The time frame and results do not suggest it was just trial and error.

unnamedmike

Did Nevil have any background in breeding before he started his business? If not, where did he learn the basics? The time frame and results do not suggest it was just trial and error.

Nevil was fish breeder, kois if im not wrong.
Just writing neville schoenmakers koi in any search engine show links talking about.

GreenAndFast

Last weekend we were in the studio doing some mixing work, i only brought some original haze buds for me and my buddy...
Not yet cured(1 month only), it smoked smooth and nice, a bit sharp on the throat but manageable.
The effect was almost instant, mild at first, started creeping and rising the highness over half hour. We were in a state of bliss and happyness with a hint of speed increase, compared to almost any other smoke.
A guy who was not smoking said the herb seemed kind of sharp, ithink this is the way most couch lovers identify a sativa vibe
Pulse was increased so we finished the work earlier than expected, we previously smoked hybrids and got lazier with every toke. Not with haze, it keeps you active even when sitting down :)
The smell was of frankincense and slight mint sharpness, a kind of medicinal vibe to her.

Cheers

Sounds excellent man 👍

djonkoman

Veteran

I have an education related to plant breeding. when I read nevils old posts on mns it's clear to me he had a decent understanding of genetics and breeding theory. I wouldn't say professional legal plant breeder level (but, my education is more recent ofcourse, science has advanced since the 80's/90's, so some of that could be atributed to progress), but way more than I've seen most in the cannabis scene display in public. but, I think he also had a good breeder intuition/instinct besides the theory. to me his posts read practical, down to earth.
I got the idea his perspective came more from the animal breeding world (the talk about specfic 'sires' for example, with plants I'm used to thinking more about populations than about individuals), and he adapted what he knew from there to plants.

I think he bred multiple animals, not just koi. didn't he start off with birds or so?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I'd imagine he visited a library. The old school way. I bet they have a book or two on that subject in dutch.

harvestreaper

Veteran
i believe neville bred dogs ,, im sure hempy will know for sure,,,im so grateful my understanding of all this comes pre internet oooeee must me tuff to begin today

Limeygreen

Veteran
i believe neville bred dogs ,, im sure hempy will know for sure,,,im so grateful my understanding of all this comes pre internet oooeee must me tuff to begin today

I believe he had bred birds, parakeets or budgies I think it was but could be wrong, no idea on the dogs.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I believe he had bred birds, parakeets or budgies I think it was but could be wrong, no idea on the dogs.

I get my threads mixed up. (Like my earlier post about the weather to StarCrash FP, I though I was in Stars thread)
but I think I read early in this thread that he bred budgies?
HEMPY was that you?

regseeds

I have an education related to plant breeding. when I read nevils old posts on mns it's clear to me he had a decent understanding of genetics and breeding theory. I wouldn't say professional legal plant breeder level (but, my education is more recent ofcourse, science has advanced since the 80's/90's, so some of that could be atributed to progress), but way more than I've seen most in the cannabis scene display in public. but, I think he also had a good breeder intuition/instinct besides the theory. to me his posts read practical, down to earth.
I got the idea his perspective came more from the animal breeding world (the talk about specfic 'sires' for example, with plants I'm used to thinking more about populations than about individuals), and he adapted what he knew from there to plants.

I think he bred multiple animals, not just koi. didn't he start off with birds or so?

Good points, I think the reason he was extremely successful was because he was not a academic but a autodidact that could pull specific knowledge from all the other domains he experienced i.e. Chrysanthemums, Budgies etc

Taleb coined a term "The Intellectual Yet Idiot" most academics suffer from this, they overthink rudimentary basics. To my knowledge he had a mentor that shaped his philosophy towards Line Breeding and the rest was history

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
from Wikipedia >>>> Nevil Schoenmakers was born in Perth, Western Australia to Dutch parents, Schoenmakers moved to the Netherlands in 1976. There he started growing cannabis for personal use. He soon discovered that the commercially available Thai, Colombian and African strains did not perform well in the Netherlands's northern European climate, nor indoors under artificial lighting. Realizing that the solution to the problem was better genetics, he decided that the best way to obtain good genetics was to start a seed bank, and in 1984 Schoenmakers established "The Seedbank." It was around this time that he met David Paul Watson, a cannabis collector and breeder from California better known as "Sam the Skunkman." Schoenmakers was able to purchase from Watson the premier Californian varieties "Original Haze", "Skunk #1", "Early Girl" and "California Orange."[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] From then on, Schoenmakers collected many potent cannabis strains and crossed them to create his own strains. In the process he was able to cross equatorial sativas with Afghani indicas to create strains that were more suited to the temperate climates and indoor growing mediums of his European and U.S. customers. By 1986, Schoenmakers's cannabis seed company had become a runaway success with sales to more than 15,000 different growers in the United States alone.[SUP][3][/SUP]

In 1990 Schoenmakers became a target of the DEA Operation Green Merchant and an indictment had been lodged in New Orleans, charging him with the sale of marijuana seeds to undercover agents and indoor growers in the New Orleans area. On 24 July 1990, he was arrested by the Australian authorities at the request of the U.S. government while visiting family in Perth.[SUP][4][/SUP] Schoenmakers was incarcerated in Fremantle jail for almost a year without bail while awaiting his extradition hearing. On 21 June 1991, just weeks before the date of his Federal Court hearing, he was finally granted bail[SUP][why?][/SUP] and subsequently disappeared from Australia.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] For some time after Schoenmakers's return to the Netherlands, he was on the FBI's most wanted list, but because his activities were legal under Dutch law his extradition was refused and the charges were ultimately dropped. In 1991 Schoenmakers sold The Seed Bank to Sensi Seeds where he worked for a short time as their head breeder, before founding the Greenhouse Seed company with Arjan Roskam. By 1998, and widely regarded as the most successful modern cannabis breeder with multiple High Times Cannabis Cup wins, Schoenmakers sold his share of Greenhouse Seeds and left the limelight to focus on other interests.

In recent years, Schoenmakers has become involved in the movement to legalise medicinal cannabis in Australia. He recently coauthored a submission to a NSW government inquiry into the matter.[SUP][5][/SUP] Nevil Schoenmakers died on 30 March 2019 after a fight with cancer.
I

Schoenmakers was described by High Times magazine in 1985 as the "King of Cannabis".[SUP][6][/SUP] he was the first cannabis breeder to export cannabis seeds from the Netherlands to the rest of the world, and is credited with creating many of the most popular award winning strains, such as Nevil's Haze,[SUP][7][/SUP] Northern Lights Haze, Super Silver Haze, Nevil's Skunk, Super Skunk, Silver Pearl, Silver Haze and many others. His breeding with Northern Lights, a mostly Indica strain originally developed in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, became an inspiration for indoor Indicas, and the Northern Lights genetics are found in the pedigrees of nearly all of the best modern Indica lines. He is best remembered for the F1 hybrid Northern Lights 5 X Haze. This hybrid and its daughters have dominated the Cannabis Cup from the 1980s to the present day. The original Northern Lights 5 X Haze plant of Nevil's has been living on through clones[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] and still wins championship awards. It is this cross that led to many of the modern medicinal strains that are popular today.
References[edit]
  1. ^ obituaries in WestAnnouncements
  2. ^ Nevils Haze
  3. ^ "Inside Cannabis Castle!!! The incredible story of the man who would be King of Cannabis".
  4. ^ "The story of the man who would be King of Cannabis'".
  5. ^ "Inquiry into the use of cannabis for medical purposes" (PDF).
  6. ^ "The Man who would be King of Cannabis".
  7. ^ "The Cannabis strain 'Nevil's Haze'".
External links

JohnnyChicago

Last weekend we were in the studio doing some mixing work, i only brought some original haze buds for me and my buddy...
Not yet cured(1 month only), it smoked smooth and nice, a bit sharp on the throat but manageable.
The effect was almost instant, mild at first, started creeping and rising the highness over half hour. We were in a state of bliss and happyness with a hint of speed increase, compared to almost any other smoke.
A guy who was not smoking said the herb seemed kind of sharp, ithink this is the way most couch lovers identify a sativa vibe
Pulse was increased so we finished the work earlier than expected, we previously smoked hybrids and got lazier with every toke. Not with haze, it keeps you active even when sitting down :)
The smell was of frankincense and slight mint sharpness, a kind of medicinal vibe to her.

Cheers

Thanks for the smoke report!

The Seedsman you got from me, Todds Original Haze or something else? :)

Piff_cat

Dont be discouraged......me personally I dont understand the tech properly...an most likely not everyone else does either...but I will educate myself on it now.....some of the methods piff catt is using are being used now an will be a major tool used in the future to breed....it would be nice if others who know more about this tech to support some of our youngers.....
let me do abit of research piff an il pm you to talk about some of the questions you asked me.

​​​​​​wonder if you can look something up for me....can you get the chart for dna's 5A or if you can find a f1 5C thats been looked at....and also something called Amsterdam mist (sometimes called Amsterdam haze)....I think one of the parents for it were selected from tens of thousands of plants....we should get a better picture if both of these have been done.

I will definitely look for the 5c. Best I've found so far Is sammys a5 and nh that ace tested. The terpene tests are just now starting to include the relevant oxygenated terpenes in the tests . Ace has now started to use these and provide alot of info. When testing cannabinoids cbc and cbd are very close on tge retention scale which has led to them being lumped together which is also deceiving. But recently better tests have been used so soon both will be reliable. Ino cbc is very important to haze. It's essentially tge opposite of cbd. Increases thc potential and slows down its metabolism. Cbg has now been found to be an active cannabinood at cr 1. It decreased ocular pressure and boosts serotonin. Many of tge african/se asian strains are high in cbg it is no longer looked at as just tge precursor for thc. See what I can dig up on 5c and we'll see!

Big Nasty

Funny when we are saying not finding males is unlucky. They are out there but like Sam’s, Tom’s, etc. OTH leans more female than male. Took a look at your pics. Did you grow anything out from those two males? Suspect the longer flowering has more to offer. But just a guess.

I'm growing the seeds i made with the fast flowering male atm,the OTH is dominant,i see a lot of stretch,increased flowering time and the smell is more on the haze side right now.
Flower structure and resin coverage also improved.
I crossed the same mothers to the other male because i want to build several lines,i did kind of an open pollination with males and females of both the strains putting a mark on each pollinated bud just to know who are the parents.
Anyway back to pure haze...

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran

Hi! You are right indeed my friend, indeed animal breeding background, he did a lot of work with horses too from what I know.

Best.

JohnnyChicago

Seems like the standard of proof in this thread is ... cuz I said so. What progress is being made? Just this week I've made an actual scientific discovery on hazes progenitors following nevs and dj9 ideas. I wish we could actually discuss it, but apparently this is more about popularity then science. Anyone could look at the evidence and see that something was very different and primordial in haze a and c. Here are some profiles of the plants which form the small se asian clade which includes nevs progeny. Take a look at the linalool and cbg.....

Not seen any progress in the last 2 years in this thread? Are you sure you are speaking of Haze?

OH has been tested high THC.
1.26% CBG
Linalool very low.
Myrcene highest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts