What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Black Tuna same as regular Tuna?

mazar_man

the fact that the "Montreal Chemo" came with explicit instructions that it is spelled with a "K" is interesting considering your friends mislabeling.

Tynehead Tom

I met sandy in summer 88. It's possible the Kimo arrived pre 1990.
There were 3 of us that day, sandy, pete from the island and myself. Sitting on the couch playing video games. I was a young pup in this crowd. Sandy looked like the biker version of Gandalf LOL. Anyhow, a fellow arrives and for the life of me I can't remember his name. he was maybe in his late 20's and had been studying plant sciences and research at UBC and had graduated his program. It's a tall story to say you were in the room when Kimo got into public hands, but that's my story and I'm stickin to it ;)
the continuation of that story is that the Kimo and a certain purple afghani and some other seed form varieties around back then in Vancouver, were feverishly bred with that kimo to go on to become many of the hard hitting "clone only's" on the Vancouver scene and clear across Canada.
I never saw it called "chemo" until I saw it listed in seed bank adds.

mazar_man

I met sandy in summer 88. It's possible the Kimo arrived pre 1990.
There were 3 of us that day, sandy, pete from the island and myself. Sitting on the couch playing video games. I was a young pup in this crowd. Sandy looked like the biker version of Gandalf LOL. Anyhow, a fellow arrives and for the life of me I can't remember his name. he was maybe in his late 20's and had been studying plant sciences and research at UBC and had graduated his program. It's a tall story to say you were in the room when Kimo got into public hands, but that's my story and I'm stickin to it ;)
the continuation of that story is that the Kimo and a certain purple afghani and some other seed form varieties around back then in Vancouver, were feverishly bred with that kimo to go on to become many of the hard hitting "clone only's" on the Vancouver scene and clear across Canada.
I never saw it called "chemo" until I saw it listed in seed bank adds.

cool info TT -now that I think about the two times I saw chemo seeds back in some early ontario seed outlets they were both spelled kemo too.. I just figured dumb stoners couldn't spell lol. But did the cut actually come from the lab or was it something that just came from the Ubc grad that he developed in his basement or somethin?

Tynehead Tom

the cuts came from the research garden. They were not even rooted yet. they were cut and each one was in one of those rubber capped clear green tubes, like gardeners put rose cuts in or stick on the end of floral cuts to keep them fresh.
they were truly freaks and had no real structure. When they rooted and first started throwing out new growth under the 1000 watt halides, they threw a bunch of single blade 4 or 5 " long frosty edged dark green leaves with no serrations . stems and leaf veins had lots of deep red colours. None of us had grown or smoked anything quite like it up till that point.
I lost track of sandy for many years but have talked him quite a bit in the past few. he hasn't grown a plant in a long time now but always seems to have a nice little chunk of imported hash whenever I see him LOL

mazar_man

Back tothe Tuna cut when the cans were all the rage, Reeferman mentioned on a different forum that he sourced the cut from the tuna can guys and I believe he said multiple cuts were being packed liked that and the one he got was a "lemon hashplant"-believe what you want out of that one, I usually take reefertales with some salt personally.

Definatefly strong as heck though and I would be very surprised if it is related to the main modern 'kushes" og, bubba, etc.

Tynehead Tom

ya, I've come to the conclusion that Black Tuna pre-dates reeferman tuna but I do not doubt that Black Tuna could be the "Tuna" in reeferman's Tuna Kush. It's a pretty plausible theory, and with a lack of any other old hand tokers/growers throwing in their angle, I'm probably gonna stick to my assumption ;)

There is a homepage for 5star organics if you hit up google. They send all their strains out in fish tins apparently. 5 star organics seems to be the originators of the Black Tuna according to google fwiw.

rykus

I grew out seeds that an older guy I shared weed and seeds with gave me, he said they where the best seeds they ever got in Ontario in 1980 or 1981. He said they had grow them out in the fields there and it was so strong they had kept all the seed when he moved west.

Anyways I though meh, Ontario, 1980... Can't be that great...couldn't be more wrong. They where bang on for the dryer darker Kush plants like purple and some of the masters.

Pure landrace hash varieties sometimes hit the east coast around then I guess.....

I think a lot of our local cultivars are based on those earlier ones, just with the licences they quit the low odour varieties and started up the old Kush smelling ones, then the crossed back in the Hash plants for bigger stretch and yield ended up in the pink and the Tuna would be my guess...the hash plant definitely has the ribbon stem trait of chemo/kemo.

Easy to see if the Tuna is half HP, cross with my HP male and if comes out any Kush then not HP cross... When I did the pink I got no Kush smell... But the purple did because is not HP cross already.

CoCoSativas

ya, I've come to the conclusion that Black Tuna pre-dates reeferman tuna but I do not doubt that Black Tuna could be the "Tuna" in reeferman's Tuna Kush. It's a pretty plausible theory, and with a lack of any other old hand tokers/growers throwing in their angle, I'm probably gonna stick to my assumption ;)

There is a homepage for 5star organics if you hit up google. They send all their strains out in fish tins apparently. 5 star organics seems to be the originators of the Black Tuna according to google fwiw.

Reefs tuna is the ibl of tuna can kush thats everywhere.

Its hard to say what came first.

Googles not always reliable. I dont think the cans were filled with black tuna it was a og for sure different shit

If googles right about black tunas genetics thats not what was in the can.

Also looking at what tuna kush i have is and hearin its a og, idk i dont think your black tuna cut is at all a og

Tynehead Tom

ya, would be cool if Charles would chime in. Wonder if he is familiar with or associated with 5 star organics (Vancouver bc).
I'm sure he could enlighten us on his history of the Tuna, Black or otherwise ;)

for now, I'm gonna put that all aside and grow these bitches ;)
the 4 in the flower tent under the 940 super ace are kickin into high gear. getting big fans forming and they are about 14" tall and I'm hitting a good inch a day over all new growth. vitually no node stretch, healthy clones could be taken from each of the 4 plants already. I fricken like this plant ;)
The guy I got it from doubted it would perform SOG so this is an experiment. They got 10 days veg from poorly transported clones, bare roots poking out of peat pucks, loose in a safeway bag on the seat of my truck LOL. vegged under 4x 4foot 4100K florescents in 3/4 gallon sunshine mix and lucas formula GH flora 1/2 strength 2 feedings and full the last (8ml micro/16bloom ph 6.3). No hairs yet but any day now.
I've got the males (2 x shisk3 and 1 nuken) isolated under those 4100K floros for 12/12

the 5th plant that had the top broke off on that nasty trip to my place in the safeway bag, is gonna be the mom. I am doing a daily training ritual, bending and twisting the two limbs away from each other and keeping them horizontal. Then I'm gently bending at each node and gently bending each new growth at the nodes up and out. I'm going to keep going horizontal straight out of the pot to both sides, then i'll take each shoot and start training them straight out horizontally at 90 degrees to the two mains. Eventually, it should be a never ending production of healthy tops for taking trays of clones. Just gotta keep it healthy ;)
damn I'm having fun with this ;)

Tynehead Tom

so check this out, I know I posted this in the "what crosses are you planning thread" but I'm excited about this.
The Tuna is an 8/9 week plant and while I'm okay with that, I want to try and make a hybrid (polyhybrid?) that is faster. Shiskaberry is notoriously fast, coming in at under 49 days with surprising yields for it's short flowering time. At least that was my experience years ago with the shisk. Selecting a nice fast male generally saw the fast traits passing on in the progeny. So I present to you one very fast flowering male shiskaberry 3 that smells like sugar coated strawberries. It's not the mango/skunky/funky/bubblegum smell I get from stem rubs of the "keeper" pheno I'm hunting for but it's is nice nonetheless.
it's kinda hard to judge a finished plant by stem rubs tho, but it's useful for pheno hunting a known variety.
here he is with the pic taken about 1 week in , should make a good pairing with the Black Tuna. If I get an abundance of seed and people are interested, I'll volunteer the surplus for the icmag fundraiser.
picture.php

picture.php

what do you guys think?

CoCoSativas

ya, would be cool if Charles would chime in. Wonder if he is familiar with or associated with 5 star organics (Vancouver bc).
I'm sure he could enlighten us on his history of the Tuna, Black or otherwise ;)

for now, I'm gonna put that all aside and grow these bitches ;)
the 4 in the flower tent under the 940 super ace are kickin into high gear. getting big fans forming and they are about 14" tall and I'm hitting a good inch a day over all new growth. vitually no node stretch, healthy clones could be taken from each of the 4 plants already. I fricken like this plant ;)
The guy I got it from doubted it would perform SOG so this is an experiment. They got 10 days veg from poorly transported clones, bare roots poking out of peat pucks, loose in a safeway bag on the seat of my truck LOL. vegged under 4x 4foot 4100K florescents in 3/4 gallon sunshine mix and lucas formula GH flora 1/2 strength 2 feedings and full the last (8ml micro/16bloom ph 6.3). No hairs yet but any day now.
I've got the males (2 x shisk3 and 1 nuken) isolated under those 4100K floros for 12/12

the 5th plant that had the top broke off on that nasty trip to my place in the safeway bag, is gonna be the mom. I am doing a daily training ritual, bending and twisting the two limbs away from each other and keeping them horizontal. Then I'm gently bending at each node and gently bending each new growth at the nodes up and out. I'm going to keep going horizontal straight out of the pot to both sides, then i'll take each shoot and start training them straight out horizontally at 90 degrees to the two mains. Eventually, it should be a never ending production of healthy tops for taking trays of clones. Just gotta keep it healthy ;)
damn I'm having fun with this ;)

Dont count on charles popping by he dosemt bother keep up with his testers lol. I dont bother to text or try contacting him. Hes "to busy" to bother return a message. Hes a decent guy, has good shit and whatever. Hes a great wealth of knowledge but too hard to get ahold of for me to bother period. If you donr anser a text you must be busy flying a kite or something idk...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Dont count on charles popping by he dosemt bother keep up with his testers lol. I dont bother to text or try contacting him. Hes "to busy" to bother return a message. Hes a decent guy, has good shit and whatever. Hes a great wealth of knowledge but too hard to get ahold of for me to bother period. If you donr anser a text you must be busy flying a kite or something idk...

Sounds like a grower with more to do in life than play on his computer and answer questions.

Tynehead Tom

Black Tuna pics taken today. Pulled this one from the flower tent for a quick couple pics.
I see no reason why not to only veg these a week and flip. I went 10 days under floros from march 28, so they have been in the flower tent for about 5 days now I guess.
Stretching for the sky but keeping nice tight nodes and minimal branching. Might nip off any branches that want to stretch out. I'm hoping for about a 20" finished plant with most of the bud forming a big cola. I'm really hoping I can adapt this variety to SOG.
picture.php

picture.php

and the bonsai mom in her 3/4 gallon pot getting stem twisted and stretched out.
picture.php

rykus

The lemon hash plant went around here too, not the same as tuna, and grew huge but shrank a lot.... Was also spread out as G13/hashplant, same cut though...

I had seeds of that crossed with my old males but they were too old n didn't pop... Too bad.

Those tuna are looking nice Tynehead! Be nice to get more colour and some extra flavours out of the Kush.

Tynehead Tom

If she turns out anything like the sample jar she came with, i'll be very happy.
I also can't wait to make seeds with the shiska and nuken males. Should be super fun hunting thru the F1's for a new and exciting keeper cut.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I won the bagseed lottery when I bought a nice sack of Black Tuna a few years ago. I found 10 seeds that all sprouted and turned into healthy females. Since all ten were female I suspect my Back Tuna seedlings I have are S1 seeds from the Black Tuna cut out BC way. I suspect the Black Tuna cut is intersex to some extent. I unfortunately don't have the BC cut myself.

Anyway the original was really great herb... but I got lucky and my 10 females were each slightly different than each other, yet still distinctly Black Tuna. The unlucky part was the continued intersex. I picked 3 of the best, and have tested them extensively and crossed them to other strains. The Tuna crosses are really good smoke, and I was able to make crosses with a single Black Tuna female(in the first picture below)that are not showing any intersex problems. The crosses are heavily dominated by the Black Tuna making for easy breeding if you are looking for more Tuna type strains(we are!!). The Black Tuna is weak to PM, but mites seem not to like it too much, at least compared to our PK, NL and Chemo. The upside and reason we smoke, grow and breed with it anyway, is the heavy Indica stone. It is great medication and a great flavor as well.

Here are some pictures of our Black Tuna mums

picture.php
picture.php

Tynehead Tom

very nice ;)

No bag seeds in the jars (or cans) I've had over the years but now that you've told that story, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for them. There a few folks I know that are excited about what I plan to do with this cut. it's power weed for sure. No reports of PM problems but I watch humidity like a hawk to at least keep conditions unfavorable for those kinds of nasties. Mites don't seem to be much of a problem up here but white flies and thips are known enemies. I am prepared on all fronts tho ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts