What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

where does the double serration come from

I know this is an old thread, but my NL5/Haze, SSH, and anything crossed with them have this. The NL5/Haze more than anything. I think it looks like alligator mouths when the leaf edges point up. :)

bioguy

3 of the 4 strains I'm growing have this trait. This is the only similarity between any of the strains. I suspect its a highly dominant gene that has been spread far and wide.

Has anyone ever had a plant where all of the leaves did this? Mine only do it on some leaves not all...to varying degrees.

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
Digi berry has them. Dank Frank has done theories about the relationship of the double serrations and the quality. Here's a shot of my bluedigiberry f2s from verdant green seeds. It's (digi bx1 X dutch passion blueberry)...I think?

-gil

N

new3

double serr = three different kinds of trichromes
pinhead, medium, long

check for yourself against the least serrated plants

maybe its linked to extra capillitation which would also give the plant more ability to achieve photosynthesis
also plants grow using math believe it or not so I think it also a pattern trying to reproduce itself to achieve more sun absorbing efficiency
surface area is probably secondary to capillitation but they are deffinately linked and it deffinately does not hurt it's growth

(probably to support a more drug like plant) than another who is more closely related to hemp, its like the plant knows its purpose just needs you to follow the patterns you need to follow to achieve what you want for yourself

mack 10

Veteran
double serr = three different kinds of trichromes
pinhead, medium, long

also plants grow using math believe it or not so I think it also a pattern trying to reproduce itself to achieve more sun absorbing efficiency

On the double serrations? hummm.. I'll go check, whats pinhead? you mean sessile? capitate sessile and stalked glands?

On the maths ? i call BS.

N

new3

plants grow according to math to absorb more sunlight , so lemme put some of that shit back in your mouth, even mutants grow, according to math, all in an effort to absorb the most sunlight and achieve various tasks, mainly its just a characteristic of how they grow. it only makes sense the more evolved ones would have more patterns, as far as those other words yeah buddy pinhead, medium and long.

heres a link to a youtube vid:

you might just learn something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXIMUkSXX0

Olifant

I wouldn't call it a mutation, and I've seen plenty of less than desirable plants with this trait. Seen it a lot in Afghani #1 and skunk 1 derived lines but seen it around in odd places as well. It has been postulated in a journal or two that THC or rather THCA serves a role in leaf expansion, perhaps doubled serration is the result of the some type of rapid leaf expansion.

New3, could you define what you mean when you say more evolved plants?

N

new3

not saying the more heavily serrated plants are mutations they are evolutions just being pointed in another direction, merely pointing out if a plants growth is interrupted it would still try to put out new growth in the most efficient way in order to use less energy, and these patterns can be broken down into mathematic equations EVEN if something disturbs its growth or is dissimilar from the rest but the general populous generally gentecially drifts toward s making it easier for them to grow and reproduce making it imposiible for this not to be an evolution

if a plant has more capillaries to move energy easier it makes energy for other tasks more available to accomplish more strenuous tasks ie:seedmaking, medicine producing, respiration and releasing osmotic pressure from the roots(less prone to root rot)

Here is a good example of double serrations on a Jack Herer clone circa early 2,000's. I would guess that the double serrations originate from the Skunk or NL in it's genetics. Both seem to get a lot of mentions in this thread, especially skunk and it's hybrids.

picture.php

Last edited:

pete moss

Since Brothers Grimm cubed their Cindy 99 with a shiva skunk and its a pretty dom trait with the Cindys, Skunk lineage makes alot of sense.

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
I have seen it in lots of land race genetics. Afghans as well. Mainly skunks. The local legend here in South Eastern Ky "Ky Roadkill Skunk" has double serrations. Also seen it very dominant in FMS c99 with a few runs I did with her in the past.